PDA

View Full Version : photo restoration

leho
05-05-2005, 12:10 PM
ok i found link from the photoshop tutorial thread about photo restoration but this one did'nt actually teach anything. it only showed what can be done in photoshop. can anyone tell me something about it? i learned myself a bit but thats not enough. i would very much like to know how to get rid of the effect that is coming while scanning these old rough/bumpy photos. or anything else? i would appreciate it, thnx guys

oh and here's the picture i tried to colorize and smooth a little bit. it's just a practise. i'm doing it for the first time, so...
Picture (http://www.zone.ee/cuadros/vanaema.jpg?2)

Voldron
05-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Yeah you really have to teach yourself about restoration and develop your techniques like I have, or you learn from some one how does it all the time, like I have lol. I love using the clone tool to remove burns and tears in photos. But it won't work if faces are destroyed, cause then you are almost screwed unless you can find a photo of that person and rebuild the face. As for scratches, same technique, clone tool. Then use a brush to color in areas and adjust the blending mode, opacity, and fill accordingly. I use multiply and overlay alot and adjust. There are other techniques I use, but I don't want to give away my secrets hehe

leho
05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
secrets? haha. thats why we have cgtalk - to help others when they're stuck. i don't need help to remove scratches but i need help to remove weird/old bumpy texture like this (http://www.zone.ee/cuadros/Clipboard01.jpg?2)

Voldron
05-05-2005, 01:57 PM
yeah those can be a pain, switch to LAB and choose the A channel and Gaussian Blur it, now the same to B. That should do it.

dbclemons
05-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Look here:

http://retouchpro.com/

-David

leho
05-05-2005, 06:12 PM
thnx guys, i'll try these anytime i get a chance ;)

leho
05-05-2005, 08:51 PM
yeah those can be a pain, switch to LAB and choose the A channel and Gaussian Blur it, now the same to B. That should do it.

ok it doesn't work. blurring channel A and B. no change at all :S

ok well i dit it like bluring the brightness channel or smth and then changeing to grayscale. i got rid of those

kraal
05-05-2005, 11:52 PM
um that is a scanning issue that your scanner software should be able to get rid of off the bat its called a morie pattern

Fly3D
05-06-2005, 12:11 AM
um that is a scanning issue that your scanner software should be able to get rid of off the bat its called a morie pattern

Actually, that's not a moire pattern. Some of the old photo paper was textured like that and as the photo get's moved around (slid in and out of album pages, etc.) the surface gets scratched and the colour (black) gets removed from tops of the bumps on the texture. No moire there, just a worn out photo.:)

dbclemons
05-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Try using the Noise Filter: Dust & Scratches. It blurs the edges a lot but if you do it on a separate layer you can mask out everything else, and that might work for you.

-David

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2005, 02:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.