PDA

View Full Version : What's the 2d version of a chrome ball on a checkered plane?

paperclip
05-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Over on the Pascal Blance Q & A, Pascal said:
[Less experienced artists] tend to do and redo the same kind of designs, without knowing what as been done in this field for the lasts ten years.

Which designs exactly? I can think of a few off the top of my head:

Orcs/Lord of the rings stuff.
Women dressed skimpily without much story to back it up.
Aliens.
Robots- everywhere!

Any more?

Vertizor
05-11-2005, 09:30 PM
You mean like the "bowl of fruit"?

paperclip
05-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Bowl of fruit..heh...plenty of these out there. I think everyone's done one.

Oh, and a vase of flowers. I think I was thinking more along the lines of overused illustration concepts though!?

SpeccySteve
05-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Women dressed skimpily without much story to back it up

That has quite a few sub-categories of its own..

semi naked warrior woman with optional pointy elf-ears
Katana waving bikini ninja wearing special stealth high heels and ever-so-practical flimsy panties armour
boobie cyborg
unlikely anatomy anime girl
Probably quite a few I missed..

jmBoekestein
05-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Sunsets, with only just a few mountains to make an interest, or it's by some form of water.

Been there done that, but to continue.:rolleyes:

River scenes with women in them. Uhm...warrior dude with weapon..lemmethink here...a coorner of a room, but only by people who have more experience.

Onto some more advanced misstakes, the stuff even the "pro's" do wrong. Portraits of characters looking straight at the camera or just beside it....that pose again(they all friggin do it)...phew, I think I better quit before I never get to speak to my future teachers. :eek:

MCronin
05-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Actually I came remember drawing chrome sphere for more than a few art assignments throught highschool and college, so I guess the 2D version of a chrome sphere is a chrome sphere.

SpeccySteve
05-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I actually had to do that too, chrome spheres are really hard to draw..

paperclip
05-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Me too- a chrome doorhandle...it was fun actually...

jmBoekestein
05-11-2005, 10:17 PM
I bet they'd give you a B in highschool if you just coloured a circle black and started erasing awy some highlights like in those mn=anga prescriptions.

Anyway, I have some extra for ya. The ones the masters keep making:

Arbitrary girl obviously posing surrounded by plantlife(of any nature), variant: outside lighting in homely setting...some type of motherly affection scene...yer basic love thingy(girl hanging ni someones arms, basically the valiant hero type)...there's way more but I can't actually find the guts to post it...:D...must be some

Renzsu
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Take a 'Bob Ross'-like environment, slap in a chick with flimsy leather clothing, orc or dragon...

DrFx
05-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Beach scenes with waves crashing.
Mountains with lakes.
The plaster model on a table/chair
The nude.
The grotesque (Da Vinci has quite a few interesting ones)
Dogs playing poker?

mv
05-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Katana waving bikini ninja wearing special stealth high heels and ever-so-practical flimsy panties armour

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/love.gif

nineinchneil
05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
torture, with a hint of the erotic melded in.

that's something i've been seeing a lot. why have a couple of recent cgtalk contests revolved around those sorts of themes, including this 'master and slave' one?

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.