PDA

View Full Version : Texas Chapter

Spacemanbob
05-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I don't claim to want to run this chapter since I maybe moving back to Los Angeles in the next year or two but are there any members that want to get a chapter going in Texas. Dallas, Houston?????

WickedSky
05-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I live in San Antonio. Texas is a big state. We should probably see how many current and future CGSociety members we can get to post to this thread and then look at possibly forming different city and college chapters.

Tex3D
05-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Im in Austin. I'd go to a meeting if it were in San Antonio or Houston. Maybed Dallas, but only if it was in motorcycle weather :D

-Dave

robinayles
05-05-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm in the Dallas area, but I don't mind visiting a different city to meet up with folks.

Especially Austin, its a wonderful place!

AndyMcc
05-05-2005, 09:04 PM
I live in:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----------------------------------

WickedSky
05-06-2005, 02:06 AM
I too would travel to Austin for a meeting.

Rookie
05-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Fort Worth here. If a Dallas chapter ever forms, I'll be there.

Drakmarr
05-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Austin here. I am also open to hooking up with anyone who lives here in austin for drinks if anyone is looking to network.

Spacemanbob
05-10-2005, 07:55 PM
I'll go to Austin.

unclebob
05-27-2005, 01:07 AM
I live in Bryan/College Station area, I can drive to Austin or Houston as each is only about 100 miles.

unclebob
06-09-2005, 01:20 AM
there has to be more than 8 of us in Texas, come on guys answer up.

Drakmarr
06-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah I really would like to see a chapter get started up, I suppose we could just start with this small of a number?

Joel Hooks
06-17-2005, 06:49 PM
I am in Dallas, but Austin is a fine place to visit.

Tex3D
06-17-2005, 06:59 PM
I guess we could start one with this small a number, Hell .. it might even be funner that way (more beer):)

Im not sure how exactly to start one, but I think I'll PM ole' Leanord and see if he has any pre-made info / startup tips. I think it'll fun and informative

-Dave

Drakmarr
06-17-2005, 07:26 PM
ok, get ahold of me if there is anything that I can do to assist.

unclebob
07-30-2005, 11:43 PM
bump and are we going to do anything with this ?

Tex3D
08-04-2005, 03:09 PM
I emailed Leo awhile back asking for info on starting up a chapter. I never recieved a reply or anything, and then I got kinda busy so it slid out from under my radar.

Im glad that you bumped this to remind me. If everyone is still interested, I'll go ahead and try and get more info again and see if we can kick this thing into gear.

10 years from now when the Texas chapter is the biggest and best, we can all look back and say "we were there FIRST you young punks!":twisted:

-Dave

Tex3D
08-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok guys.. Email sent.

I probably wont hear anything back from Leo untill after Siggraph. I'll post whatever I hear as soon as I get it.

After that I think we need a head count of who plans on attending the frist meeting. I can do a little scouting around town and find us a bar or restaurant that has a meeting room that we can use.

-Dave

unclebob
08-05-2005, 01:31 AM
that sounds great .. THANKS !! Austin would be the most central for us. I'm in unless it happens to be a weekend I'm on-call ad I won't have a new schedule until next month.

bob

Drakmarr
08-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Austin is convenient for me.

SkyePhelps
08-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Hey Guys... I just noticed yall are trying to get a chapter started. I'm always interested in meeting new people and the like. I'm in Dallas, but I guess Austin is always a possibility as long as I'm not crunching that weekend :deal:

jgr77777
08-30-2005, 01:40 AM
I would be interested in a Texas chapter.

Tex3D
08-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Hey guys, Im still trying to get this thing all set up with the CGS head honchos

I havent heard anything back from them, but thats probably due to post-Siggraph stuff and general busy issues. I sent another email today to see if we can get this bad boy rollin'

To be continued.....

-Dave

dshelton
09-14-2005, 08:35 PM
I am in Irving, TX and have quite a few cgsociety members sitting within 30 feet of me at work, lol
the thing is with Texas being so big it might be a good idea to start up area chapters ie. one in dallas, Austin, and Houston and consider one of them as the main parent chapter to meet up for Texas functions
but can have regular meetings ie. once a month in the local area

I know even though Austin is only 3 hours from me it is hard to get away

SkyePhelps
09-14-2005, 09:12 PM
That's a very good point, I wouldn't mind attending monthly meetings up here in Dallas or Irving and then everyonce in a while having the big Texas meeting. I think it would be much easier to get people involved in their home towns and then have a annual meeting in say Austin. So what needs to happen now to get all this going?

Tex3D
09-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Having 2 seperate Chapters might not be a bad idea at all, but good luck with that...

I have sent 4 different emails about getting at least ONE Chapter started, and I haven't heard anything back at all from CGS so at this point setting up 2 chapters seems like a long shot.

