PDA

View Full Version : "The Chronicles of Narnia"-trailer debuts tomorrow

Solothores
05-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Don't miss it guys! :thumbsup: For the german speakers, it will be screened on Saturday at ProSieben at about 8:14pm.

This week is a big week for fans of the Narnia books, both in the U.S. and abroad. Walden Media and Disney are planning the largest trailer debut ever this week when the first preview for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe gets released.

On Saturday May 7th, the trailer will make its appearance during ABC's network showing of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, effectively reaching what is without doubt the film's target audience. It will simultaneously air on the Disney Channel and be available online via AOL, Moviefone, and Verizon Wireless V CAST.

The blitz will continue over the proceeding 48 hours as the trailer, translated into 11 languages, appears on TV in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Korea, Latin America, and elsewhere. From there, print and online media will continue promotion of Wardrobe.

Source:
http://filmforce.ign.com/narnia/articles/609/609872p1.html

malducin
05-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Talk about conflict of interest or shrewed marketing, since the first previews of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire are also going to be shown during that telecast, with the trailer available Monday.

restlesscheese
05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Wow. First I have heard of this. It's kind of ironic showing the trailer to a Christian based film in the middle of a Harry Potter movie, but I guess it's the audience that really matters.:shrug: All I know is that if/when they remake The Silver Chair, they better get Tom Baker back as Puddleglum; he was perfect for the part. :D

Ordibble-Plop
05-07-2005, 01:14 AM
For anyone in NZ it will be shown on TV3 News (6pm) tonight (7th May).

jake_$teed
05-07-2005, 01:17 AM
I've heard all the shops are doing great stuff for this one.

lastchild7
05-07-2005, 02:50 AM
i cannot wait to see it

Rye
05-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Wow. First I have heard of this. It's kind of ironic showing the trailer to a Christian based film in the middle of a Harry Potter movie, but I guess it's the audience that really matters.:shrug: All I know is that if/when they remake The Silver Chair, they better get Tom Baker back as Puddleglum; he was perfect for the part. :D

I highly doubt the film is being made with Lewis' themes of Christianity in mind (though if I'm wrong that would be interesting to know). What better place to show the trailer of a movie about children entering a fantastic world with witches and mythological beasts, than during a movie about children entering a fantastic world with wizards, witches, magic, and mythological beasts?

chrisWhite
05-07-2005, 04:00 AM
I don't know, while often subtle, the Christianity would be really hard to pull out of the stories. I mean some of the stuff could be reshaped to be politically correct, but much is so intricately weaved into the story you'd destroy it to get rid of it.

That said, I know lots of non-Christians who love the books so it's not like it's that offensive to anyone.

Frankly, I can't wait for these movies, these were by favorite books as a kid and I've read them twice since. Not to mention listening to the radio theaters.

Ordibble-Plop
05-07-2005, 06:46 AM
I'd agree. C.S. Lewis made no bones about the fact that the story was an allegory, so unless they changed the story radically in the film it will still be able to be seen as an allegory.

Anyway, I've just seen it (yay for living at the beginning of the world). It looks absolutely beautiful but to me also very clean. Whereas LOTR went for gritty realism, TLTWTW looks to me to be more stylised. Perhaps this was a conscious decision to reflect the style of the books, which are more like a child's story than LOTR.

Solothores
05-07-2005, 08:01 PM
ok trailer is online :)

can be grabbed:

here (http://www.allocine.fr/webtv/acvision.asp?nopub=1&cvid=18389258&emission=&player=ASF&debit=T)

and

here (mirror) (http://www.narniaweb.com/img/trailer_french.wmv)

With french subtitles and .WMV though and far from high resolution.

Screenshot caps available here (http://www.narniaweb.com/gallery.asp?gall=24)

Cheers
Solo

Magnusv
05-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Oh yes! Wonderful.Thanks big time guys.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lastchild7
05-08-2005, 12:49 AM
ok trailer is online :)

can be grabbed:

here (http://www.allocine.fr/webtv/acvision.asp?nopub=1&cvid=18389258&emission=&player=ASF&debit=T)

and

here (mirror) (http://www.narniaweb.com/img/trailer_french.wmv)

With french subtitles and .WMV though and far from high resolution.

Screenshot caps available here (http://www.narniaweb.com/gallery.asp?gall=24)

Cheers
Solo

oh thank you thank u

t-toe
05-08-2005, 01:26 AM
...It's kind of ironic showing the trailer to a Christian based film in the middle of a Harry Potter movie...

hmmm... I think you underestimate Christian audiences. not every Christian believes the Harry Potter books/films should be boycotted. I certainly don't.

yeah, the Potter books involve witches and magic, but the stuff these guys do is not like real witchcraft at all. it's pure fantasy.

also, they just aired the Narnia trailer... WOW... I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. that whole LOTR-Christmas-anticipation feeling is coming back... ahhhh, how I've missed it!

