PDA

View Full Version : triscars

fireball
05-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi folks!

First of all: I'm sorry if my problem has already been answered in the forums. I didn't know where to look exactly because I simply don't know which "keyword" does fit my problem.

Okay: For some reason LW 8.2 renders these strange subpatch-marks, where the original polygon-flow goes. (sorry for the sloppy texture, but atm I'm just fooling around there =)
I assume the reason for that problem might be, that the model I'm am using does mostly consist of tris instead of quads.
I know that's not the optimal way to model an object but so far it has been the only method that really worked out for me. So rebuilding all the characters with quads would be my last choice...it's pretty much out of the question.

I hope that someone knows how to get rid of those marks, or has an idea how to make them less visible. The ideas or (hopefully) the solution does not have to be perfect.Compromises are part of that project. The "production" behind that modell has no commercial purpose at all. Its solely an ego trip of the persons involved.

Kind regards,
fireball

Edit: Typo

telamon
05-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Could we see a wireframe-shaded screen grab from modeler ? Is the model OK ?

I think that could be either :

Two polygons sharing the same exact four points. Type shft+i for unify polygon.
An unwanted triangle caused by welding / merging points. In modeler, pen-select the polygons in the area and deselect them individually, there might be an unseen polygon that stresses the SDS algorithm.

LWDeni
05-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi Fireball,

If you are sure the Problem isnt found in the Topology then read on :)

I go a similar problem here.
Deleting one of my Morph Targets helps me out.
Just try it. Delete all Morphs and render it. If the Render looks ok - u have to find the Morph Map causing this.
If thats the Problem - here is a workaround.
Animate or Pose your Model. Save out MDD. Get a "clean" Model. Map the MDD file onto it.

happy wavin
SSoul

fireball
05-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info so far. As it seems its not a general problem of using lots of tris (which is good news for me) ;)

I'll clean up the mesh regarding your hints. If that wont stop the unwanted effect I'll post again (this time including the wireframe)

Kind regards,
fireball

WillCameron
05-06-2005, 03:20 AM
it could also be shadow mapped lights, if your using them. I've noticed what looks like
this sometimes if i have the shadow map size / fuzziness set too low. This is also probably
related to the smoothing angle of the surface, so in conjunction wqith the lighting it
may be happening.

- Will.

fireball
05-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Oh my, it's really been the morphs!

Hey I would have never figured out _that_ one by myself...
Thanks to anyone and especialy to LWDeni ;)

Regards,
fireball

telamon
05-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the info so far. As it seems its not a general problem of using lots of tris (which is good news for me) ;)

Kind regards,
fireball

Wow sorry I did not understand your first wording (triscars) obviously, the problem must relate to the use of tris. Try to avoid tris from sharing the same edge / points. unify tris as much as possible and make sure your polygon flow is ok.

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2005, 12:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.