But anyone else is free to email these guys and see if they have better luck. :shrug:

-Dave

Drakmarr
09-15-2005, 12:42 AM
wow still no news for when this chapter is going to be started? How come some of the other places have already had meetings and we still havent even got a location solidified.

dshelton
09-15-2005, 12:51 AM
we are still waiting to get all the information we need to officially start a chapter.
will keep you posted as I get more information. I am also waiting to hear back from Andrew Plumer. being he is in Australia the timerame difference adds for delay in response time. Hoping to hear back soon.

any of you can PM me to talk further about it if you want

-Damon

unclebob
09-15-2005, 01:26 AM
I live in College Station, so I'll have a drive no matter what ... either with one big chapter or several "big city" local ones. ** shrugs **

dshelton
09-15-2005, 01:53 AM
I don't expect a reply from the CGS guys too quickly, but here is what I want to do
I am getting together with some people here in the Dallas area to start up a local chapter here for monthly, to bi-monthly meetings, whichever is more feesible and I want to get info from those in other Texas cities that want to head up local chapters in those cities.
if we can get all the information together from each of the big cities in Texas and an estimate on how many people could be expected to attend those meetings, how often they will be held, etc.
also background info on the people wanting to head up the subChapters
(PM me this info if this sounds like you)
like for Dallas I am working hard to get this rolling, have a few other CGS members as well in the Dallas area trying to help out
and then maybe have state Chapter meetings quarterly (in Austin will be the most centralized place) main thing is to get background info all together as well as numbers.
having all this info gathered together for when we do hear back will be the best bet for getting this off the ground.

dshelton
09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
okay!!! i got a response and am meeting with a few people Tuesday night to have an organizational meeting for starting up the Dallas subChapter, once the subChapters are all settled in we can get the head people together to organize state chapter meetings as a combined effort, main goal right now is to get the local chapters running. I will be able to update this thread later this week with the people heading up the Dallas chapter.

Tex3D: i am sure you got your response and if you need any assistance in the Austin Chapter let me know, I am not sure how many members are in that area but am slowly gathering a head count for the DFW area.

if we can manage to get them up and running simultaneaously it will be a better chance for survival of the subChapters and the texas chapter as a whole

-Damon

Tex3D
09-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Yessir.. PM sent :)

Anybody that is in the Austin area that would like to help set up the Central Texas/Austin/San Antonio chapter can email me at:

davkar688@hotmail.com

or they can PM me here.

A fine time will be had by all:thumbsup:

-Dave

SkyePhelps
09-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Good news guys, me and dshelton met last night with a couple other guys and started the gears going on the Dallas Chapter, things went pretty good and it looks like we'll be having our first meeting on Thursdays, October the 13th. We'll be getting more details together and will post it here to keep you guys informed. Expect an update soon with the location and our speakers.

unclebob
09-24-2005, 04:40 PM
I liive 90 miles east of Austin, so not sure how much help I'd be, but if we have a plan, I'd could se what I could do.

hurricane Rita didn't do as much here as first thought, so wind and not as much rain .. which we really need the rain.

dshelton
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
we are trying to come up with a good date to have the first official dallas chapter meeting, I am looking into either early december or mid january. please respond if you are in the area and what would be good times for you to come out. Sooner I get responses the faster i can get this all wraped up and scheduled. And can start working on getting a guest speaker.

Drakmarr
10-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Dallas? I didnt even notice dallas as a possibility I thought everyone mentioned Austin?

dshelton
10-17-2005, 05:44 PM
we are starting a dallas chapter and i know tex3d is trying to start the austin area chapter
we are trying to run them as subchapters for the overall texas chapter
texas is kind of too big to try to run a single state chapter on a regular basis
once we get the meeting setup all are welcome to attend but it will mainly be run as the dallas area subchapter for now.
Then once the subchapters are up and running we will have an annual state chapter meeting
but like I said if you are in Texas you are more than welcome to attend the dalas meetings, up to you

unclebob
11-05-2005, 10:12 PM
well, any updates on getting the chapter started ?

bob

SkyePhelps
11-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I just got done talking with dshelton and we've both been pretty swamped the last month. As of now we're getting things taken care of, (I'm letting him do all the hard stuff) and we should have the first meeting in mid January. We'll be setting a harder date here soon so keep your calenders clear and I'll be getting you more information.

Rookie
11-11-2005, 04:20 AM
I'm still in for a Dallas chapter if ya'll need an extra hand.

-Kelly Romeo

Ed Caracappa
11-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread! I'm in Austin and would love to work with a Texas chapter no matter where it winds up.

If any of you Austinites just want to meet up let me know!

Ed

JDViz
11-14-2005, 02:49 AM
I'm in Dallas and look forward to the next meeting, I'll be there!

Shamrock3d
11-17-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm willing to help out however I can with getting the Dallas chapter up and running. I live in Mckinney and would very much like to be involved.

-jake

dark_vader
11-19-2005, 09:11 PM
But would be interested in getting involved.

Greg.

unclebob
12-31-2005, 02:46 PM
I come before the Imperial Senate to inquire if our chapter is going to happen or is it going to die before a committee. LOL j/k

SkyePhelps
12-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Sorry Guys, Me and Mr. Shelton got swamped right before the holidays leaving us not time to throw something together, so the plan as of now is to try and get the first meeting by the end of January... we'll give you guys the details when we get them...

dark_vader
01-02-2006, 12:59 AM
I will try to get something going in Houston. I already meet with a few geeks so it may not be too difficult to get a group together. I will get back with you folks on Wednesday (Jan 4).

The way it looks to me, this state is large so it's being divided up into sectors.
Dallas area, Austin-San Antonio area, Houston area, Maybe there should be
an El Paso area and the Valley area (Harlingen).

We should maybe pick San Antonio as a yearly meeting place? How does that sound?

Greg.

freddy7133d
01-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey all,
im in Austin...

dark_vader
01-04-2006, 05:29 AM
Approx 7 in all and I hope some others I've yet to get with will join in.
We've unofficially had our first meeting tonight.
If interested, go ahead and e-mail me here. You can be from anywhere.
I believe I will get more aggressive in bringing in talent.
=======================================================

norvman
01-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Hey all I'm in ... but I'm stuck in Lubbock...

