PDA

View Full Version : "Tax Cuts" - An animation for this month's 10 second club

ivanisavich
05-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Hi there,

I animated this yesterday, using 3 different Lowmax rigs and a simple scene.

All softbody and cloth dynamics are done using Simcloth. The renderer is max Scanline.

***EDIT***

Here's a fixed up NEW version!: "Tax Cuts" (3.5mb, Quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/taxes2.mov)

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/taxes.jpg

"Tax Cuts" (3mb, Quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/taxes.mov)

Post your comments!

simplepsy
05-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Looks great, i'm currently working on one too, same competition and soundfile.

Only 1 problem? Whats happened to the actual WEBSITE??? 10secondclub.net seems to have vanished overnight!!!
Is anyone else having this problem??

Again, looks great! love the style.

Simplepsy@aol.com

ietra
05-11-2005, 04:12 PM
I just came here to ask the same question -- what happened to the 10 second club? Did someone forget to pay the utility bill?

ivanisavich
05-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Yikes! You're right. Site's down :P

Ah well...a huge site like 10secondclub won't be down for any great length of time, I presume ;)

simplepsy
05-11-2005, 04:36 PM
I hope not, but it does look awfuly like its for sale.

anyway, I'm gonna keep pluggin away at my anim, hopefully should be up and running in time for critque b4 I enter.. its my first entry.

mattmos
05-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Its kind of a difficult sound file this month because there's no background/environmental noise to anchor the soundfile in a particular scene. I think your animation looks great, nice camera movement, lead guy is gesturing nicely, not over-done, but without sounds for the incidentals like the knife cutting or squelching it feels a bit out of place. gruesome idea though, I like it ;)

ivanisavich
05-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi Matt,

Well...after the competition is over I'll be adding the extra foley myself (as usual ;))....but until then it'll just be the default sound file.

ivanisavich
05-12-2005, 04:14 AM
Well...after watching this "finished" animation over and over again for a while, I decided that it was not yet where I wanted it yet....so I fixed some things :) [I]Now[/] it's finished ;)

Basically, I tweaked the lip sync, and added a "guts" table which he ends up throwing the organ onto (in the old version, the organ kind of just disappears to the left when he throws it away).

I hope you'll all like this one better!

"Tax Cuts 2" (3.5mb, Quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/taxes2.mov)

thoughtcriminal
05-12-2005, 11:11 PM
I must say, I'm a fan of your work (we e-mailed a week ago),

But this entry is not as good as your other animations.

Everything works fine, the acting is believable and the timing and lipsync is correct.
The only problem which makes it a bit disturbing for me is that both characters compete for the audience's attention.
No one can focus on two things symultaniously, and most people don't look at one shot over-and-over again (unless they are animators like us :) )

Ofcourse there ARE two characters in the frame and they DO have to move, but when one character is speaking, I guess the other one shouldn't be doing anything "interesting".

I think one of the best examples for a good interaction between two characters in one shot is the short film "The bath" (it was shown here in the past I'm almost sure you know what I'm talking about).

The animator (Sorry I don't remmember the guy's name), Managed to pull my focus on the right character through the whole short, and it was simply pleasing to look at it knowing that when something important is about to happen my eyes are going to be focused on the right spot.

Tom W.
05-12-2005, 11:19 PM
I definately agree, staging needs some working or you could try changing the composition..just too much going on all at once, Other then that it looks decent if you watch one character at a time ;). I don't think you're animation is bad, but I definately think you need your beats to register with the audience. ie when the surgeon reaches in side, and does a quick take it almost seems too meshed together. More of a pause after he feels it so we can register what is happening...don't know if that helps but gl :)

ReBootedOne
05-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Heh, your entry is making my entry frightened. :)
Nice stuff here, I especially love the camera movements and the non-speakin' guy's reactions, done especially well considerin' you got the operatin' mask on him.
One part I really like is as the surgeon is inspecting the... whatever... he pulled out of the cadaver; such excellent subtle eye movements.

