PDA

View Full Version : HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE teaser Trailer

RobertoOrtiz
05-08-2005, 03:38 PM
>>Link<< (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/harry_potter/thegobletoffire/)

-R

Geta-Ve
05-08-2005, 03:48 PM
apart from it being 20 by 100 pixels...... that was pretty slick, the CG that I could see looked damn fine :)

Thanks for the link rob!

Jaycee77
05-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Looks pretty cool, I will check this out. You just know this is going to make buckets of cash like all the other ones.

swardson
05-08-2005, 06:09 PM
im so psyched for this one... the 4th book was and is my favorite of all 5 books. And man those effects (yet minimal thus far) looked friggen awesome. Just as the books got more adult and dark as they progress, so seem to be the movies with the effects :thumbsup:

::eagerly awaits a theatrical trailer and the movie::

Slurry
05-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I love the books and I love the movies. Something to look forward to every year!

The mer-people and the dragon look wicked.

Thanks for the link.

Art

Damm
05-08-2005, 07:41 PM
@ musicraker

You're so right, i can't wait to see this one :D so i hope that it's gonna be a world premieré in November

Harry D'Amour
05-08-2005, 07:57 PM
It looks good. But the third film was a bit of a disappointment at least for me, I thought they handled the story very sloppy. The fourth book is much bigger and therefore it could be a let down again. I hope they show the quidditch tournament and the beginning at the Riddlers old house and ofcoure the dark and powerful end.

sinnic
05-08-2005, 07:59 PM
My main homie Voldemort is gonna be tha bomb in this yo!

I love comparing my original perception to what the movie looks like. For example, the dragon was bigger in my mind, but the maze was A LOT smaller. I am very excited for it :applause:.

Empath
05-08-2005, 08:30 PM
It looks good. But the third film was a bit of a disappointment at least for me, I thought they handled the story very sloppy. The fourth book is much bigger and therefore it could be a let down again. I hope they show the quidditch tournament and the beginning at the Riddlers old house and ofcoure the dark and powerful end.

They sure do. :applause: All in all the movie will be two and a half hours, they crammed in as much as they felt they possibly could.
Yeah, the third was... different, still not sure what I think of it. But this looks to take the good aspects from the last few and from the looks of things will be excellent.

leigh
05-08-2005, 08:32 PM
I think I just wet my pants!! This is my most favourite book in the series so far so I am particularly excited about this film! The mermaids look suitably creepy and the fight with the dragon in the pit looks exactly how I imagined it would.

:D

malducin
05-08-2005, 09:30 PM
I hope they show the quidditch tournament

Yes, apprently they aer working on it as we speak.

apart from it being 20 by 100 pixels

MuggleNet has higher quality versions of the trailer, previews and Daily Express scans:

Dragon (http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=gof/dragon_gof.jpg)
Bigger trailer (http://movies.apple.com/movies/wb/harry_potter_goblet/hp_gobletoffire_m480.mov)

hypercube
05-08-2005, 09:36 PM
They had a couple of cool 'featurettes' played during Chamber of Secrets last night (watched it because it was in HD and there was F-A else on) also, looks great so far. And the vfx look tight as usual!

I do hope they have enough movie there to fit the increasingly complicated and longer page length books into, I agree the last movie was a little rushed feeling because of that. I definitely liked the 4th book a lot too, the whole series really seemed to kick into gear then, and the stakes got raised. Can't wait to see it.

Fede
05-08-2005, 09:38 PM
OOOhhhoo, man i've been waiting soo long to see more of this. I can't wait till it's released. That dragon look way cool, if it's better than the ones on Reign of fire i'll kak.

Pitty those kids are growing so quickly, they should have given them some roids or something to keep them small :twisted:

I must be honest, i'm such a sucker for the Animated WB logo adapted to the movie's look, great work.

@ Leigh, you like can to have arready forgot ingrish! just kidding

This is my most favourite book

Per-Anders
05-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Damn... that looks great! Looks like it might bring the series back on track after the last one :) I can't wait!

Geta-Ve
05-08-2005, 11:28 PM
malducin - thanks for the links man!

as per the length, that just brings a HUGE tear to my eye... way way to short. :(

maybe we will get lucky and they will surprise us with a "to be continued" :p

Jozvex
05-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Wow! I hope it's really great, the dragon looks nice!

DTAC
05-09-2005, 04:33 AM
High resolution trailer. A million times better!!

http://movies.apple.com/movies/wb/harry_potter_goblet/hp_gobletoffire_m480.mov

Per-Anders
05-09-2005, 04:36 AM
Do you guys know you can change the size simply by changing your quicktime speed settings? I have mine on intranet/lan so it brings up the largest size straight away.

opus13
05-09-2005, 06:30 AM
dammit! i thought this was set for a midsummer release!