Dallas might be the easiest for me to get too... (have freinds and family I can stay with...)
as far as starting a chapter here I might be able to get something going ... but currently I don't know anyone on CGNetworks that is in town...

plus right now I'm going to school... which means I'm a bit limited on time.... but it also means I might be able to get some of my class mates to join in on the fun... if I can ever get them to look at CGtalk....

anywayz.... I will keep checking this thread to see if anyone comes up with any meeting times...

Also.... just a suggestion...

we might bump over to one of the other threads and ask those guys what they are doing to get organized

:lightbulb

christophersean
01-14-2006, 09:35 PM
I live way down south here in McAllen but I'd be interested in networking with others here in the state! I'm not sure how often I would be able to travel but if I'm given enough time I would love to meet and learn from you guys and gals. In the meantime, send me a PM if you would be interested in exchanging emails, IM handles, etc. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

ehoch
01-16-2006, 07:55 PM
I am located in Austin.

How many CGS members do we have in the Capital City?
If its not many, I'm sure all we would have to do to create a chapter would be to recruit those who attend the Austin Computer Graphics User Group to join The Society, and then we could put on official CGS events. I know there are lots of us CG folks in town.

I really like the idea of annual all-Texas meetups. Keep me posted on any developments.

Ed Caracappa
01-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm here and would love to participate...

norvman
01-17-2006, 01:26 AM
I really like the idea of annual all-Texas meetups. Keep me posted on any developments.

Let me add a 'Mee2' to that....

dark_vader
01-17-2006, 05:48 AM
I'm going to make a list off all people who have posted an interest and then try to
organize it into a group. There's already a small group here in Houston.

Drakmarr
01-18-2006, 03:40 PM
I am interested and live in austin, just been waiting on everyone to finally organize and give a date.

dark_vader
01-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I've created a user database of names of people in Texas Interested In Creating a Texas Chapter. So far I have 35 names and will be adding a few more. Will have to pick a day
for most of us to meet, and then create alternate days for us to meet. I hope to get some
response from the person involved in approval of Chapters.

dark_vader
01-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Mr. Andrew Plummer has made contact with me. For those not in the know-- He's
in charge of overseeing the formation of "local" Chapters of CGSociety. I will ask
him some questions and will formulate a plan.

I will change my Avatar to match my User ID hopefully by the weekend.

After that, I will declare myself "President/Emperor" and begin to create the great
"CG Society Of Texas." (My version of the Galactic Empire!). Texas will
be carved up into "Fiefdoms" and will have "Senators" designated to oversee
their territories!

Of course-- once things settle down,,, I will gladly surrender the power I have
bestowed upon myself and let democracy rule! LOL!

Right now- My first declaration is that Houston (Where the CGS servers are located)
will be the Headquarters of this operation.

======================================================
In all seriousness.- Anyone who wants to help or join in is welcome,,, any ideas
will be gladly included. I'm willing to travel around --- airfare is cheap for me
at this time.

Once I get some questions answered from Mr Plummer,,, maybe we can move things
along quicker. My goal is to have a structured plan in place in about two weeks.

Greg.

JDViz
01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I'd love to see an informal meet together for all the Dallas folks. Anyone got any ideas where and when?

Saturday lunch at BoneDaddy's off I75? Say 1pm?

Tex3D
01-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Well I for one would like to welcome our new CGTexas rulers!:bowdown:

j/k...

Dark, you may wanna get with the Dallas guys and see how far they've gotten as far as setting things up. Seems like they started getting the ball rolling fairly quickly and then got really busy around Siggraph. They might have some info or insight into setting things up.

Lemme know if you need any help. Im in Austin but I have peeps (my Posse) in Houston.

-Dave

norvman
01-25-2006, 09:10 PM
I'd love to see an informal meet together for all the Dallas folks. Anyone got any ideas where and when?

Saturday lunch at BoneDaddy's off I75? Say 1pm?

Hey jasdulan

I would love to make that meeting... however... I'm actually way over here in Lubbock,Tx
however Dallas is an easy drive for me... I have freinds and business assoiates I can stay with over there.... but I might need more lead time to do that... (I will check and see if this Saturday will work... but like I said I might be short notice for me...

Just keep me in mind however...

on that note please send me some email so we correspond that way...
probably best for you to simply visit my webpage to find my email...

Thanks for the effort.... :beer:

unclebob
01-26-2006, 01:56 AM
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND POWERFUL DARK_VADER

cool, Houston is only an hour and half drive for me. It's nice to be close to the galatic center

dark_vader
01-26-2006, 02:12 AM
I will be purchasing some airline tix soon and will be willing to travel to various cities
to assist in forming local groups. I will only be able to travel during the weekends.
I'm not rich--- I just have some xtra abilities not learned from Jedi's. LOL!

JDViz
01-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Ok, Norvman, I've emailed ya. We'll set this up again for beginning of Feb. I'll still be at Bone Daddy's in Richardson of 75 this sat 27th at 12:30 - 1ish for anyone who feels like showing up. I'll be wearing either a black cowboy hat, or a beige baseball cap with HKS on the front, and I will answer to the name JD.

This is just an informal get-together, there will be no meeting agenda.

norvman
01-27-2006, 02:51 AM
Thanks! jasdulan

got your email and returned it... let me know if you haven't recieved it soon...

