PDA

View Full Version : Next-Generation Xbox to Be Media Hub

RobertoOrtiz
05-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Quote:
"Microsoft Corp.'s next-generation Xbox gaming console will be more of a digital entertainment hub than its predecessor, making it even more of a PC hybrid than ever, Bill Gates told a meeting of business journalists on Monday. "

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050504/ap_on_hi_te/gates_sabew;_ylt=AoBtWVHWfuLGm_8ELsocReys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2NDg4NWRqBHNlYwN0Yw--)
-R

-Vormav-
05-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Video game players want to be able to chat with their buddies, know when others are present online, and will want to access their music and photos on their consoles in an interface already familiar to them, Gates said.
Honestly, how many gamers are going to be in a rush to load up their photos on a console? :shrug:

Not that I really care either way. I'll probably get the new Xbox to play games. And if it comes with extra features, great.

(now let's hope that people skip past the last half of the article, lest this turn into yet another MS vs. Mac debate/flamewar)

PhilOsirus
05-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Most gamers have the internet and already know when their "buddies" are online and can already chat with them thanks to another MS product: MSN!

The XBox was a console for gamers who would have bought PC games to begin with if it wasn't for the Xbox. MS are just moving their costumers from one system to another instead of attracting more.

Vertizor
05-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Honestly, how many gamers are going to be in a rush to load up their photos on a console? :shrug:
You're missing the point. Gamers need all the help they can get to convince their girlfriend, wife, significant other, to let them buy new consoles. Of course that's also assuming that have a female counterpart to begin with.

percydaman
05-04-2005, 03:25 PM
what happened to the days when microsoft was promising that their console was NOT just a stripped down pc?

schroder
05-04-2005, 03:42 PM
I think you're all missing the point. They are out for more then gamers and more then pc users. They're out to steal the dvr market. They want all homes to have multiple pc's. This is one way to do that.

lovisx
05-04-2005, 03:46 PM
it's called building a monopoly.

Thalaxis
05-04-2005, 04:27 PM
what happened to the days when microsoft was promising that their console was NOT just a stripped down pc?

In another couple of years, they'll be calling the PC an expensive console ;)

heavyness
05-04-2005, 04:38 PM
if this was any other company, people would be lovin' it*.

so i guess none of you like to find your friends online and play game with them? or listen to your own mp3 while playing a game. Unreal Tournament 2004 on the PC does both, so i guess that's a multimedia hub? come on.

just look at the Xbox mod scene. guys are checking their local weather on their xbox before they watch some movie they downloaded. the people want this. if you don't, you don't have to use that option [or post in threads about it].

its not going to cost you any more and it not going to effect how the game is played.

*lovin' it is a mc donald's trademark. all right reserved 2005

rakmaya
05-04-2005, 04:49 PM
so i guess none of you like to find your friends online and play game with them? or listen to your own mp3 while playing a game. Unreal Tournament 2004 on the PC does both, so i guess that's a multimedia hub? come on.

That is already hapening and is good enough for a lot of games. I don't think that should be a big deal from now on. MMORPGs invented this reel and then passed on the Shooting games. Now MS wants every game to make that feature. I think that is extreme. I don't think all games are meant to played online with your friends. In any case, making such a feature with monthly subscription and puttig a place to display commercials, MS XBOX can act as a "publishing" channel which intern gives them more money. Who knows what else is on their mind.

As long as they get good games, gamers will be happy Whether it is online or offline.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2005, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.