PDA

View Full Version : EXPOSÉ 3 Launch!

Leonard
05-09-2005, 03:05 AM
http://leonard.cgcommunity.com/expose3ad.jpg (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/)

Hi all,

As promised, here is the official launch of EXPOSE' 3, now bigger and better than ever before! You can now pre-order your copy of EXPOSE' 3 and enjoy massive savings!
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/

EXPOSÉ 3
Ballistic Publishing is pleased to announce EXPOSÉ 3, the third edition of the industry’s best art book celebrating the creative talents of digital artists worldwide. Surpassing the number of entries for both EXPOSÉ 1 and 2, EXPOSÉ 3 sets the bar even higher for quality of entries and awards across existing and new categories.

Bigger, Better Than Ever Before!
To accommodate the additional award winning entries in EXPOSÉ 3, Ballistic Publishing has added sixteen extra pages at no extra cost. With these additional pages, EXPOSÉ 3 now features 208 pages of the world’s finest digital art.

Limited Edition - Additional 16 Exclusive Pages
For the first time, EXPOSÉ 3 Limited Edition features a Master Artist section with additional artwork and biographies of the 23 Master artists and Grand Master artist. This section is only available in the Limited Edition making it even more collectable. 1,000 of these limited, numbered copies will be available as extremely valuable and unique collectibles. Each Ballistic Publishing Limited Edition comes with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity featuring a gold Ballistic Publishing seal. We now have a system that allows customers to choose a number.
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/limited_edition/reservation.php

Grand Master - Pascal Blanche
The EXPOSE' 3 Grand Master Award is given to Pascal Blanche (http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/). Congratulations Pascal!

Pre-Order Discounts
There is a massive 15% discount (28% on the Limited Edition!) on pre-orders of EXPOSE' 3. This discount is not applicable to any other discounts such as the CGS 5% discount or the bundling discounts on Ballistic Publishing. The CGS members 5% discount will be available when EXPOSE' 3 begins shipping.

EXPOSE' 3 - Be Excited, Be Very Excited (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/)

http://leonard.cgcommunity.com/steel.jpg
Pascal Blanche's "Steel"

xiao_x
05-09-2005, 03:15 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: ,finally,expose 3.......that really cool,all artwork there is :thumbsup:

Heber
05-09-2005, 03:28 AM
look really good, i will definately buy it , my only concern is that you could of fit those extra 32 pages into all the different versions, i can see it from a sales tactic but yeah now it looks like i will have to go with hardcover at least ...hmm

*edit , ah ok placing order now :)

hypercube
05-09-2005, 03:34 AM
Misread maybe? The hard and softcover editions are the same, with the 16 extra pages..just the LE has 16 extra-extra pages. I got the LE too this time but always like softcovers for these kinds of books.

edit: oh and of course it goes without saying, but congrats on another fantastic release! hope to submit someday.

Antonbomb22
05-09-2005, 03:50 AM
will buy when i get next pay check:D oh and i have to pick up expose 2 also>_< anyways im excited for 3rd edition of the expose series as i love cg art:)

im so quick at writing:D

news article up:
http://news.animationtalk.com/newsarticle319.html

Peddy
05-09-2005, 04:04 AM
cha-ching!

vrf
05-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Previous year's EXPOSÉ Limited Editions have sold quickly, and we are not expecting EXPOSÉ 3 editions to last, so make sure that you purchase your copy as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.

Leo, you're stretching the truth here a little bit. Of the 2000 LE copies of Expose 2, you've not even sold close to half of them. I understand you wanting to paint a positive picture, but...

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose2/limited_edition/reservation.php?start=1701

By the way, good idea to add bonus content to the LE. It may not tempt me to spend the extra money, but I'm sure it will boost sales for that edition.

Briareos
05-09-2005, 04:07 AM
"world's leading digital art annual"

and

"industry’s best art book"

those are some bold claims... I don't see how that can be when its not even distributed.

eclipson
05-09-2005, 04:12 AM
arhh!!..Expose 3!:eek: :eek:Finally!!.......defenately getting one,:twisted: :bounce: but have to get expose 2 too!! haven't get the chance to buy it yet...:twisted: , hope there are still some stocks left!

Antonbomb22
05-09-2005, 04:16 AM

and

those are some bold claims... I don't see how that can be when its not even distributed.
well its really the only book dedicated to digital artwork that is published annually. its is fairly distributed i would say but it could use some more exposure. i heard their working on book deals in us and uk.

vrf
05-09-2005, 04:17 AM

and

I guess, within the digital art world, those are probably true claims. "Industry" = digital. All of the other high-quality annuals (Like Spectrum) do not limit themselves to digital art.

hypercube
05-09-2005, 04:21 AM
Jeez, why all the hatin' over some advertising hyperbole?

If you look at any ad copy for anything it's always the coolest and best and most powerful. It's not like it started with "Spectrum causes cancer".

Sheesh.

Tad
05-09-2005, 04:24 AM
ah I don't like the cheezy "we are the most amazing book ever" claims either.

but whatever, u gota make ur bills i guess

vrf
05-09-2005, 04:25 AM
Is it just my computer, or is there a problem with "Step 1" of the checkout process? Weird glitch.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/vrf/step1.jpg

Briareos
05-09-2005, 04:28 AM
credited critics make these assertions, not the ones creating the product.

granted most advertising is bs, which this may very well be. It just seems over the top.

having a track record of a whole wopping 2 editions can not give one the world title.

