PDA

View Full Version : Steven Stahlberg Online Workshop - Cybergirls

Leonard
05-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

We're pleased to announce an online CGWorkshop with highly renowned 3D artist Steven Stahlberg.

http://www.cgworkshops.com/courses/000003/

Cybergirl - Modeling the Female Form

Accurate and evocative depiction of female form has challenged artists since mankind began drawing - from Botticelli to Rembrandt, Matisse to Cezanne, Brom to Vallejo. In more recent years the rise of the Cybergirls, Cyberbabes and Cyberchicks has added a new genre. However the challenges remain the same, how to best depict alluring and beautiful women? Over 8 weeks Steven Stahlberg will outline the basic elements required to model, texture and accessorize the female form in 3d. The course will cover referencing, anatomy, polygonal framing, topology, modeling, texturing, workflow, accessorizing and joint deformation.

Begins: 13 June 2005
Ends: 14 August 2005
Active weeks: 8
Fees: USD $349.00 (5% discount for CGSociety Members)
http://www.cgworkshops.com/images/spacer.gif
Maximum Students: 20

08 May 2005 - 03 June 2005

More information and Enrollment Details here:
http://www.cgworkshops.com/courses/000003/

http://leonard.cgcommunity.com/cybergirl.jpg (http://www.cgworkshops.com/courses/000003/)

Robert Diaz
05-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Great stuff!:thumbsup: I'd love to take the course, but with work and regular classes I just don't have the time. Good luck to everyone who actually takes the course. Can't wait to see what work/improvement comes out of the people taking the course. Hopefully there will be a workshop for us animation types as well. Later.

DrFx
05-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Rockin'!:buttrock:
Too bad Kuala Lumpur is a bit far off for me, but this is very cool!

AmirP
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Sounds great :)

I didnt really understand from the course outline, is it going to be video tutorials, plain text, webcast ... ???

SheepFactory
05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Rockin'!:buttrock:
Too bad Kuala Lumpur is a bit far off for me, but this is very cool!

It is a online workshop.

DrFx
05-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Oh. I read the thing too hastily! The location was just the instructor's location. That workshop is a great idea indeed!

erpel
05-09-2005, 06:04 PM
wow that sounds great! I m thinking about it... I would DEFINITLY enroll if you do an advanced course on Mental ray!!! maybe Francesca Luce or Jared something or Zap something could teach it!!!

Arkon11
05-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Agreed, though this workshop looks great for people that are interested. I'd really be ready to enroll in an intermediate -to- advanced course in mental ray.

*signals Jeff Patton*

MFTituS
05-09-2005, 09:15 PM
hm, too bad this is a full time course for over 8 weeks. for employed people itīs not possible to get vacations for such a long time.

but what about some guests/ spectators in the course? would be great to come in the evening from work and read over all the tutorials and tips, looking in the forum, learn from the works of other artists or just see some vids stahlberg teaching?
i just have not the time to follow the instructions and make a model on my own. but it would be interesting to take part as a silence member for half the price or so......maybe you think about it :)

Leonard
05-09-2005, 09:32 PM
hm, too bad this is a full time course for over 8 weeks. for employed people itīs not possible to get vacations for such a long time.

but what about some guests/ spectators in the course? would be great to come in the evening from work and read over all the tutorials and tips, looking in the forum, learn from the works of other artists or just see some vids stahlberg teaching?
i just have not the time to follow the instructions and make a model on my own. but it would be interesting to take part as a silence member for half the price or so......maybe you think about it :)

Sigh. Did you read anything? It's an online workshop and you can take it at whatever time you want. It's part time.

MFTituS
05-09-2005, 11:40 PM
yes i know, but who knows how you have planned to handle it exactly. the information on the page isnt very clear or my english is too bad (maybe itīs cause i missed out the course details window) - but ok, that sounds better now.

but again - a guest mode would be fine cause of the low studentnumber. and it would be interesting enough for me just to hear what steven has to say. for my own highres model i havent much time and the laziness is the other prob.

Peddy
05-10-2005, 12:51 AM
wow. I'd not complain about lack of time and then also say you are too lazy to do it even if you had the time...

greynite1
05-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Just filled it out today. I'm so down luckily I have a lull in my regular classes this summer. This came at the perfect time and is just way too good to pass up. I'm a bit intimidated but I will hang. I'm very excited about this just the idea of learning the topology alone is worth it.

Just out of curiosity if we filled out the form and paid do we receive some kind of confirmation?

Rock on Steven teach me the ways of the Cybergirl :buttrock:

*sits in meditation pose* :wise:

Andrew-Plumer
05-10-2005, 03:34 AM
I didnt really understand from the course outline, is it going to be video tutorials, plain text, webcast ... ???
Hello AmirP
The course will be a combination of written tutorials and forum based interaction with Steven.

but again - a guest mode would be fine cause of the low studentnumber. and it would be interesting enough for me just to hear what steven has to say. for my own highres model i havent much time and the laziness is the other prob.
Hi MFTitus
We may look at this in some time. Our priority at the moment is to ensure students who have enrolled receive value for the money they have paid and gain as much as they can from the classroom interaction and the direct tuition from the Instructors.

Just out of curiosity if we filled out the form and paid do we receive some kind of confirmation?

Welcome Aboard greynite1
You should receive an automatically generated email confirming your place. If you don't email me directly and I will check. Once registration has closed you will receive an email with passwords that will allow you to access the private forum wher you will be able to upload your work and meet the other students.

Cheers

-Vormav-
05-10-2005, 03:42 AM
I really wish I was made of money... *sigh*
Hope the course goes well for you guys. :)

Mibus
05-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Normally you'd get an email, but we find most of our automated emails get spam-filtered pretty heavily. From what I can see you're in fine though, enrollment ID CGWSe180.

