PDA

View Full Version : Silo 1.4 Released, New 30-day Demo Period

jamchild
05-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Hello CGTalk Community,
I'm here to announce the public availability of Silo 1.4, including a fresh 30-day demo period, on the Nevercenter website at http://www.nevercenter.com. If it's been since version 1.2 or even 1.3 that you last tried Silo, give the new version a try and I think you'll be surprised at both how far we've come since earlier versions and how much innovation is in Silo at this point. Those familiar with Silo are aware of the power in things like the fully-customizable mouse and the Topology Brush. Both of those are improved in 1.4 (you can customize double-click on left, middle, and right mouse to perform any function in the program like select loop or extrude, and the topology brush has MUCH better accuracy in generating the mesh). But much has been added beyond that.
Silo 1.4 introduces selection highlighting to the Silo workflow, in a full-on advanced manner. You can use highlighted geometry to perform most actions rather than having to select everything, and with the new multi component selection mode you can tweak and just do everything blazingly fast. Check out the videos on our home page for a demonstration.
Also new to 1.4 is the snapping manipulator which encapsulates a whole bunch of functionality in one simpe manipulator - also best to learn about by viewing the videos on our home page.
One of the most important things to note is that with this update, there's only been one function added to the menus - all the rest of the improvements are in workflow decisions and options. We wanted to add Collapse functionality, but instead of makinga new Collapse command, we extended the Merge Vertices command to work as collapse on faces and edges. The Slit Face Loop command became the Split Loop command, which is smart about knowing whether you've selected an edge ring, and edge loop, a face loop, or a path of edges, and will split/bevel accordingly to how you'd generally want it to do for that situation.
The split tool is better, bevel works on vertices now, speed has been increased majorly when working on subdivided meshes, the interface has been updated, and much more. Go watch the videos!
The point we're trying to make with Silo is that it will *always* be able to do something that no other program can do - we've had a pretty good record of innovation and speedy updates that make a big difference. It's being used right now by artists in many of the biggest studios, as well as for major video games and movies. So go ahead and give it a try. "Try it again for the 1.4th time!" :] I'm very tired, I'm going to sleep now.

Tom Plewe aka Jamchild
President, Nevercenter

Don Kayote
05-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeee! :bounce:

IanBlackford
05-11-2005, 03:19 PM
fantastic news tom :cool:
thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
see if i can convince my company to take the plunge :)
regards
monsieurblack

lovisx
05-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm falling in love. Great software, if I ever get my income tax I'll be checking this off my wish list.

bored alien
05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
press release: http://www.nevercenter.com/news/1_4_press_release/

videos: http://www.nevercenter.com/tutorials/videos/

windtunnel
05-12-2005, 11:32 AM
So, anyone tried the new version?

windtunnel
05-12-2005, 12:19 PM
So, anyone tried the new version yet?

pit
05-12-2005, 12:49 PM
I have - and you should too - itīs beyond words. Awesome. Thanks, Nevercenter! :thumbsup:

stenosis|kill
05-12-2005, 02:12 PM
hm, i think i will give the 30day demo of silo 1.4 a try :)
*downloading* :thumbsup:

chrisWhite
05-12-2005, 03:57 PM
It's at the top of my wish list now, I think I'll probably get it here in a month or two, looks really awesome.

Goon
05-12-2005, 08:06 PM
i've said it before, I'll say it again. Silo is Hawt!

And the best thing about it is it just keeps getting better. This is the fourth point release. Every point release has been free. And every point release has been an absolute improvement on the previous version. Frankly I'm not sure what they are gonna have left to do when they reach 2.0 :sad:

Its currently missing:
a good layer/scene manager
all the other awesome stuff they want to program.

ThomasMahler
05-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Frankly I'm not sure what they are gonna have left to do when they reach 2.0 :sad:

Well, I think then it'll be time for the legendary "Make Shrek" button! You know you want it! ;)

Sil3
05-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Itīs incredible to see on a short amount of time that Silo become an extremly powerfull Modeler, congrats Dev team and keep those point updates coming :thumbsup:

If only other softwares where this fast in updating their tools ...

bardakos
05-12-2005, 08:16 PM
1.4 is SO MUCH FASTER ..and i thought the last versions were fast...

Great work!!!

Carpenter
05-12-2005, 08:34 PM
I am using Silo 1.4 right now for all my character modeling. The set of modeling tools you have at your disposal is very well thought out, NeverCenter is always listening to there customers and looking to improve Silo, and it shows... don't sit there thinking about purchasing, just buy it and make cool models :)
Topology Brush, Vertex Bevel, Slide, user configurable interface... the list goes on and on...
Use Silo if you want to model faster.