:thumbsup:

dark_vader
01-30-2006, 03:14 AM
To all who have posted so far.
I have entered your names in a data-base.
Also, I will have a link to my personal page for those I meet who want to sign up
as being on the Texas Chapter. It's a place to send e-mail or submit a form.
I still have to finish my Avatar (for Dark_Vader) and place it on the website as well.

http://www.gregkdavis.com is where I reside- Now I'm off to finish my artwork.
I want Dark_Vader to have a western look as well as a Sith Lord look.

JDViz
01-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Ok, without our own Texas sub-forum, I've no better place for this post.

Anyone in/around Dallas use the Wacom Cintiq 21 UX? I want to get one, but would rather test drive it before I plop down that kinda cash. So if any of y'all have one you wouldn't mind me coming over and kicking the tyres a bit, please let me know.

JD-

JDViz
02-02-2006, 04:57 PM
I guess not, LOL

dark_vader
02-11-2006, 04:39 AM
I've been busy this past week but have decided to carve up Texas into five areas.
I've listed them as:

Panhandle Region
Dallas Region
Capital Region
Valley Region
Big Bend Region.
(Map To Be Provided Soon).

There was already a group meeting this past Tuesday and there will be another one
arranged soon - This is going to be fun!

I'm on vacation this week so I'll have more time. The first couple of days I have some
"Honey Do" chores to handle before I get back to this Texas Chapter Project.

One thing that was discussed amongst the few of us Houston people was the need
to have some focused agendas. ( More on that later.)

norvman
02-12-2006, 04:42 PM
May I inquire as to how many people you have signed in for the 'panhandle' region?

dark_vader
02-12-2006, 06:00 PM
You will be the first, because no one else knows about it since I just posted the idea.
The Panhandle region will be primairily Amarrillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa with Lubbock
being the central meeting place.

I'm going to make a special field trip to the Valley Region just to get used to the travel
aspect of things (Saturday Feb 18). I will also make arrangements to go to Lubbock,
Amarillo, and Midland soon.

I hope to have the Map with the regions outlined this week.

Any of you can call me at 281-381-5654 if you are interested.
Also, here's a link to my Hotmail Calendar.
http://calendar.msn.com/greggkdavis@hotmail.com
I will try to keep it updated.

Plus, I will also try to keep a personal website with info
at http://www.gregkdavis.com

Greg.

unclebob
02-12-2006, 08:59 PM
it'll be interesting to see where I end up. I live in College Station, 90 miles NNW of Houston and 90 miles east of Austin.

dark_vader
02-12-2006, 09:15 PM
the "Capital Region," which is bounded by Houston -Austin-San Antonio.
I hope to have a map out this week along with a Charter proposal I sent
to the powers that be.

Drakmarr
02-13-2006, 04:54 PM
i am in capital region, you can include me in it.

dark_vader
02-13-2006, 07:31 PM
i am in capital region, you can include me in it.

Done deal!

Greg

norvman
02-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Hey Greg... I sympathize with your intentions and all...
but I'm not sure if in my case... (the Pan Handle Region...)
if an entire region is justified... that is to say...
maybe we should wait until there are more members in the area...

Like I was telling jasdulan earlier...
I would be willing to make a meeting or two over in Dallas since there seems to be more interested parties there than here...
I have lots of stay over freinds in dallas so all I would really be out is the gas for the trip and the 5 to 6 hour drive...
(which is really not a big deal for me...)

I have to be honest I tell everyone here about CGTalk but I have yet to see anyone who has logged on for anything more than a look...

Might mean less work for you to 'X'ed out a region
Specially if there aren't any members to justify it yet...

now if we have 10 guys signup from Muleshoe tomorrow well that might be differn't.... :)

dark_vader
02-14-2006, 03:29 AM
Hey Greg... I sympathize with your intentions and all...
but I'm not sure if in my case... (the Pan Handle Region...)
if an entire region is justified... that is to say...
maybe we should wait until there are more members in the area...

Like I was telling jasdulan earlier...
I would be willing to make a meeting or two over in Dallas since there seems to be more interested parties there than here...
I have lots of stay over freinds in dallas so all I would really be out is the gas for the trip and the 5 to 6 hour drive...
(which is really not a big deal for me...)

I have to be honest I tell everyone here about CGTalk but I have yet to see anyone who has logged on for anything more than a look...

Might mean less work for you to 'X'ed out a region
Specially if there aren't any members to justify it yet...

now if we have 10 guys signup from Muleshoe tomorrow well that might be differn't.... :)

Hello, Norvell Maples!

That may be a necessity in the beginning ( consolidated regions for meetings). But my
goal is to deal with things in short and long terms. Like the second Death Star, I'm hoping
the Texas Chapter will be fully operational (By summer) before all the parts are put
together. As things progress, maybe there will be more people coming on board to make
certain regions viable.

In the beginning, I believe people would need to get to know each other. Find out who
does what, maybe assess strenghts and weaknesses. (Ergo: it begs that there should
be a wide variety of various talents in this chapter in order to have a chance of success.)

After that, there should maybe be some type of constructive workshop on a few things.
Get the beginners involved and fine tune the veterans.

Finally, all this Mega Talent ( if we have it) should get together and create a project
for mass consumption. This is where you separate the BEEs from the WANNABEEs.
This is where the proof is in the pudding.

