PDA

View Full Version : Using Maya Fur to render Grass?

dreamstruck
10-07-2002, 08:16 PM
I've just been playing around trying to figure out how to use Fur to render out grass. I can't seem to figure out how to get the grass to look real. I have tried adjusting all of the setting but my grass always looks very sparse and it takes forever to render one frame out. Anybody know where I could find a tutorial on how to use fur to render grass?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Mangaka604
10-13-2002, 05:09 AM
PaintFX instead? It's much easier if your just going for the normal kind of grass. If you want something specific in style you might be a little more limited however.

The problem with fur is that it renders it out in a conical shape instead of blades (like grass).

I've never tried to use Fur for grass before tho, so...but my first thought is to use PaintFX.

Cheers.

beaker
10-13-2002, 05:33 AM
Fur renders much faster than paintfx especially for fields of grass. Try getting a picture of grass and using it as a map for the color of the fur. Making different versions of the map for the tip color(lighter version of the image) and specular(much lighter version of the image). To get it so it isn't so sparce, up the amount of fur being rendered.

Here is one of my friends grass with maya fur:

http://thelightomelette.com/fur/FurAsGrass01.jpg

arogers
10-20-2002, 03:07 PM
Here is an xperiment with fur to create a grass field.

Fur can be very effective, if you use attractors you can even get your grass to blow in the wind!

Andy

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.