PDA

View Full Version : For those people who dont like Art !

FreshFish801
05-04-2005, 11:57 PM
I was reading a treatise on painting by Leonardo Da Vinci (Great Book) in this book he records all his knowledge about learning of painting. I recomend this book to everybody its really great book. His actual words are recorded in this book. Inspirational book.

In it he says:

" He who despises painting loves neither philosophy nor nature"

If you scorn painting, which is the sole imitator of all the manifest works of nature, you will certinaly be scorning a subtle invention, which with philosophical and subtle speculation considers all manner of forms: sea, land, trees, animals, grasses, flowers, all of which are enveloped in light and shade. Truly this is science, the legitimate daughter of nature, because painting is born of that nature; because all visible things have been brought forth by nature and it is among these that painting is born.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Just some inspiring thought :-)

GOTgraphic
05-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Leonardo is the man!

Is "FreshFish801" your phone number (801FreshFish)? :D

umbrellasky
05-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Interesting topic, thanks for posting :D

paperclip
05-05-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm sure there aren't too many people who don't like art on this forum.... but I liked that quote (I think I have the book you refer to, 'The art of painting' by Leonardo? Is that the one you refer to?

FreshFish801
05-05-2005, 05:27 PM
This book is so great. The name of the book " Leonardo on Painting " Edited by Martin Kemp , Selected and translated by Martin Kemp and Margaret Walker.

GET THIS BOOK ! ! ! Its an AWSOME BOOK :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The book known as Leonardo's Treatise on Painting, first published in 1651, compromises a compilation of quotations, described by one translator as a 'chaos of inteligence.'

paintbox
05-05-2005, 06:06 PM
While parts of Leonardo's writings have been published, it wasn't untill the 19th century that some people actually collected all of the works and published them in the notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci.

Some dedicated folks at project Gutenberg created a digital copy. Its wonderful to read and the excerpts you mention FreshFish801, are in there in the section "The Treatise on Painting"

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=5000

Personally I find the fables and jests section one of my favourite parts.

The only thing you miss from the Project Gutenberg edition is well, the wonderful pictures accompanied in the 'real' books.

[EDIT] I did a search on the notebooks and I found they have re-published the notebooks! (I tried to find them a few years ago without much luck) It's on amazon ofcourse,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0486225720/002-1259298-1705650?v=glance

paperclip
05-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Yup, that's the one I have. Quite a little gem.

chow-mein
05-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Leonardo also thought that sculpting was inferior to painting. This might have something to do with his rival Michelangelo. Another good read would be "A Season Of Giants" by Vicenzo Labella and John McWilliams.

paperclip
05-07-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm currently reading 'Renaissance Rivals'. It's about the rivalry between the leading artists of the renaissance and is a fun read.

Per-Anders
05-07-2005, 07:16 PM
You guys might also want to read the two classics "The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Irving Stone, a biography of Michelangelo which is both informative and a thoroughly good read, and "The Lives of the artists" by Georgio Vasari (again very informative and an excellent read, though slightly more dry). Michelangelo seemed to rather think of Leonardo as a stuck up ponce surrounded by "yes men", those two never really saw eye to eye hehe.

NOOB!
05-07-2005, 07:53 PM
" He who despises painting loves neither philosophy nor nature"

If you scorn painting, which is the sole imitator of all the manifest works of nature, you will certinaly be scorning a subtle invention, which with philosophical and subtle speculation considers all manner of forms: sea, land, trees, animals, grasses, flowers, all of which are enveloped in light and shade. Truly this is science, the legitimate daughter of nature, because painting is born of that nature; because all visible things have been brought forth by nature and it is among these that painting is born.

Leonardo Da Vinci

in my eyes,thats sounds like gibberish,lol.

*did i just say in my EYES that SOUNDS like gibberish?*

anywho..all he had to say was, *hey people,if u wanna be a great artist,be very observant*

but no...... he had to right a novel :thumbsup:

haha..sorry,NOOB! ruins yet another topic :D

cha0t1c1
05-07-2005, 08:15 PM
A little more refinement NOOB!, just a little....do u have to act with such immaturity, being a person with your level of education...

chow-mein
05-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Leonard's notebooks were referred to as "a chaos of intellengence." I attended a show of 16th century art while I was attending school in Chicago. The drawings they have on exhibit are a true marvel to behold. It looks like it was drawn yesterday, especailly the delicate use of line and tone on some of Michelangelo's and Raphael's drawings...stuff of legends.

