PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Artist: Pascal Blanché

Leonard
05-09-2005, 11:16 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/meettheartists/pascal_blanche/header.jpg

Pascal Blanché
Art Director, Ubisoft
EXPOSÉ 3 Grand Master

Pascal Blanché is a world-renowned digital animation artist. He has worked in the video game field for eleven years at companies such as Virtual Xperience and Ubisoft. He has also worked on CG films including character modeling and lead cinematics at Xilam Studios, and also with Sony, on the first French/Canadian full CG movie ‘Kaena: the Prophecy’. Pascal is presently Art Director at Ubisoft, one of the biggest video game development studios in the world.

Pascal Blanché has just been announced as the EXPOSÉ 3 (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/) Grand Master. The Grand Master title is bestowed upon an artist exhibiting outstanding skill and contribution to the advancement of digital art. Selected by a highly celebrated panel of judges, Ballistic Publishing presented the EXPOSÉ 3 Grand Master Award to Pascal Blanché. “I am deeply humbled by the honor of being named the Grand Master of EXPOSÉ 3. Being chosen to follow on from Ryan Church and Craig Mullins is awe-inspiring,” said Pascal Blanché.

Blanché started out as an illustrator, doing page layouts and comic roughs at Tilt magazine, the biggest French video game magazine at the time. “Then came a day when I jumped at the opportunity of my life. The official illustrator was out for holidays, the magazine was doing its first publication in full digital process and they needed a full-page illustration. I told the boss I could work Photoshop on a Mac. Of course, it was my first illustration with Photoshop, and the one button mouse was a nightmare to use, but I managed to get more illustration work after that, and my own column about CG drawing.”

In 2000, Blanché moved to Canada and worked for a year as an animator, then lead animator on the first French/Canadian full CG movie ‘Kaena: the Prophecy’, distributed by Sony. It was the first time he’d had such a specialized animation assignment. “I remember animating a scene with ten human-like characters moving around and interacting each other at the same time,” says Blanché. “Unfortunately, the production of the sequel was stopped. This was a pity because with the experience we’d gained, the second movie would have been interesting to do.”

Blanché found his first assignment in the video game industry with a little company called Virtual Xperience, where he worked with five other guys on a video game for three years. “I started creating characters in clay, then used a digital camera to take a picture of each pose and reproduce the whole animation with an Amiga 2000.” After that he worked two years at Xilam Studios on the adaptation of a French kid’s cartoon called ‘Home to rent’. Blanché was in charge of the modeling of the characters and lead cinematics. Thomas Szabo, the director and scriptwriter of the project was also one of the scenarists of the series. “He taught me a lot about framing and storyboarding; how to place a camera; how to tell a story in a few shots,” says Blanché. “He would come in on Monday morning with a few strips and act out the entire cinematic in front of me. With no time for full modeling, half the time I was animating and modeling what I had in the frame, and the other half mixing up little recipes on After Effects to save time. After a lot of coffee, my first game was released.”

“I think that CG arts fields will continue to grow, and the 2D and 3D mediums will converge more and more,” explains Blanché. “This will happen in all areas of professional creation: concept design; matte painting; architecture; and VFX. More traditional artists will switch to CG. Things are only starting to get interesting.”

Pascal Blanché (http://pascal.youladesign.com/)
EXPOSÉ 3 (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/meettheartists/pascal_blanche/1.jpg

http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/meettheartists/pascal_blanche/2.jpg

http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/meettheartists/pascal_blanche/3.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your questions or request for critique

The "Meet the Artists" forum provides a conducive environment where CGTalk members can have the opportunity to speak to some of the finest digital art talents in the world! CGTalk members can post questions and artwork, and have them answered or critiqued by these master artists. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable insight from seasoned industry veterans!

Rules for Q&A/Critique:
1. Use your real name (edit your CGTalk profile in UserCP). Note: Anonymous postings may be removed at CGTalk's discretion.
2. Please be polite when asking questions or for critique.
3. Check the whole thread to see if your question has already been asked. Do not post duplicate questions.
4. When posting critique, please use the CGTalk Attachments feature so that the artwork remains accessible.
5. Note that the Artist is under no obligation to answer all questions or critique all work posted. It is at his/her sole discretion to answer questions or critique work.
6. If the Artist does not answer your question or critique your work, do not harass him/her.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

InterFacer
05-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Pascal!

FIrst off, congratulations on your acheivement of Grand Master of Expose 3!
I've admired your work for its technical accuracy and beautiful compositions for a long time. So many of them have a great sense of motion and life to them, they are awe inspiring to look at.

How difficult was the transition from doing comic roughs to digital illustration?
As an art student beginning to work in a digital media, is there a specific field (illustration, industrial design, etc) you would emphasize to be successful in the industry?
How much time does your average peice take to complete?
How much importance would you place on institutional education as far as developing strong enough skills to work within the industry?

Thanks Pascal, and Congratulations again!

isigraphics
05-09-2005, 10:58 PM
hi pascal,
first i have to say that i love your work. your are a big inspiration for all of us!

my question is if there is anything more you want to achieve in your life (in cg work)? i mean you worked on games, films, magazines. is there anything more that you would like to work on?

bye
ismail

jtuulos
05-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Hello, Mr. Blanché

First of all - the obvious thing - congratulations on the Grand Master title. Your work has truly earned it's place and respect :applause:.

The foremost question that always comes to my mind when I see a brand new piece of art from you is: "How can he imagine such wonderful and weird things?" And by weird, I mean imaginative and clever, not odd-and-ugly-weird :D. So, I think this is an opportunity to ask this straight from you:

Where do you find the imagery/inspiration for your work (other artists, music, etc.) and how much of it is just skill of creating original design from years of experience? Is originality in your opinion something you can develop and practise?

I know this is The Question that is always asked from prolific and succesful artists, but someone else would ask this anyway if I didn't.

Congrats again and keep up the good work :).

anzibon
05-09-2005, 11:36 PM
I thought they might get you to do this. I'm glad they did.
my name is Brian, I'm a big fan of your work.

if you get a chance, I would love some input on a value scale problem I'm having with a 2D project of mine. I've started on color in another file, but I'm still not convinced I've gotten a good feel with the B&W study. the link is below.

thanks so much,
~B

DDS
05-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Hey Pascal, I'll use this thread, like everyone, to show you my respects for your amazing work.

*respect*

I'd say that your unique style is like the croquettes of my grandmother, there's some hidden ingredient that no one can guess that makes them be sooo tasty and special...anyways in your case everyone knows it's mostly about textures / lighting / photoshop, so...

...my questions:
1. Do you use GI in that personal stuff, or you prefer to light manually to control everything more?

2. Do you think it's important to give textures some filter or manual tweaking to get the mood?

3. Do you think that tweaking in photoshop "A LOT", as you have said in some threads of your images, makes them less valuable as 3D art?

4. Do you like paying a lot of attention to detail, or you prefer the perfect overall look (colors, composition, etc.)?

5. Do you really think photorrealism is something that can be called "art"? (it doesn't have anything to do with my opinion, it's just a question)

Thanks Pascal ;)

jmBoekestein
05-10-2005, 12:08 AM
While I was still praying on free software I had no internet or portal to some sort of civilisation. I had magazines and your work has thoroughly insppired me too push things in myself to make what I want to make. I'm sincerely greatfull for that.:scream::thumbsup:

I'm not very experienced and I'm guessing many people fresh to 3d and character design would pop by here.:shrug:So this would be uhm...smart to ask.

So I'd like to ask, what your "golden rules" are when working into a final result. DO you have a method on approaching the geometry you need, hoow much freedom do you leave in your sketches. What does one actually need to be capable of for good characters, or what should we know?

I wonder if you yourself have created a concept to put your creatures in, for a movie maybe. I believe there would be market for such a short film. Maybe UBI soft could uphold the flag and catch in on the profits for you to beable to do it.:shrug:

edit: I would also be much obligeed if you would have a look at my model for as much as it is now. If there's the time I guess.:D
My forestnymph creature thingy (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1928166&postcount=35)
whole thread for her (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=195679&page=1&pp=15)
it's NURBS yes :rolleyes:, and un-stitched... Maya 6...uhm...if you need any info...just ask...:wise:

Poisen
05-10-2005, 12:19 AM
congrates on the grand master title!

i always find your work to be some of the most recognizable due to your unique style," i think its the lighting"

Im starting to get serious about working freelance as a modeler and texture artist, have any tips on where to start developing contacts and work?
So far ive found that competition is fierce, and its hard to even someone to look at your work, let alone to take the risk of trying unproven talent, so pointers from someone in your position would be greatly appreciated.

also it would be great honor if you would stop by and critique some of my work.

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Y&Artist=Poisen

thanks for your time, and the opportunity to ask a few questions

Best regards
Jon Bennett

paperclip
05-10-2005, 12:27 AM
CONGRATULATIONS pascal!! Must feel great to be named 'grand master'...

I have no questions right now, so I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching you sweat under the tide of questions you're going to get!
Must say....always enjoyed your stuff, esp. the snailman....
Keep up the amazing work, you're making us all proud :thumbsup:

onlooker
05-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Hey pascal, I'm a big fan, and I've had this 35" x 52" mermaid print for a long time. (way before CGPrints anyway :thumbsup: ) Everybody that sees it stares at it forever. They love it. I love it.
I was wondering if I were to pull this from the frame, roll it back up, and send it to you with return post included would you sign it for me? I would be forever grateful. :bowdown:

http://homepage.mac.com/emuns/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-05-08%2022.17.08%20-0700/Image-6F744A2CC04911D9.jpg

Heber
05-10-2005, 12:40 AM
oh finally! hehe i hope you remember me pascal,
anyways you know how much i love your work, heres my questions:

1-i love your 3d illustrations, my question is when you are modeling a character are you creating it to work from any angle , and then you figure our your composition later?
or do you plan out what the illustration will look like and then model and texture accordingly?

2-same thing with weighting and rigging do you just do enough to pose or are your characters built to be animatable?

i love your illustrations and style keep it up.

-heber alvarado

loocas
05-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Hi there Pascal,

I can't think of any questions but I want to use this opportunity, since you will for sure be reading this thread, to congratulate you on the Grand Master Award in EXPOSÉ III and also on your general success in the world of CG. I also wish you all the best to the future both in your personal and professional lives!

