PDA

View Full Version : Lookin For: Intro to painter for PS users

Daz
05-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Hi

I've been using photoshop for a longtime now, I know the program backwards, but what I'm looking for is an intro to Painter for Photoshop users. Just a comparison of shortcut keys, new ways of doing things ect.

I have access to both programs of course.

Jinbrown
05-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Hi,

Painter, any version, is complex and it would be impossible to give you a short course in a single thread, or even in several threads.

Because of that, my strong recommendation is to first read quickly through the entire Painter IX User Guide or Help > Help Topics at least once to get an idea of what they contain, what Painter IX offers in the way of features and brushes, and begin to learn Painter terminology.

To compare keyboard shortcuts read the following chapter:

• Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Keyboard Shortcuts

To learn how to customize your keyboard shortcuts, read the following:

• Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > The Basics

On the right panel, click Setting Preferences.

On the next page, scroll down and read the section named Customize Keys Preferences.

If you don't know what something on the Painter IX interface is called, go to the Help menu and click Show Tool Tips. Then hold your cursor very still over an item on the Painter IX interface until its name is displayed.

Once you've done all that, you'll be able to post questions with enough detail and appropriate terminology so others will have the best chance of being able to help.

Daz
05-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Cheers I was kinda hoping they'd have a "Panter for Photoshop users" Printout, like the "Maya for 3DSmax users" Printout

Drevious
05-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Quick answer is: there is no such a thing, because these programms are totally different in ways of working.
Clear yr mind before skipping to Painter. And what is more important, this software is much more drawing program, u dont have to know a whole bunch of shortcuts to success. This is why a lot of ppl combine them together when working.
And do not work in Painter as u were in Photoshop. These are my clues. Cheers.

Jinbrown
05-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Drevious' advice is good. Approach Painter with an open mind and don't think of it as another Photoshop. It is not. The two programs are very powerful and each is created for different purposes. In a nutshell (and to oversimplify):

Painter is a Natural Media® digital artist's studio.

Photoshop is a digital darkroom.

I'll add that Painter is not only a drawing program, it's a painting program for artists that includes brush variants that can be used for both painting and drawing.

It also includes vector based Shapes that can be created using the Shape tools: Pen, Quick Curve, Rectangular Selection, and Oval Selection. Shapes can be edited using the Shape editing tools: Scissors, Shape Selection, Add Point, Remove Point, and Convert Point .

In addition to a large number of other features, many Painter drawing and painting brushes interact with the currently selected Paper so we can add texture to an image/drawing/painting as we draw or paint, right there in the brushstrokes.

DigArts
05-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi Daz (& Jin),

Most of the problems you face are UI related, i.e. where tools and commands are located in the workspace and how they operate relative to their counterparts in PS.

It shouldn't be a difficult problem. Think of it as having to learn the street layout of a village similar to the one you live in.

If your task can be reduced to 12 common commands, it might be easiest to use the Customize Keys "preference" and set-up the shortcut keys to match those you use in PS.

Good luck,
Dennis@DigArts
http://www.gardenhose.com (http://www.gardenhose.com/)

http://www.gardenhose.com/groups/preference.jpg

http://www.gardenhose.com/groups/customize.jpg

Drevious
05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Jin, everything looks so beautifull on paper when reading, in practise its much more different.
I dont really care if u actually believe me about what i said, but u may just ask someone else who is making money from doing digital art.

And if you want to know, Photoshop is not really digital darkroom (but really close from available market softwares) and Painter is not really natural media whatever. This is only what its written on a brochure :)
Everyone judge software through prismn of what they are doing on it, but these are only tools, and if something is better on a second program, they just prefer to jump to, and there is A LOT of differents between PS and P.

Daz, do what DigArt said, its good alternative.

Cheers.

Jinbrown
05-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Drevious,

I won't argue with you, and if you'll notice, I did say what you'd said in your previous post was good advice.

Natural Media® is a trademark used by Corel Painter to mean that the software simulates traditional media drawing and painting tools.

I also said that the two descriptions I gave for Painter and Photoshop were oversimplified, but they are descriptions used often when trying to convey in a few words what each program is designed for.

In any case, take it easy. I'm not here to give you or anyone a bad time and trust that you're not either.

and....

Hi Dennis! ;)

Drevious
05-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Sorry Jin, it was day full of emotions:)

peace

Jinbrown
05-10-2005, 01:13 AM
No problem, Drevious.

Hope your day calms down and you feel better.

Peace back at ya! :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2005, 01:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.