PDA

View Full Version : Medical Breakthrough!

Don Kayote
05-04-2005, 09:11 PM
"The Mummy" would have been cooler if they knew about this sooner >>LInk (http://www.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,30000-1180132-1,00.html)<<

Beamtracer
05-04-2005, 09:32 PM
That's really spooky!

It's more a medical breakthrough than an animation breakthrough. What's amazing is that this new Xray shows muscle and tissue in detail, and even in the right color. Normal Xray picks up bone very well, but usually fails with tissue.

Wouldn't it be spooky to have one of these scans of yourself. It spooks us because then we can see that we are just mere mortals. Flesh and blood.

If anything, this will take jobs away from 3D artists. A lot of people have jobs making medical 3D animations for doctors and medicos. These animations are used for lectures and training. The doctors won't need these so much any more, as they'll have lots of scans of the real thing.

PhilOsirus
05-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Yeah but it is unlikely that the doctor will be able to make a nifty presentation out of it by himself;)

Wes_Brown
05-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Amazing! This makes some of our persuits seem a little trivial doesn't it?

Don Kayote
05-04-2005, 11:27 PM
That's really spooky!

It's more a medical breakthrough than an animation breakthrough.

Actually, With the right optimization tool. It could be use for animation. Discovery Channel sure is going to be fun to watch :)

I can't wait to scan my goldfish :bounce:

BillB
05-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Damn but that's creepy.

js33
05-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Yes that is creepy. I imagine we will see use of this tech in movies and medical shows soon.

Cheers,
JS

Ordibble-Plop
05-05-2005, 07:16 AM
So which poor sucker gets to have a dose of rads in the name of art? :scream:

Jozvex
05-05-2005, 07:29 AM
That is truly incredible!!

PureFire
05-05-2005, 08:21 AM
whoah!...that sure is freaky...its like theyre ripping you apart a layer at a time

Q_B
05-05-2005, 08:42 AM
This can put that Gunter fellow out of expositions thou ...

xynaria
05-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Looking forward to the new giving up smoking ads :D

Bossgator
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
How long before CSI uses it on their show I wonder? Doesn't make for a very flattering picture does it?

JoeBananas
05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Wow! thatís amazing (if a bit creepy!) - 11 seconds for a whole scan as well. I wonder how long it'll be for real-time scanning? I don't know much about anatomy, but I'm sure real-time updates of the human body would help a lot in diagnosis

mummey
05-05-2005, 02:35 PM
"The Mummy" would have been cooler if they knew about this sooner >>LInk (http://www.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,30000-1180132-1,00.html)<<

I don't know if I want you guys to know that much about me... ;)

Don Kayote
05-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I don't know if I want you guys to know that much about me... ;)

But we want to know the real you from the inside. Y'know coz it's hard to look at you with all that toilet paper raped around you :)

mummey
05-05-2005, 03:00 PM
But we want to know the real you from the inside. Y'know coz it's hard to look at you with all that toilet paper raped around you :)

You forgot the elmer's glue and latex paint. :-P

Mr Majestic
05-05-2005, 05:46 PM
bah thats old we already saw this in "Hollow Man" :P

ajchung
05-09-2005, 11:46 AM
What's amazing is that this new Xray shows muscle and tissue in detail, and even in the right color. Normal Xray picks up bone very well, but usually fails with tissue.

Actually Computed Tomography scanners such as the one described in the news article only report tissue density values in a volumetric dataset. The colour is applied at the visualization stage by mapping density ranges to RGB values after segmentation based on known tissue densities. Soft tissue shows up very well even on older CT scanners, but there is difficulty distiguishing different types of soft tissue such as grey matter and white matter in the brain. Separation between air, fat and bone is excellent however. To help map the intricate stucture of blood vessels however, one often must take two scans, the second scan being made after the patient has been injected with a contrast agent so that the blood shows up better (i.e. with a higher Hounsfield value) in the 2nd scan. Subtracting one scan from the other yields the blood vessel detail.

For medical animations, CT scanners can only handle slow motions such as breathing and even then the patient must hold their breath for each key frame -- the exhaled position is particularly difficult. For animation of cardiac muscle of the beating heart, one would normally use Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) which not only is better at distiguishing the different types of soft tissues, it can also measure blood velocity. I had one such scan performed last week but it took an hour. But I can now attest to have seen my own beating heart.

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2005, 11:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.