This will force people to communicate (especially those who talk big) to ask questions
of this world wide community (CG Society) and force the individual to raise their own level of talent and expectations.

I've seen lots of CG talkers complain about not being able to get interviews or
how this and that is not to their liking or no one recognise their skills-- blah-blah--
blah---

Well sometimes you have to create your own luck.

It takes the four T's to get there--- Talent, technology, time, and tenacity.

In the meanwhile, have some fun while we are at it!

My hope is that as things evolve--people will come out of the woodwork, or in this case,
from behind their monitors and get involved.

It's up to us ground level (founding) members to help make that happen.

When I was younger, I always had incredible luck in getting major projects off and running. Even when didn't know what I was doing.

Now that I'm old, tired, run-down, and irrelevant, I will get up on my "walker" and
try again to see if I have the ability and the skills to get an organized group together.

One more thing---- I never start the day without checking the weather in Muleshoe first.

Greg.

norvman
02-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Okay .... all well and good...

your looking to build an empire! :scream:

ha! ;)

Seriously... that sounds great... I for one am in it for the Networking... In my years... (all 46 of them... oh' wait I think it just turned 47... or is it 48.... (okay I forget...) I know Artist usally shoot themselves in the foot because they don't have enough industry contacts...
(of the past few years I myself have kind of let that go and am now trying to not Isolate myself from it all... )

Thus the willingness to drive for a few hours to interact with some fellow artist and draftsmen to do learn, visit, and help each other out with job promotion...

My little neice is a Human Resources person and tells me that 85% of all hires are hired on recomendation of people in the company who know them...

"It's not just what you know it's also who yah know"...

and it's not so much that one has to play politics as it is a matter that if people never 'see' your work they are never gona know what it is that you can do...

So I'm all for this whole thing... I just don't want to get set out on an Island or anything... having to make conversation with the volleyballs... :beer:

dark_vader
02-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Okay .... all well and good...

your looking to build an empire! :scream:

ha! ;)

Seriously... that sounds great... I for one am in it for the Networking... In my years... (all 46 of them... oh' wait I think it just turned 47... or is it 48.... (okay I forget...) I know Artist usally shoot themselves in the foot because they don't have enough industry contacts...
(of the past few years I myself have kind of let that go and am now trying to not Isolate myself from it all... )

Thus the willingness to drive for a few hours to interact with some fellow artist and draftsmen to do learn, visit, and help each other out with job promotion...

My little neice is a Human Resources person and tells me that 85% of all hires are hired on recomendation of people in the company who know them...

"It's not just what you know it's also who yah know"...

and it's not so much that one has to play politics as it is a matter that if people never 'see' your work they are never gona know what it is that you can do...

So I'm all for this whole thing... I just don't want to get set out on an Island or anything... having to make conversation with the volleyballs... :beer:

Cool!

Artist are usually not very great at networking/fortunately I don't consider myself
an artist. Just someone who has some average art skills.

In the good old days, I was always at the right place at the right time. But I was
young and didn't think much of what I was doing. Thought everyone was able to
get involved. It wasn't till after I left to finish college and get a regular job did
I realize I was doing some interesting stuff back then.

Your niece at HR is correct. Most recommendations come from someone within a
company, so it pays to get to know as many people as possible and strike up some friendships. Of course you have to be willing to move to where the action is, and that
will eliminate 90% of the people right there. It's the other 10% you have to do battle
with because there are so many of them.
-Nothing like swimming in a shark pool.

Or, you can make such a splash that people notice. Hopefully someone in that group
will be the one to say- HEY! I CAN USE YOUR TALENT!

I hope to be able to dredge up all my old school and new school talent and skills
just for the fun of it and see what I can do.

I've already got the attention of major people, now I want to just see if I can get
a major audience. My day job keeps me busy enough so far and it's not even art
related.

Greg.

dark_vader
02-14-2006, 06:25 AM
we are still waiting to get all the information we need to officially start a chapter.
will keep you posted as I get more information. I am also waiting to hear back from Andrew Plumer. being he is in Australia the timerame difference adds for delay in response time. Hoping to hear back soon.

any of you can PM me to talk further about it if you want

-Damon

I made contact with Mr. Plumer.
Hope to discuss more with him soon.

Greg.

JDViz
02-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Well, I'm in Dallas and ready to get active. Since you're taking lead on this, lemme know how I can help. What kind of meeting places do you have in mind? Someone's home? Restaurant? Community College class hall? Convention Hall? Texas Stadium? The moon?

If our first meet will be 10ish people or less, I'll be willing to host it at my home. I live in downtown Dallas.

dark_vader
02-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Well, I'm in Dallas and ready to get active. Since you're taking lead on this, lemme know how I can help. What kind of meeting places do you have in mind? Someone's home? Restaurant? Community College class hall? Convention Hall? Texas Stadium? The moon?

If our first meet will be 10ish people or less, I'll be willing to host it at my home. I live in downtown Dallas.

I was thinking Alderan, then I remembered we trashed that place.
Probably a restaurant, Like Taco Cabana (In the beginning).

(I know my phone is posted somewhere on this thread.)

If you want to e-mail me your number you can at: greggkdavis@hotmail.com, or
greg@gregkdavis.com - I'll call probably tomorrow or Thursday so we can get
aquainted.

I have to do the Valentines routine today... You know the drill.:)

Greg.

unclebob
02-15-2006, 01:41 AM
ahh Norvman, you young whiper snapper LOL .. I turn 49 in two weeks. do rocks actually live that long ?