:bowdown: master :bowdown:

:thumbsup:

Cheers,

- loocas duber

brudney
05-10-2005, 01:31 AM
Hi Pascal, it's awesome to see you here. I love your artwork, it's just gorgeous. personally i find two of your pieces - arcanum and gladiator- to be some of the most amazing 3d works i have ever seen. magnificent. how do you come up with such incredible designs? ok stupid question...

do you do a lot sketching, drawing etc. before you start modeling? or maybe you do everything on the fly as you go, improvising a lot..

you seem to heavily rely on the composing packages. do you spend a lot of time tweaking your rendering settings trying to get the best results straight out of your 3d app or do you achieve this unique look of your works doing a lot of work inside of, let's say, photoshop?

thanks for your time! :thumbsup:

pascal_blanche
05-10-2005, 02:02 AM
thx everybody for the reeeally kind comments!
for starters, you know im french , so.. expect some funny english from time to time
ok lets roll:

interfacer:
1_going from traditionnal illustration to cg illustration was not a big deal, i was already used to
work with different kind of mediums (photography,sculpt, video..)
2_from my own experience, i would say that you should go with what fits you the most, or what
you are really eager to learn, what you can project yourself working on for years. when it comes from your heart, you will have much more chance to succed.
3_i would say between three and six weeks.. it really depends on the subject, the time i have..
4_ You should never underestimate the power of the institutional education :D. Seriously.. it can be sometimes a bit boring to learn stuff you think you dont need, but it is a whole experience you would have not approached by your own.. And it helps. So yes i would say that a good institutional education is a really good base for a career.

isigraphics:
comic book.. i would love to create my own cg comic book.. i think that there is plenty of new areas to explore there...

jtuulos:
i dont think i have enough years of practice to already have my own original design. Of course i have a style.. but i am still perfecting it and searching for it. I am a huge comic book reader since my early days, i read mangas, art books, european comics ( BD ) and watch almost anything that is related to animation. Everything i see gives me so tracks and hints for possible new illustrations, so it is really hard to tell from where my imagination comes from! I have a deep interrest for artists that really have great imagination. For instance, i respect the work of Boris Valejo but i dont find the thrill of a good Frazetta paint in it...

anzibon:
cant see your link...id rather like you send me a direct email for more personnal work, i'll answer with pleisure...

DDS:
1. I tend to use GI now, but slightly. I always avoid to add more than three lights in a scene.

2. i would say that it depends on the subject, but generaly i love to tweack materials to get the good specular and softness
3. the big question.. where to put my work? is it still 3D art? ahaha well ,at this point i like to say that i am using tools that i am the more comfortable with.. and i dont ask myself to much question about it

4. overall look is what drives my attention at first, yes. Then i usually try to detail parts that are worth it (meaning parts that will show at the end)

5.yes Photorealism is art. ;)

heey jmBoekestein!:

1_My golden rule number one is: overhall to detail (as explained above)
my sketches are usually here to fix the idea very fast ( it happened from time to time that i FORGOT about that cool pict i had in mind) and to fix the comp also (strong lines)
My other golden rule stick to the overhall thing: i think about the pose of the character at first, then i think about what he should look like,and then i go to details.
2_First i would say that you need to have some anatomy knowledge, then some knowledge about what have been done for the last 20 years in character design.. no need to remake things from the past, you need to go further...

3_ ahah thx.. i dunno about Ubi taking on the opportunity, one day ill manage to get there i hope
4_ send me your model by email, i'll take more time to help you out ;)

Poisen:
well, you really need to create a good portfolio, that's the key..
like for the other ask for helps, id rather like you send me an email, iwill take more time talk about it, the forum is not really the good place for it sorry

heya paperclip ;)

onlooker:
it would be my pleisure, sned me an email so i can give you my personnal adress ;)

Heber:
all my character are modelled, rigged, then put in pose...
except the mermaid, i textured her after putting her in pose, lazy me :P

thx loocas, cheers!

jmBoekestein
05-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Thx Pascal!!!:thumbsup:

Insightful stuff! Haven't even tried to go from an overall sketch to an image yet. I still have so much to do:eek:.
I will be studying characters for sure!!! Hope to do nothing else actually, lol.:bounce:
I see I still have a long 2d road to walk! But I got started allready, luckily.:D

Thanks a bunch for taking the time for my model. It means a lot to me!:thumbsup:

will be lurking:)...

Jan-Mark.

Hordak
05-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Hi mr Blanché... I am relativly new in the cg art world and must admit I never heard of u before this day:blush: ... but from what I see on the small pictures u are very skilled and I would very much like to see more of your work... is there a website with your art(I strongly believe so!) could u or any other reading this plz give a guy a link? thx
keep it up M8!:buttrock:

cgtalkmember
05-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Hi Pascal im a fan i must admit, i saw the movie kaena, and omg i couldnt believe you had something to do with this movie, i mean the models looked like my 3yr old son made them, this does not fit you at all Pascal.

Im pretty sure that you were limited on what to do and you just did your job, keep up the good work.

retsbabe
05-10-2005, 03:46 AM
Pascal, I just want to start off by telling you that your artwork is just amazing and I only hope that I can be half as good as you are one day.

My question is this, do you ever work with other types of mediums besides digital art and sketching and 3d animation? I mean like photograpy or clay modeling and that sort of thing?

BernardoDelgado
05-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Hi Pascal I just take the chance to congratulate you for your great pieces of art. Certanly those inspirated me to enter to this 3d maniac world haha:thumbsup: , and, how old where you when u thought "hey is it possible that I can make 3d stuff??" when u started to enter the 3d, where??, have u moved to continue with your 3d career??, greetings :buttrock:

pascal_blanche
05-10-2005, 04:15 AM
thx guys! lets continue ;)

Hordak:
welcome to the club! here's my website: www.3dluvr.com/pascalb (http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb)

CgTalk member:
actually, on Kaena, i was only in charge of animation.. just one among many talented animators, it was really hard to catch up...

retsbabe:
i wish i had more time for sculpts, and come back to traditionnal painting ( i used to work with acrylic and aquarel painting) but for now i stick to what i fin myself the more comfortable with: digital ;)

Bernardo D:
i started 3D at the age of 18, on an amiga500 at this time the firsts 3D package "friendly user" had just arrived on the marquet... caligary, real 3D... i wish i had some picts to show you... ill check it out ;)
There was no 3D school yet, so i learned all by myself with other students at the artschoool where i studied in south of france.
then yes i had to move to Paris, where most of the companies are..

maninflash
05-10-2005, 04:15 AM
Dear Pascal,

First, thanks for taking the time and doing this, it's an encouragment for us students.
I have a few questions about animation,

1. When doing a walk cycle for a character, what is the most important thing you try to achive? Of course the mechanics of a walk should be worked out first but beyond that, how do you communicate the attitude of the character through a walk cycle?

2. about weight, after developing a character who might be a big guy who weights a ton, do you keep his weight consistent throughout the animation? for instance if in one scene he is super-happy and in another he is really sad, should that emotional state affect his weight?

3. How do you go about creating facial animation for a character? do you have a clear idea of what the character is going to do (for example with his brow, upper lids, etc.) or do you start layering the body first and then add what feels right to the face?

4. And lastly, who's your all-time favorite animated character?

thanks again,

-Michael Lee

BernardoDelgado
05-10-2005, 04:22 AM
thx guys! lets continue ;)
Bernardo D:
i started 3D at the age of 18, on an amiga500 at this time the firsts 3D package "friendly user" had just arrived on the marquet... caligary, real 3D... i wish i had some picts to show you... ill check it out ;)
There was no 3D school yet, so i learned all by myself with other students at the artschoool where i studied in south of france.
then yes i had to move to Paris, where most of the companies are..

would be great :scream:, if u find some dont forget to post them, or mail them haha my email is bernardo.delgado@gmail.com , keep the good work man

dinodog-jr
05-10-2005, 04:22 AM
Pascal..One of my inspired 3D artist!. I like the recent wif small green creatures attacking the Gal. Dynamic Masterpiece!! ..Especially, the Steel Man wif Huge arms! UNBEATABLE Impressivism!

I luv every pieces of 3D art u got in the website(Yesterday, i was browsed the EXPOSE 3. To be Frank, I browsed to yours site again yesterday.)
As we all know being a True & serious 3D artist is gonna spent more time & stamina than a 2D artist( in my sense, it is...cuz my Slow & Lame PC processor will be the main obstacle)

Here are some questions if u won't mind:
How is ur daily life mixed up wif ur working schedule? How many hours u spent to work on personal artwork?

Currently, What is the average hours that u spent for one piece of 3D art normally? How much times u had spent to complete ur FIRST satisfy 3D image or character design?

I always try to model 3D character.. Ur website 3D artwork had been my only motivation to push me into 3D character design. SOmehow, i got the pro to be pushing up!..haaa..

tq~

cha0t1c1
05-10-2005, 04:23 AM
hey Pascal:

My first look on a cg piece in 3d stills was your Gladiator :bow: :buttrock:
Caongrts and more in the future....

pascal_blanche
05-10-2005, 04:44 AM
dinodog_Jr:
1_Actually i am right now working on some freelance stuff (cant tell more.. because of NDAs)
well i have a rule when it comes to personnal work: no more than two days a week, never before 10pm never after 2am
So basically i have an average of 24 hours a month. I could do more , but it would be time i take over my family and free time to get out, play games, watch movies...
2_ good question... it took me years to be satisfied.. really! i am still using the same male/female bodies i created six years ago, and i am still perfecting them. now i have moe variety in anatomy, bulk guys, thin guys, same for the girls.. and still, when i see stahlberg or Taron'swork. argg. i still need to learn...

thx cha0t1c1

@ Bernardo D: finally found some almost early works:

1995: http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/oldies/SPEED.M1V
an animation test i made inspired by a manga (battle angel) i modelled all the stuff, light an all on 3ds4 (last version of 3d studio series for dos)
1996: http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/oldies/MONSTER.M1V
an animation/modelling test based on a specific design for haikus studios... i got the job..
1997: http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/oldies/CROOM.M1V
got the third place for this animation at a challenge in france.. done on 3ds4, rendered on 3dsmax1.2, people thought it was done with professionnal material.. lol...

maninflash , sorry didnt see your post:
1_ would be pacing and rythme first... remember the old little bouncing ball ...
then well, of course for more accurate rythme you need to ask yourself about the motivations of the character... walking happy, affraid to be heard...
2. you know im not that good for animations.. i know the rules and try to use them, so i am affraid to drive you in a wrong direction by telling you specific advices.. actually i think that,weight should be always present in your animation but depending on the mood of the charater his muscles should cary the weight more or less..
3. i always go with your second choice when it coms to my personnal illustrations
4. ahah OOooo tough one... i really like Akira the movie, just love the way they pushed the animation.

woadiestyol
05-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Hey Pascal!