Rich

Happy Silo Modeler Customer

bobtronic
05-12-2005, 09:07 PM
no doubt the 1.4 update contains all useful improvements but unfortunatly some of my
most wished features are missing.

-a good virtual mirror
-secondary selection/rotation vector as we love in Wings
-layer/geometry graph
-select loop region

I really thank Nevercenter for integrating Selection Highlighting/PreSelection.
I hope this doesn't sound to negative :shrug: no doubt Silo is one of the best Subdivision
modelers.

Bob

Siloer
05-12-2005, 09:30 PM
To all who are thinking about purchasing Silo just go get it you will quickly find its the best purchase decision you have made in a long time.

I have other tools for modeling and in comparison to Silo making a model is akin to wading through mud,Silo allows easy and efficient customisation and good workflow.

HEWHOPAINTS
05-12-2005, 09:38 PM
the 'new user' model contribution section has many models that are as helpful as the tutorials,thanks feed and contributors.

tunedby
05-12-2005, 09:38 PM
I just got silo 2 weeks ago. really great upgrade now. A pleasure to model in, selecting freely vertex/edges/faces. I was using modo (also great software), but silo 1.4 is more customizable. Plus, nevercenter keep their development really open to their users, so you know what is next.

Siloer
05-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Oh I forgot to say a BIG thank you NeverCenter for creating Silo and for the bargain price too.

Rabid pitbull
05-12-2005, 09:58 PM
I have also downloaded it. I find it to be quite nice, but am not sold just yet. I have a background in lightwave, and xsi use. It is way ahaed of LW imo(at least 7.5 my version) but i am still missing some niceties from xsi. Mainly the temporary tool feature. Many tool operate like the tweak feature in silo, temporarily selecting a tool then on release going back to last used tool. This is a awesome feature.

But Silo does have many features I would like to see in xsi like the slide tool for instance. Just not sure that the few extras are enough to make it justified for me. Of course I have only barely investigated the application, will decide by end of trial.

Any xsi users here with feedback?

MunCHeR
05-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Any danger at all of a linux version this release, or soon? :D

MunCH

Cometsoft
05-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey Rabid pitbull,

I'm an XSI user. I've tried previous demos of Silo and they seemed pretty good.

For me I don't think it's worth learning yet-another-app when the XSI modeler is so good. As far as my workflow they're really aren't many shortcomings. In fact just learning to use the existing modeling tools in XSI to their fullest is probably more productive than learning another modeler. Though Silo's price is great, I think it would be a distraction.

Between XSI and ZBrush there's not much space left to fill.

Cinnsealach
05-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I have also downloaded it. I find it to be quite nice, but am not sold just yet. I have a background in lightwave, and xsi use. It is way ahaed of LW imo(at least 7.5 my version) but i am still missing some niceties from xsi. Mainly the temporary tool feature. Many tool operate like the tweak feature in silo, temporarily selecting a tool then on release going back to last used tool. This is a awesome feature.

But Silo does have many features I would like to see in xsi like the slide tool for instance. Just not sure that the few extras are enough to make it justified for me. Of course I have only barely investigated the application, will decide by end of trial.

Any xsi users here with feedback?

It's 60 quid. Enough said.

3dj
05-13-2005, 12:06 AM
I think this release really has made the tools so much easier to use. Also, the topology brush WORKS GREAT now. I didn't use it before because it would give unpredictable results, now I even try to "fool" it and I get great results.

-Jim

Schnark
05-13-2005, 12:12 AM
... talking about learning and Silo:

if you can remember a few shortcuts (you must not): the fantastic thing about Silo (besides speed, besides being free of crash bugs, etc) is that you can give this proggie to a newbie in 3D, leave for one or two hours, and then come back to marvel at the things that this former newbie had done.
Now, try this with any of the "industry standards"!!

I NEVER had a single program that had been that much intuitive, that made the whole process of box modeling THAT easy and reliable.

Silo is the tool that does not put anything between you and your imagination. Plain and simple!!

Rabid pitbull
05-13-2005, 02:54 AM
Hey Rabid pitbull,

I'm an XSI user. I've tried previous demos of Silo and they seemed pretty good.

