PDA

View Full Version : Silo 1.4 Release Date and Videos

jamchild
05-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi Everyone,
Silo 1.4 is coming out next week and we've been working on some new video tutorials to show off some of the things that make Silo unique, especially as of version 1.4. Take a look at a few of the videos below and see more at http://silo3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3519 . We'll be releasing more on the nevercenter site next week. This release has a really nice implementation of selection highlighting, a new snapping manipulator that can do some pretty cool things, big speed gains over an already-fast implementation, drastically improved topology brush, and more.

Selection Highlighting with different tool:
http://www.nevercenter.com/other_downloads/highlighting_tools.mov

Topology painting with the snapping manipulator:
http://www.nevercenter.com/other_downloads/topology_and_snapping.mov

Full mouse customization possibilities:
http://www.nevercenter.com/other_downloads/mouse_customization.mov

Snapping manipulator:
http://www.nevercenter.com/other_downloads/snapping_manipulator.mov

Don Kayote
05-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Wow! :eek:

That snapping tool and that selection highlighting are awesome!
But some how I fell like that new double click thingy is to silent those modo fanboys :)

StephanD
05-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Nice features.

DonKayote:Most software developpers don't mind sharing knowledge thus features.Nothing to do with the users except that they're the ones asking for them.

lowkey
05-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Besides that, in silo it's just an option of customisability, not a hardcoded setting! You can assign whatever function you need to the double-click or (nearly) any other mouse operation! :love:

Leebre
05-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Ok, I am now officially impressed with Silo. It's feature set is becoming too robust to ignore any longer. I have been content to stick with Wings3D because it is such a great tool--and you can't beat its price! But every one of the new Silo videos demonstrate features that not only mesh with how I work but they will also significantly speed up my modeling process. Great job guys, I think you've found another customer!

tjnyc
05-06-2005, 03:10 PM
The thing I love about this release, is the fluidity of how modeling in SILO has become. Yet it remains simple and efficient to use. For example you can highlight and delete elements, highlight and create split loops or partial loops. You can also use smooth like tweaking, or brush on smooth. Almost everything is customizable when it comes to workflow, so you can particularly make it work for you anyway you want. This release is a real milestone, and it shows how mature SILO is becoming as a professional application.

Cheers,

Gamoron
05-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Is there a demo I can try?

IanBlackford
05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
yup :)
a 17 day trial can be found here (http://www.nevercenter.com/downloads/) i must add that its for v1.3 although i'm sure some time after the official launch of 1.4 that the trial will also be available, immediately even...

i have to say i am really impressed with how silo is shaping up. i'm a big fan of wings, but am very tempted to take the plunge. i dl the trial quite some time ago at work and now am long out of my grace dats. whats the deal with the licensing? am i correct in thinking i'll be able to purchase, use it at home and at work on my mac? nothing like adding it to my own personal software arsenal and leaving the rest out :p jk :D lol
regards
monsieurblack

lovisx
05-06-2005, 04:54 PM
one thing while I was playing with it last night. I was wondering where the hell the collapse tool was, so I looked and I looked. I couldn't find the tool, and then finally I tried merge vertices for the hell of it. merge vertices does not only merge vertices it's also a collapse tool when you select edges. They are finding ways to make the same tool do different things, which really speads up workflow.

I quickly picked up the short cuts that are established in it and modeled a nicely edge looped head in about half an hour. No crashes nothing but sweet sweet modeling.

this is one powerful tool.

ThomasMahler
05-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Just to add my 2 cents:

You should try the demo, get a feeling for it and then try to shape Silo into the modeler you'd have always loved to work with. Since Silo is highly customizable, you can just take the things that you love inside your current modeler and "port" it over to Silo. For example: LMB Double Clicking: Select Loop, RMB Double Clicking: Select Ring. Instant LMB Tweaking, etc.

Since version 1.4 Silo is my main modeler, thanks to the great additions it got - Smart Highlighting and Pre-Selection work like a charm.

For example, I'm using a Wacom, I adjusted the mouse settings, so I have the tools that I use the most mapped to the pen. I set Tweak to LMB (So pushing and pulling points is actually a hell lot faster now), Connect is simply mapped to Shift + LMB, I invoke the split tool with CTRL + Shift + MMB, flip edges with CTRL + Shift + RMB and so on and so on - it's totally up to you and your prefered workflow. The best thing is that you don't even have to select components anymore for most of the commands. It's just easy as pie and helps you to create a very streamlined modeling process.

