PDA

View Full Version : making your own bluescreen

thedoc
05-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Setting up your own blue screen.

Hey there.

It's come to my attention that some of you like me probably can't afford to buy topclassblue and green screens. Int hat case i assume thta you guys either rent the services of another studio or you build a blue screen.

Please tell me the best way that you guys have gone about this... i want to build my own. If you can tell me what materials thta yoiu use and how you found them. I'd apreciate this very much.

BlueTide
05-08-2005, 03:14 PM
It's come to my attention that some of you like me probably can't afford to buy topclassblue and green screens. Int hat case i assume thta you guys either rent the services of another studio or you build a blue screen.

Please tell me the best way that you guys have gone about this... i want to build my own. If you can tell me what materials thta yoiu use and how you found them. I'd apreciate this very much.

Now, I probably can not speak about the _best_ way to do such a thing, but the times I've been doing keying on my own (read cheap) it has worked out none the less. The differences mainly affect the time you spend at post. Given that, I've done some pretty decent keys even with DV material but of course better formats make your life a little easier, in some cases a lot easier.

But, to the question. That depends on your needs and the size of the screen you are after. For some quick work we have here used simple A3 sized papers painted with chromapaint, available at your local cinematography store. If a bigger area is needed, you can use thin wooden panels and paint those. Keep in mind though that those may become rather difficult to move around but it is doable. If you go even further than that, I would start to recommend buing a fabric and use that. I have not tried painting the fabric which too might be doable.

Chromakeying is not exactly that dependant about the absolutely right colour, so you could even try some suitable fabrics even if they are not exactly chroma-coloured. That is since the modern keyers can deal with different colours quite well. More important would be correct lighting. Heck, we have even used plain blue walls at times to do quick prototyping.

Perhaps it's better to do your own tests, even with a simple DV cam and see what works for you. Have some paint and have a nice evening with those test. They dry quite quickly and you would only need something like a set of dedolights to try it out at your livingroom with some object put in front. I have here a gallon of Rosco Video Paint Chroma Key Green 5711 paint, which has worked quite ok.

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2005, 03:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.