PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Episode III Interviews

puch
05-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Episode III, Revenge of the Sith, containing over 2600 effects shots, depicts a decaying universe where entropy and corruption have tarnished a once-bright galactic civilisation. This visual theme emerged as both an artistic and practical consequence of the need to move the audience towards a visual style reminiscent of the original trilogy....

http://www.dmw.com.au/html/Star%20Wars.htm

Interesting that animation and Camera work was done in Maya. No mention of Soft or XSI... It probably true then that they tossed soft.

NanoGator
05-11-2005, 12:11 AM
I seriously doubt they tossed XSI.

TumikSmacker
05-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Like NanoGator said, it doesn't mean they tossed it. They probably used it in other areas of the project that are mentioned in the article.

chow-mein
05-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Maya..nothing but Maya...nothing but Maya...wo wo wo wo...sing it along the Star Wars theme.

I think ILM used all the tools in their disposal with no real preference for any particular package.

Terrell
05-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Nice article, but it's more like 2000-2100 effects shots, not 2600. 2800 were created, but 700-800 were cut. The reason they created that many was because they knew many scenes would be cut and many effects shots would be cut.

malducin
05-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Well usually they use Soft for the character work (plus Cari). The thing is Maya is used as the base package. Many times even though the character work is done on Soft it's then reimported to Maya because that's where they do scene and camera layout, add dynamics to characters that need it, etc. For things like hard surfaces (spaceships, helicopters, planes, etc.) the actual animation is usually done in Maya. Although there have been a fwe shows that have used MAya for their character work, most notably Jurassic Park 3 and I believe some of Hulk and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Just wait for the Cinefex article.

pogonip
05-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Nice article, but it's more like 2000-2100 effects shots, not 2600. 2800 were created, but 700-800 were cut. The reason they created that many was because they knew many scenes would be cut and many effects shots would be cut.

Maybe we'll see those 5-600 extra shots in future special editions ... they like to play that game.

arneltapia
05-11-2005, 08:41 AM
I am surprised they still use MEL scripting to simulate real camera dynamics.. :)

_mg_
05-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Pretty nice article.

Good to hear things like directors pushing the boundaries of CG-acting, rather than the usual appraisal of technology...

Nixon
05-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Great article, indeed.

I'm like looking forward to EP3 like... I don't know... since I was at 3D Festival in 2003 when Rob had a lecture there and also was at a panel on CG history. It was awesome, probably the best lecturer there was in 2003, showcasing stuff and talking bout things that changed my life.

I wonder if Mr. Coleman will be allowed to speak in a large conference anytime soon on the work for EP3, but if that's gonna happen no matter what, I'll be there.

I can't say that I really am a SW fanatic, but the work of all those incredible people, led by of course a legendary director as Mr. George Lucas just makes me... mad. I just don't know how many times I'll watch the movie, I almost hope it's not too perfect so that I'll be broke on movie tickets http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

malducin
05-11-2005, 04:16 PM
I wonder if Mr. Coleman will be allowed to speak in a large conference anytime soon on the work for EP3, but if that's gonna happen no matter what, I'll be there.

Yes, he will attend SIGGRAPH this year and talk about some of the work in the prequels. I suspect tghat he will also be at the VES Festival, but apparently we won't get separate sessions for each supervisor this year, like we did in 1999 and 2002.

Nixon
05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Yes, he will attend SIGGRAPH this year and talk about some of the work in the prequels. I suspect tghat he will also be at the VES Festival, but apparently we won't get separate sessions for each supervisor this year, like we did in 1999 and 2002.

That's some great news, malducin, i was planning to go to Siggraph too, but a month ago when I last checked for the schedule of lectures there weren't any. Now I see:

A Star Wars Retrospective
From Industrial Light & Magic:
Environments, Space Battles, and
the Characters Who Fought Them
From 1977 to 2005

Tuesday, 2 August, 6 8 pm
Panelists: Rob Coleman, Roger Guyett, John Knoll, Dennis Muren
Industrial Light & Magic

I didn't see that before... now it's a matter of life or death :) Coleman, Knoll, Muren they're like gods to me (I really haven't seen Mr. Roger Guyett's name before, but I'll dig for every piece of info about everyone of them). It's gonna be a great summer. I hope there won't be any problems with me being a student and I can get my visa to USA right.

malducin
05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Well the Special Sessions were announced like two months ago. While this one will be the main event, but the meat of the content will be the Sketches sessions which will be announced in July.

Roger Guyett has been at ILM, hmmm something like 10 years. His first supervisory projects were smaller or along with someone else (like Saving Private Ryan) but he was involved in the 1st and 3rd Harry Potter films. He is a bit more low profile. You can learn a bit about him here:

From Pixels to Perfection: Roger Guyett (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/profile/f20050211/index.html)

I hope there won't be any problems with me being a student and I can get my visa to USA right.