Phantastica
05-08-2005, 04:31 AM
High-res english:

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefone/movies/2005/chroniclesofnarniathelionthewitchandthewardrobethe_019417/chroniclesofnarniathelionthewitchandthewardrobethe_trlr_01_high_dl.mov

Enjoy!

CelticArtist
05-08-2005, 06:24 AM
Woohoo, looks fantastic, i had goosebumps watching that trailer, i agree, it does look very clean, but that fits the style of the books, can't wait for this thing to come out.

DAZZAN
05-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Nice , well its nice to see the words The Lion,the witch and the Wardrobe ,but it could have been a lot better!

Long shot of the beavers on mountain.

No talking animals

No Turkish delight

Even Lucy going into the wardrobe seemed wrong,

No words of " He or Him" a build up to Aslan.

As a child Alsan seemed Huge twice as big as a normal lion,and his mane.

Any friction between Lucy & Edmund.

No glimpes of Mr Tumnus.

No Santa Claus.

A big fight,well ok.

Hitting people with this ,seems a very poor directors choice of edit.

A teaser with some of the above would have been better.

No meat on the bones

Gazortus
05-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Nice , well its nice to see the words The Lion,the witch and the Wardrobe ,but it could have been a lot better!

No talking animals

No Turkish delight

No glimpes of Mr Tumnus.

No Santa Claus.

A big fight,well ok.

No meat on the bones

Well it IS a teaser trailer. Seeing that principle photography ended recently, its a safe bet that most of that stuff if work in progress and won't be ready until the movie is released :). Its not like the movie is done now and they are sitting on it until Christmas.

rBrady
05-08-2005, 06:51 PM
edit...computer was signed in under rBrady and I didn't notice...

chrisWhite
05-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Yep, I agree, major goosebumps. As good as seeing the FOTR trailer for the first time. I hope Aslan looks a lot better though...:shrug:

MartinGFoster
05-09-2005, 02:06 AM
No meat on the bones

Well, funny you should say that, but most of the things you mentioned probably haven't even been started yet. Especially many of the creatures. Believe me, it was a tall order to even get what you saw ready for the teaser.

In any case, I'm sure there'll be lots more versions of trailers with different themes and all that. Disney and Walden seem to be willing to throw a lot of money at marketing for this movie.

Capel
05-09-2005, 06:53 AM

No talking animals

No Turkish delight

No glimpes of Mr Tumnus.

No Santa Claus.

A big fight,well ok.

No meat on the bones

oh, give it a rest. it's a teaser, man. and it was awesome, besides. this movie is gonna be beautiful. the music in particualr was a great choice.

none of the shots with Aslan had any other creatures in them to compare his size to, so we really don't know how big he is yet. and there were two shots of tumnus, btw. but you can't expect them to spoil it all in the teaser. LOTR didn't show us Gollums face in ANY of the Two Towers trailers, and they we're wise to do so.

come on, let's be positive.

rootdown
05-09-2005, 07:19 AM
holy balls, that movie is going to be sex pizza.

http://www.stupidhappy.com/images/misc/aslan_roaring_big.gif

can you argue with that? I submit that you cannot.

Neison
05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
High-res english:

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefone/movies/2005/chroniclesofnarniathelionthewitchandthewardrobethe_019417/chroniclesofnarniathelionthewitchandthewardrobethe_trlr_01_high_dl.mov

Enjoy!

rawr. Thanks!

Dutchman
05-09-2005, 08:04 PM
I quite liked the (teaser) trailer! I think this movie adventure can become quite popular - although I can't imagine 'cool 15 to 25-old people running for this film'... (maybe because it doesn't look to rude 'cause of the kids...?!)

By the way: the first half (til the girl steps into the wardrobe) reminded me of the 'Lemony Snicket' movie... with that childs and that unkind older-woman... :wise: :twisted:

I can't wait for a 'real trailer'! :bounce:

DAZZAN
05-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Well, funny you should say that, but most of the things you mentioned probably haven't even been started yet. Especially many of the creatures. Believe me, it was a tall order to even get what you saw ready for the teaser.

In any case, I'm sure there'll be lots more versions of trailers with different themes and all that. Disney and Walden seem to be willing to throw a lot of money at marketing for this movie.

But theyve done the beaver shot.Thats fx done.Loads of armies ,flying stuff.In fact loads and loads of fx looks done to me.

This was a teaser that showed a lot of nothing of the meat of the book?

Nothing!

It was a tall order to get a load of nothing together for a very long teaser.

It was a bad first trailer,a blurred Narnia.

So there.

Love

Edmund P

Terrell
05-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, I really liked the trailer quite a bit. The movie looks like it could be really good. However, the CG effects don't look so hot. I was hoping for a lot better than that. However, it is early being that this is a teaser, and I expect the CG will definitely improve. But it needs to improve by quite a bit.

