PDA

View Full Version : what is maximum amount of faces for animating char

Gamoron
10-08-2002, 07:55 PM
I want to know what is going to be acceptable for animating a character. When the smoothed the char is currently 50000 faces.
for animating I can bring him down to 12516. Is this fine?

goosh
10-08-2002, 11:02 PM
You can do what you want

As long as your machine can hangle it :)

G

muckywetnoodle
10-09-2002, 12:48 AM
Yeah, usually it's a good idea to keep it low enough that you can preview your work real-time. If you have a model that is really high-res and won't allow you to preview real-time, you can always use temporary attached objects (boxes) so you can focus on the movement and timing. In my software and hardware config., usually above 2500 is too much.

Gamoron
10-09-2002, 01:52 AM
Thanks goosh and muckywetnoodle. I guess I'll set up a rig and see how things work and then change the model accordingly.
Cheers.

Frinsklen
10-15-2002, 10:27 AM
When animating, I always have the mesh hidden and work with the bones, so I don't quite care about how big the mesh is, I just play the bones animation in real time and it's fine for me.

I think 50,000 polygons for a smoothed character in a render it's ok, since it doesn't have anything to do with animation. My computer couldn't hadle your 12516 polygons at 25fps, I don't know about yours... :hmm:

Cheers

Chong
10-16-2002, 09:40 PM
Also, If you go with the boxes as mucky suggested, you should modify them to get them to fit the proportions of the actual model. This way, you won't have a bunch of unexpected interpenetrations when you show the hirez model. It'll also help you with your posing.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.