PDA

View Full Version : Webdesign section on CGtalk?

Somhairle
05-08-2005, 05:44 PM
I believe that since the majority of us design and build our own websites, etc that there should be a "web design" section somewhere here. I personally have spent a lot of time looking for the best programs, layouts, etc to build my website (now nearly finished).

* Tips on best portfolio layouts for browser/resolution combatability.
* How to best present your video files, whats best? codecs, etc
* Links to the best domain registers, hosts, etc
* Special coding section (image popups, fullscreen, guestbooks, etc)

After all, the most important thing that shows our work to the world is our websites!

What do ya think?

- Somhairle

lowkey
05-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Naaaaaaw, I don't think this to be a good idea: there's lot's of great forums out there exclusively dedicated to webdesign and CGTalk already has become a lil' too overcrowded for my tastes lately.

Don't let this place become a one-stop-solution for any potential design need, pleeeeease!

dotTom
05-08-2005, 06:01 PM
I think this is a bad idea, there are dozens of good and hundreds of bad, dedicated, web design sites out there. The internet compresses physical distance, no need to have a web design forum here, just book mark the one you like somewhere else.

Somhairle
05-08-2005, 06:08 PM
I know theres some great forums, etc out there already.

But I havn't seen any dedicated to the creative artist like ourselves here. something that gives us a basic of what a good starting point would be, etc.

and just to clarify, its one link "Web Design" with not "dreamweaver this", "front page that".

maybe "Portfolios - Webdesign" or something similar. I look at CGtalk as a place for "springboards" to up my artistic ability, rather than a "one-stop-solution". I think would be a great resource MAINLY relating to porfolios rather than any old html "what does the tag "body" mean?" kinda help.

biocandy
05-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Just don't...

theCloudmover
05-08-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure...

As someone who's learning Dreamweaver MX 2004 and deep into my OWN website redesign at this very minute, any help I could get would be a godsend. :banghead: As you stated, good website design is important-- almost as important as the work it showcases but I don't know if a web forum would fit with the image Ballistic Media is trying to promote.

There are already other forums and resources available for web design on the net and
the Web Design forum here on cgtalk would be have to be massive to even begin to do subject justice.

What I would be interested in seeing would be a WEBSITE SHOWCASE forum for an honest critique of each others websites.

So many artists have these LARGE flash based websites that take forever to load. It is a complete turnoff for someone who doesn't have a broadband connection and for someone with one, (me) it's unconscionable that a web-master would design any site that takes more than a few seconds to load before one even gets to the content!

An award for best artist's website of the week might be cool...

heavyness
05-08-2005, 06:24 PM
instead we should have a PROFESSIONAL forum that deals with resumes, websites, cover letters, interviews, and how to present yourself and your work.

this had been brought up in the past, so i don't know if this will lead to anything. if i remember correctly, we use to have a Flash forum, but most of the time it was people asking questions on their website, so it would fit in the PROFESSIONAL forum.

but times are changing, you never know.

ghopper
05-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Not so sure it's a good idea.

Use these sites instead:

www.sitepoint.com
www.designerstalk.com/forums/
www.yayhooray.com

paperclip
05-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I like the idea of a portfolio review forum- suggestions & crits as to how your website is going.

_slvl
05-08-2005, 09:17 PM
I don't think a -WEB-design section is needed. However, an interface design section, it's more the graphic side and can apply to anything with an interface (like cd-rom, dvd, etc.), could be added value.

It shouldn't become something with only post like "how do I make this kind of button", because there are enough tutorials on make those.

The most difficult part in interface design is how to make it look cool and still be usable. For those kind of problems one can always use a little extra advice.
It can encourage people to take a different POV on the concept of interface design.

So, For me it would be NO, unless... (it covers only the graphic side of the story, for the technical stuff there are more than enough alternatives)

edit: and the portfolio/presentation idea would be a yes. It happens to be I am working on my own PF site and going by my instincts and looking at other peoples portfolios, hooping it turns out altight.

It is more the site layout (what do I put where) part that's the most challenging. :)

durbdk
05-09-2005, 09:11 AM
@ Kole,

Now THAT sounds like a winning idea!

A web forum isn't something that would benifit us, like lowkey said, there are many excellent forums online already, just because htey aren't CGTalk doesn't mean they aren't good.

dotTom
05-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Couldn't we just maintain a bunch of links (say 5) to the current community rated best external web design sites in the CGTalk FAQ? Or maybe have a section or page on CGTalk that is there explicitly with the remit to link to offsite resources that may be of interest to CGTalk users? I think CGTalk benefits strongly from its tightly defined remit.

jampoz
05-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Well I'm making my own site right now and the background is full 3d, sucks not being able to post it here

Web Design is art the same way 3D and 2D design is art, counting that web design is made up of one of 'em... why not include it in CGtalk?

Web Design is CG

Somhairle
05-09-2005, 03:24 PM
I know the feeling jampoz.

but......lol - oh well this idea dive-bombed fast as hell. Still though, it was worth a try! :)

@ kole & dotTom: yep! good ideas.

- Somhairle

jampoz
05-10-2005, 05:30 AM
I'm afraid Leonard already spoke about this issue in the Illustrator forum thread, read it right now

Too bad but hey, won't make CGtalk less beautiful than it already is, just amen and lets search for cool WD links

JamesBPM
06-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Got a webpage design finished, and wish to show it off to the world... why not post it as a 2D wip, or a finished piece... the art of page layout, and the art within... no need for an xtra forum... :)

jampoz
06-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Wise words, I'll follow them :)

Darktwin
06-06-2005, 07:53 PM
I just don't think this is a good idea, there are plenty of other sites out there that are specifically for web design.

jampoz
06-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Don't think the fact that there are other sites is a good reason

I mean there are other forums about Animation and 2D Drawings too...

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2005, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.