PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Days - Korean Feature Animation

kemamusa
10-07-2002, 02:56 PM
I've stumbled upon this interesting stuff while I was hanging around on some Korean website.

http://www.wonderfuldays.co.kr/download/img/wd_poster_fin.jpg
Image Gallery (http://www.wonderfuldays.co.kr/download/still_image.php)

It's a Korean feature film set to open in December in Korea, Japan and Taiwan.

Here are some clips from the film:
Current Teaser 1 (26mb) (http://www.wonderfuldays.co.kr/movie/1_mpeg.mpg)
Current Teaser 2 (25mb) (http://www.wonderfuldays.co.kr/movie/2_mpeg.mpg)
Promo Reel made in 1999 (28mb) (http://www.wonderfuldays.co.kr/movie/3_mpeg.mpg)

You can certainly see the Anime influence, but it just feels different. Traditional 2D, 3D, matte painting, miniatures were used to make composited footages, and I bet this kind of animation has rarely been done before. Maybe that's why it looks so wierd, but, I kinda like the effect.

Looks promising... I sure hope to see it here in North America.:D

slaughters
10-08-2002, 03:09 AM
I'm surprised nobody has commented on this yet ! What an excellent artistic mix of styles. I hope this is released in the states on DVD.

P.S. Someone does need to talk to them about compression techniques though. The trailers were pretty downloads at 26 MB.

SheepFactory
10-08-2002, 03:21 AM
This looks so beautiful! , thanks for the link

TheGangst007
10-08-2002, 03:43 AM
Truely amazing... somewhat reminds me of the titan A.E

facial
10-08-2002, 04:04 AM
kemamusa, i really love u stuff, you website is wonderful also, i wanna to say you full of tanlent. How long have you been this CG area? Is this film will be show around the world? i can't wait to see.It looks made by combine 3D & 2D,right?

I am interested in creat some non-photorealistic things.here is some my works, tell me how is your feeling?
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20613&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
http://www.chinadv.com/bbs/photo/200291119391412496.gif
thanks,

Cheers :beer:

urgaffel
10-08-2002, 04:59 AM
Yay! I saw the trailers for that soo long ago... It's good to see that it's finally coming together. I hope it will tour some festivals...

eRaDiCaT0r
10-08-2002, 06:05 AM
co0olios!!! man i am jus sT0ked seeing that. BiKEs!!!! bIkes!!! IT certainly reminds me of Akira, Cowboy BeBop and Vampire Hunter D after seeing the trailers.

Kaz
10-08-2002, 06:57 AM
This looks pretty sweet.. Quality is awesome.

Originally posted by facial
kemamusa, i really love u stuff, you website is wonderful also, i wanna to say you full of tanlent. How long have you been this CG area? Is this film will be show around the world? i can't wait to see.It looks made by combine 3D & 2D,right?

I am interested in creat some non-photorealistic things.here is some my works, tell me how is your feeling?
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20613&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
http://www.chinadv.com/bbs/photo/200291119391412496.gif
thanks,

Cheers :beer:
I think your mistaken.. He didn't make any of this. People read!!!

fallencat
10-08-2002, 06:57 AM
just beautiful.. can't wait to see it on DVD ;)

TO:kemamusa
I am from CDIS too.. graduated a year ago.. haha..

NightFox
10-08-2002, 07:58 AM
:applause:
Actually, the techniques they used looks alot like what was done in Blood: the Last Vampire and Blue Submarine: No. 6.

But it looks as though they've been improved. Very awesome work done. Will definitely have to see about getting this. Whether it comes on DVD to North America or just import the sucker from overseas. lol
:beer: :beer:

LucentDreams
10-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by NightFox
Actually, the techniques they used looks alot like what was done in Blood: the Last Vampire and Blue Submarine: No. 6.

But it looks as though they've been improved. Very awesome work done. Will definitely have to see about getting this. Whether it comes on DVD to North America or just import the sucker from overseas. lol
:beer: :beer:

Shucks beat me to it, I'll add Metropolis, Sen chihiro, WHy is it so surprising that The asian animation industry is trying to integrate 2D and 3D along with matte painting, lets be honest their style is more fit for it, oustide of metropolis I think they fit together very well Blood was amazing, the opening scene on the train never seen anything like that in 2D 3D or a mixture til it came out. Metropolis had amazing CG as well but really didn't fit with the classical backgrounds. Scenes with characetrs and CG worked, scenes with characters and 2D worked, scenes beck to bakc of 2D backgrounds and 3D backgrounds didn't work though.

