PDA

View Full Version : unexpected colour blending issue...

jmBoekestein
05-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi and thanks for checking.

I was trying to blend a shadow colour over a base layer and it seems to not be capable of doing what I would suspect:curious:. It's Painter IX and freaking me out for sure.:banghead: I have a predominantly orange colour towards red, I was blending a blueish pruple as shown in the second image to make a shadow. It seems to work for others but in painter I get a green colour, and I'm not at all happy about that. Does anybody know a work around for this?

http://img60.echo.cx/img60/7133/qohcolour19le.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

second with colour and new strokes applied...
http://img231.echo.cx/img231/4061/qohcolour26jk.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Drevious
05-10-2005, 06:26 PM
This is why work like delicate human detail touching is done in photoshop instead of painter, you cant do anything with that. Corel even increased this problem in IX and they are doing nothing to solve that. IX is really crazy about color variations when painting soft in low opacity. If you dont want to totally freak out, skip to Photoshop, or paint on lower opacity layer, or put much intense color and blend it later. This are three common ways how to deal with that.

jmBoekestein
05-10-2005, 06:38 PM
You have no idea how deep the dagger went!:sad:

It costs me an arm and a leg alone to keep equipment for 3d, I can't waste any more cash besides buying basic cloning software like photoshop elements for texture.

:banghead:
disfunctional F****ng american companies!!!

Jinbrown
05-10-2005, 06:56 PM
One easy way is to paint your shadows on a Default (Composite Method) Layer with the Pick Up Underlying Colors box unchecked, to avoid mixing colors as seems is what's happened.

In the demo below, I painted both on a Layer and on the Canvas. In the latter case, the colors mixed to produce another color. On the Layer, the color remained the same. I used the color spot in your second image to pick the color I assume you're using for shadows.

http://www.pixelalley.com/cgtalk/qohcolour19le_jins_demo.jpg

For the future:

It's important to provide enough information so we're not guessing when trying to answer questions. In this case, that would be:

Where is the figure image located, on the Canvas or on a Layer?

What Layer Composite Methods are you using?

Are you painting your shadows on the same level as the figure image (i.e. Canvas, same Layer, another Layer)?

What brush variant are you using, including any brush control adjustments you've made?

Have you tried mixing colors in the Mixer palette to see what the result will be, prior to painting your shadows?

Any other information you can think of that could possibly help us understand what's happening.

jmBoekestein
05-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks JinBrown, makes sense like this. :)

I didn't want to use layers for that because I wanted to use layers for grouping objects that I paint to later be able to do some post effects like a local blur. For depth of field effects I might want to try.

And thanks for the tips, I am really new to this 2d dimension of arts. I will remember to include more info next time.

I'm using a very basic brush, that's what's surprising me also. Just resaturation and low opacity at about 14 %. No extra settings, and a hard round brush. I've seen others get awesome results like this and it's a discrete method for applying colours I've found. So I want to use these brushes.

You guessed correctly abuot my set up. The canvas just gets some colour applied and maybe variance in it, the rest goes onto layers, all distinctly different object get a layer of their own. I found that was quite efficient in combination with preserve transparency. I guess there's the option of grouping layers left for me if there really isn't any other way.

I like to work quick and not worry about these things, it defies the logic of rgb colourspace, what can I do. I must work with it in all the other apps. No offense.

Lunatique
05-11-2005, 03:34 AM
This is why work like delicate human detail touching is done in photoshop instead of painter, you cant do anything with that. Corel even increased this problem in IX and they are doing nothing to solve that. IX is really crazy about color variations when painting soft in low opacity. If you dont want to totally freak out, skip to Photoshop, or paint on lower opacity layer, or put much intense color and blend it later. This are three common ways how to deal with that.

I never have to think at all about any of this whether painting in Painter or Photoshop. I just paint, and that's it. The only difference in Painter is the "Pickup Underlying Color" checkbox, for me. When I want a color to be on a layer by itself without blending with another color underneath it, I'll uncheck the box.

jmBoekestein
05-11-2005, 05:24 PM
But what about all those layers you might end up with, it's allready making me fell woozy. :eek:

Nehym
05-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Just do not forget to rename them Jan-Mark. :) And group together layers that ''fits'' together. All your ayers related to hair, or skin and the things you might add to them etc. Make ''themed'' group, that is how i work. And when i get the chance to ake them collapse in only one layer, i do it to keep the layer count down. Just be sure that you wont want to move it around or change it some more before, or that it has the base you wanted it to have.

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2005, 11:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.