Mibus
05-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Is it just my computer, or is there a problem with "Step 1" of the checkout process? Weird glitch.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/vrf/step1.jpg

That's really weird - it's only applied some of the CSS for you. I can't reproduce it, if you let me know your IE version, any plugins/extensions/BHOs you have installed, and if it happens in any other browser or on any other computer (if possible), we'll take a closer look.

jampoz
05-09-2005, 05:54 AM
How can you possibly say anything bad about Expose and/or the way they advertise it?

It's a book made by CGtalk users for CGtalk users
It's not like they're selling you anything, it's a way to get money and in order to succeed I believe they can use whatever grammatical trick they want to use

It's the most creative way to pay for this service and you gotta admit CGtalk is one hell of a service

Intonater
05-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Great work!

I love her eyes to death.

thank you to show us this artistry.:thumbsup:

CGmonkey
05-09-2005, 06:13 AM

granted most advertising is bs, which this may very well be. It just seems over the top.

having a track record of a whole wopping 2 editions can not give one the world title.

Ooh someone woke up on the wrong side of bed today, huh? ;)

I've shared many happy moments with Exposé 1 & 2, I doubt that it will be less with Exposé 3 :)

vrf
05-09-2005, 06:19 AM
It's not like they're selling you anything

Ha! Sarcasm noted.

Unless you actually meant that.

vrf
05-09-2005, 06:20 AM
That's really weird - it's only applied some of the CSS for you. I can't reproduce it, if you let me know your IE version, any plugins/extensions/BHOs you have installed, and if it happens in any other browser or on any other computer (if possible), we'll take a closer look.

Hey, no worries, Robert. It seems to be working fine now. A one-time glitch, I guess. Thanks.

olijosman
05-09-2005, 06:24 AM
Great news :)

olijosman
05-09-2005, 06:44 AM
I can see the available number but..the key?:shrug:

Mibus
05-09-2005, 06:53 AM
olijosman, owners of EXPOSE' 2 Limited Edition were emailed secret keys so that the EXPOSE'3 LE with the same number can be bought this year.

If you have an Exp2LE, but no email, contact Helen - helen@ballisticmedia.net. If you do not have an Exp2LE, then you can either buy a number that isn't reserved (use the "Pick Lowest Number" option, to the left of the number list) or you can wait until the reserved numbers finish their reservation period (around 5 days, currently).

olijosman
05-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Ok, thanks a lot Mibus

Tad
05-09-2005, 07:05 AM
How can you possibly say anything bad about Expose and/or the way they advertise it?

It's not like they're selling you anything, it's a way to get money and in order to succeed I believe they can use whatever grammatical trick they want to use

It's the most creative way to pay for this service and you gotta admit CGtalk is one hell of a service

got nothing against expose,
yeah it's made by cgtalk users, and thats great!

I'm just stating a fact,
the advertising is annoying.
if it annoys it's OWN USERS, just think about other folk thinking about purchasing it?

of course.. there are alot of easily impressionable ppl out there, so it might just do the trick, haha.

rebo
05-09-2005, 07:13 AM
Expose 1 and 2 and D'Artiste are the best digital art books I own, and as I dont care what anyone else thinks Expose 3 Limited Edition will be added to this list.

erilaz
05-09-2005, 07:18 AM
I never got my reservation key for the limited edition... when did you send them?

vrf
05-09-2005, 07:20 AM
Okay, placed my order for the hardcover edition. I got the generic Ballistic order confirmation e-mail that said it'd be shipping soon, in three or so days. Is this correct? I didn't see a shipping date anywhere else, but this is good news if true.

Mibus
05-09-2005, 07:21 AM
We sent them all out last Wednesday.

Email Helen (helen@ballisticmedia.net), she has a list of the keys.

Mibus
05-09-2005, 07:34 AM
vrf: Unfortunately it won't be shipping that soon. The 1-3 days comment applies to "most orders", but not pre-orders. I've changed the wording so it's more clear, and made some adjustments to the first paragraph too.

The actual expected shipping date is early July, listed here - http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/

jampoz
05-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Ha! Sarcasm noted.

Unless you actually meant that.

I meant that, I believe we shouln't look at Expose as a product they wants to sell us
Everybody else sell stuff in order to become rich or anything else, they're selling it in order to keep on giving us a free service

To simply call it a product and to imply they're fooling us with wrong ads to buy it is bad and they don't deserve that

jampoz
05-09-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm just stating a fact,
the advertising is annoying.
if it annoys it's OWN USERS, just think about other folk thinking about purchasing it?

of course.. there are alot of easily impressionable ppl out there, so it might just do the trick, haha.

I see, just don't understand why does it annoy you, you got something against all ads or just don't like this one?

I just hope lots of people out of CGtalk (fall for the trick and...) get Expose, it gives credit to all the amazing artists that literally live in here

erilaz
05-09-2005, 08:08 AM
We sent them all out last Wednesday.

Email Helen (helen@ballisticmedia.net), she has a list of the keys.