I know that I may sound like a fanboy, but just try the demo and, for the sake of it, try to customize Silo to your modeling needs. I've seen so many people working inside of Maya, Modo or whatever, begging for features that are actually available inside of Silo for quite some time now - For example, I have just watched the Freedom of Teach DVDs and I'm sure that Tareq would speed up his workflow by ten folds if he'd switch to Silo for modeling.

It's already such a great program, I come from a Max/Maya/Wings Modeling background and I would never look back - The full version costs 109USD and there's even a demo version of it. And if someones still thinking that it's not a 'pro' tool thanks to the low price, then you should really look at the modelers who're using Silo (*hint* http://www.silo3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3489 *hint* ;)). Silo is as 'pro' as it could be. So if you haven't yet, give Silo a chance and you might have a very, very pleasant surprise...

lovisx
05-06-2005, 06:38 PM
there is also a free education version that does not require a license.

Rezonance
05-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Is it serial number registered or is it via email? Both of those are fine for me but online registration is a real pain for me as I often dont have a direct internet connection.

Also how do you guys think it will compare to the new modeller from Eovia "Hexagon"?

Wow! I have just watched those videos and they are really cool. Very impressive, especially the topology brush with the snap tool.

SheepFactory
05-06-2005, 07:25 PM
the snapping tool looks very nice. My only gripes with silo are the inability to display the smoothed model alongside with the non smoothed one (and have history connection between them) , the mirror issue on ortho views with image planes that obstruct the image plane because the center faces dont turn transparent and the tool options windows suck.

Other then that its a great tool , certainly the best $100 i spent on software.

jamchild
05-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Yeah, there will be a demo of 1.4 available for both Mac and PC at release next week, as well as 1.4 Learning Versions. Oh, and as all 1.x upgrades have been, it's free to registered users :].

Coliba
05-07-2005, 03:22 AM
You really should be charging more :) I'm going to give it a serious try now after seeing those vids.

A few questions:

1. If there isn't any construction history presently, do you plan on adding it later on? Is it very difficult to do? If so have you thought of offering a more expensive "XL" version with this feature?

2. Can you have split up the screen so you have two perspective views with different cameras? So you can see the model from different angles.

3. Can you switch on/off certain type of geometry or components based by viewport? For example in one I'd like only to see subd geometry and no lines or points, in the other I'd like to see just regular geometry, no subd.

yinako
05-07-2005, 04:38 AM
oh sh!t, I have been using maya for a long time, I know the tools for modeling are a bit old by now, last week i checked modo, it was too much like lightwave, and was I confused about the interface...I'm a slow learner and I hate to a switching interface, that looks cool yet i have no idea how it works....:( But I love these silo videos, it looks a lot like maya, with the stuff like Thomas Mahler said that are hard to implement inside of Maya, and yet very usefull. Can't wait to try try demo of this thing.

one question, does it have solid tablet support? for workflow etc..

-JT-
05-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Awesome as usual with every release !

Rezonance
05-07-2005, 06:26 AM
There is a Silo Learning Demo http://www.nevercenter.com/downloads/ which has no time limit but is limited to 100 poly models saving which is worth a try.

Can anyone answer my previous questions about registration?

private
05-07-2005, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't bother with the old demo. Just wait a week for the newer 1.4...or just buy the thing! Have free updates for the 1.x lifecycle.

The only glaring misses right now are UVs, layer system, better UI viewport configurations and just minor cleanup/streamlining in what they have now.

The developers listen to your input and visit the boards daily. This is excellent.

ThomasMahler
05-07-2005, 07:54 AM
oh sh!t, I have been using maya for a long time, I know the tools for modeling are a bit old by now, last week i checked modo, it was too much like lightwave, and was I confused about the interface...I'm a slow learner and I hate to a switching interface, that looks cool yet i have no idea how it works....:( But I love these silo videos, it looks a lot like maya, with the stuff like Thomas Mahler said that are hard to implement inside of Maya, and yet very usefull. Can't wait to try try demo of this thing.

I'm sure you would be more than happy with Silo. It actually has no 'real' interface, just a few buttons, you don't really have to learn Silo. And if you're coming from a Maya background, even better: From it's defaults, Silo is configured so that it feels a lot like Maya - But it already gives you all the tools and stuff that make modeling so beautiful inside of it.

Silo is all about workflow - If you're familiar with polygonal/SubD Modeling, then you'll feel comfortable within Silo right off the bat. But I'm sure, after some time, you'll actually wrap things around and turn Silo into your "own" modeler. You can definitely do so many things with Silo that you just can't with other modelers. The fact that nearly everything is customizable (you can create your own buttons, configure all keyboard hotkeys, mouse hotkeys, etc) - and you don't have the problem that some keys are preserved to already really important options like in an animation package like Max, Maya, XSI, whatever - makes Silo just great for modeling.

one question, does it have solid tablet support? for workflow etc..