No, students are welcome at SIGGRAPH and you actually get a discount, better if you register early. Same for the VES Festival, see quitea few students there including a group from Minnesota.

Nixon
05-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Roger Guyett has been at ILM, hmmm something like 10 years. His first supervisory projects were smaller or along with someone else (like Saving Private Ryan) but he was involved in the 1st and 3rd Harry Potter films. He is a bit more low profile. You can learn a bit about him here:

From Pixels to Perfection: Roger Guyett (http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/profile/f20050211/index.html)

No, students are welcome at SIGGRAPH and you actually get a discount, better if you register early. Same for the VES Festival, see quitea few students there including a group from Minnesota.

Thanks for the info, I'll dig into it. I know about the discounts, but there's a slight problem with my location, I live almost in the opposite side of the world. That means that my travel and housing expenses are going to be larger than any other student's and perhaps even more than most of the atendees there. But that's not a the real problem...

I hope the american council in my country would be willing to grant me a visa. There've been are some definite problems with that last year, but I'll see what's going to be now. They were veri strict and it was very hard to get. I'll be doing my best though.

Best wishes, thanks again ;)

malducin
05-11-2005, 11:34 PM
While this is not the right threqad to discuss this, you should first look around to see if anymore people from your neck of you woods are going to SIGGRAPH: Universities, animation schools, local broadcasters, studios, etc. That way you could probably join a group or get roomates to split the costs. Good luck though.

twidup
05-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Well usually they use Soft for the character work (plus Cari).

thats not entirely true

Ep3 was the first all Maya show there. other shows had used maya for small chunks or specific things, but ep3 was all maya

soft was only used as a translator to work with things in Cari and something else.

all teh new shows are also using just maya and the other inhouse tools.

malducin
05-12-2005, 07:40 PM
thats not entirely true

You're right, I should have typed "used" instead, though by you own admission Ep. 3 was the first all Maya one. Last heavy use of Soft I know about was Azkaban, and haven't been in there for about a year.

soft was only used as a translator to work with things in Cari and something else.

Probably Zeno, though the utilities there take care of the tranlsation.

Boone
05-12-2005, 09:15 PM
I can't wait to see Grievous in motion... :bounce:

Nixon
05-13-2005, 08:09 AM

those guys just make themselves almost everything they use "inhouse". I've seen several screens of Cari, but I wonder if ever has that soft been shown like Jason Schleifer and Bay Raitt showed the Gollum facial and body controls in 3D fest 2003... it was totally mind-blowing.

But like they said, the studios just don't permit such stuff, cause its "knowhow", "copyright" and they've spent great bucks on it.

They've told me Siggraph was such a place, but I've never been there, and just makes me sooo anxious to do it this year, especially with the end of the saga.

Moonblood
05-13-2005, 09:54 AM
yeah but the movie will flop

malducin
05-13-2005, 04:32 PM
those guys just make themselves almost everything they use "inhouse".

Well all major houses need and have propietary software, and even smaller places like Tweak and Frantic Films devlelop uite a bi of stuff.

I've seen several screens of Cari, but I wonder if ever has that soft been shown like Jason Schleifer and Bay Raitt showed the Gollum facial and body controls in 3D fest 2003... it was totally mind-blowing.

From what I heard they showed the rig in Maya, not their propietary software per se. Many studios, including ILM, do show shot breakdowns, like rigs, wireframes, shot elements and their compositing, etc. At SIGGRAPH usually via customer presentations (like at the Alias, Softimage, Discreet, etc. booths). What they show of propietary stuff it's usually in the form of video to show the exhibition floor and sketches. Even if they could show the propietary stuff they would need to bring thier whole setup because it's doubtful it would run on any machine anyways. You can still learn a bit from the presentations.

yeah but the movie will flop

And I'm the Queen of England ;-).

Seriosuly how will it flop. It's a safe bet it'll probably be not only among the top 5 Summer movies but also for the year.

ThirdEye
05-13-2005, 04:44 PM
I really can't wait for this movie. The trailer looks A W E S O M E, i hope it doesn't let me down like Ep I and II.

/fades away humming the imperial march theme

puch
05-13-2005, 09:20 PM
thats not entirely true

Ep3 was the first all Maya show there. other shows had used maya for small chunks or specific things, but ep3 was all maya

I think Pirates Of The Caribbean was the first Maya show at ILM, but they have been using Maya for particles since the beginnings of times...

twidup
05-13-2005, 09:40 PM
like I said, Pirates and hulk used maya, but not for everything. ep3 was the first all maya show. Hulk and Pirates still used a lot of soft in it.

-todd

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2005, 09:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.