Thanks Mibus... I think my old address was being used.:)

MarkSnoswell
05-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Congradulations to all the Award Winners (ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/awards)

... and a big thank you to the Advisory Board for their assistance in choosing this years winners:

Syd Mead - One of the most celebrated concept designers of our time.
Chris Sloan - Art Director for the National Geographic Magazine.
Lorne Lanning - President/Creative Director and Co-Founder of Oddworld Inhabitants.
Dan Curry - VFX Producer/Supervisor, Star Trek since 1987.
Eric Hanson - Visual effects designer specializing in feature films.
Tim McGovern - Visual Effects Supervisor for many films since 1981 (Tron).
Stephan Martiniere - Internationally renowned Science Fiction and Fantasy artist.
Scott Robertson - A luminary of the LA concept design community.
Jeff Mottle - President and Founder of CGArchitect.
Kim Baumann Larsen - Norwegian architect and the CEO of PLACEBO EFFECTS.

MarkSnoswell
05-09-2005, 08:49 AM
EXPOS'E 3 is bigger this year for two reasons... We have more full page images and there are more categories and Award Winners than ever.

This years categories are:
· Abstract/Design

· Architectural

· Character in Action

· Character in Repose

· Cityscape

· Creature in Repose

· Environment

· Fantasy

· Humorous

· Robotic/Cyborg

· Still Life

· Surreal

- Transport

Notably, we recieved a lot of sureal image entries this year... These are the 2D and 3D Master Award winners in the Sureal category ...
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/awards/images/10438.jpg
http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/expose3/awards/images/10889.jpg

vrf
05-09-2005, 09:24 AM
I meant that, I believe we shouln't look at Expose as a product they wants to sell us
Everybody else sell stuff in order to become rich or anything else, they're selling it in order to keep on giving us a free service

But dude, they are selling a product. You can wrap it in whatever nice-sounding language that you want, but it most certainly is a product for sale. I agree that this is how they pay their bills (along with advertising) but it doesn't change the fact that it's a book for sale like any other book.

I don't have a problem with the whole "finest digital art in the known universe" line. Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't necessarily agree, but it is a statement of opinion, I guess.

However, I'm not terribly fond of the language on how "extremely valuable" and "popular" the LEs are. The first one sold well because of the whole newness of Expose, but the second one still has a lot of copies collecting dust. I predict the same will be true for the third one, although they cut their print run in half this time to minimize the problem. Still, it's way too expensive. The hardcover edition is already over twice the price of other annuals like Spectrum, and the LE is more than twice that price. Yikes.

To be honest, the main reason I bought the LE of Expose 1 was because it didn't have a naked chick on the cover. It has a better WAF that way. (Wife Acceptance Factor.)

Garma
05-09-2005, 10:15 AM
To be honest, the main reason I bought the LE of Expose 1 was because it didn't have a naked chick on the cover. It has a better WAF that way. (Wife Acceptance Factor.)

lol

[cheatingpastfrigginmessagelengthfilter]

tjabba
05-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Please give an example of a 'credited critic'.

granted most advertising is bs, which this may very well be.
"May very well be"... lol 1 point gained for nice ass-covering, 2 points lost for backing down on your own bitching.

How many editions then? When can they finally ask a credited critic for the title?
And while we're at it, if they don't own the title now, who in your opinion does?

jampoz
05-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Fair enough vrf :)

I don't know about Spectrum, gotta search for it right now just to have a more complete opinion about the whole thing, thank you

Got one question, the high price, well I couln't compare it with anything else 'cause to me it is in fact the best and only book (don't know many others out there, my bad...)
My question is: do you think the high price is 'cause they spend alot in printing and shipping, 'cause they spend alot in server and connectivity or 'cause they want to get more money than whats needed?

loocas
05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
PLEASE deal some reseller-ship (is there such a word? :scream: ) in UK or somewhere in the EU. Some physical shop where we can get all those books without those extreme postage charges! I guess if you contact some of the big companies selling Magic The Gathering or so, you could make something out of it...

But anyway, I'm pre-ordering it... :buttrock:

onlooker
05-09-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't have a problem with the whole "finest digital art in the known universe" line. Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't necessarily agree, but it is a statement of opinion, I guess.

I see what your saying, but it bothers me little.

Although I had a similar thought the day I read this.

The CGSociety is the most respected and accessible global organization for creative digital artists.

I thought "You just opened 2 minutes ago. How much respect can you earn in 2 minutes?"

Anyway, I'm passing on this version of Expose3 in a "one person protest" for other reasons. (I'm not looking to start a trend here so don't join) I know. Who would have thought I would be protesting right? Believe me I thought I had seen the end of it, but I am a Vegan, and a big fan of Pascal. There are 16 pages that I can not get because it is against my beliefs to buy a book bound by the skin of another animal (or as I prefer to think of them) another Earthling.
That would be like asking a Jew to contribute to the new Nazi party (I'm not saying CGSocitety is a bunch of Nazi's) I have the hard back versions of 1st, and second Expose books, but by buying the Hard Cover Edition before, I was never excluded from any additional content because of my personal beliefs. Personally I think all the pages should have been in all versions of the book, but selfishly I would have preferred it been in the Hard Cover Edition as well. I know, I feel so cheap for even thinking that. :cry:

vrf
05-09-2005, 12:38 PM
My question is: do you think the high price is 'cause they spend alot in printing and shipping, 'cause they spend alot in server and connectivity or 'cause they want to get more money than whats needed?

I think the high price is primarily due to volume. They don't sell as many of these as other publishers do, so they can't have lower prices and make it up in sheer numbers. It's a fact in the publishing industry that the more copies you print and sell, the lower the cost is on each one.

Unfortunately, this doesn't change the fact that the average art-loving guy comes to the table with a limited amount of money. He could buy two editions of the awesome Spectrum for the price of one Expose. And for fantasy/sci-fi-styled pieces, you just can't beat Spectrum's quality. (It includes non-digital pieces, though, so Expose does have a unique niche in that regard.)