This looks quite promising, reminds me a lot of cowboy bebop (anyone know when thats being released in north american theatres?)

Anyways seems to me it makes more sense for Tradigital as that undeserving winner of the Tex Avery award calls it, is more suited for anime which has always been more adult realistic based, than it does for north american fantasy based animation.

quinox
10-08-2002, 09:42 AM
i cant view the trailer here, but those pics are amazing! i cant wait till im home to view the trailers... :bounce:

rollmops
10-08-2002, 10:12 AM
I hope it'll come in europe too!

Bytehawk
10-08-2002, 11:32 AM
wow
:thumbsup:

aurora
10-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Disney who? With such incredible talent and artistic craftmanship, why do we rarely ever see these wonderful movies on the big screen here in the US? Because its not Disney, Pixar or DreamWorks? Oh wait, forgot about 'Spirited Away', which in theory was finally released here in the US thanks to its Disney connections. Too bad its not playing anywhere I have looked. All I can say is thank you BlockBuster and HollyWood Videos for letting us experience such beautiful works. Now how long do I have to wait to see this one?:drool:

Caffeine
10-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Booyah to that!:thumbsup:

noquarter
10-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Oh the Koreans and their love affair with the motorbike. Looks outstanding.:applause:

PotatoHead
10-08-2002, 03:14 PM
its great! what 3d soft did they use? or did they just paint everything by hand:D ?

but what i dont like is that they just CANT make ANYTHING that doesnt look like anime:thumbsdow ....at least thats the feeling i get.

The Magic Pen
10-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Awesome :eek:

roel
10-08-2002, 04:54 PM
The 2d looks good, the 3d looks good too. The combination looks awful. The styles just don't mix, am I the only one who sees this?

Beastie
10-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Thats because unfortunately most Americans are idiots (yes, i am an American) and most cant enjoy something unless it was imprinted into them as small children. Disney has only half the quality in content and visuals as many great Japanese animations. I loved Blood but it was too short, I wanted MORE! Cowboy Bebop is definetly a great animated series which has slowly leaked into American culture. Princess Mononoke (might be misspelled) has some of the most beautiful backrounds Ive EVER seen! Screw Disney, Id pick japanese animation over it any day. Its a shame that the few i listed werent more popular in the states. I havent seen sumarine.....I guess Ill have to check that out. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Wiro
10-08-2002, 05:58 PM
I think it looks like it could be a great movie...I'm really looking forward to that one.
But I also don't aggree that the different elements gel in with eachother. What I understand even less is that so many people complained about how it looked bad in Atlantis and the Treasure Island trailers but think it looks awesome here. Is it just because it's manga and therefore automatically "cool"?
Come on...Disney managed to make it more seamless than that!

Wiro

Beastie
10-08-2002, 06:10 PM
I just got the whole trailer to download, yes Wiro you are right. That was a terrible blend of 2D and 3D, I wasnt impressed. Princess Monoke used 2D and 3D and you cant even tell really. As far as Disney, yes they can combine 2D and 3D well but I dont really care for the content or story that is in most of there movies. Its the same story everytime, just change the characters name (pick between animal or human), a place, and time and DING! new disney movie right out of the oven. Ill give them credit when they write an original story. From what ive heard lilo and stitch has alittle different but i have to see it to check out this claim.

Beastie
10-08-2002, 06:24 PM
I guess I should write a disclaimer that I dont hate all Disney movies. Disney has made great movies and I like a bunch of them. My gripe is they probably have made it harder for other types of animation and other animation companies to get the credit they deserve for their work due to the fact Disney has sort of monopolized the market. I think Disney kind of shapes what people like to see as far as animation and has made it harder for change to come as far as big production animations. I'm only trying to say Disney should broaden its horizons and expose people to something new.

Athavan
10-08-2002, 06:47 PM
This looks awesome. Love the 2D and 3D mixture. Nicely done.
Just hope the story is as good as the animation..:thumbsup:

Dominique
10-08-2002, 06:57 PM
[B]its great! what 3d soft did they use? or did they just paint everything by hand:D ?

great stuff,

what 3D-Soft??
SoftImage is still very popular in Asie, (it's still mine as well, even after a couple of years Maya and 5 of MAX),
This might be due to the interface, Zen and their way of living,
Ghiblis' trying out XSI now,

tobyWong
10-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Looks fresh.

