PDA

View Full Version : To All of my Dutch friends at DSG

Gord-MacDonald
05-06-2005, 10:19 PM
To All of my Dutch friends at DSG:

It is 60 years since your liberation. I would like to take this opportunity to reflect on its importance.

As a Canadian, I feel proud that my countrymen played such an important role in bringing about that day.

I live in Ottawa, where every year 3,000,000 (thats right three million!!!) tulips, given as a gift to Canadians, from the Dutch bloom in all of their glory. I am very busy trying to finish master-servant, but it would be great to go down and see this spectacular site - as I do every year.

from the tulip festival website:

"It was on Parliament Hill that Canada first began its love affair with the tulip. It was here, in 1945, that Canada planted some of the 100,000 tulip bulbs given by Holland as a thank you for providing safe haven for members of the Dutch Royal Family and the role of Canadian Veterans during the Second World War. Five decades later, the Canadian Tulip Festival is now the largest tulip festival in the world. "

http://www.tulipfestival.ca/en/index.php

Gord

paintbox
05-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Thank you for your kind words, even though I can't even imagine the horrors of WW II, every year I am deeply grateful to the people who liberated us from that dark time. People who were willing to fight and in some cases, sacrifice their lives in order to free Europe. Only when you are not free can you appreciate the tremendous freedom we have in this day and age, amonst others the freedom to express ourselves freely in our art.

Personally I didn't know this gift from our country existed before now, so I am glad to have seen it, it's a wonderful gesture I think.

yonna
05-06-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm surprised there are Canadians other than veterans who celebrate this. Maybe thats why the reason of the tulips; to make the newer generation remember. At the 50th anniversary i was there to see the old Canadian veterans marching and even received an canadian dollar which i still have... :)

Supervlieg
05-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Cheers mate :beer:

Gord-MacDonald
05-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Ya, Canadians are very proud of our contribution to defeating the fascism - (although we feel a little like unsung heroes).
Canada was one of three national armies to land at Normandy during d-day (we know who the other two armies were ;)).
By the end of ww2, Canada had the 3rd largest navy in the world, and arguably the 4th largest army - how times have changed!

My father lost 2 brothers (Ian and Neil) earlier in the war (1940) - in spite of that, both he his sister served overseas. My father (now 80) was in the Royal Canadian Air Force - when he got to Europe - he landed in Eindhoven Holland, and served in Belguim and Germany, and my aunt (now 86) was a nurse serving in England. They are both still very sad about their lost brothers.

some pics from the 2004 fest:
http://www.tulipfestival.ca/en/PhotoGallery/index.php

one of my early DSG sketches
(remember - the week we did different countries?):

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=feature/twohats/th_monument

http://cg2020.com/dailysketch/twohatsottawa_5.jpg

Gord

Cyanid
05-07-2005, 09:13 AM
yay i didn't even know of the tulips.
you should come to the netherlands in the spring then you will see REALLY much tulips :bounce:

thx1138
05-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Actually we have so many Tulips left, we just send them over to however wants them :D

Anyways, :bowdown: :beer: to the Canadian people.
(Can't say the same for their goverment though.......)

paperclip
05-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm proud to be 1/4 canuck today! :D

Art2
05-07-2005, 10:41 AM
As a Canadian, I feel proud that my countrymen played such an important role in bringing about that day.
Gord

And so you should Gord. I remember when I was a kid, I saw this book about the liberation of my old village. The pictures of Canadians fighting from door to door made a very big impact.

And we send you 3.000.000 Tulips for your help... :scream:?!
And lots of Dutch immigrants to boot... hope they're useful :D

:beer:

Gord-MacDonald
05-07-2005, 05:46 PM
(Can't say the same for their goverment though.......)

neither can we!!!

hezz
05-07-2005, 07:02 PM

I cant imagine how it would have been here 60 years ago. But the liberation must have been fun, since it has caused a wave of newborns.

Gord-MacDonald
05-08-2005, 02:29 AM
Paintbox - tulips rock!

jŚnnis - big efforts are being to keep their legacy alive

Supervlieg - likewise!

Cyanid - I'd love to, maybe someday

thx1138 - I'll take em!

paperclip - interesting - I'm about 1/8 Irish (but mostly a Scot)

Art2 - ya my wife runs a home daycare - one of her client families is 100% Dutch-Canadian - 2nd generation - great people (we have cared for 2 of their children). One set of their grandparents were posthumously honoured by the Dutch Government for protecting, and hiding Jewish families, during the darkest days.

hezz - hehe yup, one can only hazzard to guess at how many folks are around as a result of that 'party'.

Cheers,
Gord

ps: gosh, with all of these wonderful 'vibes', I am getting a little 'misty eyed' :)

Art2
05-08-2005, 11:41 AM
One set of their grandparents were posthumously honoured by the Dutch Government for protecting, and hiding Jewish families, during the darkest days.