FreshFish801
05-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Thats a little harsh what you said about Leonardo you just insulted "The Great Masters" of the known world. That is a very BIG insult. The masters have painted masterpices 600 years ago, 600 years ago they produced paintings that will stay forever, their names will never be forgotten or their works. What that means they are immortal. We need to respect them not bash them ! ! !

very foolish of you :shrug:

NOOB!
05-08-2005, 07:26 AM
lol,not meant to offend,thats just my way.

i just think people are looking into things too much,its great to be inspired,but when it comes to the point where ur defending sumone *over a joke* i might add,hehe it becomes a lil worrying.

yes it was foolish,but agen,thats my way,heh,i joke about things,taking art too seriously will DESTROY US ALL!!

i'm not bashing,i luv all art.i just don't wanna have to take my dictionary out everytime i wanna be inspired.*joke*

i'm more on the surrealist *dali* side of classic art,which probably explains my attitude.

right..

dali is my master!!! lol

*runs away from angry NOOB! killas*

seriously guys,don't hurt me.i'm too young to die.and i'm just trying to lighten things up,

cha0t1c1 : hey,yeh i have quite a bit of knowledge in art,but i wudn't define my attitude as *immature* i just open my eyes to reality,as i sed earlier ,reading into things too much will just drift u into sumthin else that isn't art,more pyschotic.

example: i did i painting sum time back for an art show,a lady,artist aswell,sed to me....*wow i luv those trees and clouds,they have such ambience,does this represent ur fear?*

as much as i appreciate her liking my art............they where nothing but trees and clouds,heh...nothing more.do u see my point about reading into things too much?

obviously this was a top class place,so i replied *yes,its my fear....uh huh...mumble mumble* but u get my point.

i guess to sum in up *look at me writing a novel now* i'm justing saying,don't looking into it too much.

much respect to all u guys in this thread.

later!

FreshFish801
05-08-2005, 07:01 PM
give some RESPECT MAN ! ! !

Thats all dude, :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

NOOB!
05-08-2005, 07:16 PM
give some RESPECT MAN ! ! !

Thats all dude, :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

:twisted: :thumbsup:

lol,i respect whats his name just fine.:D

TheCleaner
05-08-2005, 07:54 PM
example: i did i painting sum time back for an art show,a lady,artist aswell,sed to me....*wow i luv those trees and clouds,they have such ambience,does this represent ur fear?*

as much as i appreciate her liking my art............they where nothing but trees and clouds,heh...nothing more.do u see my point about reading into things too much?

obviously this was a top class place,so i replied *yes,its my fear....uh huh...mumble mumble* but u get my point.

i guess to sum in up *look at me writing a novel now* i'm justing saying,don't looking into it too much.

much respect to all u guys in this thread.

later!

Id say i agree with that.. it is annoying when ANYTHING is read into too much.. literature gets torn apart word by word, until any meaning as a whole which it had, is destroyed... i remeber studying literature (compulsary) and every poem in the anthology would have notes beside each line, on what it meant or represented.. i tell you, it ruined half the poems in there for me, as i was sick of them by the end, as id looked to deep into it

same goes with films, some people cant help it (id say its a disorder) to fine tooth comb a film for its mistakes, then boast about it.... totally ruining the film for themselves, rather than just taking it for what it is

anyway, im going way off point here, but its all pretty similar, in any for of 'art' (image,sound,motion picture,literature,etc) try to interpret too much can kill something off

Damn, must pull away from cgtalk for just a while to write this essay on 'The Portrayal of Society in Art'... so i will have to put my 'i interpret this n that' hat on now, totally going agaist everything i just said... how ironic !:wise:

???
05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
For those who dont like art, are actualy sad peoples.

Sad peoples = No love
No love = No emotion
No emotion = Depression
Depression = Suicide

TheCleaner
05-08-2005, 08:14 PM
For those who dont like art, are actualy sad peoples.