I think the styles blend really well, reminds me of blood; I like the characters better though :D Too bad it will probally be a few years til we get to see it :P

LucentDreams
10-08-2002, 07:11 PM
You can't seriously tell me you thought blood was a good story. I mean it was beautifully done, but serously that story especially the ending was crap, for anime the story was seriously disappointing. As for the repetitive stories in Disney your absolutely right, funny how so many disney stories are adaptations of classic stories too eh? Hmm tells you something about Storytelling in general.

There is a fan made music video of Miyazaki's works up until Mononoke, and in it you quickly realize something you never really notice when watching each film individually. While the main story is always qute different the little stories are always the same, and Miyazaki has the same elements in every movie, I love his flms, but you have to be honest with yourselves even when praising one of the best animation directors there is. He has found a formula that works and has resused it in most of his films. Compare Spirited away, Princess Mononoke, Laputa and Nausicaa. They all have Two young characters streuggling against environments and adults, fighting the same battle and realizing out side of a few misplaced friends they can trust each other more than anyone else. There is usually some sort of miiscule crature whether Dust, soo, kodomas, little squirelly thing, or in laputa I guess the forest laputa robot that are mysterious but trusted and help out the characters. And lets be honest the difference in the designs of the young male lead and female lead are always quite similar, in the music video I mentioned there are two sequeces one with male lead \the other with female leads where they transition from one, dissolve into the other dissolve into the other etc. Its amazing how little each one changes. I'm not saying myazaki is bad, I love Ghibli works and collect the storyboards and such from the films I'm just saying you should make equal observations.

And if you look back on my comment here, never said it melded any better, cause it doesn't, but at least the style is more what your used too. Anime is traditionally highly detailed veryrealistic environments and mechanical objects, it fits right into their style. Atlantis and Treasure planet do not. The arm of Silver fits in pretty seamless in Treasure planet from what little we can see so far, but the 3D environments do not. As for atlantis, they couldn't even keep the style consistent between character designs let alone 2D and 3D fitting together is there a single shot in Atlantis where you can't tell whats done in CG?

For anime if you wanna see real high quality 2D 3D integration watch Memories. 3 shorts of similar ideas yet different all brilliantly done, and the last one will low peoples minds away, not very anime in styl, and probably one of the most interesting ways of using CG in a 2S or 3D film. Now there is awesome anime.

Dominique
10-08-2002, 07:37 PM
I loved Blood,

But true, the third part of Memories; 'CanonFodder'; is a masterpiece that should have won an Oscar;

There's more than just the graphics that will make a film good, the inventivness in Story_Writing is really important,
the freshness, not all should be too nice and too perfect, little 'errors' don't matter if things look, move and feel good, think of a jeans: nicer when washed a couple of times,

All Disney movies have a hard time, Dreamworks really don't work, (what happened to TITAN AE: same 'bad'-storytelling),
PDI, DreamWorks, Blue-Sky and AardMan do some great stuff, and I just hope they get New Story_Blood in all the Time, and don't think too much about the so-called American-Way of scripting.
Lucas should do the same, effects and Ideas are great, originality in the story and the great-acting are on the other hand non-existant,
we might be happy that it's a 'funny' director making 'The Ring' and not in the States!

fastfinger
10-08-2002, 07:56 PM
I am korean. So I can answer to some questions. :)
I saw some documentary about making the Wonderful Days on TV.
They used LW and Maya for 3D. LW was mostly used for 3D.
and 3 Studios(not just one studio) were making that movie .

And the "Spirited Away" the japanese animation.
It will show you a different kind of fantasy. It`s a must-see thing.
After finished watching that movie, I felt as if I just woke up from a dream. They also show us the usual action we do in real life and this makes us as if we were in that world because of its realism.

Wiro
10-08-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Kaiskai
is there a single shot in Atlantis where you can't tell whats done in CG?

All storytelling aside, my point was more that I didn't mind it in Atlantis or Treasure Island nor will I probably in Wonderful Days. But why do the integrations get a thumb up here but not with the Disneys when they obviously did it better?
I mean come on, the Disneys at the very least are toonshaded!

It's just this trend that says "disney bad, manga cool" just because disney's been around in the west for so long. Like you said, Miyazaki too uses the same formulas. We're just not quite use to them yet.