My only critique would be what others have already said, so I won't resay it. :)

-eric

jabuhrer
05-13-2005, 08:46 PM
I like it. I think it would benefit from a little more sceondary action, his hand looks a little stiff as he reaches for the tool. But my style is probably a lot more cartoony than yours.

Also I disagree with what thoughtcriminal said. I understand what he's saying, but I just don't really agree. Just a difference of opinion. Which is a real challenge, not everyone in the audience is going to feel the same way.

ivanisavich
05-14-2005, 02:46 AM
Hey there,

Thank you for the critiques! (both from those who liked it and didn't :))

I understand completely what you mean thoughtcriminal, and I will definitely work on toning down the major "distractions" when the background character is talking.

But...that being said....the idea for this "scene" is that character A (foreground character) couldn't care less what character B (background character) is saying. So he is continuing with what he is doing (which is something quite ridiculous--the "comic relief" you could say), remaining oblivious to what character B is actually saying (whilst character B is getting all emotional about the point he's trying to make....thinking that character A actually cares).

But....as you said....I don't want to completey avoid any compositional or acting "rules" for the sake of making a point....so I will definitely work on creating a bit more harmony between their actions (despite the fact that A is ignoring B)

Thanks again, and expect another "update" before the competition is over :)

3drage
05-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Overall it's a great start, I think the staging comments are good ones, the other thing that I would look at are your poses. Talking about the talking dude. Your last and first poses are almost exactly the same (ie arms in front, left hand in right hand). I'd like to see this broken up a bit. Especially the first one, I think you could do something fun/more interesting for the eye with the prop.
Hope that helps.
3drage

Aluuk
05-15-2005, 04:56 AM
Heya,

It's looking pretty good man. I don't know if you want crits, but what the hey...just ignore it if you don't.:bounce:

I have to agree it may not be as strong as some of your others. A big part of animation is design. And like others have said, your comp needs a little reconsidering. I never look at the guy who is talking, he is just completely overpowered by the surgeon. Part of it is the design of the comp, part of it is your lighting choices, and part is your color choices.

The surgeon has more interesting movements and is doing more, so my eye is drawn to it.

You have also pushed the speaker back by having him more in the shadows. This draws my eye to the surgeon with his brighter lighting.

And the way color works the cool colors will fall into the background (such as the green) and the warm colors will punch to the foreground (such as the red blood). So my eye is drawn towards the red and the surgeon.

From an animation standpoint it's looking pretty good. At some point I might have him look back towards the guy speaking...perhaps with some sort of "whatever" expression with his eyes/brow (just so you can connect the two together). I love that you got into eye darts at the end, but you may have gone a bit overboard with it. Those eyes are really jumping around.:)

Oh...just to keep with the eye theme...try to get rid of the offset blinking. Instead you can have them start and end at the same frame, but vary the spacing between the eyes during the blink.

I could keep going, but I don't want to over crit you all at once.:)

Keep up the good work,:thumbsup:
Leif

ivanisavich
05-31-2005, 03:11 AM
Ok...long time...dead thread...right?

Nope ;)

Updated my animation, taking into consideration the critiques presented here.

Hopefully you'll find the left character to be less distracting now...and therefore you'll be able to focus on the character speaking much better.

Post your comments!

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/taxes_thumb.jpg

Tax Cuts final animation (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/ivan_taxes.mpg)

petertan
05-31-2005, 04:41 AM
Hi Tyson,

Think the change you made works really well. My eye was focused on the talking char the whole time. You got some really nice acting and animation going there...brilliant stuff.

-pete-

thoughtcriminal
05-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Hey.

I'm glad you've decided to take my advice. I think it's better now than it was before and the acting is GREAT.

Good job!

I actually thought of joining the challange myself but I don't have any spare time... My idea was to put the talking guy next to a bussiness man, both standing in front of a bunch of 1st graders in a class, so the talking one explains about the taxes with his calm informative voice, and the bussiness man gets stiff when he hears what is being said about bussiness men.

What do you think about this idea?

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2005, 09:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.