PDA

View Full Version : How is your city? Artwise!

ashakarc
05-08-2005, 01:09 PM
20 years a go, I lived in Baghdad. I had great time going to art galleries, exhibitions, seminars, festivals besides socializing with prominent artists, discussing art and life, participating in exhibition. The whole vibe of art culture was just amazing. I'm not sure if I can say the same about Vancouver. Vancouverites help me here. The city is just beautiful, but going to art galleries is like visiting cemeteries. They are empty with no souls. The type of artwork is quite diverse,poor and mostly to hang on the wall of a modern living room. Is this common nowadays, please tell me not.
How is it there, on your part of the globe?

jmBoekestein
05-08-2005, 01:13 PM
In my town its horrifying!!! We have one museum where some artifacts are shown rather bluntly and the local gallery is in an abandoned shoopping building, and I can tell you, the art on display there does NOT fit the theme.

NOOB!
05-08-2005, 01:13 PM
well i'm in london,so theres ten billion pieces of royal/modern art everywhere.

i'm not really into *modern art* over here though,pictures of orange squares n dots on a page don't satisfy me.

TheCleaner
05-08-2005, 01:25 PM
we are currently having a new art gallery built where i am in teesside.. but newcastle is very close, with a big variety of galleries.. also middlesbrough host one of only 4 soley art college in the country, and teesside uni is very well know for its CG.. alot of people will have hard of the Animex Festival, which teesside uni hosts

all in all, art here is pretty good

i agree with Nubian, alot of the contemporary art is of pretty poor standard, though the art i do at college could be considered the same to a degree.. i like futurist art, for its ability to express movement so well.. this is a recent exam piece i did last week

http://img212.echo.cx/img212/439/atthefinish8vi.th.jpg (http://img19.echo.cx/img19/5348/atthefinish4hf.jpg)

The canvas is urm, well i think the longest plane is around 1.5m

Its not as bad as a big white wall, with a red dot, which symbolises the artist lonelyness *apparently* (more like a scam to do little work, for lots of money)

Kargokultti
05-08-2005, 10:18 PM
It's a different thing if you know or know of the artists.

A friend was describing her classmate's thesis art show, particularly a piece which the classmate had realized from her own hair that she had been collecting. My friend seemed to see something significant in the piece, I just remembered something similar I'd seen on TV. I thought to myself "That's been done a million times".

Then I described my cousin's thesis art show to my friend: how there was a room filled with tables so as you didn't walk on the floor but on the tables, how there was this huge highway sign which had nothing on it. Yet another piece was a reconstructed office cubicle with someone asleep at the desk, which you could onle see through door with a pane of knobbly glass.

I could see my friend's eyes glazing.

An artwork is very rarely interesting if you don't know anything of it's origins.

orion 77
05-08-2005, 10:51 PM
my city isnt too bad (liverpool, england) we have the tate gallery, the walker gallery and the open eye gallery. the tate is a nationaly renowned gallery and despite not being in london has hosted all the major contemporary artists over the past thirty years. the walker has one of the best portrait galleries in europe and has also hosted works by turner and constable.

there is also a respectable art scene here but as with most fine art groups its a very clique like mindset and hard to fit it, most of them are younger artists who tend to make a name here then bugger off to london for more money.

some small galleries are beginning to explore technological based stuff like the FACT film theatre and the open eye gallery so there is some scope for artists who use cg as their preffered medium but its very small.

Lunatique
05-09-2005, 05:58 AM
The city I live in is all about traditional Chinese watercolor paintings, and it bores me to tears. All of that stuff looks the same to me. I grew up with it because my mother paints it, and I've seen countless tradtional chinese watercolor paintings from hundreds of different artists--famous or not. They just don't float my boat. I can appreciate the aura of that style, but it's a very dead-end IMO.