As everyone has said, your work is really amazing and inspiring, and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to answer all these questions!

My question relates to your personal style of your designs, models and compositions: You have such an incredibly unique visual style, and this style is more or less consistent throughout your works so that the images you create are instantly recognizable as "Pascals." Is this a conscious effort on your part to put this in your work, or does it just "happen" as a result of the way you work? This might be a dumb question because everyone has some sort of style, but yours is so unique and illustratively impressionistic for a 3D artist that I have to know :)

Thanks again so much for taking the time to do this!

yeoj3d
05-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Hey Pascal,

What did you do on the movie Kaena? I saw it in the theater here in Los Angeles when it came out. I'm assuming you probably modeled and textured some of the main alien creatures, like the flying worms. Great style that u have. What current projects are u working on at Ubisoft?

JakeJK
05-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi Pascal,

I'm very glad to see you in "Meet the artists". I wished that you would come, when cgtalk asked which artists we want to meet. :)

First off, I will just congratulate you with your titel as Expose grand master! It is well deserved!

Your artwork has inspired me alot! Since I have been a small kid i have always loved to draw characters. And seeing your characters has only pushed it further!

I am just curious if you ever had considered writing a tutorial about character design?
I think it would help tons of people. Including me of course! :)

And for last, thanks for being here and answer all of our questions! It's awesome!

Best Regards, Jakob Kousholt

ffourier
05-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Salut pascal,
tout d'abord je voudrais te féliciter pour ton travail que je trouve vraiment remarquable. Pour tout t'avouer je t'ai découvert sur le mag studio multimédia (un hors série) ou tu faisais la couverture avec ton pirate. Depuis je suis un peu ton évolution et toute ton oeuvre est vraiment remarquable. Voilà pour les compliments je vais marréter la :)

sinon maintenant je souhaiterais avoir quelques conseils, car je suis actuellement une formation dans le domaine de l'image de synthèse (à l'ESRA bretagne peut etre connais tu...). Mon problème pour le moment c'est que mon nivo en dessin est assez faible, et d'un point de vue général sur le plan artistique (peinture...). en revanche il est vrai que j'ai un relativement bon nivo texhnique et qui jusqu'à présent (je suis en 1ère année) s'est avéré suffisant. Mais je c très bien que dans les années a venir ce manque de nivo en dessin va surement etre un frein important à la création dimages de qualité. Je voudrais donc avoir ton avis un peu sur la question. Et que me conseillerais-tu pour améliorer mon dessin par moi meme ?
on me dit souvent de ne pas reprendre des dessins de bd pr ne pas copier le style d'un dessinateur. Mais moi personnellement je pense qu'au départ on est obligé de recopier, tous les artistes passent par le recopiage avant de saffirmer dans un style. Sans doute as tu des conseils aussi de ce coté là.

voila j'espère ne pas avoir été tro long et encore un grand bravo pascal pour toutes tes oeuvres !
bonne continuation.

biocandy
05-10-2005, 09:17 AM
P a s c a l s w e b s i t e (http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/index2.htm)

monsitj
05-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi pascal! glad to have a chance to talk to you , your work are amazing and inspire a lot of artist here , i see you constantly made 3d illustration , and it come out greater every piece, my question is
1. what do think about the future of game industry compare to film industry( visual effect)? because now I hear from my friend that many game company in japan is close , so no work from them, and it will be good to hear your opinion .
2. your job is art director at Ubi soft ! what your everyday job? low poly model , highpoly. or concept design?
3. Can i send you my image to your email for critiques?
many thanks !!
sorry , my english is not good ,

dork vodar
05-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Hello Pascal,

Very nice CG creations, I like your style very much. What do you think about Doug Chiang's project ROBOTA? it's an art book, but also a 'maybe' feature film??
I mean, I like this kind of art book with a background story. Can you imagine creating such art using this kind of mix-media?

merci
Wilfrid

igorsandman
05-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Hello Pascal,

Firts of all, congrats for beeing grand master! You deserve it, really. I'm so glad CGTalk decided to ask you for this Q&A session since you're one of my favourite artists. Thanks for your time and patience.

Here are my questions and I'll probably forget some and ask them later (if you don't mind):
1) Is your Chthulu project still on track? Can you tell us a bit more about it?
2) Technical question: Do you think your style as it is now (mix of 3d and 2d painting) fits animation? I mean in a profesionnal situation, do you think it's possible to animate your style bearing in mind (imginary) production constraints?
3) Would you be interrested in working on a live action film as art director? Do you like live action films? (I guess the answer is yes:))
4) Sorry I have the same signature as yours. C'est un pur hasard :p It's just that line is one of the best I've heard in films.

There it is for now. Thanks for your time.
A bientôt.
-IS-

olijosman
05-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Congratulations, Pascal
you have a great gallery of brilliant works...very suggestive indeed
merci beaucoup:thumbsup:

StephanD
05-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Salut Pascal,

Congratulations on the title,you truly are a Master of your art.

My questions are:

Who are your influences and why?

(yeah,I like ask that question :) )

Thank you for your time.

ilusiondigital
05-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Pascal, you are a great of the 3d, i love your style, no too words only can i say thank you for sharing your art, you, meats, rolhion and marcel are the best inspiration for me.

It´s a pleasure can make this little tribute for a giant like you.

Greetings Master

PS: The question is: What is your next project?

Carlocki
05-10-2005, 12:56 PM
it the picture of pascl we can see that....He has a TFT monitor!!
that's great

HellBoy
05-10-2005, 01:30 PM
hi pascal

I love when people choose to interview game developers or people who worked in Game Developers, so I gotta ask some questions related to this field

I am a student, many people disagree on degrees in Games, especially in the art section, I found a uni that teachs Game art, from 2D work to 3D to Animation, I am 80% interested in this uni, so heres my question, do you think its worth taking a degree if you want to break in, or does Ubisoft employ people with degrees or self tough, at the end of the day, its your portfoilio that matters, right, so whats your opinion on this matter?
Have you ever worked in one of the Tom Clancy Rainbow six series? if not do you like them
whats the most important thing that young coming up developers should be aware of
I am really looking farward for this answer: The first time in Game industry, for you, how was it like in the first 2 months, did you feel happy, excited?
How fast can you sketch a character? 2D?
finally, what do you feel of EA taking over Ubisoft, (ubisoft were the company that EA took over, right :shrug:
Thank you very much, your work is great and you must be proud of yourself

cheers:thumbsup:

pschaffi
05-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi Pascal..

you have really admiring work.. something a lot of CG - Artist (including me) would like to archieve..

here my question:
is it true that the trend is going to hire Freelancers than permanent employees for various game and film projects ?

cheers,
Peter

neofg
05-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Have a good day Pascal.

Must I say that I like your works? :applause:
I have a specific question 4 u! I look at your renders, And I seen that u make landscapes very real. I have problems, in fact, particularly where the horizon find the sky...
How do u work with landscapes?

Good art man, and thanks for your attention to us!

http://pascal.youladesign.com/albums/userpics/10001/snailmaster%7E0.jpg

glassefx
05-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Easy one for you Pascal...

Maybe this has been mentioned within this thread but I'm lazy...

Anyway, I LOVE how you saturate your works in yellows and greens!

Keep it up!

StephanD
05-10-2005, 02:45 PM
If I might add one slightly ludicrous idea ;)

Have you guys ever thought of making a Goldorak game?Risky but it could be a big hit in Europe and Québec,especially that the DvD's are coming out soon.

pascal_blanche
05-10-2005, 04:10 PM
oh my.. did i sleep that much?.. already a new page of questions? ahaha..
ok so first question:

woadiestyol: Well i would go for an half and half answer.. sometimes it happens, sometimes i do it on purpose. But more precisely i think that my style is a reflexion of my personnal tastes.

joey3D:
i was first animator, and lead animator at the end of production. We where 30 animators working on the movie here at montreal, 5 leads, and on director of animation. (Phillip Giles,a great guy, i learned a lot with him)
Actually i am still working as Art director, but the project is undercover, can t tell much more about it

iceblaster:
well actually i am working on the next D'artiste modelling with Stahlberg and Cortina (mr final fantasy the movie) But ill maybe make a gnomon dvd about the subject in a next future...

destroyfred:
Sorry ill have to answer to this one in english
well, it is really important to have a minimum of classic bases.. It`s easy in france to find drawing courses.. i did lots of nude drawing at my beginnings.. Repicating other drawings is a good execice too.. no worries about copying someones style, its about learning first.

monsitj:
1. Well, i think that gaming industry has a good future, but working in this field will become more and more difficult im affraid.. First off, companies tend to become huge , they merge or disappear. For us employees, it is more becoming a tough job too. production are getting bigger and bigger, deadlines are tight... but hell.. that's still a really cool work
2. most of the time it is.. meetings! lol.. There are two main works when you are art director. preproduction, where you decide with other leads (gamedesigners and programmers) about what everything in the game will look like, and then there is the production,where you help the team to keep good quality and overhall look of the game. An art director is more or less like a director of photography in movie industry. There is times where you do things by yourself, but most of the time you elegate, and supervise.
3. of course!

igor sandman:
1_ well it`s still on track .. in my mind for now ill jump on it again when i have time!
2_ most of the 2D touch up i use are not really far form after effects filters.. So he answer is yes, i could find a way to have the same kind of mood in animation that's one of the motivations i have when doing my illustrations. some day ill find myself confident enough to go back to animation, with a visual close to my still work..
3_ i like live action ys, bu my heart belongs to animation, or puppetry.. or stop motion.. there is so much things you can do, live action is still ``limited`` in a way.. look a Dark crystal for example
4_ totally agree with you, it always give me chills..

merci a toi olijosman

StephanD:
well.. My biggest influence are illustrators form the 60's to 80's. Frazetta, Bisley, Arthur Suydam, Moebius, Corben, Brom (could create huge listing here)
my last biggest influence is Katsuya Terada....
I like artists that have a will for creating new worlds.