PixelShader
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately, this doesn't change the fact that the average art-loving guy comes to the table with a limited amount of money. He could buy two editions of the awesome Spectrum for the price of one Expose. And for fantasy/sci-fi-styled pieces, you just can't beat Spectrum's quality. (It includes non-digital pieces, though, so Expose does have a unique niche in that regard.)

Vance,

I've been reading your Spectrum vs EXPOSE' tirade for some time now. Sorry, but I don't see why or how you continue this pointless comparison when the two products are made for different niches, with different production values, subject matter and niches.

I collect both EXPOSE' and Spectrums and the two have extremely little overlap in content. On that point alone, I don't see how or why you have brought up such a pointless comparison. The two are not the same. Not to mention that Ballistic's production values and quality simply trumps over Spectrum's hands down. I'd pay extra for the production quality of Ballistic books any day over Spectrum's. From the sexy black presentation, image processing, book production and more (I have the pleasure of owning Limited Editions in addition to the standard editions).

Some of the Spectrum's on my shelf looks like a 15 year old kid with InDesign slapped it together with uneven spacing between images and other layout errors. EXPOSE' layouts are far better and pleasing to the eye. From the look of things, Spectrum doesn't even bother to do any color correction or image processing (if they do, it sucks). Find an image that is in both Spectrum and EXPOSE' - place them side by side and compare -- EXPOSE' wins hands down.

Also - Spectrum charges people to enter their images (per image). EXPOSE' takes (what I believe to be) the fair and right approach. It is free of charge to enter and then give artists free books when they're artwork is used.

As a collector of art books, I find Ballistic's production values to be among the best that I have ever seen -- and the price is reasonable compared to the other art books that I've purchased, some of them easily going for over $100 (US) with much less content than EXPOSE'.

People here think that the Limited Edition is expensive? Obviously, you're not collectors. <$200 for a leather bound book is cheap! I've seen limited edition books sell for five times that amount and collectors still buy them. Furthermore, they've got it listed in Australian dollars. Some of us with stronger currencies will find their books an incredible bargain.

Sorry Vance, but enough is enough. I've been reading your tirades of Spectrum vs EXPOSE' this whole thread and previous EXPOSE' threads. Let's lay it to rest here. The two products are totally different. Sure, Spectrum has great artistic content from traditional artists with sculptures and traditional pieces that EXPOSE' will never have, but EXPOSE' is not supposed to be another Spectrum. It's focus is on digital art as opposed to fantasy art (Spectrum). You're comparing apples to oranges.

If you like Spectrum, buy that. If you like digital artwork, buy EXPOSE'. There's so little overlap between the two books that this comparison is completely pointless.

My 2 cents.

Geoff

Ithilien
05-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Vance,

I've been reading your Spectrum vs EXPOSE' tirade for some time now. Sorry, but I don't see why or how you continue this pointless comparison when the two products are made for different niches, with different production values, subject matter and niches.

<snip>

If you like Spectrum, buy that. If you like digital artwork, buy EXPOSE'. There's so little overlap between the two books that this comparison is completely pointless.

Quoted for agreement.

I'm going to buy my copy of EXPOSE 3 now.

Leonard
05-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks Geoff. Was tempted to respond to VRF myself but you so eloquently mentioned what I wanted to say (in a lot more detail too).

Cheers,

Leonard

vrf
05-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Geoff,

So who's been doing the tirade now? Your opinions are yours and many here will agree with you. I do not happen to, especially your thoughts on the inferior quality of the Spectrum books. You clearly have different standards for your money, and different ways of evaluating what makes a good book. For me, it's the content, not the weight of the paper, or how many enlargments we get of the same piece. For quality of images, Spectrum clearly wins that category and you know it. So does the rest of the free market.

But whatever, different books for different markets. You said it. Whatever floats your boat. I'll not mention that book again if it offends you so much.

Vance

vrf
05-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks Geoff. Was tempted to respond to VRF myself but you so eloquently mentioned what I wanted to say (in a lot more detail too).

Cheers,

Leonard

No, please respond Leonard. We want your thoughts on the cost issue. I'm guessing there are good reasons for the higher price, but we'd like to hear it from the source. Is it a volume issue? Or the fact that the books have to have larger margins to cover other things, like the running of this site?

jampoz
05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
I didn't know Spectrum before and I did some research, well I must agree that it's not possible to compare them in any way

Next step will be comparing Expose to some Math school book? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Yep Leonard join the discussion if you have some time to spare... and remember to edit your sig... :)

PixelShader
05-09-2005, 01:57 PM
So who's been doing the tirade now? Your opinions are yours and many here will agree with you. I do not happen to, especially your thoughts on the inferior quality of the Spectrum books. You clearly have different standards for your money, and different ways of evaluating what makes a good book. For me, it's the content, not the weight of the paper, or how many enlargments we get of the same piece. For quality of images, Spectrum clearly wins that category and you know it. So does the rest of the free market.

Wait a minute. You just said that everyone's entitled to their own opinion and then make the assumption that everyone thinks the same way as you do? "Spectrum clearly wins that category and you know it. So does the rest of the free market." Sorry pal, you just completely shot whatever substance of your argument down with that statement.

Spectrum and EXPOSE' are totally different. One is made for the digital art, one is for fantasy art.

