PDA

View Full Version : South LA/ South Bay CGSociety Chapter

richcz3
05-12-2005, 04:39 PM
South LA/ South Bay CGSociety Chapter

Mission statement: Creative Project based meetings, software tutorials/demos, and pipeline discussions. I have access to a conference room. May even consider a nice big screen TV to play member demo reels. And what about parking? Well there's plenty of it. Of course anyone is welcome.

cell: 310-387-7464
Email: rich_even at yahoo.com

http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/forumpix/torrance_01.jpg
http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/forumpix/torrance_02.jpg
http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/forumpix/torrance_03.jpg

SkyZero
05-12-2005, 05:45 PM
You can count on me being there (assuming the date and time is right)! :thumbsup:

richcz3
05-13-2005, 03:46 AM
Hey Sky. Weekends are best for most people. Nailing a preffered time of day is key.
Heres a google map link so people can get their bearings. One of the Metro link lines stops a block away fro here for those who don't care to drive from deep LA.
>Google Map< (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1401+abalone+ave+Torrance&ll=33.854126,-118.271538&spn=0.089233,0.157250&hl=en)

CyberGolem
05-17-2005, 03:26 AM
Hi,

I'm in Orange County and willing to meet anywhere from Glendale/ Pasadena south ( <75 miles is good for me). I'd prefer not having to go into the valley though.

I love the idea of a weekend meeting, preferably mid-afternoon so I'm not driving late nights half asleep.

I assume from the pix that this thread is the same as the LA Chapter, possibly renamed?

Nice to meet you,
Chaz

SkyZero
05-17-2005, 03:43 AM
How's it going zchaz? I think it's the same as the LA chapter or at least a division of it I think. Hopefully we can get this thing off the ground so we can get into planning a possible time/place.

richcz3
05-17-2005, 04:17 AM
zchaz The location is a 30 minute drive north of OC. I have family and friends in the Anaheim/Tustin areas. The idea would be to have an afternoon meet as traffic is best at that time on most freeways.

SkyZero It would be great to get this past the planning stage. The general LA group is a hold over from a successful meet that happened last year. It was great, but organization, location, and scheduling has been in rut ever since. My place is freeway close and even has a Metro station close by for people who would prefer not to drive from LA. (See the google map in the previous post for directions) If not here then somewhere that can be met with certainty by all the members.

I have set some ideas for meeting in place and those are open to what members would like to add to generate interest. Part structure part open ended. I'm sure with enough people participating we could even work to get some guest speakers and/or software demonstrations.

SkyZero
05-17-2005, 05:10 AM
According to the Google Map, looks like about 26 miles from me, which is not too bad for me. Definitely a possibility! :thumbsup:

CyberGolem
05-18-2005, 03:52 AM
Things are well Sky -in spite of crunching for the E3 demos we're putting together tonight. Thanks for asking.

Nice to meet you too Rich.

Just let me know when and where to meet and I should be able to make it. My fianceť and I frequent Pasadena and the West Side often, so 30 minutes is certainly doable, so is an hour. I appreciate the heads up on what to expect for a drive.

Look forward to meeting you all... hopefully I'm not crunching on whatever day this happens (fingers crossed).

Cheerz,
Chaz

SkyZero
05-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Things are well Sky -in spite of crunching for the E3 demos we're putting together tonight. Thanks for asking.

Nice to meet you too Rich.

Just let me know when and where to meet and I should be able to make it. My fianceť and I frequent Pasadena and the West Side often, so 30 minutes is certainly doable, so is an hour. I appreciate the heads up on what to expect for a drive.

Look forward to meeting you all... hopefully I'm not crunching on whatever day this happens (fingers crossed).

Cheerz,
Chaz

Pasadena is great, a nice place to walk and shop. My fiance and I don't live too far from there, just about 5-10 min down the road.

Are you going to be at E3? If you are, enjoy and let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:

CyberGolem
05-18-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm going to E3 tomorrow. It's mostly to pay homage to my employer and maybe run into a few colleagues I haven't seen in awhile. I'll certainly let anyone interested know what it was like. I'll try and remember my camera and maybe post a few pics (if it's allowed).
As far as inland towns, Pasadena is my favorite. We're up there quite often.
Anyhow, more later y'all.
Chaz

richcz3
05-19-2005, 04:57 AM
zchaz I would have liked to go but no dice. If you get images I can host and post them for you here. Let me know.

richcz3
05-24-2005, 05:59 PM
This is the Parking Available on most weekends.
I took these this weekend to illustrate the available parking. There is plenty of street parking to accomodate more people if needed.

