PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Approximation Editor Help

AndrewHwang
05-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone, im having some issues rendering out my displacement map in maya using mental ray, im using the mental ray approximation editor and for my displacement approximation i am using spatial, min subdivs at 3 and max at 7, same goes for the subdivision approximation. When it renders out it has a nice render time of about 2 minutes but it only generates 2 million polys, my displacement count in zbrush was at 4 million. when i raise my subdivisions to just 4 and 7 it jumps like crazy to 3 hrs of render time and overshoots generating 400 million polys,but gives an exact render of how it had looked in zbrush. i was wondering if anybody knew some other settings that would allow me to generate somehwere close to 4 million polys. my base mesh is 32,000 faces and zbrush mesh is 4 million, dmap texture size is 4096x4096 thanks to anyone that can help.
-Andrew

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2005, 01:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.