Which one has 'better' content is up to the reader and his/her interests. There are tens of thousands of people here on this site who might enjoy EXPOSE' over Spectrum because because it's directly related to their line of work and interests. There may also be many people here who collect both Spectrum and EXPOSE' and enjoy both just as much.

Really. Who cares if one is 'better'? Point being -- Do you really need to take a crap all over an EXPOSE' launch thread by continually saying that Spectrum is better and putting EXPOSE' down? What is the point of that? You haven't even held EXPOSE' 3 in your hands yet to make a judgement - maybe EXPOSE' 3 is 'better' than Spectrum finally after going through two iterations (as opposed to Spectrum which has had 11 chances to get it right).

Pick up a Spectrum and EXPOSE'. There's so little overlap between the two books that it's baffling that you even bother to compare the two books.

Whatever floats your boat pal.

Geoff

vrf
05-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Geoff,

Settle down, buddy. Have a cup of tea. We're all on the same side here. I just probably have less money than you do so I question prices. I'm the guy who questions garage sale prices, for crying out loud. I'll not, as you say it, "crap all over" this thread anymore by mentioning Spectrum. You clearly have issues with that comparison, even though I don't agree with your standards of comparing the two.

So, what then shall we compare Expose to? I believe the price is quite high, particularly for the kind of market that Ballistic is targeting these books at. I think most CGtalkers have a budget more similiar to mine than to yours. And Ballistic's soggy sales seem to support this. What would you do to boost sales, if not lower the price?

Skyraider3D
05-09-2005, 02:19 PM
There's not a single aircraft in there and the only realistic vehicle is a motorcycle. And I am pretty sure there were some very decent car renders in the submissions! Quite disappointing!
They better call it "the pixies and fairies book with futuristic gadgets"... :shrug:

Leonard
05-09-2005, 02:31 PM
No, please respond Leonard. We want your thoughts on the cost issue. I'm guessing there are good reasons for the higher price, but we'd like to hear it from the source. Is it a volume issue? Or the fact that the books have to have larger margins to cover other things, like the running of this site?

EXPOSE is a very expensive book to produce. Seeing that you're constantly referring to Spectrum, they charge artists to enter the book. That helps to cover the cost of putting the book together in the first place. EXPOSE has no such benefit as we take the upfront risk of producing the book and risk not selling them. All of the upfront costs of producing EXPOSE: collecting the entries, databasing them, having them judged, processed, laid out, checked, indexed, etc. all take a non-trivial amount of resources to put the book together. Not to mention the actual cost of printing the book itself - EXPOSE is an expensive book to make. We do not skimp on quality. We are physically present at press checks, making sure that the pages coming off the press after they've laid the plate has a consistent colour. Ballistic books all use the latest screening and printing technologies available to get the best reproduction possible.

Ballistic Publishing is a boutique publisher. We print low volumes and sell directly to resellers or via our website. Unlike other publishers, we do not go through the murderous distribution channel that takes at least 70% of revenue, discounts it to the general public then pays the publisher any commission 120 days later, totally screwing the publisher. We cannot survive on that model and have no intention of going that route. If it means that we make less books, sell less books but make the same margin, that's fine by us. And no, we're not making a killing by selling these books. The fact that we ran so close to red recently is testament to that. We do this because we love it (though we do have to meet costs and payroll), and we know that we're doing the global digital arts industry a service by producing the best annual art publications and promoting the artists with them. The artists are all stoked to be represented in EXPOSE.

If you think that Ballistic books are expensive, go to a University bookstore and have a look at the books there. A typical text book (all text) costs at least 50% more than EXPOSE.

I also do believe in upholding a product's value. EXPOSE is worth what it is and people are buying it at the price point with little qualms or complaints. By dropping the price of a product or selling it via a distribution channel that drives the price competitively downwards, it devalues your product. EXPOSE is not a bargain basement product and we're not going to give retailers the chance to price slash our products. It helps no-one. We're not the only company that thinks this way, Gnomon, BMW and other manufacturers also believe in producing quality products and retaining their standards so that they can continue offering quality products.

Ultimately, the market dictates the price point. Ballistic books have done well with their price points and we rarely get any complaints about it being too expensive - especially after they've actually held the books in their hands.

Best,

Leonard

digital-bobert
05-09-2005, 02:34 PM
VRF... i see where you're coming from but I have friend's like you... they're the same people that have the "no name" chips and drinks at their parties. Tastes pretty bad. hehehe... jjk

ah.. the price of art. It can be a never ending debate.

I myself have made books before and let me tell you it isn't an easy task.

Expose 3 looks gorgeous. It's wonderful to see that the people of CGtalk take so much pride in the art of book making. I think the LE editions will make a great collector's item.

Not too many people know what it takes to make a nice leather bound book... anyone that thinks it's too expensive should look at this http://www.silvio-co.com/publish/special.htm

I'll be purchasing a copy for sure.

...a final thought...
for every good thing, there'll always be a "hater." I'm not directing this at VRF but is it me, or is it that most "haters" hardly post any art of they're own? Maybe they feel better about themselves by putting down others? hehehe

alexyork
05-09-2005, 02:44 PM
enough of this "i want the world for free/cheap" baloney already. it's getting very old indeed.

also, I'm sick of seeing Leonard and the team having to justify their every move lately. these guys are busting their balls to offer us exposure, to produce outstanding sources of artwork that we can all admire in some way and to stay afloat. and they're succeeding too.

give the guys a break for heaven's sake!

jampoz
05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
we're doing the global digital arts industry a service by producing the best annual art publications and promoting the artists with them.