Lystmaler
05-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Well, we got an art thing where people can show their art to people. We call this “Kunst Banken” (The Art Bank).
They have some Photography, some painted art, filmed art, well there’s quite a big variety, but strangely enough I have to say that the people who run that place got a horrible taste in art according to my opinion. I’m moving out of here when I’m finished with my education tough.

erilaz
05-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Melbourne is supposed to be the arts centre of Australia... and I guess it is in many ways. It's usually what people come to Melbourne for: Theatre, opera, classical music, art galleries, art festivals... A lot goes on all the time. The film festival here is top-notch.

They're also started to set up street spaces for graffiti artists, as well as having a lot of street sculpture and very talented buskers.

The architecture is... varied. You only have to stand on the corner of Flinders and Swanston street to see how different design can be. On one corner there's a gothic cathedral, over the road there's a victorian train station, on the other corner there's a 1920's pub, and over from that is a ultra-modern convention centre.

A. Deranged
05-09-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry.. I know this is off topic, but.. *waves to Erilaz* Hello fellow melbournite!

erilaz
05-10-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm sorry.. I know this is off topic, but.. *waves to Erilaz* Hello fellow melbournite!
Heh! :wavey: I'm glad to see more melbourne people joining up! Now we return you to your regular art discussion...:)

Gord-MacDonald
05-10-2005, 01:42 AM
Heh! :wavey: I'm glad to see more melbourne people joining up! Now we return you to your regular art discussion...:)

hehe - erilaz - you crack me up! But seriously...:wise:

I live in Ottawa Canada. We have the National Gallery of Canada, which has a good solid collection - but hey - its not the Met, or the Prado or the...

A local art scene simply does not exist. (maybe thats why I spend alot of time here :) )

I went to The Ontario College of Art in Toronto - 30 years ago. Toronto has the Art Gallery of Ontario - great collection (esp. Henery Moore), and had a very vibrant art scene - (as I am still sure it does today).

Gord

Phade
05-10-2005, 02:07 AM
Art here (Maui, usa) primarily consists of the same people painting the
same sunset, or Jacaranda tree, or hillside, at the same time of the
year, year after year, to enter (and sell) in either the single "big"
yearly art show or sell at some gallery catering to tourists.

Occasionally (talking every few years+) there may be some semblance of
thought provoking artwork, but that would typically be coming from a
world tour show with 0 local artists involved.

ashakarc
05-10-2005, 03:23 AM
Hey Erilaz, thanks for the insight. What do you think of art culture in general vis-a-vis the perception of artists and the level of activity among the general population in Melbourne?

Gordonm: Man, I hoped for a brighter picture in Ottawa regarding the local art scene, but I must visit it for its architecture.

What is happening? why is it more or less the same in most parts of the world with the exception of few metropolitan areas. Is it the failure of artists to keep up, or just urban socialization got a new meaning. I die for a cafe that I could just pop in, say hi to everybody and chat, dine, or coffee up while artwork is being exhibited, movie is playing, musicians jamming around, and some decent library to pick up books from and discuss. I know, you could see these things in modern cafes as a decor only, but not the real thing.

Alert: Alienation ahead!

opus13
05-10-2005, 03:40 AM
boulder/denver, colorado

the city museum has some good stuff in rotation, but when you look at the smaller galleries, its the same pretentious crap over and over. the same stereotypical crap with teh same stereotypical neo-corporate gallery owners. that.. and psuedo southwest decor abounds.

blah. i want to go back to new york.

Gord-MacDonald
05-10-2005, 06:23 AM
What is happening? why is it more or less the same in most parts of the world with the exception of few metropolitan areas. Is it the failure of artists to keep up, or just urban socialization got a new meaning. I die for a cafe that I could just pop in, say hi to everybody and chat, dine, or coffee up while artwork is being exhibited, movie is playing, musicians jamming around, and some decent library to pick up books from and discuss. I know, you could see these things in modern cafes as a decor only, but not the real thing.

Alert: Alienation ahead!

Hmm... The internet might have something to do with it.

Gord

ashakarc
05-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Hmm... The internet might have something to do with it.