Yup, Tablets are awesome in Silo, I actually also started a thread over at the Silo Forums (http://www.silo3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3309&highlight=tablet), because I threw my old workflow over board (I was so used to Maya/Wings...) and started to do "my own thing" inside of Silo. Now, I'm actually only using CTRL + Shift on the keyboard for 99% of the commands I'm using while modeling. For example, think with me, I'll tell you how I work with my Wacom with my current config. It's just beautiful, listen here:

Okay, let's say we build a head real quick (of course, that's all according to MY config, you'd either have to configure Silo or just download my config to model with the same workflow):

ALT + RMB for RMB Context Menu - Create Cube, CTRL + LMB to switch to Multi selection Mode, select the edges in the middle of the Cube, Shift + LMB to connect these edges, so we splitted it right down the middle, CTRL + LMB for Mutli selection mode again - Select the faces on the right side of the cube and press CTRL + Shift + LMB to delete them.

Go to body mode and press "I" to create an instance mirror of your model. Press "D" to smooth the model once, just to get a little more geometry. Press Shift + C to refine the model, so we froze the SubD Smoothing (In Silo, you can constantly switch between SubD Lvls, I configured this ZBrush like to "D" and Shift + D), then, just press CTRL + LMB to go to Multi Selection Mode again and just use LMB to tweak components around. If you're used to Maya, Max or some other modeler where you have to select components to move them around or enter tweak mode every time you want to do that, these times are over now. Just use LMB to tweak stuff around. As you know, 99% of your modeling time you'll push and pull verts, edges, whatever around, so why not making this the easiest thing in the world? LMB Tweaking is awesome and will incredibly speed up your workflow.

So, extrude the neck. Select the faces where you want to extrude the neck and just press ALT + LMB (great, huh? ;) to extrude these faces out - Do this a few times, and on the fly tweak verts again. So, let's say we need some edge loop splits now. CTRL + LMB to go to Multi Selection Mode again, just hover over an edge, so it's smart highlighted (you don't have to select it, Silo does this for you) and press ALT + Shift + MMB - After the new loop is there, you can use MMB to instantly slide the loop into the correct position. Press RMB to continue modeling. Press CTRL + LMB to enter Multi Selection Mode again, select the Vertex where the eye should be, so press CTRL + Alt + RMB to bevel the vertex (of course, all commands inside of Silo are context sensitive, e.g.: Alt + LMB extruding will work on Edges, Faces, Vertices,...) - Press CTRL + Shift + MMB to enter Split Mode and start splitting the eye area like you want it.

And so on and so on - As you see, most of the commands are mapped directly to my pen, I don't even think about this anymore while modeilng. It's like shifting into a higher gear while driving a car. This is what I mean when I'm talking about workflow. You'll concentrate on the modeling, you'll concentrate on the aspects of your model and not the "modeling" itself. You don't care about pressing buttons anymore, you just create your own, beautiful style of modeling inside of Silo.

There aren't a lot of poly/SubD modelers out there that are laid out for workflow (even if they tell you that they are, heh! ;)), but Silo definitely gives you the freedom to create - I highly recommend it.

Edit: I quickly uploaded my Keyboard and Mouse configs, so you can try this workflow for yourself - Maybe someone will continue modeling this way :) Here we go:

http://members.chello.at/thomas.mahler/tmkeymoschemes.zip

aquaglow
05-07-2005, 10:00 AM
there is also a free education version that does not require a license.

True, but it's strictly for learning rather than actually making models, as you can't save meshes with more than 100 faces. Anyone who can't afford it should just get wings 3d, the next best thing.

yinako
05-07-2005, 10:35 AM
hehe, so this is the emac of modeling huh, can you really remember all that combination?!

i tried the 1.3 demo, and it runs a lot like maya, execellent tools, I see it almost exact same as maya, with the added edge loop related task, like slide and move on normals much easier to acess. yes the tablet works very well too. theres currently no HUD informationor the like for polyon modeling like maya, also when you have duplicated faces, like extrude without moving the face, stays there, I haven't figured out a easy way to clean those up. but all in all its so far been very applealing modeling tool for my 2 hours try at it...:)

dotTom
05-07-2005, 11:59 AM
You really should be charging more :)

It does say on the Nevercenter site that if feel bad about the low price contact their sales department and they'll be happy to charge you $1000. Bless 'em. ;)

How come Silo doesn't have it's own forum here on CGTalk?

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2005, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.