Sad peoples = No love
No love = No emotion
No emotion = Depression
Depression = Suicide

so in the grand scheme of things, those who dont like art, will commit suicide.... :eek:

though i doubt there is anyone who does not like any 'art'... art comes in so many forms, even the 'art art'

???
05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Yes, ive meet alot of suicidal peoples here in japan and since these peoples hate the world around them. What can i say...

Tuning
Writing
Imaging
Sculpting
Animating
Developing

What should they do with ther life without them ?
Kill peoples and distroy things.

Art is about happyness.

TheCleaner
05-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Kill peoples and distroy things.

to some people thats their 'art' and their happiness.. worrying as it is, the word 'art' is usually used to define someone best skill.. so.. does art respresent various forms of human skill? and those with no skill, nor love for anyone elses skill, are simple 'lost souls'

Kargokultti
05-08-2005, 08:49 PM
I think the definition of science and art was something quite different in the 1500s than what it is nowadays. And the extent of a person's capability for disappreciating a work of art would probably have been, mildly put, something else in a time when seeing a 2D representation of the world was as rare as, well, very rare.

Painting still is the science it was in the 1500s, but science today is the science of the 21 century.

???
05-08-2005, 08:52 PM
It's not about souls, its about practicing, learning and determination. Just like the homosapiens way of communication using paint art found on caves.

Anyone in this world can create something if they know how or how well you've practiced. You can train your pet, to do crazy things. Is it born with skills or is it education ?

Human is intelligent to manipulate objects and to communicate using speech. Thanks to ur curiosity we discover science, just like we discover fire.

Peoples in poor countries cant afford for education. No money... no familly.. spend ther life searching for food.

Our society as made it that way.
It's all about produicing or nothing.
Taking peoples life and distroying things is not produicing.

Distroying i mean blewing someone's goods. lets say.. burn your house because i want to.

???
05-08-2005, 09:58 PM
to some people thats their 'art' and their happiness..

Killing and distroy is not art.
Killing and distroy is not happyness.
Killing and distroy is not skills.
Killing and distroy is not a moral issue.

"pain of loss" (animals feel this emotion too).
Humans can kill now and agian, so can animals - we are no different.

Kargokultti
05-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Killing and distroy is not art.
Tell that to Teemu Mäki (a Finnish performance artist who made a video in which he killed a cat and then masturbated on it).

Teemu Mäki's old news, as is Damien Hirst with his animals in formaldehyde, but I'm sure there's still plenty of deranged bohemians out there, weaving plans against the neighbourhood pets. A more modern one would be this Finnish artist who makes sculptures out of different animal parts, kind of taxidermist collages, but I don't remember the artist's name.

My point is that - at least in my vocabulary - art is not an adjective. A thing may be art, but it being art doesn't guarantee that its good (or bad), moral (or immoral), intelligent (or stupid).

Chris Bacon
05-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Interesting.....

Personaly I like art...especialy animation.....however im not a fan abstract work.....like Svankmajar(if thats how you spell it) its just way to wierd for me

???
05-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Tell that to Teemu Mäki (a Finnish performance artist who made a video in which he killed a cat and then masturbated on it).

Teemu Mäki's old news, as is Damien Hirst with his animals in formaldehyde, but I'm sure there's still plenty of deranged bohemians out there, weaving plans against the neighbourhood pets. A more modern one would be this Finnish artist who makes sculptures out of different animal parts, kind of taxidermist collages, but I don't remember the artist's name.

My point is that - at least in my vocabulary - art is not an adjective. A thing may be art, but it being art doesn't guarantee that its good (or bad), moral (or immoral), intelligent (or stupid).

Teemu Mäki african artist ?
That as to be the most disturbing art ive ever seen: http://www.teemumaki.com/vssikiot.jpg
And it's real too :eek:

In that case, i dont like the way how peoples use the word art as something called SKILLS.
I dont see any SKILLS in that terror.

Peoples who kill are sad from the inside, not nessecerly from the outside.
It's torture, plain and simple.

Kargokultti
05-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Nope. Not African. Finn-ish.

P.S. The fetus photo is probably taken at this museum of curiosities in St. Petersburg where they have these preserved fetuses and bits of people. So it's very likely that Teemu Mäki doesn't have a two-headed fetus in a jar in his desk drawer.

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2005, 06:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.