I haven't liked Disney for a while either now because of the annoying cutesy songs and dances and rather childish themes but with Atlantis they seemed to go a bit more mature (no singing, people get killed, big machines and dark caves). Haven't seen Lilo & Stitch yet but TI seemed a bit less childish as well so I'm more than willing to give Disney as much of a chance as some manga.

Wiro

LucentDreams
10-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Just like the crowd that liked TITAN AE for its explosions now we like Atlantis cause people die. And yet you guys complain about the ever crappy starwars cause Lucas things people will come is there are cool effects. and they do, why cause to much of the general public nowadaysonly cares about explosions and awesome CG. Seems to me people have been dying in disney films for quite a while. Or maybe you missed Beauty and the Beast, or howabout Lion King, no? Maybe Hunchback, hell that one had the word Hell 17 or more times in one scene, and then theres pocahantas violence killing the term "injins" and maybe the silhouette of a dead man hanging after you watched him fall to his death wasn't enough in tarzan. Let see mulan, hmm no direct killing in that one I guess, but there is some pretty obvious references to it, look at when Feng zhu asks how many messengers are needed to deliver a message.

As for cel shading, thats part of the problem, Nothing was celshaded in Tarzan, and that was far better any of the other disney ones. The reson it doesn't bother me as much in animeis probably cause its not toon shaded, I mean look at something like macross, and compare that to what they are doing with the 3D now. very similar in the idea of backgrounds and mechanical objects, very highly rendered realistic shading and such. Anime of that style doesn't use toonshading on the environments so why would they now???

The one ting you need to keep in mind when talking about disney, is they are a childrens entertainment studio, if they were really focused on doing an adult animation they would do it under someone like touchstone or mirimax or something.

Well we'll wait till 'Le Tripilettes' (sp?) comes out and then we can look at what real good animation film making is. Oh but wait many here won't like it cause it has music and singing in it, I mean yes its nice to have a change, but really whats wrong with the musical format, you mean to say you don'tlike whats opera doc too? Or how about Pinnochio? Robinhood?

Seems to me the people who like the newer Disney films haven't realised that they are more like anime without good story telling, which is sad cause they are based on classic novels.

Beastie
10-08-2002, 08:30 PM
I agree Wiro, I would have to say I dont care for everything manga, alot of its poor quality. I listed the ones I liked alot. I was merely making a comparison of a few. As far as Disney, I guess we will just have to see which direction they go. I think with the right team, you (Wiro) could make an awesome 3d or 3D/toon shader movie! =) (love your work) Show em up Wiro! :thumbsup:

LucentDreams
10-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Hey big D you have something on your nose, something brown. ;)

But yes its true there is a lto of bad anime, pprobably more than there is bad american stuff, wonder why that is, perhaps cause they produce more animated features per year than north america (Canada and US) likely ever will. YOu also have to remeber that anime covers every genre from preschool educational cartons to ful tilt XXX hentai. Unlike Northamerica, In Asia and especially Japan, Animation is noting more than another film making process and open to any genre. They have romances, underdog sports films you name it, in Japan they pproduce more animated flms per year than live action. And animation directors are highly praised, anyone remember who directed what in the last ten disney films? ANyone name five recent feature animated film directors? But even us north americans can name a few Anime directors. Miyazaki in Japan is like Spielberg here (not in what they produce, but in how they are known) I guess if I lived in Japan I would quckly get sick of it because of all the bad anime I saw, but of course I'm sick of all the live action Shootemup action flicks here in north america, why cause there are so many bad ones.

Wiro
10-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Kaiskai
Just like the crowd that liked TITAN AE for its explosions now we like Atlantis cause people die.

Uh, point missed.
I just said past Disney's have catered for a young audence. I'm hoping Atlantis is the beginning of a new trend despite it's other failings.

Seems to me people have been dying in disney films for quite a while

But in very romantisized ways what work well with a young audience. Seeing people swallowed randomly by explosions isn't what I'm used to from Disney. I just felt that Atlantis wasn't aimed at children primarily.

As for cel shading, thats part of the problem, Nothing was celshaded in Tarzan, and that was far better any of the other disney ones.

That's your opinion. Mine is that it clashes more without.
Haven't seen Tarzan either though but from the trailers I found it fit not because of the lack of toonshading (or outlines) but because they made it look painted, fitting in with the painted, non-cel shaded backgrounds.