Gord
I don't know, partly may be. In general, urban social life is limited because of our wide associations..Reading about the Parisian life in early 20th century where artists, poets, philosophers, and musicians used to hang out together, collaborate, critique, more or less, similar things of what we have here at CGTalk, but face-to-face interaction. If this phenomenon where intelligentsia get to meet in one 'real' place is gone, then we are out of luck in what we can do to our society. There is some fantastic works exhibited here at CGTalk, it is only inspiring the few. Accessibility to art of the day is quite limited. Sorry for the grim colors, but I wish I am wrong.

cholbrow
05-11-2005, 05:32 PM
I like the natural histoty museum at UBC (vancouver) better then the art gallery here (Maybe i just like Haida art). Some of the smaller privatly owned gallerys are intersting too.

What you can do if your fed up with the art comunity in your area is make your own. A friend of mine at EA has a get together with other artists from work and has a "drawjam" as he calls it. My own crew takes a life drawing class every third thursday. Even doing speed paints on your lunch breaks is a good start. Especialy if you work with artists more skilled then you.

Basicly what im saying is... if your sad about your art comunity be proactive about it!

ashakarc
05-11-2005, 06:39 PM
I like the natural histoty museum at UBC (vancouver) better then the art gallery here (Maybe i just like Haida art). Some of the smaller privatly owned gallerys are intersting too.

What you can do if your fed up with the art comunity in your area is make your own. A friend of mine at EA has a get together with other artists from work and has a "drawjam" as he calls it. My own crew takes a life drawing class every third thursday. Even doing speed paints on your lunch breaks is a good start. Especialy if you work with artists more skilled then you.

Basicly what im saying is... if your sad about your art comunity be proactive about it!
Thanks. I don't think you got what I am talking about !! I am not an inactive person, nor sad about the art community. Cheers,

Jean Genie
05-16-2005, 03:55 AM

I was so amazed when I moved to Vancouver at how hard it is to meet people and gather. Quebec city is a lot livelier. There, you meet interesting people in the street, cafes, parks, bars, it doesn't really matter where. It's not an artistic heaven, though (the music scene is almost dead, the rest is kind if stagnating.) Montreal for that matter has the best of both worlds. The music scene is booming, there's a great number of places where you can meet and exchange. There's a feeling of something happening.

At the same time, Montreal's architecture is poor compared to Vancouver's. Here, every street has a building that amazes me. I guess you can't have everything.

Son_of_Skeletor
05-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Adelaide, south australia

Has some really nice art galleries which I never visit. I do like the festivals we have, and the youth art exhibitions at carclew in north adelaide are always worth a visit. I ended having my own pieces in there, with my work being used for all the advertising :thumbsup:

Aooogah
05-16-2005, 04:50 AM
If you have watched the movie Sideways, which is set where I live, you've pretty much seen the art the Santa Ynez Valley has to offer. Our art is wine, our science is horticulture.

dudeguy
05-16-2005, 09:23 AM
20 years a go, I lived in Baghdad. I had great time going to art galleries, exhibitions, seminars, festivals besides socializing with prominent artists, discussing art and life, participating in exhibition. The whole vibe of art culture was just amazing. I'm not sure if I can say the same about Vancouver. Vancouverites help me here. The city is just beautiful, but going to art galleries is like visiting cemeteries. They are empty with no souls. The type of artwork is quite diverse,poor and mostly to hang on the wall of a modern living room. Is this common nowadays, please tell me not.
How is it there, on your part of the globe?

This topic really hit home for me, firstly because I have been feeling the same way about the art scene in the city I live in and secondly, I wasn't too shocked to find the creator of this thread lives in the same city as me...Vancouver! This city is beautiful, but in terms of what is happening with arts and culture, it leaves a LOT to be desired. I get a good dose of art discussion at work, but I would really like to go to some cool galleries and see something really amazing, that inspires me, so far I haven't really felt that here. That's probably why I come to CGTalk, seeing what different artists are doing across the globe has really helped me stay inspired.
We had an art show at work that was set up like a gallery showing, with wine and food, it was really fun. There is stuff going on, but it's on a VERY small scale. Have you gone to Soma by Main and Broadway? It's a small gallery/cofee shop, in the back area, they have posters with most of the "art type" (art, fashion, food, music, festivals, shows) coming up in Vancouver and flyers in front. Might get you started in the right direction, but unfortunately still, we have a lot of growing to do here.