thx ilusiondigital.. my next project would be to create a cg comic book and try to start my lovecraft novel, and try some new illstrations i have in mind and... :P

MWarsame:
1_ first you have to ask yourself what you like to do the most.. Actually you are up to work 9 hours a day for years on it, so youd better get ready if it`s 2D that you like the most, but dont have enough expertise in it, then you know what you will avec to practise more...
it`s godd to have a general understanding of creation process, 2D,3Danimatio,FX, but at the end put in front of your portfolio what you like.
2_no i didnt.. i just made one braistorming with other creatives form ubi montreal once, to talk about specific character design that's all
3_ahah i almost slept half of the two months at work yes i was pretty exited!
4_ when i sketch for myself (very rough sketch) it takes me around 10 minutes
5_ Well, doesnt change a thing for us right now, we'll see in the future, but i am not supposed to talk about that kind of matter on public forums you know.. it's a business thing

pschaffi:
i think it really depends on the country where the company is. For instance, here in canada, Ubisoft is about to create the biggest video game studio in the world. Employees are full time job, and there is really rare freelancers.
In France it's the opposite: companies tend to hire freelancers first, or short time employees...

neofg:
ahah what you see behind the snailmaster is a really nice montage of multiple shots from...Mars..
(pathfinder mission if i remember correctly) No wonder you find it realistic ehehe..

thx glassefx

Stephan D: lol.. I keep pushing my coworkers and friends with that idea from time to time.. hey guys imagine a movie with a huge and rusty cg goldorack (Grandizer)
And they go like ...yeah yeah whatever pascal .. lol..

ilusiondigital
05-10-2005, 04:20 PM
I forget one thing my friend: I´m working in my new web (a 3d community) can I put some of your images in the VIP Gallery??

Thanks a lot

HellBoy
05-10-2005, 04:40 PM
thanks for answering my questions pascal, I know EA stuff and Ubisoft, business stuff, sorry :shrug:

you know, I would predict that in my first 2 months in a company, I would feel kinda shy thinking to myself "do they like me" lol :) but excited and would've putted 110% effort

Ubisoft is one of my favourite companies that I would love to work for, my favourite part would be modelling and texture work, so I know which areas to put the pressure on

once again thanks man, could you tell me one final answer of this question:

could you describe how its like in the studio when the deadline is 2-3 months away
thanks

BernardoDelgado
05-10-2005, 04:43 PM
hey Pascal, it's really nice to see your first 3d jobs, thanks for taking some time to answer here :applause:

pukvete
05-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Pascal! Fix your homepage! wanna see your art!

paperclip
05-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Pascal,

Decided to add to your torment by asking you yet another question-- when you see younger artists' work, what are their most common mistakes (in all levels, not just beginners) and how would you suggest they rectify them?

Merci a toi..
theresa.

Gemini82
05-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey, Pascal love your work.

Have you ever ventured into the realm of 2d animation, or thought about it?

What are your thoughts on the state of 2d animation on the web?

P.S. if ypu have the time check out http://www.ninjai.com i think its the first to really push what can be done with flash animation on the web.

neofg
05-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Ah... Is it true? Well!
Only a real 2d background!
Mars Damn!
Hei...but...but...u fly over the question...
:rolleyes:
How make 3d landscape.... Do u know how?
I'm in trouble...
:sad:
http://pascal.youladesign.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_recon%7E0.jpg

(Is it real too???) :)

urgaffel
05-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Haha, I remember when I saw that skating animation... You were one of those who inspired me back then, and you still do :) Great to see you're still going from strength to strength. Keep up the awesomeness and don't let my avatar scare you, I'm a nice guy, really!

ffourier
05-10-2005, 05:28 PM
thanks for your reply pascal.

dmonk
05-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Hi Pascal!

I must be honest and say you were one of the first cgartist back when I joined cgtalk that made me want to go and pursue character modeling. I remember following every post of your entry in the first ever cgchallenge. Your works over the years have always been a huge inspiration to me personally and left me know that I have years of hard work ahead of me.

Question:

1: How important do you think it is for a cg artist do develope a presence on the internet? Are studios really watching?

I have seen people go from virtually unknowns to forum/CG celebrities with one good piece of work.

2: Does the extra attention you get push you do better and better work or does it make you hesitant because people will always expect better and better?

3: Have you noticed any artists over the years start to give some of the big names (like yourself) a run for there money?

4: I'm also a huge comic fan and I always use ideas from comic for poses, mood, and attitudes of characters. That said, I always use a bit of the personality traits of my favorite comics in characters I do. Do you find that there are certain traits that always show up in your models (Brom?)?

pascal_blanche
05-10-2005, 06:42 PM
ilusiondigital:
i will for sure, send me the adress ;)

MWarsame:
DO you remember those old movies where a big monster attacks the city and people start running everywhere screaming? That's pretty close to what a close deadline looks like.. ahahah
Ok more seriously, when the deadline is coming closer, the production becomes more and more efficient. Technical issues that lasted too long are erased or avoided (like in movie industry the goal of a game is always a little higher than the result, and there is always certains issues that are easyly removable ), people concentrate more on getting the thing done, less on details, and the whole pipeline is used at 120%, wich mean communication is at its top, and, strangely, you feel less stressed. It doesnt mean that you have time to sleep or stime to see if it is snowing or raining outside, i remember crunch times on Myst Revelation where i did not know about the outside world for days.. it could have rain elephants that i wouldnt have noticed it!

pukvete: ?? it's working! you cant access to it?

paperclip: they tend to do and redo the same kind of designs, without knowing what as been done in this field for the lasts ten years. They tend to forget about creating a backstory that would help then grouding their designs, forget about accessories... tend to detail too much everywhere, they tend to imitate style instead of being inspired by it... that's the general ``mistakes`` i noticed in beginners work.

thx Gemini82:
that's for sure something id like to explore.. i wich i had more time ;)
2D animation on the web (flash) will continue to devellop, series like the clone wars could easyly build in flash, in something close to the original.It's good to have those technical restrictions such as bandwith and streaming because people tend to find new solutions to continue to tell a story... Somehow, Flash helped a lot 2D animation.. i think..

neofg: ahah sorry if you felt this way, but really, i rather like build my landscapes using 2D references ( the example you sohw is another photomontage, sorry ;) )
than going full 3D, because you have less control on lots of things with 3D landscapes. Even if i had to create a 3D landscape for a cinematic, i would go with plates and facke backgrounds.

urgaffel:
no way.. you knew about thoses animations?

destroyfred:
de rien ;)

dmonk:
1:well, you never underestimate the bright side of exposure. Studios ARE watching forums, especially big forums like cgtalk. So yes for the artist who plan to stand out a bit and have a chance to be hired for his own creativity, you have to submt your work everywhere you can. Actually that's what i did six years ago when i planned to go to Montreal. Remember that being exposed is good, but you can t make people like your work. That s the second good side of exposure, it gives you a good idea of what people like or not about your work.

2: I am the kind that gets refueled by people expectations.. Doesnt mean that i always succed, but it clearly gives you a clear idea of what people expect to see from you, so i my case it always push me to go on specific details and finitions i would have not done overwise (hu ho.. i hope i am clear enough)

3: There is plenty of new a talented artists every year, but most of them never really try to keep some consistancy in their work other the years.. i feel like a bit alone here :P

4: Brom for sure, he had a huge impact on my work. Some manga artists like Shirow, Otomo and Terada too when it comes to girls, and moebius for my constant will of trying something fresh...

urgaffel
05-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Hell yes, I've been stalking you for the last 10 years ;) Seriously though, I've been using 3ds since -92 so I've seen your early stuff, for example back when I was looking at max3d (when it was just max3d) for news and 3dluvr for inspiration and what not. So yeah, you've been a part of my cg-life for quite a while now and I'm really glad you're still inspiring me and a lot of other people :)

Hmm... That sounds a little creepy, but I mean it in the best possible way!

pascal_blanche
05-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Hmm... That sounds a little creepy, but I mean it in the best possible way!

even creepier when i look at ... your... err... face ;)
ahha i had to place it ..

Dork vodar:
.. oooops.. sorry, just reviewed the whole thread, i forgot your post!
i really like the project...
The answer is YES definitivly!! it would be my dream come true!
(one of them)
i just .. only.. need.... money!

pukvete
05-10-2005, 07:22 PM
oh. yes it works. I clicked on your name and your homepage there and I came to http://pascal.youladesign.com/ which has only one (but beatiful) image.. now I found your site http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/index2.htm :)

nocric
05-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi Pascal, you are one of my idols in CG anlong with Craig Mullins. I simply love every your work, except one girl in one picture, but that is not the subjet.

Question1 (related to your saying, that you started in the comics):
I would really like to know, if you want to get hired somewhere (studio or whatever some place like that) - is previous art education important or is your profile got to be the one thing to rely on?

Question2:
I guess, that you have studied art somewhere, but where? I would like to know that. (just for facts)

Question3:
The one thing about your 3D works has always kept me wondered - what type of modeling do you prefer or you somehow mix them or do you maby use different types of modeling in different objects

You will inspire me for ages to come, keep it up - being one of the best CG artists around and inspiring me and other students like me.

urgaffel
05-10-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm sorry, I just can't decide if I want to change or not... At least this one is easy to remember :)

Anyways, keep on rocking, it's good to see that one of the first artists I saw can still inspire me now that I'm thirteen years older (holy crap!) and thousands of years more cynical :)

HellBoy
05-10-2005, 07:43 PM
thanks pascal

I feel guilty posting so many questions :buttrock: but thanks, I have clear vision on how its like in the deadlines, I'll post questions later if I need to ask :twisted: beware...MUHAHAHAHAAA

:thumbsup:

pascal_blanche
05-10-2005, 07:45 PM
oh. yes it works. I clicked on your name and your homepage there and I came to http://pascal.youladesign.com/ which has only one (but beatiful) image.. now I found your site http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/index2.htm :)
it's my old site! you should try here: http://pascal.youladesign.com/index.php?cat=2

nocric:
1_art education is good thing to have if you want a wide visual experience. You wont try that much different kind of medias if you are only by your own. So before trying to get a good profile, try to enlarge your visual art expertise, it will always help you for the future. Then know what you'd like to do for a living (job) Again that's something that art education can help you with.. You know what? I seriously doupted about all that stuff myself when i started artschool... but believe me, it's worth the patience ;)
2_ I studied first nude drawing at night sessions when i was in highschool, from year 1987 to year 1989 , then i went to the artschool of Marseille, Luminy (south of france) and i studied there for five years. I got my degree in visual communication arts (photography, digital and video)
3_ my most common technic is boxmodelling, but when it comes to mechanical parts, it tend to work slowly, elements by elements, using extrude splines for example..