For me I don't think it's worth learning yet-another-app when the XSI modeler is so good. As far as my workflow they're really aren't many shortcomings. In fact just learning to use the existing modeling tools in XSI to their fullest is probably more productive than learning another modeler. Though Silo's price is great, I think it would be a distraction.

Between XSI and ZBrush there's not much space left to fill.

I agree xsi modeler is great! But it is missing a few of the tools in silo. And the tweak mode works with all components not just points as in xsi. I am quite happy in xsi, but I just wonder if it is worth the money for a few of the tools in silo, I do not think the workflow would be affected badly to have a outside modeler. After all when modeling you do not necesarily need the renderer or animation tools.

Still toying with it because some of the tools are quite nice.

chikega
05-13-2005, 04:02 AM
I have XSI, LW, modo, wings3d, C4d, and even the latest offering Hexagon ... and I just keep coming back to Silo for it's simplicity, power, snappiness and streamlined workflow. I've been with these guys from the beginning and it just keeps getting better and better. This is one company that not only listens to their user base but interacts with them continously - I feel like I'm part of a family. :)

private
05-13-2005, 04:11 AM
It's still missing some tools and some features (layers, UVs and a virtual mirror dammit) but all in all, it's an incredible value. In addition, the developers are trying to streamline things from the beginning. It is extremely customizable and fast. The upgrade path is known...don't pay anything more until version 2.0...which they have said that even, it won't be that major. It's only a modeler and does it really well right now.

Also, take a look at the NeverCenter Labs....they have some cool ideas in store. Bugs get fixed pretty quickly too. Power and pricepoint absolutely rock. With the money people save, they can put it towards a good animation/rendering environment...

Rabid pitbull
05-13-2005, 05:37 AM
I did look at the upcoming fatures area of the site. I am a bit confused by it, are they planning on taking slio to a full blown all in one solution? i think keeping it simply a modeler is a good idea, but the site shows bones and lip sinc tools in the works? Are they planning full blown animation toolset as well?

SheepFactory
05-13-2005, 05:43 AM
the most annoying bugs are still not adressed , mainly the virtual mirror obscuring the image planes in the ortho views. Until they fix that silo is useless to me.

pnoland
05-13-2005, 05:57 AM
I did look at the upcoming fatures area of the site. I am a bit confused by it, are they planning on taking slio to a full blown all in one solution? i think keeping it simply a modeler is a good idea, but the site shows bones and lip sinc tools in the works? Are they planning full blown animation toolset as well?

I'm pretty sure that NeverCenter is keeping Silo just a modeling tool. ..and a -damn- good one too. The bones would be usefull for those who aren't animators but would like an easy way to rig their models and put them in different poses easily in one application so they can have the models ready to be textured and rendered. Most of the other 'features' in the Labs section are things they're considering in the long run but I don't think they're concentrating on them just yet. ...don't quote me on that though. ;)

Sheep, that still is a problem and hopefully JamChild and Feed will address it in the future release...that and uv mapping! ;)

scottsch
05-13-2005, 06:44 AM
the most annoying bugs are still not adressed , mainly the virtual mirror obscuring the image planes in the ortho views. Until they fix that silo is useless to me.

You can put your image plane textures on a cube, delete all faces except the one with the image and move them out of the way. When you switch to ortho view you will have a full view of the model and an "image plane" that you can scale and hide.

I've never understood why people use the camera settings for image planes. Maybe there is a reason but the above method is better and works well in Silo. With Silo you can have textured objects and wireframe objects in the same viewport.

--

Anyway, Silo is just really quick and does what it's supposed to do without the overhead.

Like some other users I'd like to see a layers palette and UV mapping someday but I'm happy with Silo right now as it is.

The newest release is really fast and the new features are a welcome addition. The topo brush is a lot faster.

SheepFactory
05-13-2005, 06:56 AM
it is not moving the image plane out of the way that is the problem , it is the meshes interior faces staying solid even when you turn it to ghost shaded which ends up blocking the image plane \ or the cube with the texture map on it just the same.

there is no workaround , and nevercenter needs to fix it.

polYgonZ
05-13-2005, 07:04 AM
- compare the ratio of positive to negative feedback on this thread

- not to name them all, i have tried a good number of 3D modeling applications (on some i have spent a lot of time and energy to learn), all of my modeling is done in Silo now

- i was able to make some of my best models in a few days after trying silo. and the speed of modeling is uncomparable to other packages i have tried.

- the interface is something one needs to take a closer look at. at first it might seem as no big deal, but most EVERYTHING is customizable. in less then a month i dnlded a GUI of a fellow siloist and in no time remixed it to fit my flow. no science in doing it!

