PDA

View Full Version : Dreamworks shares take a nosedive over Shrek 2 DVD sales

RobertoOrtiz
05-12-2005, 01:16 AM
QUOTE:
"Shares in DreamWorks Animation were hit hard Tuesday after the company reported that DVD sales of Shrek 2 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298148/) fell well below forecasts. The recently spun-off company, whose shares were trading at $38.50 at the start of the day tumbled in after-hours trading to $30.70 -- a 20-percent drop. "I've been sent to the shed and given a good lashing," DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005076/) told today's (Wednesday) Wall Street Journal."Shrek 2 is still a blockbuster, and it is unfortunate that we have stubbed our toe in a way that has created the reaction that it has. '

>>LINK<< (http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-05-11/)
-R

hopper2k
05-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Interesting. All I know is...I bought Shrek 2 the day it came out, and I've yet to watch it!!

richcz3
05-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Now we can watch and see how creativety is engineered to please share holders by meeting quartely targets.

tevih
05-12-2005, 04:54 AM
I wanted the shrek 1 and 2 bundle with the shrek 3d on it - but it was not widescreen. Tons of Amazon.com reviewers for that product had the same beef. Most animation junkies and movie buffs want widescreen! I have not bought shrek 2 and am still waiting for that bundle to come out in widescreen! If it never does come out......

malcolmvexxed
05-12-2005, 04:57 AM
I didn't like Shrek 2 i thought the humor was forced with too many pop culture references just like Shark's Tale. But i'll buy a copy for my nephew cause he loved it especially the cat character.

SheepFactory
05-12-2005, 05:35 AM
link goes to microsoft.com for me.

I am unclear about this , did their stocks take a dive because too many shrek 2 dvd's are sitting on the shelf? I am not sure what makes a successful stock performance , i thought shrek 2 was the highest grossing animated feature of all time , no?

Bourbon Thret
05-12-2005, 05:40 AM
ya i bought the shrek 1 dvd but then a while later they brought out the special 3d edition dvd with the bonus 3d film ( i think to cash in on the sequel). after that i figured i'm not gonna buy any more dreamworks animation dvds until the whole sequel franchise for each film has done its run. its just too frustrating to have that kind of thing happen.

ah well i should be used to that kind of thing, market economy and all that etc..

bye

Kimotion
05-12-2005, 06:03 AM
link goes to microsoft.com for me.

I am unclear about this , did their stocks take a dive because too many shrek 2 dvd's are sitting on the shelf? I am not sure what makes a successful stock performance , i thought shrek 2 was the highest grossing animated feature of all time , no?

I think it has more to do with the actual dvd's not being sold as it was expected. So yes, too many are sitting on the shelf.

Lique
05-12-2005, 06:13 AM
ya i bought the shrek 1 dvd but then a while later they brought out the special 3d edition dvd with the bonus 3d film ( i think to cash in on the sequel). after that i figured i'm not gonna buy any more dreamworks animation dvds until the whole sequel franchise for each film has done its run. its just too frustrating to have that kind of thing happen. ah well i should be used to that kind of thing, market economy and all that etc.. bye

Having the same thoughts here. Maybe its time for them to put a 2disc-special editon contents with lots of special features. People tend to get excited with these words, and prefers to buy them. At least I know I do.

RobertoOrtiz
05-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Fixed Link!

-r

worker_bee
05-12-2005, 06:47 AM
Basically what happend was that Shrek2 dvd sold bigger then expected in 4th quarter 2004 that there predictions of what it would do in the first quarter of 2005 were off. So they put out alot of dvds anticipating similar numbers and when it didnt happen, there were returns from the unsold copies.

Here is how shrek2 dvd did when it first came out.

DreamWorks says in its first three days on shelves, Shrek 2 moved a record 12.1 million combined DVD and video units, 11 million of which were DVDs.

The $185 million is more business than the sequel did when it set the record for highest-grossing opening weekend in theaters, with $108 million over its first three days last May. The figure also surpasses the original Shrek, which previously held the home video mark by selling 7 million copies and generating $110 million in revenue in its first three days in November 2001 (when it was released in stores the same time Disney-Pixar's Monsters, Inc. hit megaplexes).

Predictably, the folks at DreamWorks are acting like Christmas came early. "This record pace is reflective of the movie's broad appeal--everyone from kids, parents and general audiences are adding Shrek 2 to their DVD library," crowed Kelley Avery, worldwide head of DreamWorks Home Entertainment.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,15299,00.html

worker_bee
05-12-2005, 06:58 AM
Jan. 04, 2005

'Shrek 2' video is class of '04 at 37 mil units

------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Brett Sporich
Last year was the year of the franchise at U.S. video retail counters, but it was DreamWorks Home Entertainment's "Shrek 2" that was the best-selling home video title of 2004.

The overwhelming popularity of the big green ogre drove domestic sales of "Shrek 2" to more than 37 million combined DVD and VHS units last year, generating a whopping $458 million in total consumer spending, according to DreamWorks executives.

In a clear sign that Americans have wholeheartedly adopted the optical disc digital format, Avery said that of the 37 million total "Shrek 2" units sold last year, 21.6 million were DVDs.

The original animated feature "Shrek" has sold an estimated 47 million combined DVD and VHS units worldwide since its November 2001 video release, and the buzz generated from the November "Shrek 2" video release also boosted original "Shrek" sales to an additional 5.6 million combined units, making it the top catalog title of 2004, according to industry sources.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000745355

jeremybirn
05-13-2005, 02:23 AM
Wow, Mr. Bee, you're practically an expert - I'm surprised you let Robert beat you to posting this news thread. :)

-jeremy

worker_bee
05-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Wow, Mr. Bee, you're practically an expert - I'm surprised you let Robert beat you to posting this news thread. :)

-jeremy

TOUCHE...but some of us have to work...dont have the luxury of not having a movie till 2006. :twisted:

Shaderhacker
05-13-2005, 04:44 PM
TOUCHE...but some of us have to work...dont have the luxury of not having a movie till 2006. :twisted:

Well, yea you do, if you work at PDI.. ;)

-M

Xevious
05-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Bottom line for me is: I have too many unopened DVDs in my house. I dont really want to buy more. I suspect that is becoming a problem with other people too!

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2005, 05:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.