PDA

View Full Version : Edge Problem with PS (n00b question)

Yossarian!
05-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm having some beginner problems with elements I create in Photoshop (6 and Elements 2) then drop over video in an NLE. In the NLE I get a thin grey outline around the elements, which isn't too flattering (please see the example attached below). The elements look fine layered over a static background in Photoshop. I know the problem must be caused by something basic but I'm not sure what. Is this an antialiasing issue? Or something to do with Photoshop creating premultiplied transparencies? And if so how can I work around it? (I don't have any straight/premultiply options in the editor)

Thanks

Voldron
05-05-2005, 02:33 AM
premultiplied transparencies?

Bingo. Redo it with a blank background. It should work.

Yossarian!
05-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Ah, thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it. I'm not quite sure about the blank background part of the fix. Can I trouble you with a follow up question?

Do you mean replace the transparent background with a solid? I don't ever use the channels palette - to make a transparency I just pen around my object, make it a selection, contract it in a notch, CTL+SH+I then cut and make sure its sitting on a transparent layer. Is this creating the problem? Does this method by default create premultiplied alphas? (I don't have the option of defining mattes in my NLE, so I've always stuck to this method out of necessity)

Voldron
05-05-2005, 07:32 AM
no what I mean is start with a background that has nothing on it, you can do this by setting it up with a new document or you can simple create a layer then toss the background layer, that is the solid, into the trash can. Then create another layer and start working. As for making the alpha that only works in certain things, not sure what some are but I use them alot in 3d.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2005, 07:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.