PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story: full 10th Anniversary DVD details

vfx
05-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Whooopie!! Now I can watch my fav animated film in 5.1, and... and....new features including alternative opening sequences and more early animation tests. This is a very welcome DVD in my books!!

http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00003413.html

DCHAD
05-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Um...Isn't this almost a reissue of what we got when we bought the Ultimate Toybox? Is the commentary new? If so I'll buy it for that alone! Can anyone verify the differences?

Thanks
DCHAD

chow-mein
05-05-2005, 08:21 PM
It's just another marketing ploy so Mr. Jobs and Disney can make more money. If you want to help the rich get richer, by all means purchase multiple copies.

EdHarriss
05-05-2005, 08:38 PM
- "10th Anniversary" now I feel realy old.
- It does not seem like it has been 10 years.
- Still looks like an interesting DVD though.

PaulAdams
05-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Has it been 10 years already? Christ. :eek:

hypercube
05-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Looks like the added stuff is the featurettes and Cars thing..commentary is the same..if it's cheap enough I'll get it to have those, but really, the ToyBox was so much those new materials better be AMAZING to justify it. One of these days I'd like a DTS mix on a Pixar film too. :shrug:

swardson
05-05-2005, 09:59 PM
this is great,

I have been looking to get a copy of TS1 and TS2 for a while now. wooo hooo :thumbsup:

Ill definately be getting these.

chow-mein
05-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Anything by Pixar by default MUST be insanely great. EVERYONE who has even a remote interest in coumputer grahics or animation MUST be awed and humbled by the flawless divine gifts that this God inspired company produces. Convert NOW!!! BUY! Three copies if you please.

yog
05-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Anything by Pixar by default MUST be insanely great. EVERYONE who has even a remote interest in coumputer grahics or animation MUST be awed and humbled by the flawless divine gifts that this God inspired company produces. Convert NOW!!! BUY! Three copies if you please.
Such anger :cool:
And this from somebody in customer services :D

Brettzies
05-05-2005, 11:25 PM
I doubt there's anything on it that makes it that much better then the original ToyBox version.

I get more upset when companies put out dvds with nothing on them, and then six months later come out with an uber edition. Seems like even the crappy movies are getting this treatment now.

My other favorite is the so-called 2Disc "Special Edition" with nothing on the second disc but an HBO making of and "filmogrophies" of the actors. Usually no DTS or commentary on the movie disc, so you know they could fit it all on one.

With the exception of A Bug's Life, at least Pixar/Disney has been pretty consitent about delivering the first release dvds fully loaded.

erilaz
05-05-2005, 11:59 PM
What is this "toybox" set of which everyone speaks? I don't recall ever seeing it!

itsallgoode9
05-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm angry, I got my toybox set stolen last year and it is IMPOSSIBLE to find. I had bought it on day 1 too :( grr

hypercube
05-06-2005, 12:30 AM
What is this "toybox" set of which everyone speaks? I don't recall ever seeing it!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004U9WR/

Used price is way steep, but it's an awesome set..loads of good stuff in there. The cool thing for obsolete format afficionados also was it's designed after the original Toy Story CAV LaserDisc box set :D

Though they still haven't done anything as cool as what they did for the LD box, they included an extra disc with all their shorts to date, all the way back to the early early days. If they should re-release anything, it ought to be a DVD version "Tiny Toy Stories", which was a short-lived VHS edition of all their shorts.

erilaz
05-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Damn... don't think that version ever hit my shores.:sad:

chow-mein
05-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Dude, I am not angry, how can I be when I have a relative that works for Pixar.

Kai01W
05-06-2005, 01:18 AM

No. Finding Nemo was a little boring, and The Incredibles seemed to waste some potential and was ok, not more.
Honestly I'm getting a little tired of the hype thats created around Pixar by the community...
The animated short that was shown before The incredibles was simply terrible crap and Cars... I don't know. Lets see.

-k

Lique
05-06-2005, 01:20 AM
The price for ultimate toybox is way too steep eh? $100 for 3 dvds. So what's new in this new set? Did they put the content from the toybox 3rd disc plus extra features? or they are completely new stuff?