I am a hobbiest and am working my way through Cinema4D and Rhino. I have zero 2d artistic tallent, my stick figures don't even look like stick figures but it gets my ideas down.

peace,
bob

norvman
02-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Well when I say Artist... I generally always include Leonardo Divincy in that catagory...

Artist, Inventor, Draftsman, Mathamatisian, Renisance man....

:cool:

dark_vader
02-15-2006, 05:14 AM
ahh Norvman, you young whiper snapper LOL .. I turn 49 in two weeks. do rocks actually live that long ?

I am a hobbiest and am working my way through Cinema4D and Rhino. I have zero 2d artistic tallent, my stick figures don't even look like stick figures but it gets my ideas down.

peace,
bob

Every one has value.
---------------------

dark_vader
02-15-2006, 05:15 AM

Got your number -- will call!

Tex3D
02-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Count me in for anything Austin related and possibly Houston. I have peeps in Houston so I can still be active in that region.:wavey:

FYI Dark_Vader - The plans for the "SPiDeR - Small Planet Destroying Ray" are almost complete. I was almost 95% done with them, but my Solidworks crapped out on me and I lost the main assembly file. I had a good backup so all is well now and the plotter is working overtime on prints. I'll run em up to your chamber as soon as theyre done.

-Dave

PS. Were almost out of ink. Can we get Imperial Purchasing on that?

dark_vader
02-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Count me in for anything Austin related and possibly Houston. I have peeps in Houston so I can still be active in that region.:wavey:

FYI Dark_Vader - The plans for the "SPiDeR - Small Planet Destroying Ray" are almost complete. I was almost 95% done with them, but my Solidworks crapped out on me and I lost the main assembly file. I had a good backup so all is well now and the plotter is working overtime on prints. I'll run em up to your chamber as soon as theyre done.

-Dave

PS. Were almost out of ink. Can we get Imperial Purchasing on that?

As far as getting the Galactic Senate to approve a budget- I will have to use
my powers of persuasion.

Otherwise, welcome aboard! Send your phone number to:

greggkdavis@hotmail.com and we will work on the empire as well.

Greg.

JDViz
02-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Ok, so what's the news? Anyone putting something together? Anywhere in Texas? Any time in March?

Dark_vader, I'll be in Houston on Thurs March 30th for an afternoon meeting. Want to get something together that evening, or the next day on Friday?

dark_vader
03-01-2006, 02:36 AM
30Ok, so what's the news? Anyone putting something together? Anywhere in Texas? Any time in March?

Dark_vader, I'll be in Houston on Thurs March 30th for an afternoon meeting. Want to get something together that evening, or the next day on Friday?

I'll put you on my Calendar. Thursday Evening will be just fine with me.
Let me know what area of town you are in.

I've been working on several things and have tested the travel waters to various
cities to see if these old bones can take the trip.

I will post more soon.

Some of us will be meeting Tuesday of next week.

I will have more formal plans worked out hopefully the following week.

Dark_Vader.

dark_vader
03-01-2006, 02:40 AM
Well when I say Artist... I generally always include Leonardo Divincy in that catagory...

Artist, Inventor, Draftsman, Mathamatisian, Renisance man....

:cool:

Hello,,, I've been testing my travel legs. I've been to Lubbock about a week ago.
Harlingen, during the freezing weekend.
Now I have to test Dallas/Ft Worth and Austin, then long hop to El Paso.

I already go to San Antonio rather frequently.

I think the old bones will be able to handle the "day" trips.

norvman
03-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Hey Greg...

you should have gotten a hold of me we would have gotten together or something...

I will email you with all my contact info for future reference...

dark_vader
03-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Hey Greg...

you should have gotten a hold of me we would have gotten together or something...

I have your info, and I will call.

dark_vader
03-02-2006, 04:46 AM
Hey Greg...

nice chatting with you on the phone.
will be in touch again soon.

norvman
03-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the phone visit Vader...

it all sounds great in the end...

will keep trying to correspond with you via email...

:thumbsup:

dark_vader
03-10-2006, 04:31 AM
Been traveling, testing my travel legs and making sure my old tired body
can handle day trips ( plus see what damage to my wallet occurs when
it comes to airfare, car, food, lodgings).

As you know, I've been working on starting a Texas Chapter. Houston appears to be forming up on schedule and will have a formal group in about a couple of months.
We have met again just this Tuesday and will be working on spreading the word through
other user groups as well. There is a need to solidify the group here and also begin to
spread the word.

I will announce some travel dates to Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, and Lubbock to begin
meetings with other interested parties. The travel dates will begin in late April/Mid May.

I've been listening to others' suggestions in what they would like in such a group and
have written down everything so far (to be posted later).

Also, it's important to have as many different skillsets in the group as possible.
2d, 3d, compositors, photographers, cinematographers, sound, etc. Different
skills give a group options to many things.

Another thing that needed to be created is a promotional poster. Something
that is done locally with local artists (when I say local-I'm talking Texas).

Most important, it's important that this chapter be world class. The best ever.

Will write more.

If you are interested in being part of the Texas Chapter let me know.
I will enter you in a database.

