PDA

View Full Version : Leaves?

Ferretking186
05-07-2005, 01:29 AM
How on earth do you paint a tree with good looking leaves in Photoshop?
I am so lost!:D I cant find any tutorials on this either :( Any help is much appriciated!

Lunatique
05-07-2005, 03:59 AM
Your question is best answered by observing what you want to paint. Go and look at different types of trees and leaves. Walk around and study their structure. Look at how the leaves are at different angles, or cluster together in little groups, or reflect the light differently due to their angles, or how there's color variation between them, or how light shines through some of them, or some leaves/branches cast shadows on other leaves/branches. Take some photos to help you remember them.

How to paint in Photoshop is another question altogether. If you can paint, then you can paint in any software or traditional medium. But the key is, you have to know both how to paint and know what leaves actually look like in order to do what you are asking. Knowing how to paint comes from knowing how to apply paint with appropraite brushes--and that usually means using larger brushes to block in basic shapes first, then using smaller brushes to add detail. But how to apply paint alone won't do it, unless you have a good understanding of values, color, edges..etc. Look in the Art Theory & Tutorial Links sticky thread for all that stuff.

noen
05-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Don't try to paint every single leaf, My god that would be nuts. Mass, think in terms of mass and form and paint *that*. Then just suggest the details.

I have a hard time not seeing trees as having great hands waving at me. Arms raised to the sky. Trees are spiritual beings and the Nightwalker moves among them, you know that, right?

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2005, 05:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.