- the whole philosophy of silo is modeling (LOL), meaning nevercenter is trying to make it as less technical as possible. in case one has prior polyModeling experience, i'd say they need 5-10 hr to get 80% of power off Silo!

- silo is handeling hiPolycounts very well. from my tests visibly better then some other applications (tested on same scenes!) (i won't name other applications as not to start app wars ;) )

- major drawback > UV's are not handeled properly as of this release. it's something a lot of us siloists are eagerly awaiting!!

- there is still room for improvement and nevercenter have shown great vision on where to take silo, and have no ego when it comes to communicating to the community feeling out the ground for new tools and features.

>> words just don't do it justice because at the end it's just someone else's opinion...
>>get the demo (30-day trial period) or Silo Learning Version (completely free and has full functionality, except that saves are limited to meshes with 100 faces and plugins are disabled)

http://www.nevercenter.com/downloads/

and see for your self if it works for you!

...i wasn't going to mention any specific tools....but man oh man...the topology brush... (needs some time to get a hang of it and situations when it's handy, it's a revolutionary tool in 3D tho!!!)
>topoBrush and other tool info at:
http://www.nevercenter.com/tutorials/videos/

jamchild
05-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Truth be told SheepFactory, I'm a little confused about the issue you're talking about - if you have a shape with an instance mirror, and you have both in ghosted shade mode, you can see the image plane behind fine - I must be misunderstanding? Drop a note on the Silo3d.com forums to clarify (so this thread doesn't get overtaken with that discussion) and I'll look into it.

SheepFactory
05-13-2005, 07:33 AM
will do. I hope i dont come across too negative , because i do like silo and would love to use it more often if not for a few nagging things.

brook kievit
05-13-2005, 08:11 AM
"virtual mirror obscuring the image planes in the ortho views, there is no workaround."

set your mirror side to wireframe and it works fine...

mmhnemo
05-13-2005, 08:36 AM
SILO is a pleasure to work with. Its speed, workflow and the possibilities to customize have enabled me to be more productive than ever before.
It is a good compagnon to ZBrush for its awesome topology brush too.

If you are into modeling you should definately try the demo and see for yourself.

P.S.: Virtual mirror works just fine and doesnt occlude anything here.

bored alien
05-13-2005, 12:00 PM
it is not moving the image plane out of the way that is the problem , it is the meshes interior faces staying solid even when you turn it to ghost shaded which ends up blocking the image plane \ or the cube with the texture map on it just the same.

there is no workaround , and nevercenter needs to fix it.

Here's a workaround: enable backface culling in the display options. Between that and creating an actual poly in the middle and texturing it, you'll have a perfect view of your ref while in ghosted shading mode.

tjnyc
05-13-2005, 02:15 PM
I can't speak for the Nevercenter guys, but UV editing and an awesome user-friendly management system with layers might be the next big stuff to come next, since those are still some big missing features in SILO, which is often requested.

Cheers,

mhaze
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Silo isthe best modelling tool I have used and keeps on getting better and better. It's fast, smooth and configurable - who could ask for more!

Uv's - please pretty please:-) and it would be perfect.

Mick

TimNikias
05-14-2005, 01:12 AM
I'm from the Freeware fraction of the world, as I don't have the money to buy dozens of costly applications, nor do I have the sense of moral to allow downloading some program and crack it, in order to buy it once I have the money.

So, my modeller and renderer of choice has, until recently, been pure POV-Ray (you might want to look that script-based renderer up: http://www.povray.org). Then I found Silo, downloaded the trial version and then the learning version of 1.3 to get a feel for it. Bought it a few months later when I had the money and am hooked. It's awesome. As a complete noob in polygonial/subdivision-modelling, I was able to make some really good-looking models (though the topology was a little screwed up, something I still have to learn about).

Now, with version 1.4, there are features which should make it possible for a complete idiot to model something good. It's fast as lightning, runs rock-solid and is handsome like the most gorgeous guy or gal you can think of. Above all, it *is* possible to pay for it, even if you're just a student!
Glen Southern (http://www.southerngfx.co.uk) is working on a DVD for Silo, and lots of tutorials and a good community can be found at Nevercenter's forum, so no need to worry that you won't get help when you're stuck.