Zack
05-09-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm not a christian, but I believe that the integrity of the story and characters is completely lost if the elusions to the bible are removed (even if they are to be seen as merely allusions to mythology). I've read all of the books several times, the first time being when I was very young (6-7), and even then I understood the connection between Aslan and Jesus.

The trailer looks great, and on the large scale the effects look great. I don't particularly like the look of Aslan. It just doesn't feel quite there, in realism.

Zack

Nitefyre
05-10-2005, 12:02 AM
I've been a fan of Narnia since I was little and hope they do a good job with it. As far as the TEASER trailer, its just that. Notice that about only a quarter of the actual trailer shows Narnia. They only showed you enough to get you excited, as far as what they included in it...I think thats a pretty harsh crit so faaaaar from release. Movies aren't shot in order of scene, we saw the beavers from afar but are they done with the close-up shots?? Do we know what shots are completed and which haven't?! Sorry but I think WETA has proved themselves with LOTR and will take the same care with this one regarding effects. The only thing I'm concerned is how well they did the storyline.

Zack
05-10-2005, 12:14 AM
WETA Workshop is working on this film, not WETA Digital (last I heard).

Zack

Nitefyre
05-10-2005, 12:24 AM
WETA Workshop is working on this film, not WETA Digital

Sorry, my bad.

Smartypants
05-10-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm a huge, humongous, rabid fan of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and have been since I was about ten, when I read the books. These books were to me what Star Wars was to many of my fellow geeks out there.

I've seen the trailer, and I must admit that it looks very pretty, but I am afraid it will ultimately be a disappointment.

This movie is being made too much with one eye on the Lord of the Rings films and another on the Harry Potter films. Big mistake. It looks to me like they are taking a great deal of the visual language from HP and LOTR. They are Hollywood-izing this movie too much, treating it as a commodity rather than being true to the story. Looking at the trailer, I got the impression that the filmmakers were trying to say, "This movie looks like those others that you like. We've made it that way so you'll come see this one, too!"

I can see why filmmakers might want to line this movie up with LOTR and HP. They are all fantasy films about unreal worlds and both LOTR and HP have been wildly successful.
But they should try to remain true to the spirit of the books. They shouldn't let those other films influence this film too much; they should focus more on the content in the books.

They already got something wrong... in the book, the Wardrobe is in a dark attic, filled with lots of other clutter. In the movie, I see that it's situated all by itself, in a well-lit room.

It will be an attractive, eye catching film, but I'll bet they won't capture the feel or spirit of the book. They're Hollywood-izing it.

Bah.

Gazortus
05-10-2005, 06:37 AM
But theyve done the beaver shot.Thats fx done.Loads of armies ,flying stuff.In fact loads and loads of fx looks done to me.

Edmund P

Looks done? Based on the teaser? what? 20-30 shots vs 1000? 1200? Or more thats on the film? Do you have any idea of the quantity of work that has to be done on a film like this?

I don't know whats more funny, suggesting that the bulk of the work is done and Walden is holding back or you replying telling someone from Rhythm and Hues about Narina.

Oh wait.. thats right, Rhythm and Hues and Sony aren't doing anything on Narnia.. its all Weta.

Weta weta weta. *cough*

Heh.

[/ducks]

Lorecanth
05-10-2005, 07:34 AM
Looks great, children look a bit young. I think taking Lewis literally on the ages was a mistake though. Having a 8 year old actress fight in some of these epic battles.... pushes the imagination.

heney
05-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I think it looks phenomenal, I was dissappointed not to see some of the shots that I saw on my studio tour to R&H in March. Particularly one of Aslan approaching the Stone Table, it looked great. Im really excited about this movie. Its easily my favorite fantasy story.

kira-hime
05-10-2005, 07:17 PM
The high-res english site seems to have been down for at least 12 hours now...anyone have a mirror?

Terrell
05-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Sorry but I think WETA has proved themselves with LOTR and will take the same care with this one regarding effects.

Weta Digital is not doing any CG effects work on this film. I believe Rhythm & Hues and Imageworks split the effects work. Weta Workshop is working on the props, armor, and other such things.

Rye
05-14-2005, 06:56 PM
They already got something wrong... in the book, the Wardrobe is in a dark attic, filled with lots of other clutter. In the movie, I see that it's situated all by itself, in a well-lit room.

Don't mean to be a boob, but in the book the room is described as "quite empty except for one big wardrobe; the sort that has a looking-glass in the door. There was nothing else in the room at all except a dead bluebottle on the window sill." Looks like they got it just right.

Ezekiel19
05-14-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm impressed. King Kong will have competition this Christmas.

Interesting '

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2005, 11:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.