PDA

View Full Version : Steve Blake - Circus Auditions - Robo the Clown

steveblake
05-05-2005, 03:17 AM
This is my first time in a forum Session...

So, inspired by this image:
http://www.mrblake.com/wips/00_inspiration.gif

I decided to do a clowny Cannon Ball guy with my new RoboRig. I was thinking that he'd be so inept at this stuff that he wouldn't even make it into the barrel of the cannon the right way round.

Here's some early thumbs.. after he's just stepped back onto one of the balls.
http://www.mrblake.com/wips/01_robothumbs.gif

nb: Somewhat strange to have a Robot doing this stuff I know. It's really because I've only just put him togther and kind of want to take him for a test run...

:)

Slurry
05-05-2005, 03:29 AM
That looks awesome Steve.

It'll be a fun and challenging session. Good luck!

Art

steveblake
05-07-2005, 12:22 PM
OK so here's a step-by-step description of the 'action', at the moment it's far too long, but I'll draw up the boards this evening and and have a go at reducing down to 10 seconds.

"Robo the Clown"
=============
Scene: dark stage, spotlight etc on 1 cannon (with a sign saying "back in 5 mins"), ladder and a couple of cannon balls.

It starts with a clown being roughly pushed in (by someone offscreen) - he stumbles then trips over a ball (hat drops off). Picking himself up, he wipes the dust off himself and his hat (angrily staring at the offscreen character) then he notices the ball, looks around and realizes there's a cannon nearby too. So, using all his energy he carries the heavy cannonball up a small ladder and drops it in the barrel of the cannon. Looking in, he notices something and peers down into the front of cannon. Pulling is head out he looks puzzled (he realizes his hat is now missing) rolls up sleaves, and reaches down into the Cannon and fishes out... an old shoe (he sniffs it, then throws it away), then a fish (he sniffs it too, then swalls it whole), etc. Feeling around inside, finally the hat turns up. He plonks it on head and in doing so losses balance on the ladder and steps back onto one of the other cannonballs lying around, then stumbles around wildly (see sketches above). Finally falling forwards towards cannon, he grabs at the barrel and tries to get up, but the cannon barrel slowly higes downwards (under his weight). He then falls flat on his face. As he tries to get up, the Cannon leans downwards further and the 1st heavy ball slowly rolls out and falls out onto his head <boink>... he's knocked out... (birdys/stars circle his head etc)..End

===============

steveblake
05-07-2005, 12:26 PM
hmm, re-reading this it all sounds closer to like 20-30 seconds (or more)... I'll have to take some chunks out.

Meanwhile, he's a shot of my clown... 'Robo'..

http://www.mrblake.com/wips/roboRig.jpg

steveblake
05-07-2005, 10:45 PM
I've thought of an alternative ending:

From the very start we see that the cannon has a long fuse-wire trailing along to the edge of the screen. Almost straight away its' lit (or even from the very beginning) and throught the 10 seconds the small flame travels along and up the wire and to the base of the cannon... meanwhile Robo-clown does his thing (described above) up until the part where he's near the end, still flailing around on the cannon ball, finally he falls forwad *into* the cannon, at which point the cannon fires and he shoots off...

more work, but a better ending? :shrug:

Aenvil
05-08-2005, 03:28 PM
sound like a good idea to me, That way the audience can see what's happening. There in on the joke.

Like your character, although I think his face would read better if it was white.

Can't wait to see things. :buttrock:

I'll be checking.

steveblake
05-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Ænvil, you know what - you're absolutely right.. he does need brightening up!

...here's my take on it (cue photoshop):
http://www.mrblake.com/wips/makeover.jpg

So, I really liked the idea of a white face, but after playing around for a bit I thought that a pale face, hands and stripes didn't read so well. Then I got to work with all my paints, crayons, and coloured pencils.. and threw some garish hues at him..

waddyathink?

Andini
05-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Personally, I liked him better before. But, it's your call. I like the idea of different colored hands and shirt, though.

steveblake
05-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Yah, maybe he did go a little too far the other way... I'll pull it all back a bit and try a few less "hypnotic" options... We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback!

steveblake
05-13-2005, 10:16 PM
so here's a quick update showing the (modified) boards:

http://www.mrblake.com/wips/boards.gif

1. Clown comes in juggling, and balancing on a ball (cannon is lit & ready to fire).
2. Throws the balls high in the air
3-5. The balls come down one by one, hitting him on the head
6-8. He stumbles back, and falls into the cannon
9. scrabbling to get free
10. He's fired into the air.

steveblake
05-13-2005, 10:19 PM
off now to build the cannon... :)

Slurry
05-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Nice boards Steve! You've got like three auditions in one! Acrobatics, Juggling and Human Cannon Ball!
I look forward to seeing you animation. Keep it coming!

Art

AmirP
05-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Great idea :thumbsup:

Sounds like alot of action in this, and its much closer to 10 seconds, Nice work on the tumbnails, Ill be sure to keep checking this one :)

Remi
05-16-2005, 07:16 AM
I like the idea...great boards....look forward to seeing more!!!:)

Paul F Diaz
05-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Great idea Steve! Really fun, can't wait to see how it turns out:)

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2005, 12:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.