PDA

View Full Version : Terragen 2 Alpha Movie

DotPainter
05-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Just ran across this today. I don't know how many of you use terragen, but this looks sweet! Also, there are links to other static images produced in the alpha. Go to the Terragen2 Preview link for the movie and the links:

terragen 2 preview (http://www.kk3d.de/)

wedge
05-06-2005, 12:42 AM
holy shit... that looks amazing.

hypercube
05-06-2005, 12:46 AM
it's too bad it's in an unclouded area, but other than that, that's extremely cool. There's a test pic on the terragen site that has some awesome cloudtops from space..I hope they really do get it to this level for the full version.

Hazdaz
05-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Some of those images/movies look awesome, BUT it looks like Terragen2 might have the same issue that Terragen1 has.... no vegetation.

I mean sure, I see some grass, but barren landscapes can only go so far. And don't get me wrong, I love Terragen1 and think it's a great application, but with this version 2 that seems to have been on the drawing broad for many years, I would almost "expect" to be able to do full forests.

swardson
05-06-2005, 02:09 AM
wow, thats amazing. I cant believe the amount of detail on the land. I am definately gonna keep my eye on this one.

Coliba
05-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Wow! There's a pretty amazing vid of Mars on this site following the link for kk3d:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/tgd/gallery/gallerypage.php?item=4&ind=4&group=

Scotti Leslie
05-06-2005, 07:04 PM
I have been hearing about Terragen2 for too long! When can I play with it?

Here are some more amazing images I found, done by Luc Bianco. Great ocean shot!

http://lucbianco.free.fr/about_txt.html

jscheel
05-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Yes, vegetation is something I would love to see in terragen 2. Also, I hope it will have a 3d preview for the windows version like mac does right now.

NUKE-CG
05-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Not my kind of program, but the Mountainous World video was quite nice, seemless drop from space. Shame about the horrible techno music in most videos, they met Mr Mute button though. :)

JDex
05-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Stop with the f'n torture... this app has been in alpha for like 18 months. Umm... when can I buy it?

c-g
05-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Some of those images/movies look awesome, BUT it looks like Terragen2 might have the same issue that Terragen1 has.... no vegetation.

I could have sworn I've seen a few renders with vegetation.

SovereignKnight
05-08-2005, 01:18 AM
T2 has been in development for a long time. It's launch date is sometime this year, but it's been over a year since the website has been updated with any new information, and all of the promised upgrades to Terragen have been ignored or never completed and released, so I'm not holding my breath anymore. If anyone comes up with anything newer than a year, please post it here.

Dragon_Lee
05-08-2005, 01:41 AM
I'd really like to get my hands on this one.... Alpha Beta whatever, I'd gladly test it :)

I wonder why they're keeping things this tightly wrapped up tho, long time no updates, no solid info...and for the fact that their FAQ mentions a medio 2005 release (ie. final) they'd better hurry and start cranking out some (public) betas...

As it is now, I am wowed by the imagery and movies it produces....can't wait to play with it...

JeroenDStout
05-08-2005, 11:58 AM
*gasp*

Will is still have a free version? :deal:

richcz3
05-08-2005, 06:31 PM

I mean sure, I see some grass, but barren landscapes can only go so far. And don't get me wrong, I love Terragen1 and think it's a great application, but with this version 2 that seems to have been on the drawing broad for many years, I would almost "expect" to be able to do full forests.
That's Terragen's Achilles heal. WIthout native vegetation, the shots are limited to med to high altitude picturesque summits. I recenty purchased Vue5 Infinite and I'm completely blown away by the amount of foliage and secondary rock formations that can be added. The amount of control with filters is also pretty impressive. Clouds in Terragen are still supperior and it would be great if they could consider foilage for their next version.

Roter Baron
05-08-2005, 11:37 PM
I am glad you like it. :)

But... the world / source file was never explicitly designed for such a far zoom from space to distant landscape. I prefer the description "feasibility study". And as I wrote it on my page, the animation was done by an early alpha version, no claim that all capabilities have been exploited.

I do not want to go into details, but vegetation and object rendering support will be part of Terragen 2.

- Karsten

Hazdaz
05-09-2005, 12:36 AM
I do not want to go into details, but vegetation and object rendering support will be part of Terragen 2.

Well that's good news... now we just need to hear that it will actually be released within this decade.:p

Roter Baron
05-09-2005, 09:27 AM
I think there is a good chance... ;)

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2005, 09:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.