PDA

View Full Version : Microphones?

StuntMan
05-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Does anyone have experience with some good film quality microphones? I am wondering what mic to consider for shooting a short film outdoors in a wooded area which is pretty quiet. Thanks in advance!

BrianHarbauer
05-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Well, it seems no one has responded, so, I'll give what I know.

General, you would use a shot gun, although, sometimes you can use lavaliers. I know for a fact, Sennheiser makes VERY good mics. Get one with phantom power, WITHOUT it using a battery. (If it has a battery to help assist with phantom power, you can get noise in your signal, so get a phantom powered mic with out a battery in the mic.) Most phantom power sources do not put out a "true 48 volts" i believe phantom power is anywhere between 6-48 volts? The closer you can get to 48 volts, the better, howevery, check and see what the microphones limit is of voltage, shotguns are supposedly more sensitive to voltage, where as a studio mic, the more volts the better, without overpowering it's limit of voltage.

Use as few adapters as possible.

Monitor the audio while you tape with good over the ear headphones.

DON'T CLIP THE AUDIO!
Generally you want to keep the highest point of the talents voices to peak about -12dB.

If it's at all possible to record to a 24bit recorder, it would be worth it.

Anymore questions, please let me know. I mainly do video compositing so, audio is a little out of my field, but every chance to learn some more I take it. If I don't know the answers, I've got a great friend who's an audio technician and has built power supplies for mics and such.

Good luck!
-Brian H.

(Anyone in the audio field feel free to correct me if i'm wrong and add your advice.)

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2005, 06:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.