&^%$ing november?!? :sad:

malducin
05-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Do you guys know you can change the size simply by changing your quicktime speed settings? I have mine on intranet/lan so it brings up the largest size straight away.

Hey nice to know. I guess it's one of those things you just click through during installation without much thought.

Pyke
05-09-2005, 09:07 AM
@ Leigh, you like can to have arready forgot ingrish! just kidding

Oh gawd that was funny....

grundgedanke
05-09-2005, 10:14 AM
beside the fact that this book is also my favourite one, the movie seems to look MUCH better than the ones before ... can´t wait ... but hey, the new book is not far away and will help to make the waiting time shorter :-)

MarieMJS
05-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Wow....Looks really great...
This also one my favorite book in the serie, so lets hope that Newell is gonna make a great adaptation...
But on the other hand I also loved Cuaron version of POA, even if it was kinda different from the book, it was a much better movie that the first 2...
A good mix between great adaptation and the director´s style would be perfect ;)

November seems really far right now...Cant wait :D

JulianHo
05-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Fanboy Mode Activated. :bounce:

nickepstein
05-09-2005, 11:57 AM
im working on the under/over water sequences right now and i haven't read the books or really been a fan of the past movies (part 3 was easily my favourite in terms of direction and mood - we did the hippogriff too),
BUT, i have to say im really excited about seeing this one, and that dragon looks %^$&*£ awesome!!!

shame they put my shot in the trailer unfinished, and without a decent grade but i suppose its early days yet...

MasterZap
05-09-2005, 05:53 PM
shame they put my shot in the trailer unfinished, and without a decent grade but i suppose its early days yet...

Assuming you are talking about the underwater creature shot? Yeah, that looked a bit "not quite done yet". Since you are under water, have you tried some sub surface scattering... *badoum-psch* :)

Honestly though, you could always try misss_fast (http://www.z4p.com/sss/skin-shading-demo-new.mov) on it.... ;)

/Z

cg_freek
05-09-2005, 11:06 PM
It looked like it has subsurface scattering on it, pause it and look at the hair and skin.
I bet they use renderman for it, much faster than mental ray. I think it can do full raytracing nowadays?

Geta-Ve
05-10-2005, 01:24 AM
You know I didnt really like the third one so much.. while yes, it was more adult, the casting seemed to slip. In the first two the cast was EXACTLY how i pictured them (or better) then the third one came around and I didnt like alot of the casting choices.. I dont know if I will like the casting choices here either.. chris columbus really did know how to choose his cast :p

Pyke
05-10-2005, 07:23 AM
I love the new look they have been moving towards. Its ALOT more british than the first 2 (although I though that the directing of POA was a little 'lets see what cool camera effect we can put in here',). The hair, clothing, colour grading...all excellent.

I also like that we have seen these 3 actors growing up with the movies, not only in maturity, but also in acting ability. This is consistent with the books, as anyone who has read them can tell you, each book gets darker and darker, which is something that the actors abilitys couldnt really portray in the 1st movie.

I'm just wondering whats going to happen when the movie production overtakes the books. Simultanious release? Just halt the movies altogether until the book? Film it in secret with the actors and release it afterwards?

Slurry
05-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Book 6 comes out in a couple of months. Should be a safe bet the books will stay ahead of the movies. Only one left after July 16!

Art

malducin
05-10-2005, 09:08 AM
It depends how fast JK Rowling writes the last one, she might take a lot of time like she did for 5. Supposdely the 5th film will start filming early 2006 for a 2007 release.

MasterZap
05-10-2005, 12:18 PM
It looked like it has subsurface scattering on it, pause it and look at the hair and skin. Maybe, it's hard to tell over Quicktime and that wierd blacklevel thing they seem to have added on the QT. It may be fine. It looked wierd to me.

Even the artist himself in this very thread said it was an unfinished shot, so I'm not holding it against anybody that it looks like what it is - an unfinished shot. I'd worry if it looks like this in the final film.

But hey, I had worse. While it may have been a low budged production, I have had the simple wip 2d mockup animatic end up in the final film... and the nicely rendered true-3d shot only be visible in the behind-the-scenes documentary. LOL. :D

I bet they use renderman for it, much faster than mental ray. That's a popular myth: it is not necessarily faster for everything (especially things it was architecturally designed not to do).

