PDA

View Full Version : vue 5 infinite - real world experiences?

velarde
05-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Hello everybody:

I'm considering buying vue 5 infinte for architectural/landscape visualizations.

I've seen the sampes on e-on's site's and the new eco system technology where you can put thousands of instances look great for plants and rocks.

Unfourtanetly no demo... as of yet, as you already know...

What I wanted to ask is if some of you guys use it for "real work". Animations, productions, etc. Is the rendering speed acceptable?
I'm on a imac g5 with one gig of ram.

I will mosly model in cinema or other modeler and import some houses, buildings in Vue.
Then create the envireonment, water, trees, sky on it and animate flythroughs.. That's the idea ... :)

Any real story you would like to share ..? Does Vue 5 Infinite deliver on speed for production ?

Thanks all

Fernando

Wabe
05-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Really hard to tell.

What you can do is to download the Vue 5 Studio demo and see how it works for you. It gives a good impression on handling and speed. Of course you donīt have Ecosystems (the instancing tool) there but you get a better feeling, i am sure..

velarde
05-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Of course you donīt have Ecosystems (the instancing tool) there but you get a better feeling, i am sure..

Thanks Walther, but that' s EXACTLY the feauture I want to test , :) ja

Let's see what other have to say. I appreciate the response, though.. maybe I will download it anyway

fjv

ArtGuyJoe
05-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Well, I have used V5I for maybe 3 weeks now. Except for things that I need to attach a camera to, to follow models, or when I need to use a particle system, I have completely switched over from 3DS Max.

The ease of use for creating large environments is magnificent. I am still learning the use of functions and area maps for placing plants exactly where I need them. I am still having difficulty creating cool looking paths through forests though, mainly from my lack of experience with Vue.

All in all, I love this package! It has given me the ease of use that I thought 3DS would but didn't. There are SO many helpful people out there. I find all the Vue communities to be a bit nicer than the 3DS or Bryce communities (yes, I was a Brycer from the very begining [KPT Bryce]).

Pick it up. The Ecosystem is easy to use once you read Sacada's tutorials.

richcz3
05-16-2005, 05:19 PM
I am still learning how all the functions and filters effect the overall scene. I eventually intend to make some test animations and that is where a reality check is in order.

There are plenty of posts on Vue forums about the grainy and/or strobing output in rendered animations. It's a good point to note the manuals Troubleshooting startting on pg. 558. Avoid using high frequency procedural textures because the fine details probably won't be visable in an animation anyway. And avoid using soft shadows amoungst other things. Increasing the Quality parameters in various options is suggested as the best way to deal with granular effects.

On a positive note there looks to be a number of ways to minimize/optimize render times. Since render effects are controlled by surface, disabling certain effects that aren't needed could save long render times for video resolution projects. I hope to run some basic renders this week to see what kind of results can be achieved. This will give me an idea on how imported objects fair.

richcz3
05-18-2005, 11:37 PM
eck double post

richcz3
05-18-2005, 11:38 PM
I thought I would add something I completely overlooked. (this programs has so many features its easy to do that). There is a distributed rendering feature (Hyperview) that lets you harness the CPUs of other PC's in your network to render a single image. Kind of like an F9 on steroids when rendering a high res image.

http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/millsofpolys_02.jpg
The system works pretty nicely but you're limited to 5 cows unless you buy more render licenses. There are so many panels and options its easy to overlook something you need to get the animation rendered. I'm slowly getting Vues angle.

My biggest dissapointment so far is not being able to bake the Illumination on the first render but it kept crashing. Part of Vues solution to GI flicker is enabling baking. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2005, 11:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.