PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Painterly rendering

snikki
10-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Hey Y'all

Here's a little something that needs a bit of critique.

It's part of an animation I worked on last year.
I've been looking into various ways of making a render look more like it's painted... this is the result.

www.saminikki.com/anims/summ_wc_01.mov

thanks,

SAmi

Jol
10-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Interesting, and nice animation.

I think maybe either the contrast or colour saturation could be taken up, if you are going for an 'expressionist' painterly feel I think the colours could be stronger. This would help seperate the chrysalis from the background.

The main problem though is the way the 'brush marks' cut through all the edges of all objects making them look as if viewed through a distorting glass. In a painting the brush marks move with the object and contour round it, ie. they are sympathetic to and work with the flow of the object rather than cutting across it.

Have a look at Van Goug's paintings and see how the marks flow around and within shapes. There is a painting of a chair , sorry can't remember title, which shows this clearly. I think this is a very tough thing you are trying to do, good luck with it.

stephen2002
10-09-2002, 02:31 PM
looks nice. There are some parts were there is not enough contrast, and the colors start to blend together and it is hard to pick out the shapes.

Also, the "canvase" seems to be way to rough, too blocky. It looks like canvase seen from very close up, like this is only a tiny part of a much larger painting.

snikki
10-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Hey again,

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, the scale of the canvas is definietly wrong. Good idea to put in controls for roughness etc.

The contrast is all wrong throughout the piece... unfortunately I don't have the original layers anymore so I can't fix those :( but I'll probably make something new now that this technique is starting to get somewhere.

Good idea about those edges. Havo to do something about them. Making the strokes go along the edges. At the moment they're kinda going globally in one direction.

thanks,

SAmi

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.