I can be reached thru mail within this site, or
greggkdavis@hotmail.com (Subject: Texas Chapter)
gkd@bombergirl.com (Subject: Texas Chapter)

Or you can call: 281-381-5654 (leave voice mail if no answer).

dark_vader
04-02-2006, 01:53 AM
A group of us will be getting together for another meeting.
John Gonzales will be giving a tutorial on UV maps.

gary-smith
04-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Well I have lived in Houston for about 10 years so far, I moved to Huntsville back in October 2004 (I would like to move back to Houston lol). I haven't read the entire thread, but I would love to go to a Texas CGS chapter...whatever that really means. (A meeting or conference or something of the like? What exactly is it?). My new home phone number is (936)-436-9329 but I would prefer contact through email:

Viper680@hotmail.com

gary-smith
04-05-2006, 04:02 AM
Hey Greg, nice little phone conversation that we had, but yeah here are the tools that I use:

- 3dsmax
- Photoshop
- Terragen
- Vue

I am currently a freelance artist (and I am very young to say the least) and I have been doing pretty well lately with my jobs. Just give me a ring (after 4:00pm) or email whenever, and send me whatever other information that I need. Hope to see other artists from Texas soon :D

JDViz
04-11-2006, 04:48 PM
This thread is getting kinda long...

So, anything happening lately in Texas?

For those of y'all in Dallas, or who can make the trip, I want to set up a series of informal discussions focusing on the creative process and it's phases. I will break the discussions up into the following.

Day 1
-Idea generation & Conception - I wanna do SOMEthing, but WHAT? and
how do I come up with ideas?
-Research - Where to find it and what to do with it
Day 2
-Sketching - Idea generation of another sort
-Incubation - Sleeping on it, finding the "A'HA!" moment
Day 3
-Composition - Once you have the A'HA!, it's Sketching part 2
-Synthesis - Putting it all together using the sub-phases of your medium.
-Evaluation - Finishing Touches.

For Day 1, I'm going to head to BoneDaddy's again in Dallas on Sat April 22 at Noon. Y'all are welcome to join me. Do let me know if you're coming, if there are more than a few people, I'll have to let them know. Email me at cgman@tridot.com
Bone Daddy's Restaurant

8856 Spring Valley Rd
Dallas, TX 75240-4209
(214) 575-3050
Cross Street: I-75

Rookie
04-11-2006, 05:21 PM
"So, anything happening lately in Texas?"

Well, if you live in the Dallas area there is! There's always the monthly "A Bunch of Short Guys" meetings, a Dallas animation guild. They're free, open to the public, and always enlightening. For more info on ABOSG: http://www.abunchofshortguys.com

The next meeting is on April 22, where Mark Behm, from DNA Productions, will be talking about digital painting and development of the form of a character which up to this point has existed only in flat space outside of your imagination. Lighting, value & color, visualizing form and process will be discussed and demonstrated. The medium will be digital although the approach applies to traditional methods as well.

On March 30th we were honored to have the Legendary stop-motion animator Ray Harryhausen stop through Dallas on his book signing tour. What a legacy.

And no matter WHERE you are in Texas, you'll wanna make sure you're in Dallas on June 10th for the 5th annual "Industry Giants" premiere animation event. This year we're really fortunate to have the following guest speakers come and present:
Christian Lorenz Scheurer - Leading Concept Artist
Loni Peristere Creative Director, Zoic Studios
T. Dan Hofstedt Sony Pictures Imageworks
Scott Peterson - Digital Anvil/Microsoft Game Studio
Rita Street - Producer, Radar Cartoons (moderator)

See the 'A Bunch of Short Guys' website for all the details.

Hope to see ya'll there.
-Kelly Romeo

dark_vader
04-12-2006, 01:54 AM
This thread is getting kinda long...

So, anything happening lately in Texas?

For those of y'all in Dallas, or who can make the trip, I want to set up a series of informal discussions focusing on the creative process and it's phases. I will break the discussions up into the following.

Day 1
-Idea generation & Conception - I wanna do SOMEthing, but WHAT? and
how do I come up with ideas?
-Research - Where to find it and what to do with it
Day 2
-Sketching - Idea generation of another sort
-Incubation - Sleeping on it, finding the "A'HA!" moment
Day 3
-Composition - Once you have the A'HA!, it's Sketching part 2
-Synthesis - Putting it all together using the sub-phases of your medium.
-Evaluation - Finishing Touches.

For Day 1, I'm going to head to BoneDaddy's again in Dallas on Sat April 22 at Noon. Y'all are welcome to join me. Do let me know if you're coming, if there are more than a few people, I'll have to let them know. Email me at cgman@tridot.com
Bone Daddy's Restaurant

8856 Spring Valley Rd
Dallas, TX 75240-4209
(214) 575-3050
Cross Street: I-75

Sure is a long thread- but it's good, things need to be well thought out
or else things fall apart quick.

One of the big things I've been working on is coming up with ideas, and I
believe I have one. I've already laid down some music and began blocking
shots and scripting and sketching ideas.

I will see about making time to meet with you at Bone Daddy's.
I don't know If I'll fly or drive in first. Probably fly-in so I can
be back home that evening.

if you want, e-mail me your number or you can call me at 281-381-5654.
things will p/u steam now that I'm almost finished with taxes and some
project--- thank the gods!

my e-mail is: greggkdavis@hotmail.com

thanks.

P.S. I may have your number already and just don't remember where
I put it, I will double check.

dark_vader
04-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Hey Greg, nice little phone conversation that we had, but yeah here are the tools that I use:

- 3dsmax
- Photoshop
- Terragen
- Vue

I am currently a freelance artist (and I am very young to say the least) and I have been doing pretty well lately with my jobs. Just give me a ring (after 4:00pm) or email whenever, and send me whatever other information that I need. Hope to see other artists from Texas soon :D

Thanks for the chat.
I think there is enough good talent in Texas to do some kick-butt work.
After my taxes (groan) are turned in I can turn my attention fully to the
Texas Chapter.

