PDA

View Full Version : ...Loosing the white surrounding of the pic. <--- Check it out

HellBoy
05-06-2005, 03:18 PM
hi all

I have this question, you know when you get a picture from internet, e.g. a rose pic with white background, if you paste it to PS in top of a picture and loose the white area of the rose with magic wond tool, you're left with a small fragments of white pixel around your flowers, using robber or magic tool will kill the quality of the picture so my need is, is there a better way to do this?

Review of the problem:

Copied pic from the net with white bk
pasted it to PS
theres a picture already and you want to loose the white surounding of the pic you copied
used magic wond tool
still theres small white fragments with the rose
how can I get rid of it, if you didn't get it, I'll post some screenshots of the problem

cheers

AlbertHallX
05-06-2005, 04:47 PM
First off its a 'Wand'! But anyway:

Are you sure the pixels are White, or are they white mixed with another color?
If it is pure white you can select the contiguous box in the Wand tool options and then it will get all pixels of that color.

Sometimes images fade to the background color which means that the images are bordered with many many diffrent shades of white as it fades.
If this is the case what you can do is change the tolerance of the Wand untill you get enough of the background deleted as you want.
Then goto the select menu and invert the selection and carefully paint the border black.
Its a hack, but without the original PSD file, it is tough to extract it exactly.

Another thing you might try, I have noticed that sometimes people store the PSD image right next to the jpg on the web-site, try typing in the name of that jpg with a PSD extension and see if it is there. If so it can make it alot easier.

whookam
05-06-2005, 07:50 PM
As a general rule, any function that has 'magic' in the title tends to be crap. Easiest/best way to do it is to use a layer mask and brush away the stray pixels.

CCDrkNrgy
05-06-2005, 09:40 PM
I keep forgetting to use the layer masks! What I tend to do is use an eyedropper to select a colour range, adjusting the fuzziness (I think that's what it's called), and let Photoshop highlight the parts I want deleted for me. I also use the extraction tool, but I find I lose pixels around the edges that way.

I agree with the layer mask. It works the best, when I remember to use it. lol

XepptizZ
05-07-2005, 09:44 PM
How great wouldn't it be if yoou could paste an image into a layer's mask.

You could then make a copy of the flower pic greyscaled, paste it into the mask and voila! Only the flower is let through/visable and you could have whatever background you want and also keep the fading it already had, but now with the background of your choice. Alas, I'm just dreaming here.

whookam
05-07-2005, 10:20 PM
How great wouldn't it be if yoou could paste an image into a layer's mask.

You could then make a copy of the flower pic greyscaled, paste it into the mask and voila! Only the flower is let through/visable and you could have whatever background you want and also keep the fading it already had, but now with the background of your choice. Alas, I'm just dreaming here.

Err.. you can. Just copy a selection, Alt-click on the layer mask to edit it, paste and its done. Alt-Click the mask again to get back to normal mode.

This is a common way we generate hair masks, although it might look a bi weird with something like this as the highlights would go transparent.

Of course if you stuck the image on a seperate layer using the multiply blend mode then you would get the same effect.

XepptizZ
05-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Thnx Whookam!

Blah, maybe I shouldn't try to give comments like that as I'm still prety much a noob with PS.

theGuest
05-08-2005, 06:52 AM
although it might look a bi weird with something like this as the highlights would go transparent. You'd need to invert the mask after pasting into it. Otherwise, your image would be transparent, not the surrounding white areas.

Just paste, then press Ctrl+I.
You will also no doubt need to apply the Levels filter to the mask to create a more solid mask. Most photos/pictures used as masks contain greyscale tones, which will make those parts of your photo semi-transparent. Use Levels to darken/solidify the grey tones, or paint in those areas manually.

kraal
05-08-2005, 07:37 AM
um what about expanding the selection after you use the magic wand???????

paintbox
05-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Or try Defringe in the layer menu, it kills off 'bad' anti-aliasing. Well it tries too, it doesn't always work, but when it does, it works like a charm.

theGuest
05-09-2005, 03:34 AM
Or try Defringe in the layer menu, it kills off 'bad' anti-aliasing. Well it tries too, it doesn't always work, but when it does, it works like a charm.

Yes but you need to understand just how it does this. Which will then help you to understand why it doesn't always work.

The Defringe filter works by changing the outermost row of pixels to match the colour(s) of the pixel just inside the outer edges. And that's why sometimes it can make a mess of your edges -- because the 'fringe' pixels are not equally dispersed around the edges of your image. There are/can be empty sections of fringe pixels, or pixels with a semi-transparent value.

umbrellasky
05-10-2005, 09:49 AM
You could try using the wand tool and then go to Select-modify-expand and expand it to 2 or 3 pixels. that sometimes works depends on the deatils and such.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2005, 09:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.