PDA

View Full Version : LightWave [8] v8.3 Now Available!

Kurtis
05-09-2005, 03:00 PM
NewTek is pleased to announce that the fourth free update for registered owners of LightWave [8], v8.3, is now available for download. Highlights of this free update include:

Multi-Core Processor Support
PSD Import/Export Revisions
New "Text Layers" Tool
Improved Vector Blur Routines
New "Relative Particle Age" Gradient Option for HyperVoxels
New "Blending" Surface-Tension Control for HyperVoxels
EPS Import/Export Revisions
Enhanced Documentation for LightWave's Object Properties Edge Tab Functions
11 SDK Changes
150+ bug fixes
For more information, please visit:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw83

GCL
05-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Great to hear about it BUT no on their servers, yet. Only 8.21 seen !

Kurtis
05-09-2005, 04:07 PM
I apologize to anyone that may have tried to download already, and either didn't find the files or downloaded small test files. There was a snafu with our file servers, but all is fixed now, and you should be able to access the files.

harlan_hill
05-09-2005, 06:46 PM
They killed a Sh!tload of bugs with these release, added some new features, and it's a free upgrade!! great job guys!!

sinbad
05-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Are these point one incremental updates going to stack up, and soon become a point five?

harlan_hill
05-09-2005, 08:21 PM
There will more than likely be an 8.5 release, which will include all of the fixes in the recent 8.x releases, but they won't just combine all of the fixes and release it as an 8.5 if that's what you mean. I'm sure 8.5 will be a 'feature' release rather than just bug fixes, but it will obviously have the bugs squashed that they've been squashin.

If I were a bettin man, I'd say look for an 8.5 release somewhere around SIGGRAPH. Just a guess though.

dotTom
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Sorry but how does "multi-core processor support" differ from "multi-threaded and works well on a SMP rig"? Smells like market-ecture. Unless all they mean is they're not licencing by the core but by the socket, which would make sense.

norritt
05-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Sorry but how does "multi-core processor support" differ from "multi-threaded and works well on a SMP rig"? Smells like market-ecture. Unless all they mean is they're not licencing by the core but by the socket, which would make sense. I think you get a unlimited cpu license even on rendering with lightwave. Maybe they mean, that now multi core/multi cpu is supported also while modelling and animating and not just for rendering? That would be interesting!

Hazdaz
05-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Sorry but how does "multi-core processor support" differ from "multi-threaded and works well on a SMP rig"? Smells like market-ecture. Unless all they mean is they're not licencing by the core but by the socket, which would make sense.

Probably has to do with the new dual-core chips coming from AMD and Intel that are literally 2 CPU cores on one chip. Mutli-threading is something different.

chrisWhite
05-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm really liking the sound of PSD improvements. Can't wait for the semester to be over so I can play :bounce:

BillB
05-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Probably has to do with the new dual-core chips coming from AMD and Intel that are literally 2 CPU cores on one chip. Mutli-threading is something different.

His point being that there's little difference to the application whether it's on a dual cpu or dual core. But given NewTek's close relationship with Intel, they may have done some finetuning to optimise for the finer details of dual core cpu's.

But yes, in principle it's mostly marketing I suspect. All they say is that it's got native support - nothing about it being a new feature, where all the other points in the release say "now includes" or "new" etc. There's nothing in the ReadMe about it unless you count "Speed and Workflow Optimizations" :)

Nice release nevertheless. Thanks NT!

ArtisticVisions
05-10-2005, 02:42 AM
PSD Import/Export Revisions
EPS Import/Export Revisions
Enhanced Documentation for LightWave's Object Properties Edge Tab Functions

Thank... God... :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2005, 02:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.