Heck, the misss_fast_* shaders are called "fast" for a reason. ;)

/Z

nickepstein
05-10-2005, 02:46 PM
the whole thing is essentially done in renderman, but we have some neat tricks for certain things to speed them up. - there is a sss pass for all the creatures though (cant say more than that for obvious reasons). i havent read the books but i think the mermaid was destined to stand out - its supposed to be ugly, and 'uncomfortable'. i have seen some finished (almost) shots and they look very good, but i think the design was always going to draw comment (like the werewolf in pt 3)

the grade bugs me a little though - it just looks a little green and bright, and doesn't fit with the rest of the trailer, but these things always come together in the end, you've just got to have faith in the process!!

have to say im happy for the reaction to the harry swimming shot....

as for renderman vs mental ray? there must be a whole thread dedicated to this under lighting&rendering, but my 2 cents as a renderman user is this:

our commercials dept does some amazing stuff with mental ray, and it has got alot faster, and to be honest unless you have a super-pro renderman shader writer you will get alot further faster in mental ray, particuarly for broadcast work. however, renderman is much more suited to developed pipelines like ours, and to me at least (not a programmer but i can write rsl) its alot more open, and there are lots of possibilities for tricks to get around ray-tracing everything, and not having everything as geometry in your scene, but i havent had a huge amount of experience with mental ray (i think you can do archiving etc?)

nick

MasterZap
05-10-2005, 03:18 PM
havent read the books but i think the mermaid was destined to stand out - its supposed to be ugly, and 'uncomfortable'. Yes I think they they aint supposed to win no beauty context. I would actually picture them as slimier/more gross. ;)

but these things always come together in the end, you've just got to have faith in the process!! Well, not always. I know the guys who did the "collapsing cows" shot in Constantine. Their beautifully rendered instantly-decaying flesh was converted into a black-and-black silhouette in the grading.

have to say im happy for the reaction to the harry swimming shot.... Yeah that was very ace. Your work too?

as for renderman vs mental ray? there must be a whole thread dedicated to this under lighting&rendering There probably is. Maybe we should move this there. But:

our commercials dept does some amazing stuff with mental ray, and it has got alot faster, and to be honest unless you have a super-pro renderman shader writer you will get alot further faster in mental ray, particuarly for broadcast work. No argument there.... ;)

however, renderman is much more suited to developed pipelines like ours I think you'll find the reality the pipeline may be more suited to renderman... or to whatever render tool was chosen when the pipeline was set up.

mr is quite pipeline capable in fact.

and to me at least (not a programmer but i can write rsl) its alot more open Well it is true you need at minimum a C compiler to extend mr (but you can download Visual C++ free these days from Microsoft). But I'm not sure if having an interpreted shading language makes it any more "open". That's open for debate. mr supports more types of shaders than rm, and I would say it is more extensible. But I'm somewhat... biased ;)

and there are lots of possibilities for tricks to get around ray-tracing everything Oh true indeed. mr has a competent scanline algorithm built in, and as a matter of fact, the aformentioned SSS shaders actually require no raytracing at all.

and not having everything as geometry in your scene, but i havent had a huge amount of experience with mental ray (i think you can do archiving etc?) Yes that's nice, but you can do this in mr as well, with geometry shades that run on-demand when a ray hits their bounding box.

As a matter of fact, architecturally, everything is on-demand in mr. In principle, the 1st thing mr does is to save the file, only, it notices its not done yet. So it renders it, by taking each little tile and putting it in the file. But each tile is not done yet, so it sends it out to be rendered to some CPU that is available. But the tile needs geometry that isn't even tesselated yet, or even loaded yet, so it does. And it may need a segment of some shadowmap, so that shadowmap gets created. On demant. And only the bit that is needed.

The whole data flow is on-demand based. It's very nifty actually. But that's for another thread. Or PM me if you have queries.

/Z

rstratton
05-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I had just gotten the feeling that they were just trying to pump these movies out and didn't care if they were good or not but this teaser really makes the forth one look cool....can't wait to see it

nickepstein
05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
perhaps they didn't want to scare the kids too much?!
anyways - i didnt make this clear in my last post but the harry swimming shot is mine, but both are unfinished in the trailer - i hardly did any work on that mermaid shot so i cant take any credit for that.

thats interested to know about mr - i imagine it does the sss a similar way to how you would do it with renderman without raytracing (shadowmaps)? i did think it had something equivalent to renderman's delayed read archives, infact it seems like its alot less work for the user in mr (i.e. none at all!) - open is probably not the word i should have used, as if you are a programmer i imagine mr is equally or perhaps more open than renderman - perhaps 'accessible' was the word i was looking for!

cheers for the info

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.