PDA

View Full Version : webcomic/comicbook, colour artist needed

Astaroth.NL
05-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Hiya good folks,

I'm seriously thinking about making a comicbook, but on a own pase. So doing the progress in the form as a webcomic seems an ideal solution. However currently I am on a worldtrip and unable to do cg, plus even if I could, I make a lazy colourer, plus too unexperienced.

Here's is my first concept page. It's a nightmare from wich point the story will unravel. I have a whole story concept in mind but it seems unwise to publish that, so ask if interested. The comic in my eyes must be based around a superior story with graphics to support it, unlike many comicbooks. It's gonna be about character progress from birth and his choices, humor, future politics and most likely an unhappy but mind opening end.

If you like the page enough to join up plz post here with contact info, mabe a reference project, and I'll contact you, it would be even better if you would allready colour the page wich makes it much more clearer to see if we match up. My idea of colours would be watercolour style, and between sketchy and clean. With colours and contrast matching emotions and events. Hope you like it enough to join, see link below for the concept page. C&C might be better posted in me wip thread about this.

http://gb.punt.nl/index.php?foto=true&id=222821&fgroep=5461

MeandCg
05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
This sounds great

Astaroth.NL
05-21-2005, 10:36 AM
cheap bump :(. Still need a colourer

denntanos
05-21-2005, 10:51 PM
its imposible to read the website

denntanos
05-21-2005, 11:11 PM
its imposible to read the website

Astaroth.NL
05-22-2005, 07:30 AM
uhm yes, it's dutch, but the link works and opens directly on the comic page, wich is all you need, more Larom art in that gallery now btw, click thumbs left on that page (bottem last)

malcolmvexxed
05-26-2005, 04:42 AM
hi. i'm a professional colorist, been doing it for about 4 years. I have too many projects i'm working on to do this but id' like to make some friendly suggestions.

1)Be very Certain you want to go directly from pencils to colors. even in a web comic your style would separate better with inking because of the simplicity and if not you can at least consider digital inking with photoshop to bring it out more

2)if you do decide to go with pencils>colors you'll need to tighten it up considerably for the process to work. Kubert (cant remember which one, andy i think) is a good example of how tight your pencils need to be on the edges for the process to be effective. The new conan series from dark horse is also good reference. What you have to keep in mind is that for coloring the edges of different objects in the page have to be separated in a flats channel, and right now that would not only be impossible, the coloring would make the soft lineart disappear. You might even want to look at a book named Wood boy #1 which i colored that came out two weeks ago, we digitally inked that.

3)Even if you want to have someone else color it you'll probably want to give them a color chart for the characters and environments i don't see one currently

your stuff looks very good though good luck with your project

Astaroth.NL
05-26-2005, 09:16 AM
I was kind off hoping that the line art could be nicely photoshopped to make it pitchblack, retouche for best feel, and then overlay the lineart in a layer with appropiate layer effect so the lines won't disappeaer, I achieved this in a previous attempt, though not perfect, hoping I can make a nice batch progress for prepping the line art for colouring, trying to download ps now so I can do some tests myself, though I allready sucks with mouse getting nightmares about the touchpad, so should buy at least a lil mouse.

But you being a pro colourer, what I can read is, you split the objects in layers and then neatly colour withing the lines? Does this mean that there is no proper layer mode for overlaying the lines? Do kno that I think a watercolour "not to neat and tight" is something I think'll make a nice mix between them and my lines, offcourse I have to see this for being right, darn just hope I can get ps on here for some testing myself. If my idea works I hope I can get it done with out adjusting all the objects edges, let me know what you think.

You are darn right about the colour of the characters, my bad :)

Thnx for your comments and encouragement!

malcolmvexxed
05-26-2005, 07:45 PM
okay the photoshop 'retouching' you're talking about is the digital inking process. it's... cumbersome and unless you're able to find someone who's done it it's not worth the hassle. i need you to clarify' batch process' a little bit. in comic book coloring terms that refers to photoshop actions that process pages together, usually for post production work to flatten layers, get files ready for the printer etc.

no not quite, you break the page into sections based on the different objects and use the lasso tool to select the items in a chanel which is usually named 'flats' in lower case. make sure you keep all of the naming conventions the same if your'e going to be trading files. the pencils or inks should always be called line art the selections channel should be called flats. the 'layer mode' means you would just go with line art on a layer, colors on a layer, and a screen layer (which i wont' begin to explain it would take too long) and don't have a line art channel in that case unless you want to do your line knockouts that way. the other way is to do what i'm doing in the webcomic linked in my signature there's a sample page i'm working on on there where i'm combining the line art and coloring. or check the link to my site in my signature i have a bunch of coloring work in there that should show you how pages look.

malcolmvexxed
05-26-2005, 07:51 PM
here's a page I digitally inked and colored I hope it makes more sense when you see it this way.

http://ess-bee.com/imgs/img/wb01_03.jpg

Astaroth.NL
06-07-2005, 12:05 PM
malcom, replied at this post incl. new colourtest, lets continue the discussion there, thnx!

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2244742#post2244742

malcolmvexxed
06-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Well first if you're looking to do a webcomic you should also check the sketch forum's webcomic subforum. there are a few of us working on comics monthly and giving each other feed back and it might be good for you. I've had several people ask me the industry standard way to prepare a page for coloring so i'll probably do a tutorial and post it there.

second i want to definitely keep this discussion in this forum if you're still looking for help. i'd like to see more traffic come here not less lol. are you gonna just do this on your own now and not look for help?

Astaroth.NL
06-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Yes I'm still looking for help, cause for 1 there are alot more able colour artists out there then me (though practice is always good), plus my laptop and traveling will keep my colouringrate pretty slow in alot of ways. So a colourer is still wanted and encouraged to give this project a go!

Malcom, if you do finifh a tutorial, I would be obliged to be informed about. I will def. check out the webcomics subforum, thnx for everything so far.

malcolmvexxed
06-09-2005, 11:42 PM
So a colourer is still wanted and encouraged to give this project a go!

Malcom, if you do finifh a tutorial, I would be obliged to be informed about. I will def. check out the webcomics subforum, thnx for everything so far.

are you actively recruiting? if not there are several options. go to the painter forum, go to the photoshop forum (i'm over there a lot helping) go to the finished 2d forum, find people whose work you like, participate in their threads, try to get them to not only look at coloring your work but coming to the collabo forum to feel like a part of your project. The key is that if you actively need help you don't only look in this forum the site is too compartmentalized for that. people have a habit with their forums, i know it's the case with me and everybody else here. Painter and photoshop are the two programs everyone colors with in comics so that's your starting point, just make sure not to hijack people's threads. pm's to the folks whose work you like with a link to the thread might be a better idea.

i'll do the tutorial when i can. i'm busy making a tutorial on excel spreadsheets but i'll get around to it when i figure what forum it should go in.

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2005, 11:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.