dudeguy
05-16-2005, 09:38 AM
I was so amazed when I moved to Vancouver at how hard it is to meet people and gather. Quebec city is a lot livelier. There, you meet interesting people in the street, cafes, parks, bars, it doesn't really matter where. It's not an artistic heaven, though (the music scene is almost dead, the rest is kind if stagnating.) Montreal for that matter has the best of both worlds. The music scene is booming, there's a great number of places where you can meet and exchange. There's a feeling of something happening.

At the same time, Montreal's architecture is poor compared to Vancouver's. Here, every street has a building that amazes me. I guess you can't have everything.

From everywhere I've been in Canada, climate wise Vancouver is the warmest place in Canada, but when it comes to the people, it's the coldest. It's definitely not an easy place to meet people, I find there's no sense of community here at all. I found in Quebec especially, the people were very friendly in comparison and it was really easy to meet people. Montreal seemed to have a lot going on, lots of really good artists and designers, music scene was great, festivals, Vancouver is missing a lot of that. I find it interesting that you think Montreal's architecture is poor compared to Vancouver, because I thought the complete opposite, maybe we're looking at different things? A lot of the buildings were older in Montreal, but I thought that was neat, they seemed to have some history and flavour to them. Interesting topic.

Jean Genie
05-16-2005, 05:37 PM
I find it interesting that you think Montreal's architecture is poor compared to Vancouver, because I thought the complete opposite, maybe we're looking at different things? A lot of the buildings were older in Montreal, but I thought that was neat, they seemed to have some history and flavour to them.

I guess that coming from Quebec city, Montreal's old architecture didn't get much from me except an "oh, that's nice" response. The rest of montreal is very blocky (not talking about the richer areas). Most buildings were probably built for factory workers and they are all very similar.

Vancouver on the other hand has an amazing architectural diversity. I guess it could be due to being built (or expanded) by people from very different cultures while Montreal was built before becoming so cosmopolitan. Or maybe Vancouver just has some very good architects.

What would you think?

ashakarc
05-16-2005, 05:57 PM
We had an art show at work that was set up like a gallery showing, with wine and food, it was really fun. There is stuff going on, but it's on a VERY small scale. Have you gone to Soma by Main and Broadway? It's a small gallery/cofee shop, in the back area, they have posters with most of the "art type" (art, fashion, food, music, festivals, shows) coming up in Vancouver and flyers in front. Might get you started in the right direction, but unfortunately still, we have a lot of growing to do here.

Yep, I go there sometimes, and you are right, you can get some flyers that lists the activities in and around Vancouver, but on a humble scale. In the back area, you can see an amazing painting for an aerial view of the city of Vancouver from the early 20th century, it shows how much the city has changed.
A free journal called 'WOO' published by the students of Emily Carr Institute has a calendar at the back pages with a list of the weekly art activities, not comprehensive but interesting. On May 26th, there is a reception for the opening of an art exhibition at Art Works Gallery on Cambie downtown, you might find it interesting, a friend of mine is one of the exhibitors.

In terms of architecture, Vancouver's is becoming a little more interesting with the work of Busby, Patckau, Chang, and others, besides some really interesting architecture by Ericsson. I never been in Montreal, but I hear there is some interesting architecture too, considering the historical district as a background for modern work. It is a factor, a big one when the city has rich heritage in art, and architecture, modern works will either look better than what they are or worse than what they are, just an urban fact!

Schwinnz
05-16-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm in Quebec city and really, this place is oh so boring !

No music scene, and artistic community is almost non-existent. I wish our mayor would have invested into places for shows and encouraged artistic development; but right now all we have is a city full of blue collars, insurance people and art related students that as soon as they get the opportunity will move to Montreal in an eyeblink.

I'm sure it has to do with the somewhat narrow minded people here, languages issues (almost french only for now), and the lack of strong invitation to immigration. Also it's hard to get around the city without a car. Many people complain about the bus system not covering the suburbs enough while almost everyone resides in these.