I'd end the discussion here, well said Leonard

loocas
05-09-2005, 03:29 PM
I don't understand this kind of discussion! It leads nowhere, it has no value for the readers/discutants... it's crap!

Why throwing dirt at something just because one likes something else better?! That's called FREEDOM! You have the right liking anything you want! No one here or from /BALLISTIC/ is forcing cgtalk members to buy the books (I'm not counting the "propaganda" which got solved by CGSociety system) but definitely no one forces anyone here to like what they do or create! Not at all!

If I like something else than Exposé, so what?! But I definitely won't be going through forums spreading my own point of view and basically forcing others to take my opinion as some kind of a dogma!

Really... I don't like this kind of arguing over somebody's work! :banghead:

vrf
05-09-2005, 04:03 PM
VRF... i see where you're coming from but I have friend's like you... they're the same people that have the "no name" chips and drinks at their parties. Tastes pretty bad. hehehe... jjk

I think you'd be surprised at my generosity in the food for friends area. :)

Anyhow, sorry to be a cheap bastard everyone. Leo's explanation mostly works for me, I guess.

But on the submission thing --why not charge a small fee for entering Expose? I know you need to collect as much content as possible for these editions, but it seems to me that it would really be worth a small processing fee if it helped lower costs overall. And let's face it: those not willing to cough up a few bucks to see their work in print probably wouldn't be selected anyway. Okay, so that's a terrible generalization, but I bet it's pretty close to the truth. (I know my work is not up to par, and I would hesitate to submit it against all the pros.) And you might save on bandwidth/judging/etc just to have that barrier of entry at the beginning. Spectrum charges the dough because artists (and other publishers) want to be included in that book. If the same is true for Expose, charge a bit of money for the privelege. I really think the lower cost of the book would help Ballistic sell a lot more copies.

Rennie
05-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Indeed nice to add the extra pages but still won't pay the extra 109 dollars. That's very expensive for a book man.
Still Expose rocks :buttrock: Have 1 and 2 so have to get this one as well.

gra7
05-09-2005, 04:54 PM
amaaazingg.. but this is to much money for me.. hehe

HapZungLam
05-09-2005, 05:08 PM
so, when is it going to deliver?

Alex_Rooth
05-09-2005, 06:51 PM
What happened to the mechanical category - is it still there somewhere or was it removed?

erpel
05-09-2005, 06:55 PM
wow some people have a lot of time and anger to spare. complaining about this book is really quite absurd. what s wrong with them saying that it s the best book around? it probably is. and it s not that expensive if you compare it to other books filled with colored images that you find in a bookshop. I don t even have a credit card but tomorrow I m going to see a friend who has one and I m going to order one. excited, very excited!

apekki
05-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Looking very nice, I rarely buy any books, but this looks worth money. I'm looking also a friend who has a credit card. :) What do you think, would I spare any money in shipping if I ordered 3 books (all exposes) at the same time, or would it cost as much as when ordered individually? Maybe i try to find answer from the ballistic's site.

Skyraider3D
05-09-2005, 07:29 PM
What happened to the mechanical category - is it still there somewhere or was it removed?
My thoughts exactly...

Mibus
05-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Looking very nice, I rarely buy any books, but this looks worth money. I'm looking also a friend who has a credit card. :) What do you think, would I spare any money in shipping if I ordered 3 books (all exposes) at the same time, or would it cost as much as when ordered individually? Maybe i try to find answer from the ballistic's site.

If you go through the standard post, then it'll cost the same for shipping, changing only for what country you're in.

If you use FedEx, then you'll save a bit on shipping, you'd save more if you waited until EXPOSE'3 landed, but if you wait you won't get the discount.

The best thing to do is to add what you're after to your cart, go through the checkout process, enter your address information, the page after that has the shipping rates. You can play around as much as you want, it'll just update the prices every time you go to the checkout. :thumbsup:

MarkSnoswell
05-10-2005, 12:50 AM
The categories reflect the entries. This year there were not enough mechanical entries to justify a whole category so any images that were "mechanical" appeared wherever was most apropriate this year -- such as transport of still life.

SteveNewport
05-10-2005, 06:09 PM
I got tired of reading all the negative responses...

I bought the second EXPOSÉ shortly after it was released. One I recieved it in my mail I brought it into my room and before I could even finish browsing through all the fantastic work I was on the internet purchasing a copy of EXPOSÉ 1. This time around I decided it's worth buying a LE. These are truly some of the best books I've ever gotten my hands on (besides National Geographics incredible 'best pictures' collections). As long as Ballistic continues to make them, I will buy them. And if they last this long, when I'm 65 years old I'll have an entire bookshelf dedicated to them so when the grandkids come over I can show them what I and hundreds of others where a part of. They are truly fantastic books inside and out, great art and great craftmanship. I don't care why they were created... if they were only created to make money then props to CGtalk, because they went above and beyond where they had to go to make a quick buck. If you enjoy digital art at all, EXPOSÉ will be thoroughly worth it, and if not then they have a good amount of other books that might peak your interest. Great job CGtalk and ballistic

NickBFTD
05-10-2005, 07:24 PM
I just ordered EXPOSE 3 yesterday making it my seventh ballistic book.

simarilius
05-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Just bought the LE number to match my copies of 1 & 2, and look forward to it arriving.
On the whole cost front, I think of it as my annual subscription to CGtalk, with the added bonus I get a kickass book. They really are top notch quality, and have a substantial wow factor when shown to none digital art folks. When i finally get round to having a coffee table, they'll have pride of place. :)

btw, I'd have thought there were enough images round here to do a planes trains and automobiles type of book, (ok probably planes trains and bikes) The people interested in those categorys do some outstanding work and tend to be into the subjects enough that I'd have thought it would sell, particularly if you did it as a d'artiste and had some tutorial type stuff in there from some of the top guys.