The one ting you need to keep in mind when talking about disney, is they are a childrens entertainment studio,

Sure! I'm just crossing my fingers that they're trying out some different stuff too. But if they decide not to change after all then there are enough other things to watch so I couldn't really care less.

Oh but wait many here won't like it cause it has music and singing in it, I mean yes its nice to have a change, but really whats wrong with the musical format, you mean to say you don'tlike whats opera doc too? Or how about Pinnochio? Robinhood?

Hey, it was only me that said that, most others probably have nothing against it. I don't like the singing because I feel they work like cheap cues -> everyone is singing and laughing, they must be happy, come sing along too!
It's just not my thing but it's of course entirely personal.

Seems to me the people who like the newer Disney films haven't realised that they are more like anime without good story telling, which is sad cause they are based on classic novels.

Well I've seen alot of crap anime too.
But yeah, like I said I'm simply hoping that Disney might try out some new stuff for a change.

BigD: hehe, I think I'll leave the animated features to the pros ;)

Wiro

QuantumPixel
10-08-2002, 09:16 PM
hey nice to see a fellow CDIS as the featured artist nice work.

www.boygonemad.com

Dominique
10-08-2002, 09:23 PM
thanks for clearing up the 3D question (I believe it's one of the first things we all wan to know),

and Chichiro is great,
As you I came out of the movie totally transfered in another world,
just a lot more than happy to have seen a good movie, magic what Myazaki does, true feelings are so important in his characters, anger or love, neither,
just great,

I loved the Yamada's as well

kemamusa
10-08-2002, 11:08 PM
Yes, Disney's doing better job of blending 2D & 3D seamlessly, but I don't think it's all that relevant here. Seeing that the most of the backgrounds in this animation are shots of motion-controled miniatures rather than paintings, I think it was intentional to contrast the 2D and 3D contents for style and introduce depth and realism in the background.. If it was the studio's intention to blend 2D&3D seamlessly, they would've done so, I believe. They certainly aren't lacking in skills, so IMHO, it looks like an experimentaion piece. It's kind of like a stop-motion film except the fact that the actors are 2D and the props are 3D.

http://www.wonderfuldays.co.kr/news/img/16.jpg
top:2D middle:3D bottom:Miniature set

LucentDreams
10-08-2002, 11:22 PM
Popeye in Sinbad the sailor used real background models with 2D characters so thats not really a new technology, its as old as the multiplane. Heck they had to shot the 2D animation on a stand inbetween the spinning model background and the camera, they didn't have the computer to do the compositing.

As for disney changing their style, I think they are pretty near their limit, look at the next couple of flicks they are doing, they are taming it down, as I said before, being a children's entertainment company they will never take it too far under the main company name but under a sub company like mirimax, ever notice that Spirited away is released by disney but princess monoke is under mirimax, consider the content. Perfect proof that Disney has a limit.

Personally I hope disney sticks to the Emperor's new groove formula or perhaps Tarzan, though I doubt we'll see another production like tarzan, that was in the middle of the shift, like pinnochio, Tarzan seems to be a one of a kind timing made the movie kind of production it was, where art was the focus. As for romanticized deaths, personally I think the death of Clayton was far more effective adding a greater mood than actually showing him get hung. Sometimes suggestion is better than really showing it.

AJE
10-08-2002, 11:38 PM
Whatever the case,

I think it looks great. It doesn't need that 100% polished look... infact, I'm glad it doesn't...

It's full of great designs and it has a great feel to it.

I just hope the story is as good as it looks.

AJE

Wiro
10-09-2002, 12:10 AM
My first post didn't come across how I intended so I'll rephraze it;

Why does this look so much better than Treasure Island? I mean, apart from the cool bikes, fightscenes and mechanics :D

Many of the negative comments in the TI thread were about how the CG didnt blend into the drawings that well.
I'm really just curious. I think both TI and WD look awesome.

Wiro

LucentDreams
10-09-2002, 12:27 AM
Well from what little we have they both have high potential, as for TI, the animation on Silver and that other robot guy, hey topnotch seamless, bet a lot of people won't have any cluse that the arm is all cg. But the backgrounds like when he's on his sail skateboard thing, come one he really stands out compared to everythng around him, his board the environment.

