PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Nubs
05-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Hello,

First off, I want to say that the work on here is truly inspiring and jaw dropingly amazing! Now here is my ordeal. I want to start doing some digital painting and I would like to start in Photoshop since I am fairly familiar with it. I have heard that it is easier to pick up digital painting if you have experience painting the traditional way. I never really picked up painting, though. I used to use graphite to do b/w drawings so I have some background.

I have a Wacom (really crappy one), but once I once I get more experience with digital painting I am planning to invest in a Intuos3. I have played around with my Wacom a little bit, but not too much. I have never been able to get that web paint feeling that the artists here have in their work. Basically what I am looking for is links to beginner's guide (doesn't have to be free), tutorials (I realized there is a sticky on this, but it is just a huge list instead of something specific...) and any other suggestions you guys have.

If you would like to look through some of my previous work, feel free to check out www.naveedlalani.com (http://www.naveedlalani.com/).

Keep up the great work guys and gals, and hope to here some feedback soon!

Naveed

PS: I might have accidentally posted this multiple times; the other ones didn't seem to go through (might be my computer).

-NG-
05-10-2005, 11:55 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=227727 have fun. :)

Nubs
05-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Cool link, thanks bud... any more help would be appreciated as well.

naveed

bumskee
05-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Nice website, even though I am not a flash fan, some nice work you got there.

As for digital painting, photoshop is good, have you tried out Art rage? it's a freeware and it's very simple but it's quite good. Just start painting, sketching with wacom, getting used to the whole thing is important. But I really think there's a just a bit more to digital painting than learning photoshop though. You are right by saying it's easier to pickup if you did traditional painting, they are the same thing, you are just on a different medium. :P

good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2005, 07:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.