MarkSnoswell
05-11-2005, 12:48 AM
WOW! ... almost 200 LE's gone already and the newsletter just started going out!!

er... we do have enough images to do several more fantastic books. We have the biggest surplus of Fantasy images. We have also get tons of images of "heroic" female (and some make) figures and that would seem to be a good book to do ... Steven Stahlbergs workshop on Gybergirls has almost sold out in the first two days of anouncing it -- ther's clearly a popular demand for Cyberbabes.

jampoz
05-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Oh guys, do your best and publish a mechanical book with vehicles and robots only!
A machineflesh without the flesh, you know it will rock so hard!

ffourier
05-11-2005, 09:35 AM
wonderful cover, simply amzing. I will save money a little bit :)

Skyraider3D
05-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Oh guys, do your best and publish a mechanical book with vehicles and robots only!
A machineflesh without the flesh, you know it will rock so hard!
Amen to that! :D

Neil
05-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Congrats on Ex3. But. If you are gonna use a banner the width of the website, why do you continue to use the artist showcase boxes on top too?! Seems totally "in your face", if someone can't see the ad 1" underneath the artist showcases, then they're too stupid to order it anyhow. Seems like every week we get less and less art showcases on there.

Leonard
05-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Congrats on Ex3. But. If you are gonna use a banner the width of the website, why do you continue to use the artist showcase boxes on top too?! Seems totally "in your face", if someone can't see the ad 1" underneath the artist showcases, then they're too stupid to order it anyhow. Seems like every week we get less and less art showcases on there.

I hear you, however, this has to be the way for a short time. In the past, we were far too subtle with our marketing for the fear of outrage from the community, only to find that many many people had no clue that we even published books. We can't ever get the message across anymore without being 'in your face'. It's amazing just how many people continue to say things like "Oh you publish books too?" or who have never heard of EXPOSE' despite being a member of this site for years. This time, we really want to drill the message in, if we piss off a few people, sorry. I think we've done a pretty good job of keeping the marketing well integrated and looking good.

This is just a hard push for a week or so then it will return back to normal. If you want to rid the ads (including the big EXPOSE' 3 banner), CGSociety membership allows you to do so.

Thanks,

Leo

malcolmvexxed
05-12-2005, 05:45 AM

If all you want is heaping praise even when something said is untrue might as well eliminate the idea of a discussion board. The real question is why do some people feel the need to kiss butt no matter what the circumstances are?

and lol @ grammatical trick

wow some people have a lot of time and anger to spare. complaining about this book is really quite absurd.

No, what's absurd is the sheep mentality that accompanies too many of the threads on the site where people are afraid to criticize anything other people like. I'd much prefer this where people are being honest.

Anyway the book looks great I have the 2nd edition and i thought it was far more worth my money than spectrum which i stopped buying two editions ago because of all the mediocrity. I'm sure this will be the same.

malcolmvexxed
05-12-2005, 05:49 AM
I don't understand this kind of discussion! It leads nowhere, it has no value for the readers/discutants... it's crap!

Unlike your contributions to the discussion which were... calling it crap?

jampoz
05-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Hi Stephen, well I was being honest, no need to defend Expose just 'cause is a CGtalk product and the only butt I kiss is my girlfriend one :thumbsup:

Said that...

I just find it sad to complain about their marketing strategy when the only thing coming from that is a free community to literally live in
Sure thats a discussion board and we're in here to discuss, hey I'm with you in here (agreement, not kissing butts, don't worry 'bout your pants)

But don't you feel like there are some things we can discuss about and some things we just better shut up about?

My point is that it's their strategy to pay our bills too 'cause by now we're kinda supposed to pay a rent for this place
You don't discuss with your mom when she's giving you a roof and food (ok, wrong example... damn... you got the point)

Tad
05-12-2005, 08:05 AM
I hear you, however, this has to be the way for a short time. In the past, we were far too subtle with our marketing for the fear of outrage from the community, only to find that many many people had no clue that we even published books. We can't ever get the message across anymore without being 'in your face'. It's amazing just how many people continue to say things like "Oh you publish books too?" or who have never heard of EXPOSE' despite being a member of this site for years. This time, we really want to drill the message in, if we piss off a few people, sorry. I think we've done a pretty good job of keeping the marketing well integrated and looking good.

This is just a hard push for a week or so then it will return back to normal. If you want to rid the ads (including the big EXPOSE' 3 banner), CGSociety membership allows you to do so.

Thanks,

Leo

i see no problem with the home of a published book having adverts for said book splashed allover it's own page..

btw I just wanted to add that the thumbnail links you guys use at the top of the cgtalk mainpage are a really cool and useful way of getting the "good stuff" right to you.

don't see that anywhere else

DevilHacker
05-12-2005, 12:29 PM
When can we bid for "Reserved for auction" #1-10 books?

PS: Good job on another launch of an Expose book. And I look forward to getting it.

mireneye
05-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Done, and ordered!
I ordered the limited edition... Beacuse well to be truthfully honest, I really like to feel special!. And to support you all at CGtalk.

