PDA

View Full Version : Western Digital SecureLock Drive Cables

Joel Hooks
05-06-2005, 06:55 PM
This is a bit of a rant, but I just finished building my fancy new dual opteron system, and I picked up a WD 250gb SATA drive ($119) to hold me over until I get a pair of 10k drives to run in a RAID. It seemed to work just fine, but I noticed some odd slowdowns when I transfered large amounts of files. That is frustrating in itself, but it wasn't a show stopper and I really needed to get this project out the door.

Then Premiere starts crashing when I load my project. Every time. wtf?

I frantically collect all my work files, make a backup, and move it back to my sad slow 2500+ and finish the the project. Whew.

So now that the project is finished I start poking around inside my computer and find that the PROPRIETARY "SecureLock" (lol) sata cable has wiggled loose on the back of the drive. What a crock. Fry's has no aftermarket cables to replace the sub-par pieces of crap, so I ended up using some high temperature alluminum tape (Xacto'd to fit just right) and my problems seem to have been solved.

/end ranting

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2005, 06:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.