PDA

View Full Version : Drawing columns in perspective

Kansai
05-05-2005, 08:09 PM
can anyone point me to any good tutorials on how to draw columns in 1 point perspective. been on google forever and not any good results. thanx for any help

DarkAngelSyn
05-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Dont know about any tutorials for that but I can tell you how to do it.
First setup you page with your perspective then draw a square in persective, make it slightly bigger then the column you want. Once you have the square in perspective, find its mid point. with ruler go from the perspective point to the mid point, mark the edges of the square where the ruler crosses the two edges. Then since its one point persp make two more marks on the two otehr sides right in the mid point of each edge. from here yuou either draw the circle by connecting the four points you just made, or do it the easy way and line up a ellipse guide. Use this to draw the top and bottom circles then connect them with vertical lines.
I hope this helped let me know if it didn't.

Kansai
05-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Hey DarkAngelSyn thanx for the reply your response it is a little confusing. Here is what i am trying to do i am trying to draw archways connected to columns in a one point perspective.

Here is what i know how to do i know how to set up a plane to get equal distances in a one point perspective. and example can be seen here http://www2.evansville.edu/studiochalkboard/lp-diminish.html

what i dont understand is how do i determine the column with when it is going back into space for the individual coulumns i mean i could eyeball it but i would think there would be a better way. I wish i could post some pics of my constuction work but my scanner is out.

if you could post or someone else could post some reference that would be great

paperclip
05-05-2005, 11:49 PM
You're looking for the column WIDTH? Or just the height/position of each column?

Kansai
05-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Hello paperclip I was trying to determine and accurate width of the 2nd and following columns. I can give the first column a width of my choice. I am thinking I should just eye ball since i am not drawing from and actuall live reference where you can measure.

Ordibble-Plop
05-06-2005, 12:19 AM
I am guessing a little bit here too, but I think it is not so much the width but the depth of the column that is the problem.

The example link you gave (when applied to the ground) shows you how to determine the decreasing depth of rectangles but it does not ensure that the rectangles are square (i.e. that the width is the same as the depth when not in perspective).

It is important that they be square if you want your columns to be circular as you will use the square in perspective to derive the correct ellipse to show the column in perspective. The ellipse will show at the base of the column or wherever the form of the column changes.

If you imagine a floor covered in square tiles, all you need to do is figure out how one of these tiles will look in perspective and the rest is easy with the information given in the link you gave. This procedure is relatively easy and I have a book on basic perspective with diagrams that show it which I'd be happy to email to you. Unfortunately the book is copyrighted so I can't post it here for everyone. Maybe there is a link to something similar online?

EDIT: since the diagrams are so simple maybe I'll just redraw them if no-one can find a link. I have some work to do though, so it might be a little wait.

paperclip
05-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Listen to ordibble, he speaks sense. If you imagine the scene as a floor full of tiles with a column coming out of one of the tiles, then the circumference of the column would be contained within one of these tiles, which will diminish in space.
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Ordibble-Plop
05-06-2005, 02:16 AM
I've looked into this a bit more (anything to avoid work) and it is more complex than my rusty remembrances allowed for.

Drawing the square is easy. Using that square to derive an ellipse is more complex because you can't use the centre point of the square in perspective (by drawing lines from diagonally opposite corners) as the centre point for the elipse. It gets a little more complex still when the column is not on the exact centre line of vision.

I'm happy to redraw the diagrams as a resource for others but it won't be right now. If you're in a hurry I can scan them for you.

I'd be suprised if this weren't on the web somewhere already though; you want to look for how to derive a 1 point perspective from a plan view.

Ordibble-Plop
05-06-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm going to have to backtrack a little here and say I won't be putting the info I have up. This isn't because I don't want to but because the information I have given above contradicts what seems to be accepted practice. Well, not all of it; the methods are the same but the book I have additionaly corrects for what it sees as an anomaly.

Anyway, the good news is that the info you need is online, on the same site you linked to above. What you need to do is:

-Plot a perfect square in perspective (http://www2.evansville.edu/studiochalkboard/lp-square.html)

-Use that knpwledge to draw a grid showing where your columns will be (http://www2.evansville.edu/studiochalkboard/lp-grids.html)

-Use the squares on the grid to draw circles in perspective (http://www2.evansville.edu/studiochalkboard/lp-circle.html)

-The circles delineate the base of the cylinders used for the columns (http://www.artyfactory.com/perspective_drawing/perspective_9.htm)

Hope that helps.

Kansai
05-06-2005, 04:18 PM
To everyone who responded to this thread thanx for the help I really was confused. to Ordibble P. Lop thanx for the pm and the links. Maybee I should note that the columns i am creating have a square base,

and you are right i can use the method of creating a perfect square in perspective to determine the sizes of the rest of the column bases as they go back to the vanishing point, based on the initial square i will draw for the column base. well i think its going to work out for me, thanx again

Empath
05-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Draw the nearest column, the furthest column, draw a straight line from the top of each to the bottom of the other, and where the X you have just made intersects is the placement of the column that is precisely inbetween them in space; repeat breaking down the spaces between columns until you have as many as you want. As for the width of the columns, it remains proportional throughout, so if a column a ways down the line is 75% of the height of the first one, make it 75% of the width.
Hope that helps

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2005, 05:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.