PDA

View Full Version : The Next Unreal Tournament (Screens)

Solothores
05-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Screens of the next unreal tournament showed up, some old, some new...

http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3140086

Cheers
Solo

Gamoron
05-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Very impressive graphics. Really nice environments.

But it's all about gameplay.

lovisx
05-06-2005, 03:40 PM
not for me, if its got good graphics I'm in heaven.

being a cg artist, its like walking through a gallery.

ashen
05-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Gameplay is everything. After all, it's a Game not a pretty pre-rendered CG gallery. If the developers can spend 50% 50% effort on graphics as well as gameplay it would be so much nicer...however nowadays we could only wish. It seems almost Every developers are spending 80~90 of the time on the "look" cause that's what seems to "sell" the game in this generation. Sad.

When it used to be 8-bit, people could not turn anything into gold graphics-wise. Thus most of them focused on how to make the game "fun" and "glitch-free". To me, it was That spirit that created so many "classics" that never die. You would think with today's tech games like Unreal 2 would last longer than Tetris and Mario the classic...wrong.

enochian
05-06-2005, 04:49 PM
I have to agree with lovisx, any more the game play just repetive, the only thing that insterest me about new games are the graphics.

Coconutmonkey
05-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Dunno if you guys read the article but Epics big goal this time is to make gameplay their #1 priority. They're not doing any art in any of the levels until the gameplay is 100% rock solid. I think this is extremely cool, the fact that they're completely blocking out the levels and making it as fun as it can be before doing any art in them.

hano
05-06-2005, 05:42 PM
first post \o/

It better be about gameplay.

For those of you that don't participate in the Unreal community and are unaware of it's abymal state ie: online play is absolutely dead, most people are involved in mapping/modding/models....etc. Everything except gaming. :(

A game (or series) can't maintain any kind of momentum without players.

If it's all graphics and all the woweee is going to come from what the engine and the editor can do instead of the game then I think this is going to be the final nail for the Unreal series.

I'm looking forward to the next UT, but I'm not going to get my hopes up about the online numbers.

Don Kayote
05-06-2005, 06:24 PM
It's....it's....soo glowy...

This engine will be great to do broadcasting works and short animation :)

t-toe
05-06-2005, 08:19 PM
...Really nice environments...

don't you mean "environment". I only saw one pic of a locale. but it sure was purdy.

opus13
05-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Gameplay is everything. After all, it's a Game not a pretty pre-rendered CG gallery.

UT is already a polished product. from here on out the FLS genre is going to be evolutionary, not revolutionary. things will get added or left out as the public prefers, and the biggest changes will be in sound and picture.

expecting a revolution in FPS games is naive.

Geta-Ve
05-06-2005, 10:03 PM
The enviros are great, but.. is it just me or are the characters looking less and less impressive each time I see them? Honestly it looks like they were just ripped out of the doom engine, the poly count is soooo low. ugh.

But ya the enviros are damn nice!

I can see the next Rooster Teeth production using this.

rakmaya
05-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Normal mapping will make up for the low poly. But it is pretty astonishing if we look back. We are using the polycount that is less than that for the current generation to create more stunning character details for next gen. Talking about real "cheating" that have worked awesomly.

U.Engine is gona be one of the best for external developers to create other genres for next gen. So I guess they are showing they can bring the best even with the current technology. Gameplay is very important aspect in determining the complex architecture of the game. Many programmers can read of the level of features in the engine by just seeing the features executed in the game.

TumikSmacker
05-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Online is not dead. Try clicking off the 'standard servers only' button if you want more servers. Theres tuns of people that play. Dead to me is when you search for servers and there's no one but a couple of bums playing. UT2004 has lots of servers with people playing!

So much bashing in here. Its almost as if no company can show any pics of a game they are working on without someone saying 'oh if only it had good gameplay. Unreal Tournament has always had solid gameplay.

These screenies look amazing and I can't wait until this comes out!

