PDA

View Full Version : the pyrotechnics thread

IgnusDei
05-09-2005, 01:47 AM
i need some nice fire and smoke effects for this piece right here:

http://www3.telus.net/ignusdei/funnies/AirshipC.jpg

But i haven't got a clue as to how to render those.

can anyone help me out?

jmBoekestein
05-09-2005, 02:34 AM
Homeworld 3?

btw, your thread's going to be moved...:)

I was going to say :wise:press <F10> and then <enter>, but it's 2d I see. I'd suggest to check over at the 2d forum in a wihile, to look for your thread I guess.

Nathellion
05-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Oh...I thought we were getting together to talk about making bombs...:twisted:

jmBoekestein
05-09-2005, 02:56 AM
Funny you should say that, I just thought I saw an FBI server ligt up.

IgnusDei
05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
well, i was kinda hoping that the artists here would gather all their photoshop tricks as to make things burn and go up in smoke, or at the very least PM me a short tutorial.

jmBoekestein
05-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Well what does that mean?

What do you think we are? Vendor machines? I feel rather insulted...ACTUALLY...:rolleyes:

IgnusDei
05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
i got a quarter. it's shiny.

jmBoekestein
05-09-2005, 03:07 PM
gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme...

IgnusDei
05-09-2005, 03:21 PM
/me inserts quarter.

jmBoekestein
05-09-2005, 10:53 PM
kerclick...crnk-hwp, you are granted one analysis... please wait for the system to enable it's intelligence...

...:surprised...

error...systems not found...press <F1> to continue...

*blip*

hey :cool:I just swallowed a quarter :D

IgnusDei
05-10-2005, 01:21 AM
well, to be more specific, i'm trying to render trails of flames that slowly turn into black smoke. i think i can do it, but i can't seem to find the right brush that will let me do this quickly.

EDIT

kinda like this: http://www.ryanchurch.com/ryanchurch_image001.htm

Peddy
05-10-2005, 01:37 AM
you need the Studio Professional version of Painter that has the smoke-trails in the presets aka "Ryan Church" brush packages. ive seen it bundled before, and its fantastic!

Lunatique
05-10-2005, 03:30 AM
1) Observe real smoke and fire in videos, photos, in real life..etc.

2) Learn how to use the brushes in your chosen painting software effectively.

3) Refer to your observation material in #1, and then try to paint something like it.

4) If you don't know how to paint in the first place, then that's something you need to work on, and it takes a lot of time and practice and observation. It usually takes years for someone to get goodat it.

jmBoekestein
05-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Well actually, try working with the coloursampler too, you pick some colours for the fire of the image itself, then use those to paint in flames. then slowly overpaint with the smoke colour, afterwards you could blend light colours into the smoke. while blending you'll probably find some colours you want to use elsewhere in the smoke, so keep that itchy finger on the alt buton, :beer:

I've had a site recommended to me for all sorts of brushes, I think it was www.creativemac.com something like that. Probably something useful for clouds works best.

't was a fun encounter my friend. I do so love nibbling quarters.:wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2005, 02:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.