PDA

View Full Version : Computer Artist that wants to be a real time Shader/Lighter. What is needed?

QuantumBoy
05-09-2005, 06:19 AM
So, I've been using the search function like mad here, saved a whole bunch of links to intro programming and scripting, graphics development (including Cg, OpenGL, etc), and read many threads for hours but what it comes down to is..

What does an artist REALLY need to know to be competent for being a real-time shader and lighter TD, especially for next gen hardware in game development?

There is SO much info out there that it's overwhelming. I have almost no background in scripting or programming (currently I've been an environmental artist for 6 years who knows Maya and Max) but am very interested in learning and diving into this field. I tooled around with RenderMonkey which was very intuitive and gave me a glimse of some of the cool features and what shaders can do and have the requisite beginner books on C++, etc.. The thing is that I feel that maybe I'm getting too much in the programming area which overlaps most graphics prgrammmers and maybe I'm missing the forest for the trees and there is a simpler way.

Do I really need to be a competent graphics programmer and 3d app scripter to get into a job position such as Shader/Lighter or could I just learn/use some graphics tools for shaders that are already out there such as the plug-in for Photoshop for normal mapping or RenderMonkey etc and focus more on the art and lighting side of things?

Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated.

jla

mummey
05-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Focus more on the art of lighting. The tools are only tools. Your time would be better spent learning lighting techniques.

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2005, 11:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.