Oscarini
05-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Actually wanted to say hi after such a long time! And wanna say big thanx for all Your support in far year 2000 - when U helped me out with guidance in 3D thru Inet - that helped me to complete the test myself and get the job @ Gamestudio (earlier called Sybersoft) in junior 3D artist position - afterwards it leaded me for 5 nice years of work in some more videostudios as well! As for now I'm manager of erotic wear and don't do 3D for some time - but as some cool guy told me - it's never to late to do the art! So BIG THNX once again and keep up your extremely good work! Cheers pal! :thumbsup: :buttrock: -Ozzy-

ThePatches
05-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Mr Blanché, you are one of my inspirations to attend graphi design school to become a better illustrator and i totally agree with you when you say that CG artists need to broaden their horizons and art school is n excellent way to acheive this.

okay on to my question

Do you have any advice for beginners who feel they have what it takes to eventually "run with the big dogs" but don't want to slip through the cracks?

dork vodar
05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanx a lot for rescuing my post... here is a new one :)
Reviewing your creations, I can say that I love your art cause I can feel 'something' in each of your images. NEWBREED is one of my favorite. it is simple but a great piece of art for me (mon fond d'écran pendant un moment :)). this kind of illustration makes me dream. your last work THE NEST is also one of my favorite.

In fact, I'm a 'classic' artist and I've just switched to CG... hum... hard for me. Huentes, McCaig, Aaron Smith, Stahlberg, and you, are the CG artists that inspiring me the most. Indeed, I'm a great fan of 'classic' designers, painters or artists such as : Doug Chiang, Keith Parkison, Brom, Ralph MacQuarrie, Angus McBride, Paolo Parente, Paul Bonner... and many others....
I've just purchased QUANTUM DREAMS of Stephan Martinière cause this artist is also inspiring me a lot. I can't say when I will finish my first CG image but I will work hard for it!

I like lovecraft too. I'm played Call of Cthulhu the 'paper' RPG a lot!!!
J'espère que tes projets se réaliserons...

pascal_blanche
05-10-2005, 11:56 PM
thx for the kind comments De'Vill

ThePatches:
if you think that you have what it takes, you should not be affraid of sliping through the cracks!
Eventually you may have some disapointments, but when you get a negative response, try ask (gently) why, so you'll learn form that experience. The more you'll wait, the more you will have great expectations, the less you will learn.. So my advice would be go for it, dont be affraid to fail, and if you do fail, learn from it and continue to go forward. I learned that a long time ago, i france we say: ``si tu te prend une porte dans la figure, passe par la fenetre``
meaning: if someone close the door on you, use the window
.. something close..

merci dork vodar :)

eks
05-11-2005, 05:48 AM
hello pascal!

i know these are very generic questions so don´t bother if your answer is also (generic or short :)). what are your thoughts on keyframing and mocap? what you guys use most at ubisoft? have you worked with both techniques? if yes, what are your thoughts on the subject? do you think one is more "artistically" than other?

i´ll be doing a short thesis on the subject and would love to hear your opinion!

thanks a lot!!

eks

neofg
05-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Ok, thanks Pascal...
Go on with your art! :thumbsup:

May the force be with you...

neofg
05-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Thank you man!
Go on with your art! :thumbsup:

May the force be with you...

That's an error...Sorry to all...

jj80
05-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Pascal,

First of all I'd like to join the long line of posters congratulating you to your great work!
Secondly, my question:

Are you using blendshapes, bones and influence objects for your character deformations or are you using any sort of muscle simulation? Some of your characters seem very bulky and I assume it can get very hard to get the deformations right, especially in extreme poses?!

Keep up the good work!

cheers,

Jens

dork vodar
05-11-2005, 10:36 AM
KAENA was a challenge (a struggle). given that one part of the team came from the video game industry, was it a problem to create high rez assets rather than lowP meshes?
thanx

takshaka
05-11-2005, 11:09 AM
pascal, to echo others i would like to say again what a fantastic artist i think you are and how i have very much enjoyed your images.

my question is this, you are a successful artist in the video games industry and in the freelance world (as far as i know), do you think it is possable for an individual to generate a living purely creating their own art, such as many traditional artists do in selling their painting, scupltures etc. do you believe you could you generate an income from things such as cg prints, cgkits on turbosquid etc or perhaps creating a short and selling it to a broadcaster and if so what other avenues of income are there for individual digital artists.

Also for artists such as yourself that have a renound name in the industry i would imagne getting freelance work fairly accessable, do you have any advice for how people with no statre or reputation could go about forging themselves as a successful freelance artist.

Thanks so much for your time and keep up all the excellent work..
kane..

ninjadodo
05-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi, I just thought I'd say I absolutely love your work.

As an art director in the games industry, do you ever find yourself developing visual ideas that have a direct impact on gameplay, like giving the player feedback in some way.... or is that left up to the designers?

I also have a question about a game that as far as I know you didn't work on but maybe you can answer it anyway... Do you know why they changed the style of Prince of Persia from a charming fairytale to gritty gothic rock? ... cause I really liked the old style in Sands of Time. D'you think they'll ever return to it?

igorsandman
05-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Hello Pascal,
I thought of another question. A very simple (futile?) one actualy.

Is the title of your pictures important to you? Do you like when the moment comes to find a name? Do you think of it for a long time, or is it intuitive? Do you know the name since the early concept sketch?

Thanks a lot.
-IS-

arizaga
05-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi Pascal my name is Luis, I'm also a big fan of your work I'm always revisiting your site to find a new illustration.

Who was your big influence on 3D, the persons which works helped you to learn model, texture and rig your characters, anybody at your work influenced or helped you with 3dsmax and how it was?

Always thanks for your time.

Yours,

Luis Arizaga Rico

fabriciomicheli
05-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Hey Pascal!!! Congratulations!!!
You're one my favourites... cause you are "the guy" for 3DSMAX users...!!! :buttrock:
I follow your work since 2001, and I think you really deserve this distinction.
Congrats again!!!
and keep it up... cause you are really a Grand Master!!!

Best Regards.
Fabricio :thumbsup:

Mahtan
05-11-2005, 06:37 PM
hi Pascal

how would you consider yourself primarily:
Illustrator?
modeler?
animator?

pascal_blanche
05-11-2005, 07:45 PM
eks:
dont be afraid of asking generic questions that's the purpose of this thresad isnt it? (asking questions)
so...
here at Ubisoft we use both...mocap is a great tool to get particular subtilities in the body language, jey frame is grat, well.. for anything we need to push the animation further. Dempending on the products, the animation team will balance more to mocap animation or more keyframe animation.
Using the both technics is like having the best of the two worlds.. look at Weta's Golum...
Mocap is more technical in a way, but not that less creative than keyframe.. it`s not because the whole anim is there that there is no more work to do!

jj80:
I use the basic character studio package with physique mesh deformer(max).
then when i have a character in pose i want, most of the time i create a snapshot of the mesh and then i start over twicking what went wrong.

You are right with bulky characters, looks like you ve been there before ehehe..
They are really hard to setup, especially around legs and arms connections. I did push the assignation a little further once, but it takes a hell of time to adjust, and i rather like being a little more lazy and use the technic i expained above ;)

dork vodar:
well, actually the team was pretty strong in high_res modelling.True, they where from video game industry, but the ``rather`` old school industry, when we where still using sprites and fully detailled models for game in the same vein as Diablo2, command ad conquer.. warcraft.. we where all cinematic artists.

kane:
The point is.. im still working on it!
Actually i don t have enough contacts or long term opportunities to be able to live on freelance work. you have to think twice if you want to do this kind of work. there is lots of risks to find yourself without anything to do from time to time, so you better be prepared..
You guessed right about me putting my work on cgshops, prints and all, as you see, i am trying to get to the point where i can have a minimum income beside the contracts, but it doesnt pay that much. oh well, i am a very patient guy, i think thoses things takes time ;)
If i would have some advice to give, it would be to make sure that your work i in a field that can generate enough income. 2D artists can create nice portfolios to get covers and cards contract for example.. Those industry (card gaming and books) are constantly in need for artists, and they tend to keep their freelance artists for a long time.

Ninja Dodo:
1_ i would sat that it is half and half.. I need a good game concept to feed the visuals, and after a few meetings, it happens that some visuals inspires the game concept.
2_ ahah.. well, the choice to create a darker ambiance whas mainly a marquet issue. The Sand of time didnt reach the target because it was said it was too gentle... Second one adressed that, and went bit too far maybe ;)
it looks like that the next one will be a cross between those two styles, more or less.

Igor Sandman: hey good question!
Actually, i like to think about the tittle a LOT! It`s like for a book tittle or a movie tittle you know.. Somehow it gives you a slight insight of what the story is about..
So yes basically, i always think of the tittle when my first rough is done ( could be just a pict in my mind) i like to imagine the relation between the tittle and the pict, and how they build a kind a vision of something bigger together.
For instance actually i have a new pict in mind (really rough) but still no name to put on it, and a title in mind, but no pict that really fits to it. Sometimes, yes, tittles comes first, they are the kind of key that will make my mind open the door to another illustration.
here are some tittles id like to work on: Watchdog , and the 9Th Door... pretty cool huh?

arizaga:
My biggest influences are mostly 2D
but i always have admired the work of Taron,
and i really like the style of Jonas Thornqvist.

thx a lot Fabrizzio!

mahtan:
i would go:1 illustrator
2 modeller
3 animator

arts&rats
05-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Hi i m eric from panama,
Is a pleasure to meet u, even thought is only by words. i can say now that i have talk with pascal blanche. i have been looking at your work for a long time. I always check out your page when i m feeling depressed about my work. i have been reading your interviews all over the net.
Do u have a routine of work? How many hours a day do u work mostly?
What method do u used for your renders? any plugins that u prefer?
What kind of food do u eat to imagine this kind of things?

