PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with some Metallic Shine effects for Catalog at work please!

Dizug
05-11-2005, 01:04 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first time here and I hope somebody could help me out on this. I am designing a catalog and we got a photographer to take pictures of our product. The problem is is that the pictures didn't come anywhere near as we wanted it to. I would like to take a regular photograph and make it covered half in the shadows, while having some lighting effects to make it shine. I have an example of how I would like the picture. Please email me at kongdoug@hotmail.com and I will send a picture of the example of how we would like our picture to be and a picture of our product. I'm assuming it takes an advanced user of photoshop. Please somebody help. I'll be really grateful. Thanks!

berniebernie
05-11-2005, 04:37 PM
I think if you actually posted the image a lot more use could see what you mean and help you with it, because it seems a bit confusing without pictures =)

Dizug
05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Okay sorry, I didnt know how to upload the jpegs didn't see the attachment area. Well the the pump picture is ours, and I am trying to make the picture like similar to the wine bottle. Similar type of lighting and shadowing if possible. Thanks.

Skjoldbroder
05-12-2005, 10:34 AM
This is just my personal opinion, but I think your photo is unsuitable for the process you're talking about. Again. Just my honest opinion, feel free to ignore me and go on about your business - also, I'm getting this out of context, so it probably makes more sense to you than me :)

anyways.

I think that a photo like the one of your product should really showcase the product clearly. The other pic is meant to be an evocative and alluring image of pleasure, in this case whiskey. Your product is not a bringer of pleasure, it's a pump with a pressure reader (or something similar?)
If you insist, you can put the object on your photo in similar light conditions of course, but to be honest I don't see the point. the surface properties of the two objects aren't the same (the glass bottle works on a dark background because of the reflections), the connotations you get from the products aren't the same, they're in completely different paradigms.

http://www.skjoldbroder.dk/fisse/something.jpg

Dizug
05-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Yea you're probably right with that. I've been trying to do it myself. with no luck. very generic. Well I"m trying to develop a catalog with that so If anybody could make an awesome design, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dizug
05-13-2005, 06:17 PM
by the way, i could post it up in GIF format to discard the white background if that would be easier. Thanks so much. This forum is great.

Snich
05-13-2005, 08:37 PM
You could use the white surface and add a fake reflection similar to the attached...

Dizug
05-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Nice. Can you teach me how you did that? Thanks. I'm pretty new to photoshop. I can't seem to mach the bottom together.

Snich
05-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks. The refection is a series of layers under the object's layer. Basically I just selected different pieces and flipped them vertically, then moved them into position under the main object. The layers are stacked like: main object layer, flipped feet layer, flipped gold base layer, flipped body layer, etc. Once I get all the flipped layers done I merge them into one reflection layer then clip it so it's only visible on the pedestal top. Take it's opacity down to about 25% and add a new layer between the object and reflection for the shadow. Use the lasso to make a shadow shape and fill with black, blur the shadow and reduce the opacity to about 20%. Thats about it. :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2005, 05:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.