Quebec would be perfect for art and music and that's what I don't understand. Dirt cheap appartments, probably the most beautiful city in north america, very friendly people, and lots of real nice girls !

Kralle
05-16-2005, 06:40 PM
I live in Edmonton, and its a awesome city. When I take the bus to work it takes me 45minutes. the city is spit by a river, and theres lots of trees and things near downtown a big park. When your on the bridge connecting the city you have such a nice view.

this city is beautiful, just gotta get over the people

shivmoo
05-16-2005, 07:26 PM
cambridge in the uk..
if you like big old buildings, its paradise.... and you need to be in uni to see most of the stuff.. .although there are a couple of museums and stuff... real shame most of it is kept in uni

ThePatches
05-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Here in Pittsburgh we have like three art schools and museums or galleries on like every street. We have the Frick and the Mattress Factory. There's other galleries elsewhere in the city and you can pretty much get your art shown rather cheaply and easily.

dudeguy
05-30-2005, 08:08 AM
I guess that coming from Quebec city, Montreal's old architecture didn't get much from me except an "oh, that's nice" response. The rest of montreal is very blocky (not talking about the richer areas). Most buildings were probably built for factory workers and they are all very similar.

Vancouver on the other hand has an amazing architectural diversity. I guess it could be due to being built (or expanded) by people from very different cultures while Montreal was built before becoming so cosmopolitan. Or maybe Vancouver just has some very good architects.

What would you think? We're probaby thinking the same thing, but referring to different things. Coming from Quebec City, Montreal's old architecture probably doesn't stick out to you or strike you, same goes for me for Vancouver, I've been a while, so I don't really notice the architecture here. It all looks the same, just out of curiousity what architecture here sticks out to you?

Jean Genie
05-30-2005, 05:50 PM
We're probaby thinking the same thing, but referring to different things. Coming from Quebec City, Montreal's old architecture probably doesn't stick out to you or strike you, same goes for me for Vancouver, I've been a while, so I don't really notice the architecture here. It all looks the same, just out of curiousity what architecture here sticks out to you?

Well, it's hard to be specific. Not talking about Richmond or Burnaby which have a more suburban architecture, every street I find myself on has a building or a house that seems oddly shaped, dynamic in a way that I had not seen before. The kind of place that I think would be interesting to live in.

The thing is that even recently built series of appartement buildings have some kind of appeal. I'm still trying to grasp exactly what in those buildings/houses appeals to me.
Specific exemple: the central library is amazing to me, espescially the combination of indoor and outdoor qualities of its entrance.

ashakarc
05-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Well, it's hard to be specific. Not talking about Richmond or Burnaby which have a more suburban architecture, every street I find myself on has a building or a house that seems oddly shaped, dynamic in a way that I had not seen before. The kind of place that I think would be interesting to live in.

The thing is that even recently built series of appartement buildings have some kind of appeal. I'm still trying to grasp exactly what in those buildings/houses appeals to me.
Specific exemple: the central library is amazing to me, espescially the combination of indoor and outdoor qualities of its entrance.The Skytrain stations at Lougheed hwy are quite interesting, especially the award winning entry by Busby. The Waterfall building is really cool, by Granville Island, by Erricsson, Emily Carre Institute, by Patkau and so many others. But, I don't really find good architecture at the level of single family housing, not yet to say the least.

UnknownArtist
05-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Southern IL, is more like Art- Lack there of.... The closest Art Museum or Legitimate Museum in anyway is probably St. Louis Missouri. It sucks, guess thats the burden of living in the crappy place I am in.

PsyKon
05-31-2005, 02:34 PM
(hmm, first post at cgtalk :) )

I live in Winterthur, near Zuerich: Switzerland

We have here one big museum, one big "foto-only" museum, and about 3 other art-galeries.
There are also alot of small clubs and other places where young bands can play there first concerts. :)

So from this point, I realy like to live here :thumbsup:

PsyKon

PS. Please forgive me my crapy english.

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2005, 02:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.