PDA

View Full Version : Dual Core CPU & network nodes

frank10
05-12-2005, 09:15 AM
I would like to know if Vue5I is optimized for the new CPU dual-core.

Also, building a renderfarm with 5 computers, could you use the standard 5-node license
using dual cpu or cpu dual core (or even a mix of them)?
Thanks

Best regards
Francesco

Dale B
05-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Optimized, no. As the big boys are having trouble getting pre-release silicon, I seriously doubt that a relatively small company like E-on has access. That said, both Infinite and the RenderCows are multi-processor aware. Infinite would definitely make use of the dual cores, and if the actual render engine is multithreaded (as I believe it is, as it will take advantage of Intel's HyperThreading), then the Cows should use them as well. The only potential stumbling block I can see at the moment is the fact that both cores have to share the same cluster of system ram; that may require a minimum amount of ram that allows for that. But that is only a guesstimate, and there may be tech that deals with the potential issue.

Mike.H
05-14-2005, 08:51 AM
vue will for sure perform better on dual core, like most up to date 3d applications, if that is your question.

but vue isnt optimized for 64 bit dual core if that´s what you´re asking, im sure in time it will, but thats a moot point, if you do own a dual core amd64x2 cpu(due out june/july) or dual core opteron or the lackluster performing dual core pentium d/ee (when compared to amd´s offering) vue will benefit from a performance boost compared to a single core cpu.

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2005, 08:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.