Low polys????????????????????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Hmmmmmm/UT/media.jpg

aquaglow
05-07-2005, 12:49 AM
I have to agree with TumikSmaker, clearly those people who are complaining about gameplay are just doing so in general, as while I admit there are a lot of repetitive button bashing fps games on the pc market, UT is the best of those. Clearly you're forgetting that it was the original UT (a technical marvel - didn't even need a true 3d graphics card) that stole the 'king of the online fps' title from the Quake series.

I still play UT2004 even after many months, and though I started playing CounterStrike Source when HL2 was released, I still play UT2004. In my mind anyway there are two 'sub-genres' for First person shooters, those of a 'realistic' slant (such as delta force or counter strike source), and the OTT sci-fi based ones such as UT or serious sam.

Anyway, I think the new game will be amazing, as well as the graphics. :D

rakmaya
05-07-2005, 02:43 AM
UT always had very unique mood to their game. I think the comment was in return to the previous post regarding someone who said "graphics is the only thing that matters". Anyway those are subjective matters, let us get back to the topic at hand.

By combining low poly, detail map/nomal map, details such as that is possible with ease. There were more detailed and much sophisticated level shown by Unreal Engine demo reel with only 500,000 polygons total. This contained an entire map of great detail. A character such as this requires no more than 12,000 polygon (5K-7K will be more accurate esimate). The normal map probably had 1-2 million polygon.

Geta-Ve
05-07-2005, 03:17 AM
third pic on the top row...

that looks good to you? :p Im not saying it looks entirely bad, but :shrug:

the parts that really stick out in my opinion are the legs and the arms..

And ya, as per gameplay unreal has always had nice smooth gameplay.

edit: btw same pic (third top) wheres all the grass?

Gamoron
05-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Dunno if you guys read the article but Epics big goal this time is to make gameplay their #1 priority.

This sort of thing happens often in game development though. The desire for good gameplay is always there, and you can nail it down. Unfortunately once you start to add new content, like more polished meshes it can have the odd effect of screwing up that gameplay. If the piece looks really nice, it stays and the gameplay goes.

Also, promises are made. Sometimes good ideas just don't get in because they need a longer time period to be implemented. Which the dev team doesn't have. Programmers are often pissed because their work is easily trashable.

Me personally I enjoy Battlefield over UT. Its slower and more realistic. You can enjoy your kills more. UT everyone is bouncing all around and flipping about and shooting nukes at eachother.

I like shinny graphics. But I'll need to get my hands on a demo.

chow-mein
05-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I was really hoping that Epic would develope another game other than Unreal Tournament with the new game engine. It sure looks promising, yet doing another FPS type game seems so limiting to the possiblities that the new game engines have to offer. Doom 3 certainly boost an impressive looking game; yet the game play was dull and repetitive(I only got to the beginning of Delta Labs 4 when I lost interest). Why limit yourselves to one particular genre?

Gamoron
05-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I guess they're getting old. It's people that only listen to one type of music. Then they stop buying new records of that type of music and just replay their old records saying crap like," They don't make it like they used too."
I think there is a lot of old blood in the industry that needs to be pumped out.

dominicqwek
05-07-2005, 06:19 PM
holy sh*t. Those screenshots made my day! :bounce: The amount of detail is just sky rocketing...

heavyness
05-07-2005, 06:31 PM
i'm really looking forward to playing the next "UT200X" that uses the Unreal 3 Engine. if you check THIS (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=459557) thread out, they've posted all the news about the next UT. but i'm looking forward to CONQUEST mode. basically, 8+ teams fight it out on huge levels. the new engine can seamlessly load another map without taking a performance hit. so in theory, Epic could make an endless world where you never hit a boundary. they also said these battle will last a long time [like having to log off, eating, then coming back to finish up].

can't freakin wait.

and the guys behind Unreal always deliver. i've never seen then shy away from anything and they're always pushing the envelope. also, i saw CliffyB on G4 during a quick blurb and he said his inspiration comes from Zelda and he really like Resident Evil 4 and wants to make that sort of game but with his own style! so we might see something different from those guys over there.

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2005, 06:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.