Jozvex
05-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Damn... don't think that version ever hit my shores.:sad:

I think it did because one of my friends has had it for years! Though maybe they got in while on an overseas trip or something.

halo
05-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Whooopie!! Now I can watch my fav animated film in 5.1

you could before...

AJ
05-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Honestly I'm getting a little tired of the hype thats created around Pixar by the community...

Maybe... just maybe, different people have different opinions...?

Stranger things have happened! :p

That aside, I also can't see the major benefits over the Ultimate Toybox (aside from us poor PAL people didn't get any commentaries with ours). Still for those who don't own either (or, 'fools' as they're medically known) it looks like a good buy.

rockcoach
05-06-2005, 03:21 PM
as much as i love pixar, and at the risk of being unpopular round these parts, dosen't anyone else think that toy story is a rip off of henson's "the Christmas Toy"? i like the film, and i always presumed it was a take on the christmas toy, but i was dissapointed to find there are no credits for it.
i searched the net thinkin there would be loads of reference to this but there's not much. here's one guy goin a bit over the top about everything pixar do being a rip off of henson stuff...
http://www.digitalmediafx.com/Columns/JimHill/07hensonpixar1.html

don't know if i agree with all the other things he compares..

punnw01
05-06-2005, 05:39 PM
you guys shouldn't bother with this... and just wait til 2009 when the ultimate uber box set with TS1, 2 AND 3 comes out. best box set ever!! and that will be tenth anniversary for TS2 also.

Bentagon
05-06-2005, 08:11 PM

-kAnd honestly I'm getting a little tired of quite some people insinuating different tastes as being "hype" or "fanboyism". We feel the stories they create are great, so tell me why we should not like Pixar. Some people seem to have the feeling that others think more of films just because they are created by Pixar. I'm getting the feeling that some people start to do the opposite. THEY feel that it's not a good film, so the others' opinions must be HYPE!

Anywho, that aside, I can't wait for it to come. I've still got an old VHS lying around, and was planning to purchase the DVD, but I'll wait for now! Really looking forward to the special features, whether or not they've already been in the ToyBox, since I've not seen that one.

- Benjamin

victor throe
05-06-2005, 09:14 PM
i thought the short 'Boundin' was one of the best things i had ever seen ever!

the enthiusiasm of the team that worked on it really shined through.

whats not to like?

My Fault
05-06-2005, 11:17 PM

Trollin, trollin, trollin, keep them troll-ee's trollin.....

L.Rawlins
05-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Looks like the added stuff is the featurettes and Cars thing..commentary is the same..if it's cheap enough I'll get it to have those, but really, the ToyBox was so much those new materials better be AMAZING to justify it. One of these days I'd like a DTS mix on a Pixar film too. :shrug:

Finding Nemo.

chow-mein
05-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Wow, did I start up something bad here by posting a little sarcastic note about Pixar? Please, don't let that get your blood pressure up, it's only a silly comment about an entertainment company. If you find their products to your liking, by all means enjoy them! I understand that many who have an interest in computer graphics and computer animation views Pixar as the "best" in the industry. I have no desire to spit on anyone's bean curd, especially regarding their views on Pixar. If you like them great, more power to you man!

Kai01W
05-07-2005, 07:07 PM
And honestly I'm getting a little tired of quite some people insinuating different tastes as being "hype" or "fanboyism". We feel the stories they create are great, so tell me why we should not like Pixar. Some people seem to have the feeling that others think more of films just because they are created by Pixar. I'm getting the feeling that some people start to do the opposite. THEY feel that it's not a good film, so the others' opinions must be HYPE!
- Benjamin

You see, your post and that of some others is exactly what I meant. BTW.: Who is >we<?
I know a few people who were also a little or quite disappointed by Pixars last two movies.
With Hype I referred more to the buzz thats going on at certain boards. I mean, look what happened when the news came up Disney would make toystory 3 on their own!
Like the end of the world was near. Disney the devil.
Look, I know many animators would love to get a job at Pixar and probably quite right so, but in the end its just a company, which is not guaranteed to put out great movies (and I think the last two sort of showed that...)

Lets get back to work... ;-)

-k

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2005, 07:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.