PDA

View Full Version : quadroped walk cycle......sort of...

MosaFacku
10-08-2002, 07:11 PM
i wanted to do a quadroped walk cycle...but i had IK Joe starin at me, beggin to be animated....so i combined the best of both worlds and KABOOM...now i have a quadroped walk cycle. now, some people may refer to this as a crawl....:surprised ...... but i like to think of it as a quadroped walk cycle.....:D . i'd like to hear what you guys think. rip it apart.

www.3dpirate.com/movies/IKJoeWalk.avi

thanks

:xtreme:

muckywetnoodle
10-09-2002, 01:56 AM
Nice start. I'd lift his feet and hands more so you can add some drag when the hands and feet are coming down (bend them upwards/back more) and also some follow through (flip them back when they leave the ground). The head I think would look better also if it were lower and swagged more.

MosaFacku
10-09-2002, 07:58 AM
thanks for the feedback. great suggestions.

bentllama
10-09-2002, 08:27 AM
- think more weight [*easier to pull curves back than to push curves forward...over animate then pull it back]

- head bobbing too much
[forward n back]

- straighten arms more on mid stride
that will really push the shoulderblades up... a needed item for an animal walk

- no rotation on elbows n knees
[ie:sway with the pole vector][the pole vector can be your best freind if used wisely]

- hands splay too early [should splay the most when weight is just ready to be over top the hand]

- hands and feet need to rotate back in y as they travel back in z
slightly

- planted items will rotate as they are about to leave the ground [as weight leaves them][held still under stress of weight and resistance of the joint/muscle then relax as weight leaving relieves the stress]

- stab leg with butter knife [animating in pain hones your timing] :)

MosaFacku
10-09-2002, 06:22 PM
animation was updated. thanks for the crits. fixed the head and the shoulders, stabbed leg with butter knife to hone timing, played with pole vectors, and most of the other things. somethin still isn't lookin quite right. thanks again for the advice!

Grayscale
10-09-2002, 11:13 PM
Mota,

I agree with the critiques. You always take them well, and fix them, so I see you having a very good future. Show me the Walk when you finalize it, so I can rip it apart for you . :) .
Also..
Bentllama....you stole my star! You can't use it until you get it tattooed on your arm like me. Mota will verify that it's there!

bentllama
10-10-2002, 01:48 AM
Gray,

That is the tat I am planning on getting... [across my whole back]

Anyway, I am redesigning my website and have always held a russian conrtructivist/russian propaganda poster style to my graphic design...

By the way I think I am older than you... so my star came first... :p :p :p :p :p

MosaFacku
10-10-2002, 08:44 AM
i dunno, grayscale is pretty old.......

bentllama
10-10-2002, 08:53 AM
Mosafacku, I was just poking fun...you know me... :)

MosaFacku
10-10-2002, 09:14 AM
damn you're quick to reply. i knew u were pokin fun.....i was pokin fun of grayscale being so damn old too........ :surprised

and yes, he bears the mark of almighty texaco

:twisted:

later

Grayscale
10-10-2002, 05:58 PM
TEXACO! OH no you didn't. It was not meant for that darnit.

Bentllama...I guess I can allow you to use my star.

Gentle Fury
10-11-2002, 06:26 AM
oh yeah i guess i should comment......oh wait i already did on aim......well grayscale isnt old!!! cuz if he were i would be, and im not, so if im not old then logic would dictate that he isnt old!!!!!

bentllama
10-11-2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Gentle Fury
oh yeah i guess i should comment......oh wait i already did on aim......well grayscale isnt old!!!

I know I know...just havin a little forum fun...

...good to see you guys here at cgtalk supporting your fellow peers...

MosaFacku
10-11-2002, 07:21 AM
yeah, u bunch of old farts. :p :p :p

Rogue
10-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Sorry MosaFacku, I've been under the gun lately....haven't checked in here that much. Once again, great job man!!!! :thumbsup:

Frinsklen
10-11-2002, 07:09 PM
Hi!,

I can't add much, but basically, the main flaw is that the sense of weight is lost, and instead of a crawl, it looks like someone who is sliding hands and feet on the floor. That's probably the most difficult thing to fix.
Also, the hands should close a bit when they're off the ground, kind of like a foot would do.

It looks pretty good anyway, great job.

Keep animating!
:thumbsup:

MosaFacku
10-11-2002, 07:46 PM
thanks guys,

weight is definately one of my weaker points. do u have any suggestions on how to add weight?

Grayscale
10-11-2002, 10:01 PM
Keep going to Chick-Fil-A like you always do...or Wendy's. I can see you improving your weight already.

(Insert Witty Laugh)

No...just, cut the timing of the key frames...things will move alittle faster and thus look heavier then originally. But weight isn't something you can just fix by doing that. It's just getting the timing and arcs of your motion down correctly. You aren't horrible at weight Mota...trust me, he doesn't look like he's underwater...or in deep space. So...just alittle bit of tweaking here...a tad more there, and you'll be fine. You know you are always getting better each day...just keep up the good work.

The Almighty...(and unmodest) GRAYSCALE

bentllama
10-12-2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Grayscale
Keep going to Chick-Fil-A like you always do...or Wendy's. I can see you improving your weight already.

I knew MosaFacku was full o sh!t! :p :p :p

just kiddin MosaFacku

Keep eatin that crap and you'll be living in 5D!

MosaFacku
10-12-2002, 10:18 AM
don't llamas eat anything and everything??

bentllama
10-12-2002, 10:38 AM
I will consume your soul, and devour your will to live.

MosaFacku
10-12-2002, 11:18 AM
i'll eat your hamster ALLIIIIIIIVVVVEEEE!!!!!!

:surprised

Grayscale
10-12-2002, 06:16 PM
Yes....when the Llamas of the world unite, there will be great destruction! (My former band's name was Yamllama)

So, Bent, we have the llama...the star...our utter dislike for Mosafacku... Are you sure we are not brothers?

And Mota....you need to do some crunches or something...the girls don't like the spare tire.:xtreme: :xtreme: :xtreme:

MosaFacku
10-12-2002, 07:41 PM
the girls don't like the spare tire.
yours does.

:surprised

ok ok, enough grayscale bashing. :) i just started on a new anim, and i'll post it one form or another when i finish. its longer, so it'll take me a while more. after that, IKJoe gets his much needed weight. :airguitar

thanks for the crits and comments. ....and the occasional make fun of mosafacku session....:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.