If this is going to happen. I'll set a meeting date:
June 18 or 19. 11:00 to 4:00 PM with one break for Lunch.
A majority will pick either Saturday or Sunday.

http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/forumpix/torr_05.jpg
http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/forumpix/torr_06.jpg
http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/forumpix/torr_07.jpg

SkyZero
05-24-2005, 06:53 PM
AAAACCCCK! My brother's birthday is that weekend! :cry: How about the weekend prior to that or the weekend afterwards? :thumbsup:

CyberGolem
05-27-2005, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the offer Rich but I ended up in a meeting that blew the only day away that I could attend E3. Sorry, no pics

:sad:

My sons are out for their annual summer visit óduring the proposed date. I don't mind committing, but my 15 year old might want to attend with me. Is this against the rules or is there anyone that would rather not have to deal with this? I really want to spend as much time with them as I can, but not at anyone else's expense.

No worries if it is a problem, just thought to ask.

óChaz

richcz3
05-29-2005, 06:08 AM
SkyZero and zchaz date change. zchaz your son is more than welcome. Anyone is welcome.

June 25 or 26. 11:00 to 4:00 PM with one break for Lunch.
A majority will pick either Saturday or Sunday.

....Spread the word!

SkyZero
05-30-2005, 04:37 AM
I'm game for that date. I don't think I have anything planned on either of those days. Hopefully it all works out!

richcz3 - I put a post in the other LA thread about the meeting time and place in hopes of getting more people to go if that's okay with you!

richcz3
05-30-2005, 04:36 PM
SkyZero, That's perfectly fine by me.
I will call for a head count as we get closer to the meeting date.
Base on the meeting criteria I posted, it would be great if people would post issues or projects they woudl like discussed.

Bonedaddy
06-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm putting in a request for Sunday. I only just get back in town on the 25th, and it'd be difficult for me to make it there on the day I get back.

As for stuff to talk about, I dunno, I think everyone's trying to get their own stuff going. Might be nice to have just an informal "This is what I'm working on" thing -- not to get help, per se, more to get feedback, and get more used to actually talking to people about your hidden late night art projects.. ;) Just a thought.

mummey
06-15-2005, 06:12 PM
This still on? There going to be an announcement?

richcz3
06-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Due to arrangements here we are set for SATURDAY the 25th. That's this Saturday.
I'll need a head count by Thursday Noon to get things setup here. If you plan on attending email me. rich_even@Yahoo.com or post here.

Reminder of Mission statement: Creative Project based meetings, software tutorials/demos, and pipeline discussions.

On the table for discussion Play's interets in CG Artist representation. I will talk with reps from Play Monday after the meeting. Licensing of original artwork to interested commercial operations. Your views in the topic of note on CG Society LINK (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=241725&page=4&pp=15) There will be an open session discussion with your ideas, interests, and or concerns about the industry.
Participants interested in making quick demo or tutorials chime in. Bring demo reels in for review.

richcz3
06-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Need some responses from those interested in attending this coming Saturday.

Thanks

leigh
06-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Are you aware that the VES Festival is also running this weekend? You may find that many of the professional CG artists in the area are going to be there this Saturday...

mummey
06-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Are you aware that the VES Festival is also running this weekend? You may find that many of the professional CG artists in the area are going to be there this Saturday...

Ooo.. Where is VES located?

leigh
06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
http://www.vesfestival.org/

CyberGolem
06-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Sorry guys, but we're crunching something fierce so there won't be much of anything but work for me.
Cheerz,
Chaz

richcz3
06-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Saturday JUNE 25 Meeting Cancelled :sad:
The details for a future meetup will be posted at a later date

character
06-25-2005, 06:13 AM
i'm going to the zoo tomorrow if anyone wants to go (LA ZOO)
10 bucks to get in or 45 for a yearly pass. you can pay with a credit card at the entrance
me and a friend are meeting up at my pad in the morning around 8:30-9am in tarzana
we're gonna grab some grub from there then head to the zoo
can meet there or at my pad and carpool if you want
pm me for info. i'll be on all night drawing

peace

guillermo

character
06-25-2005, 06:17 AM

hey, that's right near ea headquarters. maybe phillip will show up >.< anyone going? i mightn' be able to make the batman show at 8. that'd be nice. who's up for some behind the scenes?

sorry for the double post >.<

CyberGolem
07-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Just thought to drop a note and say I haven't flatlined. I'm still crunching so as soon as I can get my head above water I'll join up with y'all then. Cheers!
Chaz

beaker
08-28-2005, 02:39 AM
Hey richcz3, what ever happened with this?

CyberGolem
09-13-2005, 05:27 AM
Hi all,
Looks like my schedule has finally opened up. Is there still an opportunity for all of us to get together and geek out?
óChaz

SkyZero
09-13-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm free to geek out! :thumbsup:
Just lemme know when and where it's gonna happen.

DorkmanScott
09-13-2005, 04:55 PM
I am also on board with this.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2005, 04:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.