PDA

View Full Version : Transparency??

GhostInTheMachine
05-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi. I use photoshop 8 to produce 2d artwork based on scanned line drawings. i set the scanned layer to multiply so i can work on the layer under that with colour etc. how can i make that line drawing (multiply) layer lose the white permanently?

...this causes problems later on (merging layers etc)

selecting (and deleting) by colour is too crude as many lines i want to preserve are feint. is there a simple way to turn my line drawing into a transparency without multiply?

many thanks,
Joe.

Jackmar
05-07-2005, 07:29 AM
well if i understand you corrctly you want to eliminate the white part of the scan leaving only the black lines.

The way i would go about this without using layer styles is to first adjust the levels and darken up your lines. Then take a brush and touch up allitle if needed. Then invert the color so the lines are white and use it as a alpha channel for the scan. that should leave you with a layer with only the lines visible. :D

corect me if im wrong :hmm:

ReK0
05-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Ive had this issue before when I started digital painting. Coloring photos and pictures.

I dont necessarily Solve this problem but there are ways around it.

When you scan it you should be able to scan to png or a format that can have the background left blank and have all the black remain which would leave you with a layer of just outline. I cannot test this for you atm but you might give it a try.

Another way around may be to goto the select menu at the top and click color range. use the dabber thang to choose white. then press okay and it will process the info and select all of the white color, then press delete. This works really good if your initial picture is vector (lines created with the pen tool are an example of this) , it will work flawless, but when it comes to drawings the value for 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (1 being white and 10 being pure black , between is a gradient of grey). The values from 1-10 will be present so this method of deleted all white will not hold up to well but with some clever erasing action it can work.

The way I go about such a problem is to simply do what your doing at the moment. Scan the image. Set it to multiply, put it as the top layer. put the layer underneith as your color layer for the character (possibly), then on another layer underneith paint the background. After you have it far enough flatten it and then work from 1 layer. This is a more traditional way to work. Otherwise just play around with layers and have fun. Here is one I did recently

http://www.bestofthebeast.com/wiseguys/concept/character_moltov_1000.jpg

theGuest
05-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Make sure you lines are as clean and hard (dark) as you'd like them. The cleaner the better.

Look under the SELECT menu for "Color Range...".
Open the menu at the top and you'll see 2 specific options that may suit your needs -- Highlights, & Shadows.

Once chosen, your white (highlights) will become selected. At which point you can simply delete them from the layer.

Be aware however... that this method, although very thorough, leaves your lines somewhat edgey looking.

You could also just use the Magic Eraser tool as well. That's even simpler. But as with the previous method, some diddling with things is required for optimal results. Try setting the Tolerance to 64 to start. Go ahead and try this tool just so you can see what it does. ;)

For a much better method to this, see below...

This is by far the best filter i've ever found for this purpose. The author has done a real nice job of it. I've had this filter for at least a couple years now.
http://www.photoshop-filters.com/html/macks.htm

NOTE: to use it to remove black, simple invert your layer first, apply the filter, then invert your layer back.

There ARE a couple other filters out here for 'eliminating white & black', but i've tried those and they aren't as good. They leave a slight halo around your lines. I recommend the above filter the most.

GhostInTheMachine
05-07-2005, 01:16 PM
thanks jackmar ill try that.

theGuest looks like there's a compatibility problem! :sad:
running cs on mac os x and the filter doesnt show, nor does the Eliminate white filter from edesign.
thanks for your thoughts, if i find a solution that works for me, ill be sure to post it here.

really i need a way to 'rasterize' a multiply layer, too much is lost with other methods (selection, blend if, etc)

EruNuo
05-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Uhm... I am not sure if I understood you right... you want a scanned lineart (b/w) and you want to delete all white spaces so only the black lines are left... right? *excuse me please, my english is not that good ^^"* so if i am telling you something you know already or you DON'T want to know pleeeease excuse.

So in the end only the lineart is left with trasperent 'background'
Is this what you wanted?

If yes this is easy... you have to check if the pic is set on RBG-colour modus.
thann you double-click the layer with the linework and in the appearing pop-up the 'ok'-button. after this the layer is not fixed anymore.

then you change to the channel-window. in the lower left corner there is a small button with a circle on it. click it. all white spaces are selected now. delet them.

create a new layer and put it under your lineart. fill it with white or any other colour you like.
not return to your lineart-layer and fix the trasperent spaces. now you can pick a big brush, a colour of your choice and paint all over the lineart... it will be as clear as it was before.

allenatl
05-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Use channels instead of layers. This will give you an EXACT copy of your line art with no white behind it.
1. Open file of original scanned art - black lines on a white background.
2.Select All.
3.Copy.
4.In the Channel palette, create a new channel.
5. Paste.
6. Create a new layer. Name it line art.
7.Load Selection, selecting the new channel.
8. In the line art layer, fill the selection with black.
9. In the background layer, Select All, and Clear.
You now have a separate line art layer on top of a white background layer.

GhostInTheMachine
05-09-2005, 01:23 PM
thanks very much for your help! :D

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2005, 01:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.