I mean look at this shot from wonderful days.
http://www.cgi.third-era.com/~kaiskai/ws.jpg

kemamusa
10-09-2002, 03:10 AM
Oh, come on. :D It's still great to see something new, isn't it? I mean, since Lion King, I've never seen anything decent(or different for that matter) coming out from Disney and DreamWorks... Well.. Maybe Emperor's New Groove. But other than that, there weren't any stand outs from these big name studios.
As for people criticizing TI, I think it's because Disney's a gigantic company with a huge pocket and most of all, the unrivaled experience. Compare that to this unknown Tinhouse Studio. This studio has NEVER produced their own feature animation.. It's pretty commendable that they have this "looker" on their first try.

I hope both TI and WD turn out great:bounce:

LucentDreams
10-09-2002, 03:41 AM
hmm I don't know, seems to me Prince of egypt stood out, waaaaay out, waaaay waaay waaaaaaaaaaaaay oout. Never been any like it before or since, and I think thats a good thing, I actually enjoyed it, amazing talent, but thats just not the kind of film that should be animated. I mean epic sure, the the ten commandments whew boy interesting risk they took and it did really well considering. Tarzan seems to stand out IMO, and Iron giant shoudl have bout it only stood out in the classical animators niche, 3D people didn't care and the public didn't care, a shame really, one of the best animated films.

tobyWong
10-09-2002, 07:59 AM
I don't think I was clear on blood. I like the characters in WD better (visually at least, I'm sure personality-wise also...blood didn't have too much to offer there.)

As for the whole "anime = cool" fad, I think I'd disagree. I think a lot more fresh anime gets made (vs. fresh non anime animation) because a lot more anime gets made. I'm sure most of the anime you never ever EVER hear of is absolutly abysmal.

And disney, my take on animation is singing=bad. If i wanted to see people break out singing to tell a story for no rational reason, I'd go to a musical. But I hate musicals so I would'nt. I liked atlantis alot... I hope they go in that direction.

Anyone else hear the rumors that disney is going to be setting up a 3d shop to comptete with pixar when pixar decides to break free? Just curious...

peace

LucentDreams
10-09-2002, 08:45 AM
uuuhhhh well lets seee disney has their own 3D shop, and has ahd it for wuite a while, where do you think Disney's Dinosaur came from? As for whose directing the next flick from the disney 3D studio, Well its the same director producer combo that brought us the emperor's new groove, so I see potential, as for the rumored betrayl to pixar or splitsville or whichever rumor you have heard, thats more related to Vanguard (sp?) studios, who it seems at the moment is in deals with Disney for the CG film Valiant about wartime pigeons I guess. Designs look cool hard to say whether it would be a good film or not. Odd soap opera twist enters here, Vanguard worked with PDI on shrek. small world eh ;)

AJE
10-09-2002, 10:38 AM
where do you think Disney's Dinosaur came from

If you're referring to 'the Secret Lab'... it no longer exists.

LucentDreams
10-09-2002, 11:34 AM
yes its not the same physical studio or even all the same crew, a lot are classical animators retrained (shows how smart disney is with their money) but its still disneys own 3D studio. Man the secret lab was open for how long, all new studio and equipment, even new people for a lot of it, and then gone with the wind in the blink of an eye, disney has some really dumb execs

aurora
10-09-2002, 01:16 PM
First, since I started the whole war against Disney in this thread, which I did not mean to do. I have to stand up for Disneys Tarzan. It was their first real use of Deep Canvas which had and I think with alittle work still has some tremendous potential. But as with the insane booting of the Secret Lab, the lack of use of Deep Canvas Disney has nuked themselves in my opinion. Those retrained artists were trained for Tarzan and the future use of Deep Canvas. But it has seemed to have disappeared into vaporware land. Most of what they put out is at least good, not original, but good, solid work. TI, has some promise to it, more so then did Titan, as a movie.
My question was why do we never see some of these great movies here in the US. Because they are not big names which the general public know and trust. What little most Americans know about Asian Anime is in the form of Pokemon and Digimon. Which lets face it is not the same thing as this or some other wondeful Anime films some of which have been named in this thread. With out names, theres no money, with no hope of riches and glory it usually just does not happen in the US.
So my next question is which is more important, riches from money, or riches from sparking the imagination, creativity, desire, hope and love of something, anything?