Cheers to you.

MarkSnoswell
05-13-2005, 12:53 AM
When can we bid for "Reserved for auction" #1-10 books?

PS: Good job on another launch of an Expose book. And I look forward to getting it.

Good question ... we havn't scheduled this yet but we should really do it in the next couple of months perhaps -- prior to SIGGRAPH.

leduytien
05-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Don't know if I should ask this, but do anyone know where can I find the original cover image ? so beautiful...

ArtisticVisions
05-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Finally broke down and ordered my copy, LE #20. :applause:

I was kinda suprised at the number of available copies of the LE in the 1-100 and 100-200 editions. I had checked previously and saw those copies were for auctions or private sales, cause they weren't available till now. :shrug:

clojster
05-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Maybe it's because of alcohol in my blood (we have won ice hockey championship today) but what's so great on that Pascal Blanché's cover, except that Pascal Blanché made it?? (No offense) :thumbsup:

Nathellion
05-16-2005, 04:16 AM
I'd vouch for his image because it epitomizes stylized realism http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hope to purchase all the books of ballistic publishing when I start making money.

meats
05-16-2005, 06:22 AM
Maybe it's because of alcohol in my blood (we have won ice hockey championship today) but what's so great on that Pascal Blanché's cover, except that Pascal Blanché made it?? (No offense) :thumbsup:

That's funny, because I was just staring at that image thinking about how freaking cool it is...maybe the alchohol and hockey pucks to the head are blurring your vision (no offence :) ) ?

clojster
05-19-2005, 12:49 AM
That's funny, because I was just staring at that image thinking about how freaking cool it is...maybe the alchohol and hockey pucks to the head are blurring your vision (no offence :) ) ?
*This* is funny, because this is what I do when I see your (meats) images. (Staring at them continuously for... erm a long time) :eek:

I like Pascal Blanché´s images a lot... In fact he is one of my favourite artists. It's just that I don't get the idea of this image... but it's just matter of taste.
:)

Peddy
06-19-2005, 04:53 AM
hah. i misread the shipping date and ive been getting annoyed about it being late, but its still a good month away. itll make it that much more special.

now, its my turn to take a crack at this tread and the expose series. no, just kidding. i have better things to do.

vrf
06-19-2005, 08:38 AM
hah. i misread the shipping date and ive been getting annoyed about it being late, but its still a good month away. itll make it that much more special.

eh? I got an e-mail the other day saying that my order had just shipped. So, if you've pre-ordered, you should be getting your copy very soon.

MarkSnoswell
06-19-2005, 11:12 PM
hah. i misread the shipping date ...

EPOSE'E 3 commenced shipping late last week and all backorders will have shipped by the middle of this week.

Peddy
06-20-2005, 06:41 AM
EPOSE'E 3 commenced shipping late last week and all backorders will have shipped by the middle of this week.

i got the email today =]. tis a good thing indeed.

dotTom
06-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Got my limited ed copy of '3 this morning - 'twill look sweet next to 1 & 2. Now all I have to do is find a way not to spend the whole day flicking through it and actually do some work.

Danzarin
06-20-2005, 11:02 AM
:bounce:

cant wait until arrives.

SkyZero
06-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Just got a copy of my LE 3 today (southern cali via air mail)! Very good work, top-notch worksmanship! :thumbsup:

simarilius
06-21-2005, 05:22 PM
My LE arrived here in the UK this morning before I set out for work.
Looks great, good work guys :)

enygma
06-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Hopefully I'll see it soon. Look forward to adding the 3rd installment of Expose to my LE collection... :D

Valkyrien
06-23-2005, 05:37 AM
got mine early this afternoon! Must say, the shipping has vastly improved since two years ago! (if anyone recalls, E1 was released in early july, I received my copy sometime in september;))

Well done everyone:D

NickBFTD
06-23-2005, 06:43 AM
I got mine yesterday and i must say i'm very pleased with the quality of the book itself this time around.

theodoru
06-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Got my LE this morning. Wow! This book looks amazing. Thanks a lot Ballistic for giving me such happy moments!

mike33
06-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi Leonard, Mark, Ballistic Publishing and all the Artists,

Great job once again on the Expose Limited Edition.

Thank you for all your efforts, it's appreciated very much.

Cheers,

Mike
Dabbling Artist

ANTIFAN
06-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Received my Artist's edition yesterday morning and pored over it last night. A lot of beautiful artwork and a great looking book. Very impressed - and very pleased with my Master Award. :)

Ohh.. my spelling sucks, at least I've fixed it now.. :)

vrf
06-24-2005, 04:40 AM
very pleased with my Mater Award. :)

whoa.. cool. How did you score that kind of award?

So... Have only the Limited Editions started shipping? It doesn't seem like anyone has gotten the hardcover edition yet. (And I'm pretty sure I made it into the first batch of pre-orders.)

Vance

Mibus
06-24-2005, 05:07 AM
All Exp3 preorders should be shipped and on their way - don't forget that delivery can take 1-3 weeks!

alben
06-24-2005, 06:11 AM
I've just got mine last nite. Awesome book.

Fus|on
06-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Expose 3 Limited Edition is AWESOME

good job guys and thanks for the prompt delivery.

Peace

Alex Morris
06-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Mine just arrived ...............excellent book!!

Rennie
06-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Got my hardcover edition this morning. Exposer r0x0rz ;) :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-24-2005, 01:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.