Thanks for your time pascal

arts&rats
05-11-2005, 09:20 PM
My name is eric and it is a pleasure to talk with u. i have been looking at your world for a long time.
Your work is beautiful!:thumbsup:
i have read lots of your interviews and i constantly visit your web site to see your work.

i would like to know if u have a routine of work? how many hours a day do u work on your stuff.
what is the part that u most enjoy doing? modeling, texturing ,lightning or rendering.
what kind of food do u eat to imagine things like the mermaid and the gladiator for example?

thank you for your time:applause:

Vedic-kings
05-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Hi Pascal:)

I love your work, very inspiring!

I have a few modeling qusetions, if you don't mind.

What do you model with, NURBS, Polygon, Subdiv? Do you do box modeling, extruding faces etc, or do you extrude edges and merge the edges as you go?
Do you pose your character and later add more stuff to your character or even keep modeling the character itself?

And do you have any wires of you character on the internet that I could see, if not could you send one or two to me through my email address? If yes heres my Email.

vedic_kings_jm@hotmail.com

Also what do you render with?

Thank you very much for your time!

And keep up the awesome work!!

Regard

peace

giles.t
05-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Hello Pascal,

Congratualtions on your Grand Master title -- your work is brilliant and I especially love your colours (they are so painterly :) and the timeless quality that they evoke. Like other people here, your work has been and is an inspiration to me.

If you have the time, here are my questions:

1) What comics do you like/follow?
2) After your years of experience as a 3d artist, is there anything that you know now that you wish you had known before?

Thanks and all the best, giles

X-WARRIOR
05-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Pascal,

I've been looking at your art for quite a while now and I was always impress to how your style stands out. I'm 18years old and I'm slowly starting a career as a 3d modeller/animator. I'm currently having a small contract for models with a newly created american game company, and also being employed by a ~small vfx studio in montréal (I live in Laval/Quebec). I do have a few question about your job at ubisoft because I would maybe like to work there later on.

1- One thing is kinda stressing me about such a job. I've been wondering if working on a big team of modeller and animator would make my job more specific. By this I mean, would I, when a game production starts be "forced" to, let say, model different sets of wheel for a race game (I know it sounds stupid, but it's an exemple that show what I mean) or would I get to model the vehicle, the driver, the different pieces and also environment etc. Do say it in a simpler way, does each modeller get a specific task (comme dans une chaîne de montage) or do we still have quite some liberty and diversity in what we model?

2- From your point of view, is working on a film (like Kaena) is more fun than working on a game? Which thing do you like the most working on?

3- Been 3years I do 3d models now, and I'm studying to become a programmer, yet I truly prefer modelling over coding. Does knowing how to code truly makes a difference when it comes to work in a game industry as a modeller or animator? Or should I just stop studying coding and earn myself enough money to pay for a school like the Nad Centre?

Merci beaucoup en avance,
Un fan,
Jean-Sébastien Guillemette

PS: sorry if any of those questions were already answered, I unfortunatly don't have time to read the whole thread right now.

dragondragon
05-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Hello Pascal. This is the first time I have written you. funny things is, since I joined cgtalk a couple of months ago, I seen some of your images and always wondered who did them. And well, here you are-smile. I really dig your style (art). So much depth and refined (at least it looks that way). Love how you make your 3D work look as if it was done in 2D. Like how you beef up your dudes.Your girls are liquid like. Very, very cool. Just had to drop by and let ya know you have a new fan-smile.
Pascal, about doing a comic, my advice to you (I have been a professional comic book colorist for the last few years), do your book as a graphic novel or story book. If you do the numbers, instead of making money, you will lose money doing so, making a monthly comic book (trust me, I tried and found out the cold truth). Comics really are not making the money they use to and the only folks making money at comics are the big wigs (heck, here in the US, Diamond Distribution takes anywhere from 60% to 75% of the cash made). So believe me when I tell ya to go do a graphic novel or story book, a little more involved but you can make some nice cash if it takes off. My two cents there buddy.
Ok, will keep an eye on your stuff. Best.
Dragon, out.

My master/servant entery:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222625

the rookie
05-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Congrats Pascal!! :D!! Man I watched and studied all of your work and even for some of the other beginning CG Artist I tell them about you, I have couple of questions for you:

Since your at Ubi Soft, did you get to work on Prince of Persia? and maybe this is just old information, but are you still using 3D Max Mesh Script? I'm using Maya and I don't know of any Mesh Scripts created for Maya, but I see where it can used for a denser mesh for character mods, and I have a future prediction for you, I believe you are about to receive alot of work with the high payout that your looking for, since your already in the video game industry, the next gen consoles are changing and excepting a higher poly counts on mods with the similar characters you create, and I see you being a target artist for some of the better and upcoming projects, please keep producing beautiful work, and hopefully one day the rookie will be able to catch up with you on modeling skills, I'm still a rookie but I do actually practise sculpting and a mixture into 3D to make sure I shape needed for the design, I'm almost done with my porfolio and it has been alot of work, I've had alot of freelance work but it really doesn't cut it half the time, and being in a studio is a huge plus, my target is to land with Sony and hopefully I'll get it, I'm a self taught programmer too but I excel very well in it and I used that as a backend so I can focus on modeling and creating PC Games, well keep up the good work and congrats again, there's some much that can be done and CG and I think as we get a better hold on it we'll be able to create more, I know this for a fact, I lucked up on some new techniques not used and that's always a happy thing!! :D!!

ninjadodo
05-12-2005, 01:21 AM
2_ ahah.. well, the choice to create a darker ambiance whas mainly a marquet issue. The Sand of time didnt reach the target because it was said it was too gentle... Second one adressed that, and went bit too far maybe ;)
it looks like that the next one will be a cross between those two styles, more or less.
Isn't it true though that Sands of Time sold well eventually, just not initially cause of the stupid rule that every single game in existence has to be released around christmas and only two or three will do well? Man, I wish marketing would leave creative people alone. Sands of Time was a masterpiece.

Mahtan
05-12-2005, 05:20 AM
I really admire your 3d modeling work

having to learn 3d by your own,
what are some of the things that you as a beginner had to improve on?
how did you improved on those things?

and is there any other advice you might give a beginner, concerning quality, motivation, inspiration, or anything else you just feel like sharing with us?

beelow
05-12-2005, 06:01 AM
I am wondering if you can teach me some stuff that you do when and if you have the time. I am at the Art Institute of Las Vegas and am studying under Lee Lanier. I want to learn some stuff from another person in the Industry.

RAINpit
05-12-2005, 09:21 AM
hello there pascal (not going to use Mr Blanche as it sounds a bit weird :)

first off, as most of the others did , u'r work is great, and i admire it very much basically due to one thing: style. not many people that i can think of have a style of there own.

now onto the 3 questions: i was always curios how come u stayed with max for so long.
most people believe that its not the wisest choice for animation.
weren't u ever interested (even if out of simple curiosity) to testdrive other packages.
how do u feel about other software - using the best out of all packages or just knowing one and get to be an expert user. (i am asking this mostly now , that ubi has created its cinematics division , and one of u'r buddies, Raphael Lacoste has jumped onto xsi - even though he did use the old soft 3d before :) - thought he might have pursuaded u into learning a bit of it (talking about it during lunchbreaks or something :)
by the way, since no one cared to answer this i wanted to ask in person: in the warrior within game, there is a trailer different than all the other trailers aired for the game and only appears in the cinematics menu of a the game. DIfferent i mean different syle. and i can smell a different style when i see one. Was that a test or a challenge between cinematic teams or was it done before/after the actual cinematic production for the game.
Its the one when the prince rides a horse in front of a huge army.
anyway, i smelled something fishy about it.
Thank you for your time
Keep up the great stuff that u do.

hadimoom
05-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi mr pascal .:love:
Sorry for my bad english.
I want know wich is it necessery for 3D work (Modeling _Animation) to have
hand-made designer... :bounce:
Good lock...:thumbsup:

deviou
05-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi Pascal!

First i must say that your work looks fantastic!:thumbsup:

I have some questions about your opinions on CG in general. I'm doing an article on CG for my school newspaper, and I think it would be nice with a proffesionals opinion in it. And of course I'm kinda curious myself.:)

The article is mainly about how to succeed in the CG industry, what it takes to be a good artist and what the studios are looking for in an artist. So my questions for you are:

What do you think are the most important qualities of a good artist?
How did you do to get a job and become sucessfull in the industry? Do you think it's important to get a degree in CG in order to get a job?
I don't know if you are involved in Ubisoft's hiring process, but im sure you know what the studios are looking for in a potentially new employee?

Thank you very much.

emilioG
05-12-2005, 07:23 PM
hey old friend. Just wanted to tell you:

Very proud of you (in a friend way)

b-a-d-a-s-s!:D

You are very deserving of all credit.

Later!

pascal_blanche
05-12-2005, 07:26 PM
arts&rats:

1_ I try work on my personnal illustrations two nights a week.
2_ it really depends, but most of the time i render the diffuse maps and speculars with the max's classic render, and i render the gi separatly, with Vray or Arnold. Arnold is pretty good for really photorealistic GI, but it is still beta, and need a longuer process for tewacking the materials (different philosophy) That`s why i use sometimes Vray instead..
3_ i drink red wine and pastis ..eheheh.. More seriously, i always look for what's new or fresh in illustration/comics field.

Vedic kings:
1_I use boxmodelling technic, always switching form editable mesh to editable poly, as there is different option i like in each of them .
i usually create, skin my character and add the props i want attached to it befor putting it in the final pose.
2_ok ill post some wires ;)

giles.t:
1) New Xmen (first serie) drawn by Frank Quitely.. just love his style!
Hellboy by M.Mignola
BLAME! by Nihei Tsutomu
Gunnm last order(alita) by Yukito Kishiro
Hunter X Hunter by Togashi Yoshihiro
2) Maybe that i should have started earlier to work on my illustrations ;)

X-WARRIOR:
1_ depends on the state of the production.. At first there is a big need for al the assets that will be put in the game. So yes, there is this boring period where you have to model wheels, chairs, doors, and make lots of them. The thing to understand is when a specific task is assigned to you, like making all the wheels in the game for instance, it's because you become for this moment the ``wheel specialist`` it helps the prod to have peopple specialized because they knoe what they are doing. Building up levels from all those assets is another kind of work, it`s the level artists work. Maybe you would be more interrested into this task, because you still need to adjust models to your level needs, create new objects that are missing, work on more specific maps, create lights... There's also graphist more specialised in marketing illustrations.. usually Ubisoft gives this task to one or two guys from the production itself, under the Art director supervising.