So, there you go. Anyone too lazy to download the trial/learning version and unwilling to try it, you should be ashamed of yourself! :D

schuubars
05-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Silo is every $ of the 109$ worth. :)

I like a lot that im be able to customize the interface for my personal workflow(yeah thats a while so, but the mouse is now completly customizeable too), the speed is very good (big jump from 1.3 to 1.4), the tools are well thought out.

Nothing more to say, oh wait uv tools woul'd be great in future. ;)

chadtheartist
05-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I bought Silo at 1.2, and the fact that the program has changed so much in the past two releases, and the fact that those changes were made available free to current owners, makes Silo one of the best 3D program purchases I've ever made.

There are some drawbacks to Silo, as previously mentioned. Like UV's, and a better hiding/layering system. But if you go read their feature request forums, they definitely have plans for that. It's one of the first communities I've seen where the developers themselves are so activily involved.

One of the coolest features that I liked about 1.4 is the snapping functions. It's a much needed tool for redoing topology with the topology brush. Definitely cool!

private
05-16-2005, 02:58 AM
There are some drawbacks to Silo, as previously mentioned. Like UV's, and a better hiding/layering system. But if you go read their feature request forums, they definitely have plans for that. It's one of the first communities I've seen where the developers themselves are so activily involved.

I 100% agree. They are even more involved that the Newtek crew on the forums.

UVs have to be coming, along with more bug fixes. I sure hope they do it right, as they have with most of the things they've done so far. I'm sure glad I didn't take the plunge for modo. I saved enough money for my Lightwave and Photoshop upgrades, plus another wonderful modeler.

WesVasher
05-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Wow... how rock solid is 1.4... at least for me. I've been using it heavily for a week now and maybe one crash in all that time. I move in and out of subdivision levels constantlly checking my model and sometimes I get a little too happy with the C (meaning to hit V) key and that'll hang my system pretty quick... I suppose I need to map those keys further apart. The one crash I might have had might have been because of that so I can't blame Silo.

I can't say enough about this software and their developers. The software is so easy to use it should be illegal. And the people that make the software seem to genuinely respect their customers/users which is a breath of fresh air with computer software.

abgrafx3d
05-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Really enjoying this release! So far 1.4 has been very stable. Looking forward to UV tools in the future.

Spin99
05-18-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm also of the opinion that Silo just keeps getting better.

With the major update you get selection highlighting, like Wings3D (Nendo?) :thumbsup:
Viewport rendering seems better also, looks good as ever.
New colour scheme gives it lots of character.

The new snapping is fantastic, including the new snapping manipulator.
Tools seems to keep improving as well.
Easier view switching comes in handy.
Soft selection modelling and smoothing are absolute high end tools.

My only peeves at this stage are seam preserve,
if you don't use it from the start on a model.
Otherwise seems to work great.
Also loading into scene can crash Silo at this realease(?)

Realise that it's only a modeling tool, but really excellent at that.
If it had brushes it would be the only modelling tool for me.
It's faster than anything else on OpenGL.
If you enjoy box modelling Silo is it :)

kuman
05-23-2005, 05:01 AM
silo is a real pleasure to use.

i've been using it since 1.2 and whenever i can i prefer to do my poly modeling in silo.

its the first program i'd recommend to anyone who was interested in poly modeling.

don't let the price fool you, its an insanely power program imho, and coming as a hardcore 3ds max user, it puts max's modeler to shame.

-k

kurv
05-24-2005, 05:46 PM
KURV studios is proud to be working with Glen Southern on Silo video training.

While working on his new DVD Glen was nice enough to make us several free tutorials totaling almost 2 hours.

Please feel free to view these tutorials here - www.kurvstudios.com/free_tutorials

abgrafx3d
05-25-2005, 01:24 PM
kurv - nice tute from glen. the ones on zbrush2 are also very good! :thumbsup:

thanks

sumpm1
05-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Silo has got almost everything that a poly modeler could ever want - curves, would be nice to have for doing cars and such

exmedium
05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
The wings 3d/ Nendo highlighting is nice.
I have not had a lot of time to play with the topology brush, so I cant comment on the improvements there.
However the select loop seems to work more like mayas select contiguous edges command, as it seems to break on 90 degree angles ( at least by default, as I have not figured out how to change any tolerance settings there).
Moreover the select edge ring "function", thus far doesn't. That's a shame as it's a really handy command.
The 1.3 version has none of these issues, and seems to run faster with higher levels of subdivision/ more complex geometry.
Silo is by far my favorite polygon,subdiv modeler, so I'm sorry to say that this release is not as functional in my experience as the last point release.

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.