Beastie
10-09-2002, 05:51 PM
Yes Aurora, amen! Thats what i was trying to say earlier. I have my own dislikes about Both Disney AND anime but my main argument was exactly what you said. Disney's corporate grip on the animation industry in American and the rest of the world, as I see it, has probably prevented some great and original animated features from ever being created AND lessened the money and fame that SHOULD of been given to other animated features which would of spawned new animated features from those companies. Lets face it, it takes money to make these things. The amount of money that has been poured into the whole Disney franchise is MUCH GREATER than the outputed quality of its productions! I think we should expect more from Disney considering the amount of money and worship they recieve. :wip:

aurora
10-09-2002, 06:51 PM
BigD - Perfect case in point SquareSofts movie production division evaporated as it were as soon as they finished there entry for the 'Animatrix'. How sad is that. yes there was a few techincal problems with 'Final Fantasy' but man what potential they had.

Beastie
10-09-2002, 08:39 PM
Yes Aurora! Oh man I really hoped that Final Fantasy would open a new genre of animated features. You should of seen the despair on my face after I watched the movie. Square was so desperate to make a movie that the American public would except that they......... USED A STORY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN ANY OF THEIR GAMES!!! If they would of made a movie true to final fantasy, omg the fans would of loved it and Square maybe found out that their content really IS good and the general public would of too. I really thought that Square had a chance to make a movie to change the way people think of completely animated features......instead they made a sci-fi movie. I dont remember final fantasy being a space adventure....... I loved final fantasy storylines (maybe make the main character less whiny ;) ) and i think it would of made a great movie! It was a let down for me. I know many prolly wont agree with me but I think its the truth. Everyone THINK about this view before flaming the idea!!!!!

tobyWong
10-10-2002, 06:50 AM
Wartime pigons?! Sounds like it's gonna do as well as watership down(the studio that made watership down went belly up after it came out.) Well I hope it does better than I think it will do.:shrug:

AJE
10-10-2002, 07:16 AM
Disney execs pulled the same garbage with DreamQuest Images, that teams last project was Reign of Fire. Like the movie of not, the animation and fx was pretty solid.

And now they've bought out Vanguard, which is unfortunate because I can guess that in the next 2 years, they will meet the same fate.... disbanded and looking for work as individuals.

As for FF:TSW, with that kind of money behind the project, the should have chosen a stronger, more mainstream story.
The designs were great, the look was great.
I think stronger facial animation, and strongr story would have launched a whole new genre of pseudo-realism in 3D features.

AJE

xyth
10-10-2002, 01:22 PM
Hiya,

I've read almost all of the replies, but now I feel I have to join as well. Still, I don't really see where is the point to compare Disney's fluffy, pink, candy flossy world with this piece which is more close to Final Fantasy and Ghost in the shell. It's not that "yes, at the end everybody will be happy and the girl and the boy will have sex at the end (adult version of Disney's ;)". I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast, Lionking and these. And don't really want to. ;)

Please correct me, if I'm wrong: as I know Final Fantasy and Titan A.E. wasn't a big success in the US. Here, in Hungary, we love(d) it! These movies those kind, when you have to use your brain and imagination. If you don't, you can say it was only waste of time (of course even if you do use your jelly), there wasn't real story. But there was. The good movie -in general- creates more question than answer, makes you think, and cannot be described in one sentence.

Does the Earth blow up in the first 5 minutes (in TAE)? Yes, but that's the question, what would you do if it would happen with you... What would be the motivation to go forward? And that's only 2 basic question from the infinite space of imagination.

About mixing the styles, it is a good thing: handdrawn animations are still the best and fastest productions which can express feelings, movements. Not with cg, as it seen in FF, that was poor. Not in every case, but in most of them, unfortunately. CG can be used for items, as here, and background just good as matte paintings. That's just the "ultimate combination", imho. :)

Okay, that's the shortest I could make.
-xyth

ambient-whisper
10-22-2002, 07:09 AM
about disneys 3d lab.
a friend who works in post ( some fox owned company) said that disney made a new 3d building and are going to make a full 3d movie or something like it next. they were supposed to start hiring before the summer. "apparantely" and actually i heard this from more than one person. and i think i remember seeying an ad on highend about something related to it as well.

anyhoo. huge project. lots of hiring. :)

( btw. i thought that blood sucked nuts. :) animation was good. everything else was stale. i been an anime fan since about 1986, so i dont think i consider myself to be in the "fad" category.:) if i see something bad. i will tell you with "eyes unclouded" :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.