2_ well, every production has its good sides and bad sides, but if you like your work, you should not stress that much. I liked both of the experiences. You know, finally it always comes to you and your work in front of a computer ;) It takes time to make your way in a company you know.. the more experience you will get, the more interresting tasks you will have ...meaning that you'll have a little more room for creativity...

dragondragon: thanxs man!
that's why i like forums.. you always get some really good tips and feedbacks!
if you don't mind id like to keep in touch with you, i have lots of questions for you eheheh

the rookie:
1_ no i didnt work on POP yet.. i was art director on Myst IV: Revelation.
2_ not really using those scripts.. i just rather stick with my old good friend the editablemesh
and thx for the kind comments..

Ninja Dodo:
ill forward the kind words to raphael lacoste, the art director of sand of time

Mahtan:
1_ it would be to concentrate on the final result instead of loosing time and energy in details. In 3D you have to look at the big picture. That way you will know what is worth the pain and what is not.
2_I did improve in that way of working by astraining myself to always going to a final picture, and only showcase finalised works.
3_ I could talk hours about the way i find inspiration and motivation, but it is my own experience, it can be something different from one person to another you know.. There is no main rule when it comes to creativity.. or just maybe this one: try to lease yourself in what your are doing, do it for yourself first, but always try to think about what you want to show to those who will see your work, what you want the to react to...

beelow, drop me an email with your questions ;)

RAINpit:
1_ i did try maya a bit, and XSI too... id rather like go on xsi if i had choice, or maybe lightwave/messiah.. it`s just that it is easier for me to continue with max, i know it well now
2_ good eye! Actually, some cinematics where done here at Montreal, another one in France... because there was different art director on each cinematic, there is differences, right.. But there was nothing about challenge here...

hadi_moom:
you mean in production, right? yes we have to start with traditionnal character designers, it takes less time to show on paper a concept than in 3D.. so it`s easy to get diffrent propostions, and change things before getting to the 3D model..
did i answer your question correcty?

deviou:
1_ in the industry(videogame) an artist need to be creative enough to answer technical and artistic problems, and be patient with his teamates, as it`s not always easy to get a straight and clear answer to your questions. You have to be abble to submit ideas and solutions all the time, even if most of your ideas wont make it to the final project, and not make a big deal about it..
2_ I made it by getting in using the window ;) It's becoming more and more difficult to become succesfull in this industry because, well.. there's lots of talented people out there..
I started as illustrator for different videogame magazines, then i worked on really small productions, everything i learned about computers, i learned it by myself.. so it took time...
Then it`s all about using good oportunities you know.. and trying to always stick on getting better in the field you choosed. Forums are really a good tool to help you figuring out where you need some more work, where your strong points are..
3_ the important is not the degree, it's the experience you will acquire at school that counts, and what you will be able to showcase in your portfolio. It is possible to learn by yourself but it is really demanding,longuer, and you may not have a good general package at the end (always easier to concentrate on things you can do)
4_ Ubisoft is always looking new employees. We are actually 1200 employees here at montreal, and the studio dshoulfd grow up to 2000 employees in the next five years.. So the needs are in all the fields that covers a videogame production: animators, light artists, texture artist, level designers, character modellers, FX artists, 2D artists.... and more.

emiliog: thx buddy ;)

sculpter21
05-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Can you get my a job at Ubisoft I will mail your my portfolio :)

Alex

Vedic-kings
05-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks for your reply Pascal:)

I have and loved the Myst series, I love the puzzels and life feel to it, a game I can really enjoy without all the killing! We need more games like it. There are some intelligence and creative poeple working at UBIsoft, great stuff!

I can't wait for the wires!

danniesanchez
05-13-2005, 02:22 AM
pascal blanché, I'm a big fan of your work, i love the lighting and specifically the equipment design.

I just had an interview with Ubisoft Montreal today. I hope to work with you one day. :) :) Keep up the good work.

pascal_blanche
05-13-2005, 06:36 AM
sculpter21:
you can send me your portfolio,ill forwaerd it to the recrutment staff, but i cant hire you ;)

Vedic kings: thanks! the team did a wonderfull job!
here are some wires from my last pict:

http://pascal.youladesign.com/albums/userpics/10001/wire.jpg

http://pascal.youladesign.com/albums/userpics/10001/wire1.jpg

http://pascal.youladesign.com/albums/userpics/10001/wire3.jpg

danniesanchez:
oh you where in the studio, really? how was the interview?

dragondragon
05-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi Pascal. I have emailed you my personal email address (I think I wrote you a book-smile. Seriously, just me blabbing about the comic industry and stuff). Yes, let's speak (write). As I too have question for you (3D modeling, art, family... life). Went over to your website (book marked it of course). Awesome work. You can bet I will be there very much-smile. Ok, going to bed now. As I tell everyone, best my friend.
Dragon, out.

My Master and Servant 2D enterance:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222625

Vedic-kings
05-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Pascal, thank you so much for your wires!

Interesting......

pascal_blanche
05-13-2005, 07:39 PM
arg ...just found out that i forgot a guy on page one of the thread..

Dirty, sorry about that.. your post must have slipped through the cracks..

1_ it really depends on the subject.. Sometimes i have a clear image n mind and o dont need to sketch it out first ( like for my last pict, the nest for instance)
most of the time when i do a quick sketch , the main reason is that i want to fix the idea on paper when it`s fresh.

2_ I work mainly to get the whole visual out of the 3D package. Photoshop is used only to add some philters on the top of it, blur some area, change some colors and touch up little bugs (intersections, bad mapping coordinates)

dragondragon: got your mail thank you,lets keep in touch ;)
(ill mail you back tonight)

vedic kings:
ahah you should say. wow.. thoses meshes are such a mess..

tarun_don
05-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Always loved your work..since I started in CG. Specially the mood you set with colour lights. It stands out not because it's good 3d work because it is good art work..(IMO)...Keep it coming!! :)

Vedic-kings
05-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Pascal, hehe

Well I am curious about the wires, why are they triangulated? Is it because you work in the game industry (game style wire)? Or is it because you get better render? Or is this simply a smooth in max, I would not know as i'm a maya user.

Thanks for you time:)

pascal_blanche
05-13-2005, 08:56 PM
thx tarun_don ;)

Vedic kings:
they are supposed to be quads actually , but i made a snapshot out of a shaded/show wire frame layout, and all the edges are showing ;)

Vedic-kings
05-13-2005, 09:28 PM
I see now, thanks again:)

the rookie
05-14-2005, 03:15 AM
Thnx for the reply Pascal and the wire, man, that is pretty dope, I hate to be bother some, but this has to be a question that has to be asked, when your modeling, is it a heavy editable mesh from the top or do you work your way up, I want to model high rez but Maya doesn't have anything that I know of for a editable mesh in the similar fashion, I can sculpt in that fashion but I want to take it to CG, but Maya occasionally crashes when working high up, but I'll figure it out, if I have to create my own edit mesh script I will, but there are a few character designs I want to create, I haven't had time to really go over Max but I eventually will, thankx again for taking the time to respond, it really helps more than you know!! :D!!

Virtuoso
05-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Pascal...... I was wondering where I could see a full blown picture of the wire you posted above...... It's quite the intense and wicked looker......

.......... You've been a great inspiration to me,love the style,mood,and flare you give to you're creations.......Always so vivid and outworldly fantastic.......

........ Ok I have almost got a private set piece of millions of polys done with my brother,months and months of work.....If you like you can use it for you're characters playground.......;) :arteest:

......... Ok ......Again a salute to you and to you're art, a true inspiration to me......:arteest:

pascal_blanche
05-15-2005, 01:00 PM
virtuoso, thx, here you go:

http://pascal.youladesign.com/albums/userpics/10001/thenest%7E1.jpg

paperclip
05-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Wow Pascal, amazing textures on the background. You make your own textures, right? How do you go about selecting a texture that's 'just right' for it? Do different types of textures suit different types of subject matter?

On a side note: Who are your favorites for the master and servant? :D

alexfalchi
05-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Ciao Pascal..I am really your fun..you are very amazing master and I love all your works.
You make always very big pic I really love your style..
I have no question for you..just this:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ciao and have good days:)

Alex.

JakeJK
05-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi Pascal,

Here's just a little quick one. Truemax, which is a CG school in denmark, has tutors like Meats Meier and Steven stahlberg (and alot more). Could you ever consider teaching at such place? (it could be great, since im attending the school next year :D)

dinodog-jr
05-16-2005, 03:57 AM
Mr. Pascal,
jst wanna drop by to thank you for ur answer.
24 hours of Personal free time per month is a suffering to me!!

Due to ur amazing personal work, I need to attend a self-disipline course ...!!

Take good care of ur PC, ur health & ur Master-Mind..
Nobody can take away ur isanity concept!..

Hope to see u make in Malaysia for a valuable seminar!!

pascal_blanche
05-16-2005, 04:41 PM
paperclip: good questions!
1_yes, i do my own textures, based on different photographies of course ;)
The choice really depends on the subject and mood, in this case i wanted it to look like a realistic wall you could find on the streets, and i wanted it to be washed out too, so it doesnt take too much place in the whole composition.
Subject does matter for sure, and i think that it is one of the keys of my personnal touch too, as i tend to experiment a lot in this field..
2_ ahah ...cant tell really for now, i like to judge more final picts that work in progress, lots of things can still change.. i see lots of good works...

Iceblaster:
Why not? i really dunno how the whole thing works, can you tell me more about it?

dinodog_Jr:
thx ;)
i will may be go to siggraph this year and see lots of fellow cgtalkers for sure ;)

paperclip
05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Pascal, thanks for your answers!

Another question: Did you see how your thread in the CGS introductions forum grew?? It's past the 85th page now! You started one of the longest threads in CGTalk! (Congrats..)

pascal_blanche
05-16-2005, 06:40 PM
OMG.. 1284 posts already??? :eek:
you guys are nuts :D

ok about this Q&A.. i think it is the last day (based on the others Q&A) so if you have any question left.. now is the time ;)

paperclip
05-16-2005, 06:44 PM
We just like to talk!!:twisted: We miss you pascal...come back to us...

