PDA

View Full Version : Im cursed with a paint brush..

Kickflipkid687
05-10-2005, 04:06 AM
Hi,

Ever since I started 3d modeling around 3 or 4 years ago, I've always been really bad at making textures for my models. I've tried to learn to using different patterns and add noise and use blur effects to make them look better, but my textures still always looks flat and only a solid color. If I could only make good textures.... my models would look MUCH better... What is a good way to learn about making 2d textures look 3d, and blending colors in programs like PSP 8 or Photoshop? Pleeeeease help me... i'm beggging..... I really need to learn this stuff If i want to be in game design....

thanks SO MUCH,

HerrKatt
05-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Hello.
I don't know if this helps; but on this site you can download some very cool free photoshop brushes. :)
http://creativemac.com/articles/listarticle.jsp?type=downloads

erilaz
05-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Textures are all about adding depth and colour to a model, especially in game design where resources are limited (ie. texture and polycount). Even if you have a good splay of colour, you're going to have to learn about shadows and highlights. As realtime lighting and normal mapping is coming more prominent, you also need to consider how to seperate your maps.

As a simple example though, have you considered baking lighting into your models? Can you post up an example of a model that you've textured so we can point out how to refine it?

bumskee
05-11-2005, 07:54 AM
I think some painting lessons will help you out. :)

erilaz, your avatar has been upgraded. I remember the normal looking tea cup.

slickster
05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
erilaz, your avatar has been upgraded. I remember the normal looking tea cup.

off-topic
bumskee - look around for the start wars avatar thread - it's gold :)

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I've often thought about improving my non-existent texturing skills ...

Kickflipkid687
05-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I will post a picture of a vehicle im texturing now. The diamond plate im using on the sides is ok looking, but the roll cage looks very plain.... Yea, I really need to learn how to use light and color better.

Kickflipkid687
05-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Hi,

Ok, heres a picture of my car so far. Im trying to blend the side of the tire into the top tread picture I used. I also need to tweak the rest of the texture somehow??

http://img136.echo.cx/img136/1269/dantemodel6vi.jpg

Kickflipkid687
05-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Hi,

Well, I've done alot of tweaking since that last post, and it's looking alot better. Now I just have to figure out how to make the shocks alpha channel, so that you dont see that black around the red springs?

http://img138.echo.cx/img138/4735/dantemodel8wl.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2005, 06:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.