Will keep in touch.

dark_vader
04-12-2006, 02:03 AM
"So, anything happening lately in Texas?"

Well, if you live in the Dallas area there is! There's always the monthly "A Bunch of Short Guys" meetings, a Dallas animation guild. They're free, open to the public, and always enlightening. For more info on ABOSG: http://www.abunchofshortguys.com

The next meeting is on April 22, where Mark Behm, from DNA Productions, will be talking about digital painting and development of the form of a character which up to this point has existed only in flat space outside of your imagination. Lighting, value & color, visualizing form and process will be discussed and demonstrated. The medium will be digital although the approach applies to traditional methods as well.

On March 30th we were honored to have the Legendary stop-motion animator Ray Harryhausen stop through Dallas on his book signing tour. What a legacy.

And no matter WHERE you are in Texas, you'll wanna make sure you're in Dallas on June 10th for the 5th annual "Industry Giants" premiere animation event. This year we're really fortunate to have the following guest speakers come and present:
Christian Lorenz Scheurer - Leading Concept Artist
T. Dan Hofstedt Sony Pictures Imageworks

See the 'A Bunch of Short Guys' website for all the details.

Hope to see ya'll there.
-Kelly Romeo

Kelly-
Will try to contact you later this week.
Looks as if there is a significant talent pool out there.

JDViz
04-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Is anyone coming on Saturday?

dark_vader
04-22-2006, 03:39 AM
I thought I'd be able to make it, but I'm having to finish a photoshoot tomorrow.
I will call you-----

norvman
04-25-2006, 01:06 AM

Man! missed it.. I was out of town and am just now getting back to check email.... man I need a lap top for travel.... (oh well....) :sad:

Rookie
05-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Industry Giants 2006 June 9th and 10th, Plano TX.

Fri. June 9 - Ed Hooks' Acting For Animators Masterclass
$65 ($75 at the door) (Price Includes Admission to Industry Giants)

Sat. June 10 - Industry Giants 2006
Christian Lorenz Scheurer - Conceptual Art Director
T. Dan Hofstedt Animation Supervisor, Sony Pictures Imageworks
DNA Productions - The Ant Bully! (in theaters Aug. 5)
$20 ($25 at the door)

Presented by A Bunch of Short Guys:
http://www.abunchofshortguys.com/Mambo4.5.2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=38

How do I get to an "A Bunch of Short Guys" event?
Collin Co. Community College, Spring Creek Campus
2800 E. Spring Creek Pkwy
Plano, TX. 75074

JDViz
06-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Ok y'all, we getting a project together or what?

dark_vader
07-01-2006, 09:19 PM
IOk y'all, we getting a project together or what?

Yes, I would like to think so.
Sorry I've been gone- I'm back, and better now.
Ready to outline a project after the 4th of July.

norvman
12-08-2006, 12:28 AM
I have been gone all summer and then had to participate in an extended move of my In-Laws from San An to Lubbock I finally am getting back to things ... how is the texas chapter going?

It kinda looks dead...

KeithDemele
08-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey Yall,

I am in Dallas...Is the chapter still alive? I would love to get together and do a project...Especially any Dallas people. JD, fancy seeing you here...

Keith

calmasacow
08-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Wow all of these years and I never even noticed this was here. anything going on in Houston?

opreska
08-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Just saw this in the general discussion thread:

(Copied and Pasted:thumbsup: )

I just wanted to announce that there will be a game artist workshop in Dallas,TX!!! If you are in the area or whithin driving distance this workshop is going to be awesome!!!

For More information you can go to:

www.divergeworkshops.info (http://divergeworkshops.info/)

Diverge 2.0

September 15 and 16, 2007

Dallas, TX

Diverge 2.0 is a two day event that will allow everyone from amateurs to experts the chance to learn from video game industry professionals. Our first workshop in February was an awesome start. There was close to 80 people in attendance and we learned from some of the best Dallas has to offer. Join us this time around for a several more Dallas and Austin pros.

Line Up:

September 15th

Sammy Hall-Retro Studios Austin, TX

Stacey Diana Clark-Midway Austin, TX

September 16th

Brett Briley-Ensemble Studios Dallas, TX

Austin Cline-Terminal Reality Lewisville, TX

Still in negotiations with one more person.

The first day of the event will be held at the Fellowship Church in Dallas, Saturday September 15th. The following day, we will meet across the street at the Art Institute of Dallas on Sunday 16th. The event will run from 10am-6pm both days! If you want to see some killer art and learn some great information please come!

Cost

$20.00 if bought in advance (click the paypal link in the NEWS section)

$30.00 for non-student/professionals at the door

$20.00 for students at the door with valid ID

**All proceeds will benefit future workshops.**

For driving directions & other info visit:

Fellowship Bible Church

9330 North Central Expressway

Dallas , TX 75231

(214)739-3881

http://www.fellowshipdallas.org/location_times.htm

The Art Institute of Dallas
8080 Park Lane

Dallas, TX 75231

(214) 692-8080

www.aid.edu (http://www.aid.edu/)

Contact

Event Coordinators

tonyarechiga@gmail.com

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2007, 03:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.