My wife's family were hiding downed British airmen during the war.
Besides that it gives you a feeling of pride, it also reminds me of episodes of "Alo, Alo"... :)

hezz
05-08-2005, 01:00 PM
My wife's family were hiding downed British airmen during the war.
Besides that it gives you a feeling of pride, it also reminds me of episodes of "Alo, Alo"... :)

you've got 10 seconds to unscrew your nuts :scream:

my grandmother gave shelter to some travelling jewish people.

Art2
05-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Hezz, I really admire people like your grantmother.
Sometimes it's hard to imagine the courage those people had.
Young folk seem to forget all about the war, I'm glad you didn't.

jmBoekestein
05-08-2005, 01:59 PM
*sob*

Well, maybe I can say this.

Thanks for all the brave efforts your people have put in to give us all alot of freedom, which I most certainly enjoy as much as I can. Ya just gotta love 'em aint ya!!!

Gord-MacDonald
05-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the brave efforts your people have put in to give us all alot of freedom, which I most certainly enjoy as much as I can. Ya just gotta love 'em aint ya!!!

yup we all enjoy it (freedom) :thumbsup:

Gord

ysvry
05-09-2005, 03:57 AM
thx for liberating us now plz go and liberate Irak .

robinayles
05-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Art2 - interesting new Avatar...I think. But I'm not sure I get it...is that a rose? Is the "as you wish" from Princess Bride?

I am very fortunate that I'm too young to have had parents involved in WWII and it was a generation slightly older than mine who went to Vietnam. But my father-in-law was a very young man when he joined the US Army in the early days of WWII. He was a turret gunner and bombadier in a B-24 Liberator called "Pistol Packin' Mama." At the time she was the most highly decorated plane and crew of any B-24 in the European theatre of war. She actually participated in more battles and was more highly decorated than the much more famous "Memphis Belle."

I have been lucky enough to travel a bit in England and Europe. It astonishes me to think of that whole area and what it must have been like during the war. There are many places left as a bombed out reminder/tribute to those fallen during the war. I'm so glad that Europe is a friendly place today, and who would have ever thought a common currency would be possible after such animosity!

Canadians are great people, Gordon! I love Canada...its a lot similar to the US in many ways, so I feel very at home there. If I ever decide to freeze my buns off in the snow some winter, I hope to be able to go to Banff/Lake Louise to do so. From all the pics I've seen and stories I've heard it is fabulous. I did go to Toronto and like that city a lot too. But for the most part, I'm a Texan through and through. I much prefer the warm climate! Its supposed to be about 85 degrees today in Dallas - how about Canada, eh?

Congrats to all the free Dutch and the Canadians who made it possible!!

-Robin

PS - ysvry, the Americans are working very hard to do just that - but we sure could use a little more help from our friends and neighbors! :) I don't know how most people feel about it, but most Americans are very happy to see our good friend Tony Blair get another term!

Art2
05-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Art2 - interesting new Avatar...I think. But I'm not sure I get it...is that a rose? Is the "as you wish" from Princess Bride?

No, it's a StarWars thing :D

Glad to have you back Robin!

Gord-MacDonald
05-10-2005, 06:38 AM
But for the most part, I'm a Texan through and through. I much prefer the warm climate! Its supposed to be about 85 degrees today in Dallas - how about Canada, eh?

-Robin

PS - ysvry, the Americans are working very hard to do just that - but we sure could use a little more help from our friends and neighbors! :) I don't know how most people feel about it, but most Americans are very happy to see our good friend Tony Blair get another term!

Hi Robin - long time no see!

Actually not bad - 70 degrees (although 3 months ago it was -20 ).
Hey - you Yanks were there to (in a big way)!
Tony Blair is a good leader!
We will probably have an election real soon - winds of change?

Rudeone
05-16-2005, 12:51 AM
How nice of you to start this thread. Stories of that time are very much alive nowadays here in the netherlands. Our parents and grandparents, the witnesses of the horrors in those days helped keeping the stories alive, unfortunally a lot of witnesses of the war aren't gonna be around anymore for years and years to come and I think it's so important that every new generation knows what happened back then and what an important role the canedians (and american, british and polish) played in our liberation and how priveleged we our now thanx to them to live in such a wealthy and free country.

Last liberation day I decided to do a series of illustrations about the horrors of the war and the beauty of the liberation to do my part in keeping the story alive.

gordonm: a big thank you to your relatives and people for making it possible that I'm able to enjoy living life in a free country.

[QUOTE=robinayles]

QUOTE]

Well robinayles, it weren't just the canedians, the americans, british and polish played a big role in the liberation of the netherlands too, so a big thank you goes to those heroes too.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2005, 12:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.