Ok...here's my last question... where is the 'make good art' filter? I've been looking for it...:D
On a more serious note, what would you recommend someone focus on during their studies? What should they work most on during college and what can they pick up on while working?

pascal_blanche
05-16-2005, 07:05 PM
ahah i will, promise! i was just finishing some freelance work, not that much time left to chat..
1_ in photoshop go in filters/others/'make good art' :twisted:
More seriously, i am using a lot color controls(hu values and saturations on specific ranges of colors), lighting effects to redirect the attention where i want to, and layers of different blurs mixed with slight overlays of dirt textures.
2_ There is two things to keep in mind while studying: try to get the more experience from the school, even if it is not in a field you are confindent with, it will open up your mind to new ways of creating art.
The second thing would be to work hard on generic basis that fits with their goal ...it maybe not a clear goal at first , but see where your heart belongs. I never said to myself: i want to be a digital artist. Being a digital artist is the result of my goal, wich was: i want to create beautifull and interresting characters ,or picts that have a real intriguing background story. I want to recreate my own dark crystal, my own empire strikes back...
that was my goal. Digital was just the perfect tool for me to achieve my goal.
you see the point?
;)

paperclip
05-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Very much so Pascal- as I see it, art college is supposed to:
1) Open your mind to new ways of doing things and provide new inspiration and
2) Teach you technique.

Then with these, you have to find your own way ... try to work out what it is you love doing.
Right? :bounce:
One more question- how do you know that you 'have what it takes'? I mean, not everyone can do well, but is passion & hard work enough? This is an often-asked question, so you don't have to answer it!
By the way...is your stuff in D'artiste? I'm wondering because I'm considering buying it...or is that Expose?
cheers,
theresa.

lukx
05-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Hi Pascal,

I got one question.Did you ever get any crushing crit about any of your work. I'm not talking about one bad crit but whole bunch of those. Did it make you think "uh, what I'm doing here, is there any point to go on?" I'm asking about it because I got quite a lot of really hard crits about my master and servant entry on Polish forum. Strange thing is that here I didn't get so many bad voices about it. I know I have to learn a lot.

pascal_blanche
05-16-2005, 08:54 PM
paperclip:
you got it ;)
1_as for your 'have what it takes' question, well there is one and only way to figure it out, and that`s to post your work on forums, and learn from the feedbacks.
If you are really passionate (and open minded) you will improve big time. I usually answer the one and only response i have from my own experience. Everything comes with a regular work ( doesnt need to be hardwork) .. practicing is really really what will move you from `wanna be` to `be`. We all come from this path you know, there is no other ways. The only ones who dont make it to a descent level are those who always have big excuses ;). Some people will start form a very very low level, and the path maybe be look a bit long... Just dont try to directly aim for the top in what you are doing, try to have fun!
2_I am in the next d'artiste book yes, with Steven Stahlberg and francisco Cortina. Those guys are super talented modellers, i cant adress the same level of expertise in character modelling, my ways in the field are more about getting to the point directly and make right choices about design and finalisation.. added lots of tips too ;)

lukx:
Never take it personnal! Learn from it! (darn.. starting to talk like this old green frog yoda im am) I know that it is hard and deceiving to get negative feedbacks, but try to adress that problems in your next work. Take it as an opportinity to move forward!
Of course i got negative feedbacks, and of course i am not always happy about it, but after a deep breath i am asking myself .. ok what does he/she see that i am missing? and then i go: oh.. ok.. never saw it this way.. damn he is right..
So basically, you are learning ;)

paperclip
05-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the reply-- I sure am passionate and while I'm at a (low, low!) stage where I'm not terrible, I know I have a long way to go...but I'm more than willing to take it and love every minute of it!! Why would I be doing it otherwise?

Must start saving up for that d'artiste book! They sound so good...you guys are making me bankrupt, between saving up for gnomon dvds AND ballistic books!! (not that the price isn't worth it..):twisted:
Which of your works is your favorite?

Leonard
05-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Hi all,

Time to finish up this Q&A session. If you have any further questions, please post them now. I'll close this session at the close of 17 May 2005.

Thanks!

Leonard

paperclip
05-17-2005, 01:25 AM
I did have a question but it looks like Pascal's run off!:twisted:

pascal_blanche
05-17-2005, 03:01 AM
paperclip:
im used to say that i always prefer the next illustration i will make, but to answer your question i would say that the Snailmaster is one of my favourites ;)

paperclip
05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
paperclip:
im used to say that i always prefer the next illustration i will make, but to answer your question i would say that the Snailmaster is one of my favourites ;)

The snailmaster is probably my fav of your pictures also. How the hey did you come up with something so bizarre?! It's almost like a cross between dali and magritte and...blanche.:D
Do you eat a lot of cheese before bedtime?

By the way, how long does the m & s take to judge? How exactly do you judge it- does each judge get some of the entries to leaf through, then they pick out the top 5 of the ones they've seen, then all of the judges get together to discuss which ones should win?
Is it something like that? Just wondering....

pascal_blanche
05-17-2005, 09:08 PM
paperclip:
1_chedar, roquefort and camember with red wine and fresh bred... you should try ;)
2_my vote will be added to the others i guess, and we have to wait for the final picts, but i watch it from time to time to see how things go

onlooker
05-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Pascal. Please private message me your address so I can send you that Giant Print. Thanks Again! :)

paperclip
05-17-2005, 09:37 PM
paperclip:
1_chedar, roquefort and camember with red wine and fresh bred... you should try ;)
2_my vote will be added to the others i guess, and we have to wait for the final picts, but i watch it from time to time to see how things go

I will, it sure sounds tasty. Thanks for the recommendation!
Whoops, this is going 'off topic'. Um. Did you ever model food? :scream: (I know, reaching, but it's the best I can do!)

pascal_blanche
05-17-2005, 09:46 PM
onlooker, already did but.. ok i send it to you again ;)
paperclip: ahah hmm well let me think. a banana... and some plate food for a lowres game..

jmBoekestein
05-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi Pascal, :)

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm short on time today. But I'm curious, who are or what are your major influences on your art? Be it anything.

And the Snailmaster reminds me of a monster in the Friends of the Maxx comic. It was a slug trying to devour people in the comic. Kind of weird. Do you read comics? And which if you do? Silly questions, but you never know what you'll find around the next corner, :D.

:thumbsup:Thanks for answering all our questions. And helping paperclip on her food obsession, ;) don't worry paperclip, we won't tell the real world. Just kidding.

pascal_blanche
05-17-2005, 10:36 PM
jmBoekestein:

my major influences are mainly those great artists form the 60s to 80s like Frazetta, Bisley, Moebius, Brom... and movies like starwars (yes, i was a star war kid;) ) dark crystal, films form ray harry hausen... anything that touches fantasy/science fiction

you are right about theMaxx , i really dig Sam Keith's style.. Snailmaster was also influenced by Arthur Suydam's stanges universes..
i read comic books a lot! and mangas too! i already written down the list of my actual main comic/manga readings.. where is .. ah here they are :

New Xmen (first serie) drawn by Frank Quitely.. just love his style!
Hellboy by M.Mignola
BLAME! by Nihei Tsutomu
Gunnm last order(alita) by Yukito Kishiro
Hunter X Hunter by Togashi Yoshihiro
also the comic book by Ashley wood, the adaptation of metal gear solid.. actually i almost buy anything related to ahsley wood.. and Simon bisley too (Slaine, Batman.. and lobo)
oh.. and you have to read
Elektra the one that Bill Sienkiewicz made.. he is one true master in comic books universes.. and Dark night (one must have comic book) by Frank Miller (also made Elektra lives again)
arkham asylum by dave mc kean
and Kingdom come by Alex ross ...
eerrr.. should i continue? ;)

jmBoekestein
05-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Wow! Big list! :eek:

Thanks Pascal:thumbsup:. Gonna have to catch up on my comics, most are tough to come by here in these parts. :D

So, you were a Star Wars kid too? WHat do you think of the latest films? I think he's not doing the old ones justice, they were better in narrative. Ah well. Better not start that discussion. :rolleyes:, could end in a war.

pascal_blanche
05-17-2005, 10:50 PM
ahaha... sure ;)

well.. i really like Empire strikes back and Attack of the clones
Episode III sounds pretty intense and.. well.. it is the missing link..
Im not a fan club boy, and i will not dress in darth vador next thursday, but i will go into the theatre with coke and popcorns and enjoy the experience like if i was 9 years old again.
That's what those movies are all about anyway.. entertainment!

jmBoekestein
05-17-2005, 11:08 PM
I agree, entertainment, but real good stuff I think. Some of those scenes are still very inspiring to see. I used to watch tha battle in Empire Strikes Back over and over again. And of-course the end battle in the last one. :D

Can I ask? How did you start out in art when you were a kid? Was it because of such things as movies or did you just start drawing and got better gradually? I can clearly remember wanting to draw such exciting scenes and compositions back the!

pascal_blanche
05-17-2005, 11:25 PM
well you pretty much answered the question ;)

the more i saw those movies, read those comics, the more wanted i wanted to draw stuff like this.... not just copy them , but get to the point where i had my hown little universe.

jmBoekestein
05-17-2005, 11:36 PM
:rolleyes:I guess so. thx.edit:I meant, yes I answered it myself.

I forgot:D, weren't you ever inspired by the great painters of old times? I often been found dreaming off when staring at old statues in schoolbooks.

Since you are so good at 3d I guess you must have had a run in with sculpture at some point. Ever taken up sculpting? Hmm...another question, what helps you become a better modeller? It never ends...sorry...:surprised...lol.

edit2: I'm sorry, I have to get some sleep. only 2 hours last night. :S

Well, since it's closing time. DO you have anything you'd like us to know or keep in mind.
Maybe like, what makes a good piece of art or an illustration. What's the best thing to do to grow as an artist? Stuff like that :D

And once again, thanks for helping us all with our questions, I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

I hope you'll be making more work soon, it's always something beautiful.:scream: Best of luck.

Jan-Mark.

PS:Did you get my file in one piece. I can easily resend it. :)

Vedic-kings
05-17-2005, 11:43 PM
I have another qusetion,

What Anime movies or Anime tv series that inspired you?

My favorites are Ghost in the Shell 1, 2 as well as the stand alone complex series. And a few other like Akira.

Also who are your favorites or inspired comic book artists?

Leonard
05-18-2005, 03:03 AM
OK guys, we're done here. Gone a little overtime.

A big thanks to Pascal Blanche for taking the time to participate in this Q&A session. Congratulations on being the EXPOSE' 3 Grand Master!

All the best!

Leonard