Ah, you mis-typed your email address; that's why. (You missed the ".com" :)).

greynite1
05-10-2005, 06:11 AM
Could have sworn that I got that right really sorry for bugging you guys. thats cool just wanted to make sure I was accounted for I figured I should have received something but wasn't sure what had happened. thanks again.

Ollarin
05-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Meh...I would take this in a heartbeat. If had he cash. :cry:
Hope there are more workshops like this. And hopefully i'll have the $$$ then. :p

greyface
05-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Showing 3 examples of your best female 3D/2D work is absolutely necessary? :hmm: Pity..

csutcliffe
05-10-2005, 03:55 PM
I know the course hasn't even started yet but are the any plans to run the same course again in the future? Even if the demand is high it will no doubt depend on whether or not Steven will have time.

I for one would definately take this workshop if it was a couple of months later.

gunslingerblack
05-10-2005, 08:31 PM
damn, if i had 300 dollars burning a hole in my pocket i would be signed up already, too bad good luck guys with the course. Steven is a great at answering questions so u guys are def in good hands.

THECLYKE
05-10-2005, 08:36 PM
IF I MAKE A REALLY GOOD IMAGE COULD I GET IN FOR FREE?.......JUST KIDING. I NEED A JOB:deal:

leigh
05-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Showing 3 examples of your best female 3D/2D work is absolutely necessary? :hmm: Pity..

It is necessary to ensure that the students enrolling are of a sufficient skill level to benefit from the course. Due to the short time frame, the instructors cannot afford the time to teach people absolute basics. This is why they need to check your current skill level.

reiv
05-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi,
That really sounds great, but do you plan to make teaching DVDs from this workshop? That would be an affordable acces for people to this workshop.

reiv.

adren@line
05-11-2005, 06:39 AM
I have a basic understanding of 3d, but I have never modelled a a female figure before.

I have done an unfinished head, a robotic scorpion, and I am currently working on a full human figure.

Can I still get in?

I have basic familiarity with Maya, Max, and Zbrush.

Also, does he tell you exactly how to model the figure? Or is it very generalized?

I am very interested.

new2LW
05-11-2005, 09:52 AM

I'm pretty sure the workshop says human form, not specifically female. I would assume that if you could show you know enough about organics in general that they would let you in. :shrug:

Eric

ukyo
05-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Is the class already full? its says registration is closed, if so that filled up fast,,, no surprise though ?_?

Stahlberg
05-11-2005, 04:29 PM
I have done an unfinished head, a robotic scorpion, and I am currently working on a full human figure.
Can I still get in?
Also, does he tell you exactly how to model the figure? Or is it very generalized?

I wouldn't automatically reject someone for not having any female models per se to show, far from it. What we'll be trying to establish is simply a general average level that is fairly homogenous, that's all. We don't want one person that's way ahead or far behind the rest, it wouldn't be fair to that person because the course would then be geared towards the majority's level, not to his/her level.

I won't be uploading finished models to give to the students, or moving the vertices for the students, or supplying such detailed steps that they can copy exactly the coordinates in xyz of every point... I want instead to teach them how to think and do it on their own. Hopefully I can get some variety in the students' work, some different body types and styles etc. I will be giving html-tutorials, lots of feedback, as detailed as the students want it to be, mainly in the form of over-paints over screengrabs, and sketches, and comments.

edit:
I just read the post about it being filled up, if that's true don't worry guys, if we're all happy with this workshop once it's over, it's very likely I may do this again, since by then I'll have all the tutorials already done, plus the experience from the first time under my belt. :)

Leonard
05-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi all,

Registration is full. That was quick!

Leonard

Danzarin
05-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Hi.
Im so sad, the class went full when I was about to enroll :sad:
I wonder, if there is any subcription list or some kind of queue, so we get in if someone gets out.
I mean, this is a great opportunity I cant miss. Im sure some people will rethink it before June and they may abandon their slot because of any good reason.
So, I just want to get that chance, if possible, to join this wonderfull workshop.

Stahlberg
05-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Thanks for your interest. Sure, if there are drop-outs we'll fill up the spaces, starting with anyone expressing interest in this thread after registration closed (you being the first so far). But again, don't worry, if I can do this course once I'm sure I can do it several more times. :)

ukyo
05-12-2005, 05:38 PM
OOO i want on the wating list too!!!

giles.t
05-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Steven,

I'd like to be on the waiting list too if anyone drops out (assuming that I would be accepted). Thanks, giles

Goon
05-13-2005, 11:25 PM
I signed up for this like the first day it was available, but something seems to have gone wrong with my payment. Can a cgnetworks employee contact me, so we can get this sorted?

Andrew-Plumer
05-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Hello Goon
You are in and registered at our end. I will check with our accounts people on Monday and see what the problem is with the payment. As of close of business yesterday everything was fine.

Cheers

Goon
05-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Cool :D

Thanks

Lyr
05-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Has anyone else that has registered recieved their password allowing them to access the course homepage? haven't gotten mine yet.

greynite1
05-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Hey Andrew

when is the presentation of our previous work going to be due? When do we have to show it? do you want it presented in any specific way? whats the dealio there?

Andrew-Plumer
05-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Hi greynite1
Shortly after the published date for close of regsitration (3 June) enrolled students will receive an email giving them a usernames and passwords for the classroom site. On the site they will find a workthread where they can post their work. They will be able to see each other's work and start getting to know each other before the posting of the first tutorial. Work will need to be posted as Jpeg attachments, specific instructions will be on the site.

Cheers

greynite1
05-14-2005, 01:31 AM
All I need to know thanks andrew for the quick resposne.

James1
05-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Hi, I am very interested in this course. If a space opens on this course, or if I can register for the next one, please put my name down, thanks :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2005, 04:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.